Archive for Thursday, July 14, 2011

KU sophomore dies after collapsing at concert

July 14, 2011

A woman who had been set to enter her sophomore year at Kansas University died early Thursday morning at a nightclub in Kansas City, Mo.

Hallie Steele, of Lenexa, died after collapsing during a concert at The Beaumont Club in Westport. According to her Facebook page, she was 19.

Police were dispatched to the club at 1:18 a.m. on a medical call, said Sgt. Stacey Graves, a spokeswoman for the Kansas City Police Department. Steele was taken by ambulance to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

An investigation continues, Graves said, and a cause of death will not be determined until after an autopsy is complete.

“It’s not being investigated as a homicide,” Graves said.

Steele was a cast member on Channel 6’s “The Not So Late Show.”

Comments

Steve Jacob 4 years ago

I was at the Beaumont for Queens of the Stone Age in April and it was hot as heck in the place back in early spring. On top of that, Skrillex is a DJ so add dancing to that heat. Be careful if going to see DJ Shadow on Tuesday.

David Juiliano 4 years ago

I don't know her circumstances but I was there last night and it's just plain irresponsible that the owner of Beaumont didn't have cool air circulating. Everyone walked out of the place drenched in their sweat. I felt dehydrated myself and I had at least four bottles of water after originally having a couple drinks. My hands were pruned up like I'd been sitting in the tub from the constant dripping of sweat down my arms. I'm honestly surprised more people didn't collapse from heat exhaustion.

clovis_sangrail 4 years ago

If it was that uncomfortable, why did you stay?

David Juiliano 4 years ago

I'd been waiting months to see Skrillex so no I'm not just going to leave.

And no drugs do not necessarily have to be involved here. It was that hot inside there. My pants are sitting in the tub right now still drenched from the sweat as well as my wallet. A friend that went with me didn't have any drinks and was drinking water and she felt dehydrated. And no neither of us did any drugs. Yes we were jumping up and down dancing to the music so I guess you can say the dancers are at fault but it's the responsibility of the establishment to make sure their patrons are comfortable.

In talking to other people this particular place has a history of improper cooling and being hot.

David Juiliano 4 years ago

Only the first sentence was a response to you. The rest were for the other poster implying that drugs were the main cause.

parrothead8 4 years ago

The person you're needlessly arguing with is home, safe and sound. The subject of this story is not. Let's not lose sight of that. Condolences to her family in these tragic circumstances.

Crazy_Larry 4 years ago

Ah, the club invited people to come see the show. People paid money to get into the club to see the show. It is the club's responsibility to provide a safe environment to watch the show. Are you so sick in the head as to not understand this concept? W.T.F. Geeeeeezus christo on a popsicle stick! Holy Merry Mother of GAWD! W.T.F.

Crazy_Larry 4 years ago

Of course the individual is ultimately responsible for their own well being. People pay good money to attend a show and expect the venue to provide this in a safe environment.

Designing environment control systems requires understanding the complex interactions between the biological system within the space and the environment provided to that system. The biotic system will have specific environmental needs and its well being will be strongly influenced by the environment. Concomitantly, the biotic system will strongly influence conditions within the airspace. The goal of environmental control should be to create a balance favorable to both the biological and physical systems. To be able to create such a balance successfully requires understanding physics, thermodynamics, mathematics through calculus, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, mass transfer, psychrometrics, refrigeration, weather phenomena, control theory, and environmental biology.

The Beaumont Club should either limit the head count at their shows, or hire an engineer competent in design of environmental control systems. How many have to die before someone figures this out? They have evidently sacrificed the safety aspect in their pursuit of money--pack the house! They oversold the show despite the fact of having an inadequate conditioning system. The owners of the club should be held accountable for their neglect and greed.

Maybe insane, but never inane. My tirades have purpose.

MarcoPogo 4 years ago

The Beaumont is just like any other nightclub in this situation. The managers can leave the AC on all day but if it fills up with people for a concert - especially with the temperatures we have been seeing - the heat from the number of bodies will almost always overtake whatever cool air the system will put out.

David Juiliano 4 years ago

I've been to many concerts/parties/clubs and nothing compared to Wednesday night. So yes while most places are hotter than you'd normally keep it at home to be comfortable this was an extreme.

dubber 4 years ago

Steve Jacob 4 years ago

That show was 18 & over. DJ Shadow on Tuesday is all ages.

sulliedotcom 4 years ago

Yeah KC is the only place in the US with a legal drinking age of 18.

jackpot 4 years ago

On the radio this morning heard that her Father had stated she fell and hit her head.