Archive for Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Work on Sixth Street to cause major traffic problems; city warns motorists to avoid downtown Kansas River bridges

Work on a section of Sixth Street near downtown is expected to delay traffic for several days.

July 12, 2011

Really, stay off of Sixth Street — or at least the portion near downtown Lawrence.

City Hall leaders on Tuesday were making another plea to motorists to avoid the area of Sixth Street between Missouri and Massachusetts streets for several days.

Crews began repaving the portion of Sixth Street near the entrance to downtown Tuesday, but city leaders were warning that the work will be even more disruptive Wednesday.

The city is asking motorists to not use the downtown Kansas River bridges Wednesday. Instead, they’re suggesting motorists coming from the north use the Kansas Turnpike bridge, which will allow people to enter the city through the West Lawrence interchange.

“I hate to send people onto the turnpike to avoid our construction area,” said Mark Thiel, the city’s assistant public works director. “But it will ease in the frustration.”

The downtown bridges will remain open, but all southbound traffic exiting the bridges will be funneled to the west. In other words, traffic won’t be able to access the downtown area from the bridges. Left turns onto Tennessee Street also will be prohibited. Massachusetts Street also will be closed at Seventh Street in order to prohibit people who are leaving downtown to access the area near the bridges.

The bridge disruptions are expected to last into the early evening. Thiel said emergency vehicles will have access to the bridges at all times to respond to incidents in North Lawrence.

“We’ll let them drive over anything we have on the ground to respond to an emergency,” Thiel said.

The overall paving project for Sixth Street is expected to last until Aug. 12. After crews finish paving Sixth Street from Massachusetts to Kentucky, work will shift to repaving Sixth Street from Kentucky to Missouri. The project ultimately will repave Sixth Street all the way to Iowa Street.

“Once the project gets past Tennessee Street, it will be a lot less restrictive,” Thiel said. “There is just such a convergence in the area we're working in currently.”

Comments

nlf78 3 years, 5 months ago

I am so tired of all the construction. I really hope they have opened the lanes in front of City Hall, so that the residents of North Lawrence can get home, without having to go completely out of the way and then add the Turnpike toll on top of that.

1029 3 years, 5 months ago

Only losers drive on 6th Street anyway. If you're cool, you'll drive on 9th Street instead.

Ewok79 3 years, 5 months ago

You mean the whole layout of town?? NO by-pass, so all the streets are congested. I think they borrowed street maps from downtown KC,Mo and was trying to copy them.LOL

Shockem211 3 years, 5 months ago

So how exactly should I get from East Lawrence to North Lawrence and back to East Lawrence twice tomorrow? I guess I either have to go out to Eudora and back in, or else pay to use the Turnpike, which will take me miles out of my way. Or perhaps I should take a day off of work and send the city a bill? As if I haven't spent enough time in traffic jams just with the tiny portion of 6th in front of city hall being closed the past week. I understand that only working at night makes the project take even longer, but maybe they could break during rush hour as to not cause traffic jams/accidents.

someguy 3 years, 5 months ago

1) Complain about the city not fixing streets. 2) City fixes streets. 3) Complain about the city fixing streets.

Erin Graham 3 years, 5 months ago

I certainly agree. And that's typically the song I preach when I hear people griping about it. However, we'll just say some places plan things better than others. Areas of St Louis recently were way worse than this. Other places are much more fluid. It's frustrating, it's not terribly surprising for here, but at least the roads are getting fixed. And God bless those guys out there enduring the nasty heat so we can all have a better place to drive!

rockchalker52 3 years, 5 months ago

Driving in Saint Louis sometimes sux like electrolux. The last time it took 4 hrs to get through there. Buncha wigged out civil engineers. Almost made me yearn for eastbound 23rd street on a friday afternoon.

the 59 highway boys are doing work in my neighborhood, adds 5 miles minimum to any round trip. It'll be that way for another month and a half. That's not too bad. I can hang.

Shockem, I'd go turnpike if I were in your shoes.

riverdrifter 3 years, 5 months ago

That's what I thought. At least it will be mostly -if not all done by the time KU is back in session.

jlzack 3 years, 5 months ago

I agree someguy!!! Some people aren't happy unless they complain. As if the .25 cent toll on the turnpike is going to break someone's bank account. I'm glad they are finally working on fixing some of these streets in town. The repair on our vehicles/tires is more costly than a toll for a day or two...

Ewok79 3 years, 5 months ago

+2, isn't that the amreican way?? We like to complain, & are never happy

ljwhirled 3 years, 5 months ago

Better now than after the students return. Keep at it Chuck, good looking streets.

Tammie Bryant 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm pretty sure it's .25 cents, but it may very well be worth the cost to avoid the traffic jam....:(

Ricci Moyer 3 years, 5 months ago

How about the mail needing to go to Kansas City. My fiance takes the mail to KC every day and it is the only way to get to that post office. Try driving a semi in that. No thank you.

uncleandyt 3 years, 5 months ago

Everyone should use the privatized roads. Big Government is out of control with all of those far-left bridges and highways. The Socialists are coming to take our transportation system. Alert the Governor !

alakazam 3 years, 5 months ago

too hot to think outside a car, and these people could have planed this better. Really i moved back to lawrence for a shorter commute but now have to take a major highway I've only used to get to missouri on to get my kid to day care then go back to the turn pike to to work and repeat the process all over again. And to whom ever said they were working st night....really they started at 3 am yesterday morning that's morning not night and just because its dark out don't mean its night they are just creating a huge mess. Get the bridges back open and the street in front of city hall and we should be ok for a while but honestly an d- for the city and how they planned this mess out honestly they were on something when they figured they would shut parts of 6th down. I

jesse499 3 years, 5 months ago

I don't mind driveing out of my way to let them do their work it's the fact that don't use anything that will last more then 2 years.

Luke Sapp 3 years, 5 months ago

this is an other example of the city not caring about poor people. North 7th was closed for 3 years! there is little or no drainage system in north lawrence yet the city worries about drainage in parts of west lawrence that havent been built. if the people who use the roads in north lawrence to get to i-70 found an other way i could get my kids out of the heat and over the bridge in under 30 minutes.not to mention displacing a trailer park full of people to build an other failed river front mall.any one else notice this??

coleja 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm ready for all this road work to be done. They fail to realize that people live across the bridge and we have to go to and from work and other places. Then to top it off they said that this will last for several days. Now don't get me wrong I'm all for the city improving the roads but can't we make this process happen a little faster?