Archive for Monday, July 11, 2011

Douglas County sheriff’s duputies make two arrests after DUI check at Tee Pee Junction

July 11, 2011

Douglas County Sheriff's officers made two DUI arrests as part of a check lane east of Tee Pee Junction Saturday night.

Sgt. Steve Lewis, a sheriff's spokesman, said deputies made contact with 123 people in vehicles and asked 20 drivers to perform field sobriety tests as part of the check lane in the 1400 block of U.S. Highway 24-40. Officers conducted the check lane between 11:30 p.m. Saturday and 1:30 a.m. Sunday.

As part of an earlier saturation patrol Saturday evening in the county, deputies wrote eight tickets for speeding, 10 for seat belt violations, one for driving while suspended and 13 other miscellaneous traffic violations, Lewis said.

The enforcement operation is a partnership between the sheriff’s office and the Kansas Traffic Safety Resource Office, a division of the Kansas Department of Transportation, and the operations are aimed at reducing the number of deaths, injuries and the economic costs associated with vehicle accidents.

Comments

Casey_Jones 3 years, 5 months ago

Only two drunk drivers doesn't surprise me for a checkpoint at Teepee Junction, but TWENTY FIELD SOBRIETY TESTS?? Seriously, is that a typo? If someone's too drunk to drive it should be pretty apparent, especially to an officer trained to notice bloodshot eyes, alcohol breath, apparent nervousness, etc., etc.

I'm all for keeping dangerous drivers off the streets, but pulling 18 people out of their cars to perform silly tests on the side of the road... seems an awful lot like harassment to me.

kccheckpoint 3 years, 5 months ago

I agree entirely, field sobriety checks should ONLY be performed where there is reasonable suspicion. Additionally, the location of this DUI checkpoint is horrible. Follow @kccheckpoint on twitter to be alerted to checkpoints across the metro, including Lawrence.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 5 months ago

I drove though one of those check points once where it was clear they pulling out every third driver. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, or whether it's a policy or just a coincidence, I'm just saying that's what happened that night at that check point.

ylime3499 3 years, 5 months ago

Hey cheeseburger- "those of us"... I don't drink and drive, and I DO care... please do not include me with you.

Thank you!

Crazy_Larry 3 years, 5 months ago

jhawkinsf 3 years, 5 months ago

I don't want to live in a "Nazi" state, nor do I want to drive amongst a bunch of drunk drivers. Balance, compromise, common sense.

Crazy_Larry 3 years, 5 months ago

No, yummy yummy cheezebuger, I simply do not agree with infringement on people's 4th amendment rights. Checks and balances? Please.

kccheckpoint 3 years, 5 months ago

We at KCCheckpoint do not believe checkpoints work. We believe that as a whole, they are a violation of American civil liberties and they are an dragnet designed to bolster police budgets, redlining areas with large minority populations while avoiding areas without, and foster laziness in police work; all under the guise of “legal” impaired driver enforcement.

However, IF checkpoints are to be even slightly effective… THEY MUST BE ADVERTISED. DUI checkpoints are NOT about enforcement. If you consider the miles and miles of roadway in Kansas City and the effect of a single checkpoint on traffic as a whole, you can quickly understand that checkpoints are NOT a good way to enforce DUI violations. Checkpoints were designed to scare drivers off of the road with the “fear” of being caught. Not to mention it’s required by the state and federal guidelines for checkpoints.

Example: Are drugs bad? Yes (hypothetically) Do I think that the drug problem in Kansas City could be greatly reduced if the police searched every home and arrested anyone with any drug? Yes Should we do that? NO

jhawkinsf 3 years, 5 months ago

Two quick points - To the best of my knowledge, TeePee Junction is not an area over or under represented by minorities. Searches of homes and searches of drivers in their cars are so far apart that merely mentioning them in the same sentence is a blatant attempt to confuse the issue. That's like putting a child on time out and comparing that "punishment" with the "punishment" of capital punishment. Red herring, baby.

kccheckpoint 3 years, 5 months ago

To your, Point #1. Our response was in response to the question "why are you so afraid of checkpoints"? Not specifically to TeePee Junction, which we have already said is a complete waste of time for everyone since it's not an area know to have a high volume of DUIs.

Point#2. The 4th amendment relates to all property and specifically deals with police power. No intent is meant to confuse; we are suggesting that a gestapo-like DRAGNET on our people in ANY fashion is a specific protection our Bill of Rights sought to provide.

Now, if you wanted to make a valid argument you would say that the Supreme court has already upheld that Checkpoints are legal. And thus, since they are supreme, they must know best. That would actually be a good argument. But, I will tell you that I am confident that the supreme court did not intend on weekly checkpoints for everything from DUIs to Seat Belts in every city across the US. This isn't the last we have heard of this issue.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 5 months ago

You made the comparison of searching homes. As you should know, we have a "right" to be safe and secure in our homes, safe from unreasonable searches and seizure. That is a right guaranteed by the Constitution. There is no right to be safe and secure in you car. Driving is a privilege conferred upon people by the state. The is no expectation of privacy. Whether or not this is an effective use of police resources may or may not be true. But your argument comparing searches of homes to DUI checkpoints is just off base.

kccheckpoint 3 years, 5 months ago

Ouch, who would want to be associated with an organization that protects minorities and civil liberties of all Americans? How horrible... God forbid we assert our constitutional rights, we might just get ourselves associated with an organization like the ACLU.

KCCheckoint has no affiliation with the ACLU, nor would we be afraid to say we did.

Liberty275 3 years, 5 months ago

Maybe he feels it's an encroachment on his freedom and a violation of the constitution. I consider the police stopping people for no reason other than driving on a random stretch of road an illegal search.

The more you people hand your freedom away like it's worthless, the faster it becomes worthless. That suits most of you because in the end you are worthless example's of Americans and humans anyway.

Crazy_Larry 3 years, 5 months ago

Cheeseburger is in bed with the New World Order Paramilitary Police State....We're here to 'help' you. Yeah, right! How did we EVER get along without check points before? Die, die, die bootlickers!

Crazy_Larry 3 years, 5 months ago

Bootlickers unite! Welcome to Nazi-Amurikkka!

Crazy_Larry 3 years, 5 months ago

Here's the basic concept of a check point: Guilty until proven innocent.

Welcome to the New Amurikkkka! Pull ova! Bootlickers unite!

horseshoehalo1 3 years, 5 months ago

are you law enforcement??? Just leave the decision to put them through "silly tests" to the cops.

Crazy_Larry 3 years, 5 months ago

Wrong. Ever heard of the 4th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution? Since you're avatar shows you as a cop, then I'll assume you have no idea as to what it is I'm writing about.

BOOTLICKERS UNITE!

Crazy_Larry 3 years, 5 months ago

Ewww, burn. I don't smoke crack or sip kool-aid, I eat cheeseburgers. Pretty boy.

Liberty275 3 years, 5 months ago

Sobriety isn't affected by only booze. Do you also want to pop everyone that took two Vicodin or Xanax as prescribed by their doctor so they can make it to work tomorrow morning?

Liberty275 3 years, 5 months ago

True, But I think prosecutors should be forced to prove YOU were a danger by your actions and not merely based on statistics and kneejerk reactions to tragedies.

Kudos for being consistent though. That's a trait in short supply 'round here.

Crazy_Larry 3 years, 5 months ago

Consistently being ignorant is not a good trait, however.

mom_of_three 3 years, 5 months ago

one of my kids reported seeing 5 cars pulled pulled over throughout Lawrence Saturday night during a twenty minute drive across town.

Eride 3 years, 5 months ago

I drove through that check point and they didn't even stop me... they just waved me on! There were 3 cars pulled over being given sobriety tests but I always thought for these checks to be legal they had to stop everyone? They weren't doing that on Saturday night...

jhawkinsf 3 years, 5 months ago

Read my comment above. My experience was that they checked every third car. I would think it would be legal if they checked without regard to race, color, etc. No profiling. If it were based on a numerical randomness like every third car, I think that would comply with the law.

kccheckpoint 3 years, 5 months ago

The supreme court has determined that the checkpoints must be whole or random and that the "randomness" of the checkpoint must be determined prior to starting. (Usually something like, "every fourth car".)

50YearResident 3 years, 5 months ago

Two people will have to put ingition interlocks on their cars now. I wonder how much that costs per vehicle to buy and install.

Steve Jacob 3 years, 5 months ago

Friend I think told me about $200 to install and $50 or so a month.

ljwhirled 3 years, 5 months ago

Uh....maybe several innocent bystanders are alive because the cops took these folks off the road.

My uncle (a physician) was killed by a drunk driver. He had 6 kids at the time.

It cost over $3,000,000 to raise all six of them and send them to college, see them married. This is in addition to the 30+ working years that were taken from our society and the costs of training a physician (college, med school, residency).

Simply took, driving drunk violates OTHER PEOPLES right to life. Drunk drivers kill people. I'm glad they took them off the road, and I think the punishments for violations are still far too lax.

akt2 3 years, 5 months ago

I hope the drunk drivers are the ones that are financially responsible. They can tack that on to fines, attorney fees, and insurance rate hikes. Maybe they will think twice next time they get the urge to drink and drive.

eotw33 3 years, 5 months ago

I went through it and got a field sobriety test , and the two cars in front of me were waived through. I also told them I had a beer though....

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 5 months ago

Duputies? Check your headline, Jonathan.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 5 months ago

I didn't notice or read the article when it first appeared. But when I noticed it, I had to laugh at the irony of the spelling error.

Alceste 3 years, 5 months ago

Lot of drunks coming out of that Nudie Bar (Paradise Saloon) over by that TeePee Junction.....yeeeee hawwwww!!!