Archive for Tuesday, July 12, 2011

35-year-old man accused of hitting estranged wife with his vehicle in Lawrence parking lot

July 12, 2011, 3:11 p.m. Updated July 12, 2011, 5:15 p.m.

Lawrence police Monday arrested a 35-year-old Lawrence man accused of striking a woman with a vehicle in the Holcom Park parking lot.

Douglas County prosecutors filed an aggravated battery charge against Michael C. Pringle.

Sgt. Matt Sarna, a police spokesman, said a 35-year-old Lawrence woman alleged Pringle, her estranged husband, knocked her to the ground with his car 6:30 p.m. Monday in a lot in the 2600 block of Lawrence Avenue. The woman said before the incident they were arguing about one of their children.

Sarna said the woman had minor arm and leg injuries but was not taken to the hospital. Police later found Pringle, interviewed him and arrested him on suspicion of aggravated battery.

A judge Tuesday afternoon set Pringle's bond at $5,000 cash or surety, and ordered him to have no contact with the woman or to return to her residence.

Comments

FarneyMac 3 years, 10 months ago

Soap 3 years, 10 months ago

that means a lot coming from the guy who said "poor people are awful"

LadyJ 3 years, 10 months ago

In all fairness, I think we would need a lot more credible information, such as a witness, before calling judgement. Was he attempting to leave and she tried to force him to stop or was she standing still and he moved the car towards her. I think without a witness they might have a tough time convicting him, which is sad if his intentions were actually to harm her. Unless maybe there is record of possible former physical abuse, that would help.

Jean Robart 3 years, 10 months ago

unless maybe her was a mean sob and had a history of abusing her...

Jstanobservation 3 years, 10 months ago

Don't expect any open thinking from this bunch of morons.

Evan Ridenour 3 years, 10 months ago

I am honestly confused about the LJWorld's policy on identifying suspects. They commonly claim they won't identify people who are arrested but in some articles they do? And in all cases a real newspaper (not a blog like the LJWorld), for example, the Topeka rag, identifies the suspects. Which begs the question. Why is this blog even in existence?

kernal 3 years, 10 months ago

That policy is for certain sex related crimes.

BruceWayne 3 years, 10 months ago

sex related or if you are the most powerful man in Lawrence and your Zebra eats a guys arm.

Marcy McGuffie 3 years, 10 months ago

They won't identify ANYONE who has not yet been charged (even if they have been arrested). And as kernal said, they won't identify those who have been arrested or charged for sex crimes, unless there is a conviction.

John Hamm 3 years, 10 months ago

Good thoughts but the prosecutor's idea in Lawrence is to harass with a minor charge which is easier to accept (plead guilty to) so his numbers look better.

Tony Holladay 3 years, 10 months ago

JHawks12345 3 years, 10 months ago

No witnesses? It happened at a ballpark. There were eyewitnesses.

kashmoney12 3 years, 10 months ago

He was trying to leave and she threw herself in the way. In my judgement, she is a very disturbed individual and has done nothing but cause trouble for him. Last week, she jumped on top of his car denting the hood when he was simply leaving the situation. This woman is to blame and don't feel sorry for her. I am not biased in my opinions and I don't appreciate that this makes the husband appear to be at fault.

JHawks12345 3 years, 10 months ago

OMG this man used to be my neighbor! He caused a huge standoff in my neighborhood after locking his wife out of the home. A gun was involved. He had my street closed off all night! HE must be disturbed if a swat team has to come, especially in Lawrence, KS! You can look it up under his name on this website. Looks like he is trying to rack up a record for himself! To kashmoney12~c'mon! We all know the abuser always plays the victim! There were witnesses this time.

kashmoney12 3 years, 10 months ago

Actually... JHawks. This man is my brother. You have no idea about the situation. His wife is the crazy one. Unless you know all the circumstances... you can not arrive at a informed decision.

She was arrested several months ago for battery against him. In this latest incident, he was simply trying to leave the situation and she threw herself in front of his vehicle. The "witnesses" are people she has in her pocket. As for the Police department, they are simply doing their job per protocol. Many times, situations are blown out of proportion and if you don't know what's really going on.... it's easily to misconstrue.

DillonBarnes 3 years, 10 months ago

" I am not biased in my opinions"

" This man is my brother"

hehe

In all seriousness kashmoney12, being a frequent reader of the comment section of this site, I suggest you stay out of this. Many other family members have come on here trying to right their friend or family member's name, but it rarely ends good. The comments are full of speculation based on what little information is given in the article, these people don't get to make any judgement on the fate of this man, it's best to ignore them.

I can only imagine it's very tough to do, but I think it's in your best interest to just leave these comments alone, it will only aggravate you and in the end, benefit no one.

JHawks12345 3 years, 10 months ago

Police "protocol" is to bring in a swat team? Never seen one in my life before his incident & I'm in my 50's. Defend your brother all you want since your opinions are "not biased."

avetaysmom 3 years, 10 months ago

I don't know who did what, but feel sorry for any kids in the situation who have to live like that on a daily basis, be adults and save the drama not in front of the kids.

kashmoney12 3 years, 10 months ago

You got 1/2 of it right DillionBarnes. :-)

DillonBarnes 3 years, 10 months ago

And you got half of my name right too. :-)

Couldn't resist. lol Good luck.

friendlyjhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

It is really not anyone's (relative, bystander, anonymous commentator, etc.) right to comment on this. The real story is what is determined from the police report on this incident. If there is a fault, it is LJW's for providing a space for commentary and the encouraging any big mouth fool to feel they have the right to comment. Yep, me included.

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

My cuzin's mother-in-law's neighbor's sister said they's both good peeple and you folks don't got no bizness talkin' trash boutit 'cept maybe they do gots bats in there hats. caint talkboutit. thats all i'm gonna say.

akt2 3 years, 10 months ago

I doubt that she or anyone else"made" him do this. It's called self control, and it doesn't appear that he has any. His bad behavior is becoming a well documented trend. Excuses won't make any difference to a judge.

JHawks12345 3 years, 10 months ago

Yes, you are so right. As his neighbor I witnessed many alarming behaviors from this man. She was as sweet as ever, while he was calling the police on kids for walking on his grass seed! Not crazy? Could have fooled me! He displayed himself as a mean, controlling man. So now she MADE him hit her with his car, just like the alcohol was supposedly to blame for his irratic behavior with a gun in my neighborhood that scared us all to death! Alright then!

boxers_or_briefs 3 years, 10 months ago

I wonder if their kids won their game that night.

Machala04 3 years, 10 months ago

Personally, I think this man is crazy.....Thank God nothing serious happened to this poor woman. People like him need to be institutionalized.

rebelgirl 3 years, 10 months ago

I think everyone should lay off this man, unless you know him, stay out of it. I know them both and can tell you that it was likely a reaction to the woman. Leave him alone, people make mistakes and you weren't there. Imagine if it were your family, would you want stangers weighing in? I know the answer, absolutely not. Just being a neighbor with someone, you don't see the whole person. Anyone can act nice and play a victim. The person who reacts always looks like the bad guy.

oxandale 3 years, 6 months ago

I havent spoken to Mike nor Missy in years. I remember the both of them from highschool, Mike was very athletic, involved in sports, always seemed to know everyone and easy to get along with in any situation. Missy and I had a few classes together throughout highschool, and she was always very sweet and got along with everyone. I cant remember anyone every saying a harsh word about either one of them. Granted, we all graduated back in 1994. A few years later, they were working at LMH when my grandmother back in 1999. They were good to her. I find it said that their relationship (for whatever personal reasons it is) had fallen apart to this level. I hope that no matter what the outcome is for them, that it works out for the best for all parties where both Mike and Missy are happy, able to raise thier children in a positive, loving environment. Whether it is to be married to each other or not, that is up to them.