Archive for Monday, July 18, 2011

Courtroom full of police and detectives sees 21-year-old man sentenced for injuring Lawrence officer

July 18, 2011

A Douglas County judge Monday sentenced a 21-year-old Lawrence man to serve more than five years in prison for injuring a Lawrence police officer in a February incident.

District Judge Kay Huff ordered the sentence for Louis G. Galloway Jr. in front of a packed courtroom full of about 30 Lawrence police officers and detectives.

“The court will sentence Mr. Galloway to the aggravated sentence of 69 months in light of the permanent injury to Officer (Jonathon) Evinger,” Huff said.

A jury in May convicted Galloway of punching and injuring Evinger in a Feb. 26 confrontation near 26th and Iowa streets. According to testimony at the two-day trial, Evinger and another officer, Stephen Ramsdell, were trying to arrest Galloway for driving on a suspended license. Galloway disputed that he was driving.

Evinger said in court that he has internal eye injuries that will never allow him to patrol again at night.

“This is an injury that greatly affects my career and everyday life outside of work,” Evinger said.

During a lengthy statement from Galloway that his defense attorney Michael Clarke read, the defendant briefly apologized to Evinger and his own family but also accused officers of profiling him because his father, Louis Galloway Sr., is in prison.

“I'm going to dislike the law even more and throw my life away easily,” Galloway Jr. said. “You can't put me in prison and expect a better person.”

Clarke asked Huff to sentence Galloway to serve a maximum 62 months in prison, and Clarke said Galloway could get treatment in prison for anger management and other issues.

But prosecutors had sought the 69-month sentence plus an additional three years in jail on three misdemeanor convictions related to the incident.

“He's here, if you would believe him, for every reason except for his own actions,” said David Melton, a chief assistant district attorney. “And that’s exactly why he's here, your honor. He's here because on the night in question he turned what should have been a minor, run-of-the-mill traffic stop into an incident where Officer Evinger was seriously injured.”

Huff did allow Galloway to serve his time for the misdemeanors while he was serving his prison sentence.

Comments

faceit 3 years ago

Shame on the police to show up and try to intimidate a new judge. Huff is still struggling to get comfortable (she's not a natural at this and honestly is not a good fit as a judge) with court room leadership. She struggles with details and procedures on a daily basis. Seems she is always playing catch-up.
Obviously, Galloway has not accepted responsibility for his actions, so I do agree with the sentence.

UNIKU 3 years ago

Are you freakin' serious! Shame on the POLICE!! For showing up in support of a brother officer after this POS attacked one? This slimeball could have (and IMO should have) been tasered or worse at the scene of the crime.

scott3460 3 years ago

I assume, although it is not so stated in the article, that none of the police who showed up in support were "on the clock."

If so, then I have no problem with them gathering in a public proceeding.

If they were being paid, that seems a misuse of our police state resources which would be better serving us by writing seat belt tickets and avoiding such close proximity to actual criminals.

ivalueamerica 3 years ago

I think it is very disengenous and emotional of you to suggest that faceit, whom I do NOT agree with, only motive was to attack the police for supporting a fellow officer.

I think that there is a very legitimate question to the fact that one arm of the justice system respect the process and not only avoid interfering, but avoid the appearance of interfering.

There have been times in our history when a show of force like this was used to intimidate though it is clearly obvious none of those concepts were in effect in this case, I do not question the patriotism and concern someone may have about questioning the appearance.

ivalueamerica 3 years ago

I realize emotional knee jerk reactions are how you try and make a point, but again, the comment was directed at a perceived interference in the justice process, not scolding the police for showing support for one of their own.

Where your total and utter failure arises is both the fact that you are a knee jerk emotional reacitionary, but also that you can only fathom one point of view.

I clearly stated that I do NOT agree with faceit on any level, the ability to see where others are coming from is generally a better starting point than hysterical platitudes.

sweetiepie 3 years ago

What?? What makes you say that the police were trying to intimidate a new judge? I assumed they were just showing support for their fellow officer. And if she is intimidated by people in her courtroom, then she better toughen up right away.

kernal 3 years ago

faceit, you must be joking. No one could possibly believe that. I'm pretty sure the LPD officers were there in force as a message to the Galloways and their friends, not Judge Huff.

teller 3 years ago

They weren't trying to intimidate the judge! They were showing their support for their fellow officer and showing Galloway they stand by each other and will not tolerate abuse.

Flap Doodle 3 years ago

The miscreant will still be in his 20s when he gets out. Plenty of time to re-offend and get another, perhaps longer, trip to the Crossbar Hotel on the public's dime.

Flap Doodle 3 years ago

Maybe his next victim will do the world a huge favor and put him six feet under. We can always hope.

BlackVelvet 3 years ago

Considering a relative of this young man didn't get serious prison time until his4th conviction for rape...I sure hope he doesn't reoffend. But statistics say he will

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

I wonder why the statistics say he will...is the current prison system ineffectual? Yes, yes it is. Instead of rehabilitating, our prisons assimilate, educate and culminate in the production of better criminals. And why is that? Perhaps it's because the prisons are full of nonviolent offenders and so we have to let people out early to create room for more. The Prison-Industrial Complex is self perpetuating.

BlackVelvet 3 years ago

Or perhaps some folks are just plain evil and will always be that way?

Adrienne Sanders 3 years ago

"“You can't put me in prison and expect a better person.”"

He's right about that, though.

wordsofwisdom 3 years ago

His own actions put him in prison, just as his own actions won't allow him to be a better person.

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

Instead of a fine and counseling for anger management we'll send the guy to prison, waste a ton of tax dollars, and be left with a better criminal to deal with in a few years. Great plan you have there, Junior!

kansasredlegs 3 years ago

While the hearing is certainly open to the public and I applaud anyone who takes an interest to show up, the disturbing thing here is that Chief Khatib went to the City Commission to request 5 more police officers due to shortage of personnel for "our safety" but here we have 30+ officers taking the time from protecting the community for their own self interests. Be interesting to learn whether the 30 officers and detectives drove their own vehicles or caught a taxpayer ride in their patrol cars and detective undercover cars.

Jake Esau 3 years ago

Police do not work 24/7. The officers that were there could easily have been off duty at the time the sentencing occurred.

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

Wait a minute! If you ask a cop they'll tell you they're on duty 24/7...whether they've been out partying and are drunk...whatever, they still carry concealed and won't hesitate to put their nose in anyone's business and tell them how it's supposed to be. And if they happen to wonder across your party and they believe the music is too loud, they won't hesitate to jump right in there, start a riotous fight, then shoot you down for attempting to protect your family, friends, and property. But, don't take my word for it...

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

Attorneys for the Llamases and the city filed preliminary witness lists Monday in a lawsuit the brothers filed this past March linked to their being shot and wounded on March 18, 2008, during a confrontation with four off-duty Topeka police officers.

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

Not one bit. I'm offended if they show up to the courtroom to support their 'bro' and they're supposed to be on duty.

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

LOL! The truth hurts that much, does it? You two fellers must be still be in high school. That's the way you act. Krom help us all if you're paid public servants.

Food_for_Thought 3 years ago

You, sir, are ludicrous. First off, District Court is held in the same building where all the LPD patrol cars are...therefore, with the exception of maybe a few detective vehicles, most officers would not have to get into a patrol car to show up to the trial. Secondly, as others have already pointed out your flawed argument, what a cop does on his/her own time is not your business, unless it is unethical or criminal, which attending court to support a fellow officer IS NEITHER OF THOSE. Secondly, officers can only work a set number of hours each week before they go into overtime - costing the city MORE money PER OFFICER. Secondly, there are only an assigned number of officers per shift. Each shift can only work with the resources it has. Maybe if you did your research or used a little common sense, you too could see the error in your statement.

lhsalum 3 years ago

I think what his/her point is, Officers who are on the clock should not be at the court hearing. It would be like you or me (assuming you aren't a police officer) getting paid to go support a friend that is under trial. I think it is great that these officers supported there brother, but I would be pretty upset if i was paying them to do so

lhsalum 3 years ago

Sorry grammar was bad in that post, Went through quickly

BlackVelvet 3 years ago

ksjayhawk74 3 years ago

“You can't put me in prison and expect a better person.”

Tip: Don't tell the parole board that.

riverdrifter 3 years ago

Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner.

MarcoPogo 3 years ago

Maybe a certain someone shouldn't have taken some swings at an officer. How is this result confusing in the least?

Richard Payton 3 years ago

Jr and Sr will not be in the same prison will they?

puddleglum 3 years ago

ouch! I can hear the wailings of alexanderfreshpowder from here!

Forever 3 years ago

Kansasredleg I know this officer and family. He WAS an outstanding officer. Shame on you for putting down fellow employees who took there time out to support a fellow officer who by the way put his life on the line to protect and serve our community.(That would include protecting you). Just so you know this officers career is now over. He will no longer be able to serve and protect you.

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

Serve and Protect actually means "serve warrants and protect your buddy's booty." The new police motto is "obey or die."

He can probably get a job as a Wal-Mart greeter with all the police training he has. Or he can get over to the Micky-D's and serve me fries.

I'm sure he'll receive a fat disability check from the brotherhood of blue.

teller 3 years ago

I hope you remember this comment when you are in trouble and need the assistance of law enforcement. Don't forget about karma.

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

I don't call 911. I'm quite self sufficient, thanks for your concern though. Karma you say? Tell that to the biggest gang in the country.

Missingit 3 years ago

Self sufficent does not mean you can blog on a computer anonymously!!! You grow your own food, you make your own clothing and medicine. I bet you are far from self-sufficent.

Kim Murphree 3 years ago

The support of one officer, male and female, for another is steeped in tradition, but more, it comes from a shared experience and understanding. Unless you have been a law enforcement officer, you really don't understand what an officer faces to do the job. That's it. As far as comparing one department to another, that's pure bias. Law Enforcement entities are quite different in character due to a variety of contributing factors including; the nature and demographic of the jurisdiction, the leadership philosophy, the education level of officers, the size of the department, and many others. So, to make some blanket statement that is not supported by any kind of study, is just that...an arbitrary statement that carries no real weight. If the officers showed up to support a man who had served with them, who worked with them side by side to protect this city, then I say we have a police/sheriff's law enforcement community that shows a healthy supportive team-oriented character. If they were military; army, navy, marines--you would not accuse them of some antagonistic stance by showing up to support their fellow service member. I suggest you think in those terms until you have an opportunity to walk a mile in their (the police officers') shoes.

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

It's just a few bad apples, right? RIIIIIGHT!

From January 2010 through December 2010 the National Police Misconduct Statistics and Reporting Project recorded 4,861 unique reports of police misconduct that involved 6,613 sworn law enforcement officers and 6,826 alleged victims.

4,861 – Unique reports of police misconduct tracked 6,613 - Number of sworn law enforcement officers involved (354 were agency leaders such as chiefs or sheriffs) 6,826 - Number of alleged victims involved 247 – Number of fatalities associated with tracked reports $346,512,800 – Estimated amount spent on misconduct-related civil judgments and settlements excluding sealed settlements, court costs, and attorney fees.

Missingit 3 years ago

Well you used injustice everywhere. A well known beacon of reporting knowledge and power. I mean there lead reporter Crazy Larry must have done a bang up investigation!! Lets say the stats you choose to make a point are correct. Well lets see. How many police officers are there nationally. NYC has over 50,000 by themselves, LA over 10,000 so there is 60,000 officers in 2 cities. If you look at the total number of officers employeed your numbers will be less then 1%.

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

Police and detectives held about 883,600 jobs in 2008. About 79 percent were employed by local governments. State police agencies employed about 11 percent. Various Federal agencies employ police and detectives.

Did you know that the last time the US government bothered to gather any information about the problem of police misconduct in the United States was in 2002?

Even then, the study they did only covered 5% of the police departments in the US and, on top of that, participation was only voluntary and relied on what police departments were willing to report about misconduct within their own ranks.

The National Police Misconduct Statistics and Reporting Project (NPMSRP), established in April of 2009, is a non-partisan, non-governmental project devoted to help resolve that problem. The NPMSRP gathers data on police misconduct through reports of misconduct made available through the media then generates statistical and trending information based on those reports.

Kim Murphree 3 years ago

I see that you obviously did not understand my comment. As for this response, it really doesn't have anything to do with officers supporting one another and their famlies, does it? Instead, your comment seems to be more about declaring those who serve as law enforcement officers as untrustworthy. My experience is quite different, but again, that is a separate conversation. I am glad that the officers showed up to show moral support for their fellow officer.

jd 3 years ago

Well said. I worked for the Topeka PD years ago and learned first hand what the police deal with day-in, day-out.

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

"Trust me, they are treated more severely than the same ciitizen who make the same mistake." ROFLMFAO! Yeah, you betcha! LOL!

Read up on the Llamas Brothers case in Topeka. This was a blatant cover up by the TPD and prosecutors office. No KBI, no FBI...Just a whole lot of paid vacation for the drunken idiots (police officers) and then business as usual. Happens every day across the country, but, hey, don't let the truth change your opinion.

topflight 3 years ago

Oh my goodness? HollisBrown is so delusional it hurts. You feel sorry for a guy who punched a police officer? Really? I would also like to know why you were in the courtroom when the officer was getting charged? Oh wait, you hate cops, that's right. What happened? Get in a little trouble did we? I am betting you smacked you wife around or something. Just a guess though. Or maybe this is something someone told your friend that told their friend that told you. No facts. And to be completely honest, I feel the exact opposite is true. If a cops gets a DUI, I think it is even harder for them to be found innocent just because they are a cop. A guilty cop should be spanked just like everyone else. Additionally, what does a cop getting a DUI have to do with a cop getting punched in the face? NOTHING.

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

I would like to know why the guy started swinging. Did the police pull him over, appoach the car and dude just bitch-slapped the cop for shots and giggles? Is there a recording of the incident available to the public?

I know it's hard for the bootlickers to believe, but I've been harrased by LPD in the past for no reason other than driving a hoopty car with JoCo tags and getting off at the east I-70 exit. The cop just wanted to know why I was in Lawrence...driving a hoopty...and if he could search my car (which I let him do). Fricking ridiculous. You know what he found under the seat? A key chain with about 75 keys on it (i owned an apartment building at the time), which he of course didn't believe simply because I was driving a crappy car. I literally had to call my mother and let her explain to the 'officer' that what I was saying was true.

After several incidents whereby I've been harrassed for no reason, and court dates whereby the police collude then lie through their teeth (under oath), I've come to the point that I trust the police about as far as I can throw them.

Missingit 3 years ago

So crazy Larry the only problem I have with your story is you said you had joco tags. I mean that makes you a golden boy and people who blog here only complain about KC and Topeka. As far as being "harassed" did the officer say he stopped you for a crappy car or did he stop you because you did something illegal or did your car have some defective item, I mean you did say you had a "hoopty." just asking

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

I lived in JoCo at the time and was driving a friend back to Lawrence. He specifically called the car a hoopty and said he pulled me over because I was speeding (which was a lie). I'm sure he was hoping I was some kind of drug mule and he was going to get the bust of the week. I mentioned to him that pulling me over because I drove a hoopty was profiling. No tickets were issued, he just wanted to search the hoopty and speak with my mom, apparently.

teller 3 years ago

But yet you've had court dates? And no tickets? Now I'm confused. And every time you had a court date, you were wrongly accused? You must have a storm cloud chasing you around!

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

Well, you see, I've only explained but one law enforcement interaction while referencing several in my initial post.

My first experience occurred at the young age of 20. I was passenger in a hot rod pulled over by johnny law in Independence, MO (people used to cruise Noland Rd). I had drank one beer on the drive over from KCK (three guys w/ three beers) and placed the empty can on the floorboard by my feet--well before we got stopped for excessive acceleration. My mistake was that I did not crush the can.

The cops arrested us all (minor in possession of alcohol), they put us in the back of a paddy wagon with stainless steel seating and noting to hold onto, then proceeded to rapidly accelerate and decelerate all over town (flinging us wildly around in the back). I believe that they jumped some railroad tracks at one point.

Went to court and told the judge the truth (beer can was empty)...cop said the can had beer in it and was 'cool to the touch,' and my distrust for police started then. I was sentenced to 40 hours community service, which I tried to get the judge to waive because I was leaving for active duty army in about 10 days. Apparently, 4 years of service to the country was not enough for the 'judge.' I spent my last week as a citizen cleaning the racquetball court walls at the local YMCA.

There have been a few other incidents whereby the police have colluded and lied under oath over traffic offenses. I won't bore you with them now. Call me what you will, but I can only speak from experience. And before you say it, yes, I know how hard the job is as I've participated in several police department 'citizen's academies.' I could tell you some corrupt BS that I witnessed during that time as well.

Amy Heeter 3 years ago

No he hasn't. Plenty of people tried to help Louie but he willingly made poor Choices.He did have a rotten home life very often without food in the house while his mother sat in the bar. But still there were people who fed him, teachers, social workers etc that tried to help. he was a angry kid that grew into a violent and immoral adult. Maybe prison won't help him but it sure the heck won't hurt him either

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

He should have applied to become a cop.

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

Imagine it...you could be calling him a 'brother' right now. Shangri-La...

brujablanco 3 years ago

Why does it not surprise me that the all-knowing arti would tell other people's business on here? Who are you to judge whether this boy was actually helped as you say? Just what is immoral in your eyes? Adultery, unmarried young girls having babies they can't support, sons striking their disabled mothers? Hmmmm.

Tell me, what is the difference between a 21 year old man and a 40 something woman comitting battery on an LEO?

RoeDapple 3 years ago

Now if the same cops were lined up outside the gate when he is released . . .

Linda Endicott 3 years ago

Just as a matter of curiosity...

Would this kid have gotten the same sentence if he'd hit anyone else, and not a cop?

And was it proven in court that he hit the cop with the intent of permanently injuring his eye?

Shouldn't intent have something to do with the sentence?

I've known guys that were hit in the eye (you probably have, too)...and it didn't result in a permanent injury...sometimes that's just the luck of the draw...strange things happen sometimes...doesn't mean that the kid intended to hurt him that way...

Food_for_Thought 3 years ago

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

You should take some advice from good ol' Honest Abe.

Read Kansas laws before opening your mouth. First off, the State of Kansas (as do other states in the USA) DO view an attack on a law enforcement officer (uniformed and acting within his/her duties, not 24/7) as a greater offense. Look it up.

Also, read that same law and note that INTENT is not the only form of being guilty of the crime Galloway was convicted of. If a person attacks and injures a law enforcement officer in a RECKLESS manner, he/she is guilty of the crime as well.

Learn the law before you flap your jaw.

Linda Endicott 3 years ago

I can flap my jaw just as much on this site as you can...it's still a free country, isn't it?

If it isn't, please let all your neighbors know...they probably haven't figured out yet that you think it's illegal for others to have a different opinion from yours...

Linda Endicott 3 years ago

I would like to think the judge would have asked that if he had hit anyone else in the eye...

Five years seems like a lot of time just for hitting someone in the eye...there's no way the guy could possibly have known it would have injured him like that...would you have known?

xclusive85 3 years ago

Well, seeing the injuries caused by punches before, yes I could infer that there is a possibility for severe injuries by punching someone in the eye. Ignorance is not a defense for reckless actions.

wtfusa 3 years ago

Cops are good, and cops are bad. It's because they are imperfect people. However, being a cop puts a overwhelming amount of power into one's hands. That is why we need to hold cops to the HIGHEST standards of law, and currently the exact opposite is true. The Blue Code exists and it is wrong, it is not what our nation is about.

but in this case everything seems to go as it should. Maybe think about the boy's point that a prison is no place to rehabilitate someone to be fit for society, I'd vote for giving this kid specialized community service, like 1000 hours helping guide the blind.

teller 3 years ago

Except for this kid would rob the blind he was supposed to help! LOL

DRsmith 3 years ago

Wow, dunkin donuts must have been a ghost town.

jweishaar89 3 years ago

Wow....And Casey Anthony got away with murder, but 69 months for this? Ridiculous. Sending youth to prison is a great way of creating harder criminals when they are released. Way to go Justice system!

jweishaar89 3 years ago

And just because one is a cop doesn't him or her a outstanding citizen...for example http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/jul...

skinny 3 years ago

Jweishaar89, Mr Galloway should have gotten 8 years with his history!! Hopefully when Mr Galloway he gets out of prison you get to meet this fine outstanding fellow!

jweishaar89 3 years ago

Once again...I'm just pointing out the inconsistencies of the justice system.

grammaddy 3 years ago

Amen Skinny! This is not his first offense. If getting shot in a robbery attempt last year at Easy living trailer court didn't make him see the error of his ways, nothing wil! Glad to see Jr. off the street for a while. Louis Sr. will be so proud.

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

Yeah, hopefully prison will rehabilitate the man and he'll actually come out a better person. Someone who's going to be an asset to society. What do you think?

grammaddy 3 years ago

Doubtful.It's in his genes. Sr. has been locked up quite a few times, just to get out and offend again.

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

I doubt it has much to do with genes. More likely a failing/ailing criminal justice system.

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

Nurture not nature. Sounds like the younger was lacking a father-figure to guide him while growing up. Prison should be a last resort, but, just like the military, it's turned into big business.

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

But, hey! It's only tax dollars wasted.

Exhibit A:

For years, the juvenile court system in Wilkes-Barre operated like a conveyor belt: Youngsters were brought before judges without a lawyer, given hearings that lasted only a minute or two, and then sent off to juvenile prison for months for minor offenses.

The explanation, prosecutors say, was corruption on the bench.

In one of the most shocking cases of courtroom graft on record, two Pennsylvania judges have been charged with taking millions of dollars in kickbacks to send teenagers to two privately run youth detention centers.

Exhibit B:

4,861 – Unique reports of police misconduct tracked
6,826 - Number of alleged victims involved
247 – Number of fatalities associated with tracked reports

MarcoPogo 3 years ago

Hmm, the prosecution must have done their job on this one, which is more than can be said in Florida...

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

What you describe appears to be abuse by the police. Surely you jest.

RoeDapple 3 years ago

69 months isn't so bad for a repeat offender, still think the same cops should be there when he gets released. Hey, if Casey gets a police escort out of jail . . .

Hey Hollis I got your back! Let's rock 'n roll outa this joint!

ferrislives 3 years ago

Yeah, Mr. Galloway is a good person alright: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/nov...

And don't even get me started on dear old dad. Just look him up; he has the same name. The apple obviously didn't fall far from this tree!

Stop your bellyaching, and be glad that a repeat offender with not much of a future is in prison. Who knows what he'll do next time.

Remember, these are his own words:

"I'm going to dislike the law even more and throw my life way easily,” Galloway Jr. said. “You can't put me in prison and expect a better person.".

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

Do you put people in prison expecting them to come out better? If so, the system is broken because that ain't happening.

jweishaar89 3 years ago

Amen Crazy Larry...Amen...

ferrislives 3 years ago

True. prison isn't really rehab; it's punishment. Apparently in your world there would be no punishment, just therapy and hand-holding.

Benthic 3 years ago

Sad to hear an officer sustained a permanent injury during the line of duty. They are the ones who risk their personal safety in keeping the rest of us safe.

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

LOL! You bought that line of crapola hook, line and sinker. When's the last time a cop kept you safe? They hand out tickets and investigate crimes after they've occurred. And the sad fact is, they're job is not as dangerous as a trash man, roofer, construction worker, farmer or fisherman....

Missingit 3 years ago

A cop saved mine when a person broke into my house and I was unarmed. The officer got there fast and he escorted the individual to jail. The misunderstood individual that u may have called him crazy Larry had a long record of dangerous person crimes. So there is 1. Lastly Crazy Larry when do you and Smitty eat brunch?

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

What? Did they cut your arms off? Are you some kind of freakin' communist? Ever hear of a Glock Model 27? I suggest you purchase one, learn to use it, and quit relying on the po-po to protect you...the next time you may not be so lucky.

FYI: The police have no duty to protect the citizens who pay them.

By a 4-3 decision the court decided that Warren was not entitled to remedy at the bar despite the demonstrable abuse and ineptitude on the part of the police. The court held that official police personnel and the government employing them are not generally liable to victims of criminal acts for a failure to provide adequate police protection.

Who is this 'smitty' fella? Another bringer of facts? If so, we may get along just fine. The truth is a bitter pill to swallow, isn't it?

Missingit 3 years ago

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

Well, I got my first gun at 9--a BB gun. I'm perfectly aware of the proper use of home defense and tactics. And, you desperately need to reread the wiki article because it is painfully obvious that you did not comprehend the information contained therein... I've pasted a video below, which you may find valuable should your home ever be invaded again by burglars (or otherwise). Good day.

Missingit 3 years ago

It takes more than owning a gun for years to be responsible for it's use!! I had a BB gun too, a great Red Rider!! But what does that get when the guy who was arrested had a .22. Well I think I would have been injured and he might have got a welt!! But from most of your posts I think you own many guns but are probably not mature enough to know when is the right time to use 1 or know when to respect the people who protect your rights!

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

Does six years active duty army count for anything? Hey lady! You're preaching to the choir.

Protect my rights!

ROFLMFAO! m/ LOL!

Wow! Good one. Please continue. Laughing is good for your health.

Linda Endicott 3 years ago

I hope you don't just throw around the "r" word every time you get angry at someone...you just insulted a whole lotta people and their families out there...

BlackVelvet 3 years ago

" I don't hate cops. You couldn't pay me enough to do that job. Yep, I've had a couple of DUI's, but it sure as hell wasn't a cop's fault, it was mine. Cops always get blamed for doing their job...." For someone who doesn't hate cops, you seem to spend a lot of time raggin' on them. Oh and BTW, I know someone with the last name Brown who is a child molester. So there.

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

I'm sure he meant to say 'busy-body boot lickers.'

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

I digress, the punch may be well justified if the police man is perpetrating an unlawful arrest.

beatrice 3 years ago

A punch is not justified even in the case of an unlawful arrest. We have the courts to make the call on what is and what isn't a lawful arrest.

Just consider all the people in jail who claim their innocence. In their minds, they were all arrested unlawfully. Think they should all have just taken swings at their arresting officers? I don't think so.

beatrice 3 years ago

I stand correct, and had no idea. Very interesting indeed.

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

You stand corrected. Glad I could help.

}- The More You Know! -{

DillonBarnes 3 years ago

Of course in this situation they were trying to arrest him for driving on a suspended license. In this case, he had no right to resist arrest.

Of course you'll point out that we don't know if the officer was using additional force and the man resisted the extra force. We don't know for sure, but personally, I think it's a safe assumption they did not.

Looks like I hijacked the thread; I beg your pardon. :-|

monkeywrench1969 3 years ago

After being shot and surviving why wouldn't someone take that as an omen to make your life right.

After reading some of these comments about how they cops are so evil, why shouldn't they back each other...it is easy to get jaded no one is going to back your from some of the posters here...blaming them for bad cops in other cities. The cops I know and live near are like everyone else except they step up and try and protect others. Why shouldn't they show support for their own.

As far as showing support in court they got ragged on for showing support to civilians too.

They can never win

akt2 3 years ago

Just wondering what this guy has to offer society. And what he's done that he wasn't caught for. Add it all up and prison is the only outcome. Better sooner than later. Less chance of innocent people being caught up in his criminal behavior.

jayarch 3 years ago

why is it that child molesters get lesser sentences than this?

jayarch 3 years ago

in no way am i condoning what happened to Officer Evinger, i hope that he is doing as well as he possibly can be doing.

BlackVelvet 3 years ago

Smitty must be on vacation. Oh wait, I said something to/about smitty. This post will now be deleted. ouch!

verity 3 years ago

Not smart to resist arrest. Not smart to hit a police officer. Pretty simple really. Not a fight you're going to win.

Paula Kissinger 3 years ago

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

So, you're the infamous smitty all the flunkies have been raving about around here? Nice to finally read from you, and good post. I vigorously concur with your assessment. There may be only a few 'bad apples' out there bullying and walking all over citizen's contitutional rights, but if a 'good' cop covers for a 'bad' cop in any way what-so-ever then they're nothing but a P.O.S. too.

Nod to the smitty; keep up the fine work, Sir.

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

I vigorously concur. The Justice System has morphed into the "Just Us" System, and people need to wake up to that fact and do something to remedy the situation.

Have you seen this: http://www.injusticeeverywhere.com/

tanaumaga 3 years ago

Crazy Larry, go back to your fireworks stand and remain quiet until next year please.

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

Are you in the market for high quality fireworks at wholesale prices? Then come on down! To Crazy_Larry's House of Boom! We'll make sure you go home happy, or, at least to the hospital.

purplesage 3 years ago

Police do not hold one another to the same standards that the general public obeys. A simple example is the matter of showing a badge if stopped for speeding.

That said, this is intimidation. The guns, badges, uniforms and the militarization of police make the presence of a large number intimidating - and they know it. This is more than a show of support. It is the "us against them" part of the police personality showing its public face.

The police officer was injured and bears the marks of the encounter with this man. But against whom did he commit a crime? On one level, against the individual who was injured; on another, he committed the crime against the society in the larger context. And it all started over a confrontation about who was driving a vehicle? Pretty high price to pay by all concerned.