Archive for Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Lawrence man in fair condition after one-vehicle accident near bike ride route

July 12, 2011

A 31-year-old Lawrence man was listed in fair condition Monday at Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., after he was injured in a one-vehicle accident Sunday morning south of Lawrence.

Sgt. Steve Lewis, a Douglas County Sheriff’s spokesman, said Sean Rudisell slammed on the brakes to his Chevrolet Aveo while headed north on County Road 1055 to try to stop at a stop sign at the intersection with County Road 458. The car skidded off the road and hit the ditch northeast of the intersection about 3 miles south of Lawrence. The accident occurred at 6:45 a.m.

Rudisell did not strike any bicyclists or sheriff’s officers who were in the area for the Lizard Under the Skillet bike ride, Lewis said.

Rudisell initially declined medical attention, but a doctor at Lawrence Memorial Hospital examined him when he was taken there for a blood test to determine his blood-alcohol content. He was later transferred to KU Hospital.

Lewis said investigators believe alcohol, reckless driving and disregarding a traffic sign were contributing factors to the accident, and an accident report Monday indicated citations for DUI, transporting an open container, failing to yield at a stop sign, and failing to drive on the right side of the highway because the skid marks started left of the center line.

Comments

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 5 months ago

I've been a passenger in an Aveo during a panic stop, and it was really, really bad. The car would hardly slow down at all.

The driver (who had not been paying attention) was squealing the tires on the pavement trying to stop, but it just didn't do much good at all, the car slowed down at an incredibly slow rate. When he finally got the thing stopped, we were only 6 feet from the back of a truck.

It's my opinion that the brakes on the Aveo are so bad that unless they make ABS standard, it should be pulled from the market. Even then, I doubt very much that it could stop anywhere near as quickly as a real car could.

chigger 3 years, 5 months ago

I was on the bicycle ride. The driver was traveling north on E1600 road. His car left amazing long skid marks and took out a road sign after crossing the east/west N1000 road. The bicycle riders were traveling south alng E1600 rd and then turning east at the intersection. .I'm thankful that no riders were injured and I hope the driver never does that again!

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 5 months ago

It was quite obvious that the Aveo that I was a passenger in some time ago left amazingly long skid marks also, considering the incredibly long period of time it took for him to get his car stopped from 65 mph.

That (former) driver had a few other incidents after that, and I'm not sure what all of them were. But this is some of them: a third DUI, a few Driving While Suspended, illegal U turn, a collision with a couple traffic cones, and another with a parked car.

For his last Driving While Suspended, he drove off the left hand side of the highway into the ditch, and collided with a tree.

End of problem, then he no longer had a car.

Well, that wasn't really the end of the problem. He had managed to get continuances for his traffic violations for so long that he was able to keep on driving without a licence and therefore putting the public at risk for many months.

The wheels of justice turn slowly in Wyandotte county. Next stop for him: Douglas county court.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 5 months ago

(I did not make any of that up, all of it really happened.)

Linda and Bill Houghton 3 years, 5 months ago

I, also, was riding and got to the area shortly after it happened. On seeing the report I am certainly glad he was in the ditch rather than knocking down bicyclists like bowling pins.

riverdrifter 3 years, 5 months ago

He left some other long skid marks south of there near the gun club on 1055 (OK, somebody left some long skid marks that look identical to the ones at the 458 intersection).

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 3 years, 5 months ago

The header makes it sound as if a bicyclist was injured by the vehicle. I was confused for a second....but that's to be expected.

Benthic 3 years, 5 months ago

Drive out that way and take a look at the approx. 30 yard long skid marks way before the stop sign. It is a flat stretch of road and it was light outside at the time so a fully functional person would have seen the stop sign in advance. I was on the bike ride and passed by the scene as the driver was getting out of his car, blood gushing out of his nose. Pure luck that none of the cyclists were hit as we were turning directly across the road where he lost control.

Benthic 3 years, 5 months ago

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 5 months ago

This would be a violation of another person's privacy. Unless you can prove that Sean is the Sean in question, you can't implicate him in this incident.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 5 months ago

It looks like it's OK to publicly name one of the cars on 'Consumer Reports' list of the 11 worst cars sold in the USA.

Benthic 3 years, 5 months ago

Moderator, could you please advise how my deleted comment was a volation? Your article named the driver, all I did was match that name to a publicly listed Facebook account.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 5 months ago

I think I can answer that question. Any comment that could possibly result in legal difficulties for LJWorld.com will be deleted.

LJWorld.com's right to remain free of legal problems trumps any of our rights to post, regardless of how anyone feels about it.

'Free speech rights' do not apply here, because this is a privately owned website.

Benthic 3 years, 5 months ago

Benthic 3 years, 5 months ago

I didn't say he has daughters, does he have daughers? You probably shouldn't mention that as it is wildly inappropriate.

50YearResident 3 years, 5 months ago

Here is another driver that will get an ignation interlock system installed. Maybe I should start retailing these things.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 5 months ago

Or maybe you could buy a fleet of cars with the system already installed, and then lease them to the drivers who need them.

I wonder, has anyone seen an advertisement for a car for sale that had this as part of the description:

"Ignition interlock system already installed"

somedude20 3 years, 5 months ago

I wanted to be a cop when I was younger after watching Bad Lieutenant (the 1st one) when old Harvey Keitel administer a breathalyzer to that girly

puddleglum 3 years, 5 months ago

once again, someone can't keep their roads straight.

1055 rd is on the opposite side of hwy59....

Does george mean 1057 rd? that is the only connection with 458 that I know of.

puddleglum 3 years, 5 months ago

maybe he means E1600 rd.????

yes I know douglas county road 1055 is the road north out of baldwin, but it ends at vinland

irussell 3 years, 5 months ago

Actually 1055 joins 460 at the Vinland airport, joins 458 on 1000 Rd, and then to Haskell Road which is considered 1055 to the Lawrence City Limits.

riverdrifter 3 years, 5 months ago

No, 1055 does not end at Vinland.
I went by there again today and whoa, Nellie that guy was really lucky. Literally 6 inches further to the east and his right front goes down into a nasty little culvert box and he's in a NASCAR-type end-over-end over on to 458. Lucky to be alive.

Benthic 3 years, 5 months ago