Archive for Monday, July 11, 2011

NWS extends excessive heat warning to 8 p.m. Tuesday

July 11, 2011, 7:52 a.m. Updated July 11, 2011, 9:15 p.m.

Kansas weather updates, via Twitter

9:15 p.m.

The temperature had dropped to 83 degrees at Lawrence Municipal Airport as of 8:52 p.m. according to the NWS, however the heat index is still at 85 with the humidity at 95 percent.

3:41 p.m.

The National Weather Service has extended its excessive heat warning for the area. The warning is now in effect until 8 p.m. Tuesday.

Indices of 110 to 115 are expected for Tuesday afternoon. Tuesday will be the fourth consecutive day of dangerously high temperatures.

1 p.m.

Though it's hot here in Lawrence, it could be worse.

The Associated Press is reporting that Hutchinson was the hottest spot in the nation yesterday; 112 degrees.

It was nearly that hot in Wichita as well, with a record high of 111. According to the AP, this is only the 10th time in recorded history that a temperature above 110 has been reported in Wichita.

So, while it's hot, remember it could always be worse. Also, it looks like another heat wave is keying up for next weekend.

7:52 a.m. update

One day after topping 100 degrees for the first time in 2011, the National Weather Service expects more of the same and has issued a second excessive heat warning.

The warning is in effect until 8 p.m. Monday night. The heat advisory that had been in effect has been expired.

According to the weather services, heat indices are expected to be between 110 and 115. Prolonged exposure can lead to heat related illnesses.

Those in the area of the warning, which covers virtually all of northeast Kansas, are urged to stay hydrated and avoid outdoor activities. Remember to check on family and neighbors who may not be as able to take care of themselves and monitor pets as well.

Check back to LJWorld.com for updates.

Comments

jjt 3 years, 5 months ago

I am confused should one turn the air con up or down. Is it up for for more cold air or down to 76?

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, I suspect we'll all be lucky if we haven't melted by week's end.

xclusive85 3 years, 5 months ago

Man, I was hoping for some luck. Air conditioner broke yesterday, really hope the landlord gets someone out to fix it today. At least I had power last night and could plug in some fans!

kernal 3 years, 5 months ago

Too bad we don' t have a city ordinance like they had in Phoenix. Out there, if the a/c is was out for twenty-four hours due to an air conditioner malfunction, the landlord had to put the tenant up in a hotel until it was fixed. Of course that only applied during the high heat days.

Good luck to you. I'm betting the a/c repair people are working fourteen hour days this week!

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 5 months ago

It's starting a smidge early this year. Usually we don't get into triple digits until the last two weeks of July. Then, somewhere about the first week of August it breaks. The days still stay hot but it starts cooling down at night and you can smell and feel what an old friend used to call "the mature summer". Not sure what the hottest summer on record was but I remember the summer of 1980, after Mount St. Helen's erupted ( which happened in early May), we had temps in the 100 and teens. It wasn't going below the mid 90's at night. The Red Cross partnered up with some churches that had AC and opened them up to elderly and disabled people. The churches provided the buildings and AC and the RC provided cots, pillows and blankets.They left them open for a couple of weeks until the weather broke and then closed them down. There was a lot of scientific speculation/explanation that it was because of the eruption and the broad ash distribution over North America in the upper atmosphere.

xclusive85 3 years, 5 months ago

Funny you bring up 1980. I was just talking to my dad on the phone. He told me that the temp in El Dorado yesterday was 111, beating the mark in 1908 of 110. He also reminded me that he was tearing down a house and building a cabin out at Fall River that summer.

Also, good reminder that if you know of elderly or disabled people that may not be in the best of situations, please check on them. Invite them over for a glass of iced tea or something and have a good talk about the old days!

Kontum1972 3 years, 5 months ago

oh nooooooooooooo..Mister Bill...............!

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 5 months ago

In 1980 I lived in a house without air conditioning. I put my kids to bed with nothing but sheets and underwear. They had two fans in their room. I had a very thin, snap up, cotton house coat, like old ladies wear. I would dampen it with cold water, wring it out, put it on and lay down under a fan. it was the only way I could sleep.

riverdrifter 3 years, 5 months ago

97 at 120pm. This puts us about an hour ahead of yesterday. There's some clouds just to the north that would seem to keep us a tad cooler but the forecast discussion sez not.

uncleandyt 3 years, 5 months ago

This global warming hoax is elaborate. I can't figure out how those in-it-for-the-money hippy scientists have managed to pull off all the fake floods and agenda-driven droughts. Maybe I should think about something else. Whew, it's hot out out there ! It hasn't been like this since yesterday. I propose that we all increase our energy use and pollution output to show those egg-headed scientists that we cannot be fooled. ps. Mega dittos, Patriots