Archive for Sunday, July 17, 2011

Rescue teams remove fifteen from Kansas River after search, none injured

July 17, 2011, 7:57 p.m. Updated July 17, 2011, 10:31 p.m.

Law enforcement officers speak with a group of people who were on a float trip down the Kansas River on Sunday evening. The group was made up of mostly teenagers who had little or no contact with their parents, who then became concerned. Rescue teams searched for the group and there were no injuries.

10:31 p.m.

Sgt. Steve Lewis said the 15 people, who were on a float trip, trickled in from the Kansas River and got out at Riverfront Park from around 9:30 to 10 p.m. The group used canoes, life jackets, rafts and inner tubes to float down the river. None were injured or appeared to be in any danger.

10:07 p.m.

According to Lawrence Douglas County Fire-Medical division chief Joe Hoelscher, a total of 15 people have been found and removed from the Kansas River. None of them were injured. Rescue crews had originally conducted a search for just five teenagers after they had not contacted their parents.

Stay logged on to LJWorld.com for more details.

9:20 p.m

Douglas County Sheriff's Department sergeant Steve Lewis confirmed that officers from the department and Lawrence police are assisting Jefferson County in the search for five kids believed to be in their late teens and from the Perry area. Lewis said the kids had put their boats in at the Delaware River south of Perry Lake.

Lawrence Douglas County Fire-Medical sent a search boat around 8:45 p.m. that headed upstream from Lawrence to look for the party.

Lewis said he was not aware that Douglas County had made contact with the children as of 9:15 p.m., but said another agency had. Jefferson County dispatchers said they had not made contact with the children.

Original post

Douglas and Jefferson county law enforcement officers are searching for "about five" kids along the Kansas River near Lecompton. According to Douglas County dispatchers, the children were supposed to have returned home but are not answering their cell phones.

Crews were set up in Riverfront Park around 8:30 p.m., which only access point to put a boat on the Kansas River between Lawrence and Lecompton. Rescue teams were searching the Delaware River, west of Lecompton, as well.

The agencies are checking the availability of an air boat or helicopter to assist in the search as of 7:50 p.m.

Stay logged on to LJWorld.com for updates as they are available.

Comments

sulliedotcom 3 years, 5 months ago

Let's hope they just don't have cell reception and that they'll head back soon. Also, can't they tracked them down my cell signal (if there is one)?

Shelly Welcher 3 years, 5 months ago

Praying for a safe return of these children.

riverdrifter 3 years, 5 months ago

"The agencies are checking the availability of an air boat or helicopter to assist in the search." Army Corps of Engineers has a fast, big Diamondback air boat but not sure if it's in the area. Come on home, kids.

PLKaws23 3 years, 5 months ago

LEO have found their vehicles and life vests near the Delaware River. No signs of the kids as of yet.Search crews are currently on the river in Lawrence heading west, Perry Dam heading south and have crews on the ground searching with ATV's.

PLKaws23 3 years, 5 months ago

That's the word. The phone that was used to try and find their location was indeed reported as AT&T

PLKaws23 3 years, 5 months ago

And the kids recently had contact with Jeff. Co sheriff, they have Douglas Co rescue boat in sight.

riverdrifter 3 years, 5 months ago

Perry Lake is only discharging 25 cfs. so the the current would be very slow on the Delaware. The Kaw river gage at the Lecompton bridge (just downstream of the Dealware) shows a relatively low discharge of 2730 cfs.

H_Lecter 3 years, 5 months ago

KDWP has a really nice enclosed airboat that I've seen at the Lecompton landing. It has a 60 mph top end w/a 550hp motor. I'll bet it has large screen GPS. http://www.midwestrescueairboats.com/client_testimonials

davidmcg 3 years, 5 months ago

JeffCO Sheriff has talked to the missing kids on a celphone. They have told JFCO Deputies they are near Lawrence Power Plant and they ca see a boat in the water with blinking lights and a dock. The kids are on a raft and drifting.

Celeste Plitz 3 years, 5 months ago

Are you saying they were found, PLKaws? My dad sure has some stories about his childhood and swimming the river by the dam...didn't end well for his cousin. :( Those rivers can be so treacherous...I sure hope these kids are ok.

PLKaws23 3 years, 5 months ago

The last I've heard, one of the kids talked to a Jeff. Co. Sheriff on the phone, they could see the Douglas. Co. rescue boat. However, I'm only on Jefferson county frequency so I can't report anything else. They were located near the power plant off the Kaw.

yoornotmee 3 years, 5 months ago

Cell phones and vehicles? Are these teenagers?

Heather Perry 3 years, 5 months ago

So is it official? Have they been found?

davidmcg 3 years, 5 months ago

They have all the kids in a rescue boats now. DGCO terminated incident

Clare Galloway 3 years, 5 months ago

Thank god they were found hope they are all ok

kjo_shorty 3 years, 5 months ago

So according to the update, they have not been found?

nnelson 3 years, 5 months ago

I spoke with Sgt. Lewis and he could not yet confirm that they had found the kids, but we'll keep you posted as we get an official confirmation.

perryproud 3 years, 5 months ago

Wondering the same thing! Have they been found?

Wifeto1Momto4 3 years, 5 months ago

the updated post says as of 9:20p they have not made contact with the boys - who is getting this info that the boys are found safe?

Heather Perry 3 years, 5 months ago

if they have been found why is LJW not reporting that?

kjo_shorty 3 years, 5 months ago

I heard on the police scanner that they had been located and rescued. I only got confused when LJ World said it was not confirmed.

RubyVrooom 3 years, 5 months ago

There is an online feed of the police scanner. They just said they loaded five kids into their boat, and parents are on the way to pick them up.

kjo_shorty 3 years, 5 months ago

Yes, Ruby. That is correct. Thank goodness they are safe.

nnelson 3 years, 5 months ago

Hi everyone.

I know officers are still on the scene at Riverfront Park. I have heard on the police scanner that they have found them but they are still on the water in rafts and other flotation devices. I'm waiting until they bring them and for law enforcement officials to confirm that before we can give an official update.

Nick Nelson LJWorld.com reporter

Wifeto1Momto4 3 years, 5 months ago

Thank you Ruby - where do you find the online scanner? I can't seem to find it. . . . . . .

kjo_shorty 3 years, 5 months ago

Wifeto1Momto4, mine is on my iPhone and called 5-0 Radio. It's awesome. I know most other smart phones also offer the app.

RubyVrooom 3 years, 5 months ago

It looks like we are not allowed to post links here. But if you do a search for a site called radio reference, then click on Kansas, then on Douglas County you should be able to listen to the feed.

empccb 3 years, 5 months ago

Prayers answered! Maybe tomorrow we'll get a look at their flotation device. I hear it is very unique, that is unless they decided to all fit in the small raft. I'm still praying for no injuries and haven't talked to my son yet. I don't know how many participated in the float but rumor has it there may have been an adult or two along. Many thanks to the rescue team members.

Shelly Welcher 3 years, 5 months ago

Great news!!! A big "shout out" to the rescue team!!!

lakeperry3 3 years, 5 months ago

Alright here is the full story. A group of teenagers put in the Delaware River in Perry early in the afternoon. After it started to get late a concerned parent called the police. Jefferson County Sheriff, Perry PD, Douglas County Sheriff and Kansas Wildlife and Parks all responded. Douglas County Deputies were in Perry assisting there. LDCFM was called out and they put in the river at Riverfront Park and heading west on the Kansas River. A Jefferson Co. Sheriffs Deputy spoke with one of the kids on the phone and they said they could see the Westar Power Plant and the emergency lights on LDCFM boats. LDCFM picked the kids up and took them to shore.

Great job to everyone that responded!

riverdrifter 3 years, 5 months ago

A day floating the river is far better than a day surfing the 'net or sitting around the pool at the country club. Only thing I'd tell my kid is next time there will be a P_L_A_N! -And maybe there was, but not everybody was was involved in it. Just wondering if they even had shuttle vehicles waiting at the Lawrence ramp...?

prissytxmisty 3 years, 5 months ago

As one of the parents thank you to all those praying for a safe return. They are all home now. And extremeley sun burnt but over all in good shape. As one of the parents we were assuming the absolute worse when there was no sign of them. I know that at least 4 of the kids did not have thier cell phones because we located them on shore along with several other items (boots, shoes, wallets, etc.) We were told there was at least 3 adults with the kids. So thank you to all who helped with the search..KUDOs to you.I'm glad my daughter is home safe tonight.

Angela Heili 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm so very glad the children are home safe! Lord willing it'll be a long time before they give you another scare like that. A suggestion for them. If they plan to do another float trip have them take ziplock bags for their phones. That way in case of emergency they can use them and their phones will be dry and useable. Keep enough air in the bag and their phone will float should they drop them.

prissytxmisty 3 years, 5 months ago

Thank you very much.I believe I will be investing in one of the water tight containers for her. It was extremely heart breaking at the time. And i'm sure they will all be miserable today from too much sun exposure. My daughter was already feeling the effects lastnight.

Kontum1972 3 years, 5 months ago

i heard they were eaten by water-wolves infected with pin-worms from up north....End of Days

riverdrifter 3 years, 5 months ago

Er, just a reminder that all the folks involved need to get a real good long & "soapy" shower after being in the Kaw river. Just sayin'.

kernal 3 years, 5 months ago

And maybe check with their doctors about a gamma globulin shot if they swallowed river water.

RoeDapple 3 years, 5 months ago

Jeez, when I was a kid I would hop on my bike in the morning, tell mom see ya later and sometimes not get home til 9 or 10 at night. Guess you can't do that anymore . . .

(I wasn't lost)

Denny2009 3 years, 5 months ago

Yep. Its a shame kids cannot do that anymore, but its a different world out there now. I too remember as a kid all my summers were spent outside all day long, but those were different times.

Kontum1972 3 years, 5 months ago

u think the tow truck issue is bad just wait until their parents get the bill for the helicopter search....dat not cheep....

Kontum1972 3 years, 5 months ago

Kids......stay out of the river and go to the city pool and pee in it...your much safer

d_prowess 3 years, 5 months ago

I am confused on what exactly happened here. Was the group in any danger at all? Did they just lose track of time or go slower than expected and so parents got worried and called authorities? I feel like I am missing something here.

perrys22 3 years, 5 months ago

slower than expected is EXACTLY what happened. no danger, just worried parents

d_prowess 3 years, 5 months ago

If that's the case, they need to update the headline and story. No one was then "rescued" from the river.

perrys22 3 years, 5 months ago

9 were over 18, 6 were not but ALL 18 or under wore life vests and some of the parents. it was blown way out of proportion.