Archive for Sunday, July 10, 2011

Power restored to most Westar Energy customers in Douglas County

July 10, 2011, 9:04 p.m. Updated July 10, 2011, 10:29 p.m.

11:20 p.m.

Power has been restored to all but six Westar customers, according to the company's website.

10:29 p.m.

An arcing power line at Wakarusa and Inverness drives has left about 170 Westar Energy customers in Douglas County without power, according to a Westar Energy spokesperson.

About 940 customers in the county lost power at around 8:45 p.m., but many of those were turned back on by 9:30 p.m.

A map on the website shows that the majority of the outages are in central and west Lawrence.

A Westar spokesperson said that crews are currently working on the problem and, while they could not estimate how long those repairs would take, expected it to be fixed by the end of the night.

Check back with LJWorld.com for updates.

Comments

SnakeFist 3 years, 7 months ago

The power is out somewhere in Lawrence. I'm shocked.

costello 3 years, 7 months ago

I feel for anyone whose electricity is off in this heat.

Angela Heili 3 years, 7 months ago

I live in the Wakarusa and Harvard area. About 45 minutes ago, approx., we heard what sounded like arcs of electricity. Three times we heard it. I don't know if some critter was electrocuted in the lines or what, but it you could hear the "zaps" of electricity.

aha 3 years, 7 months ago

... so take off all your clothes.

redmoonrising 3 years, 7 months ago

Sounds a little mean spirited. Everyone is affected by the heat, no matter where they live, and it is dangerous right now. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Being richer than me doesn't make them less human. And about everyone's richer than me LOL! There could still be a baby or a disabled or critically ill person there who would be aversely affected by the heat.

overthemoon 3 years, 7 months ago

I kind of like what you're sayin'. REAL free market.

overthemoon 3 years, 7 months ago

Solar panels are becoming more and more affordable....what if every roof in lawrence could help reduce our demand by a modest 20%, just think of the savings and reduced carbon in the air.