Archive for Thursday, July 7, 2011

Douglas County commissioners approve extension of noise ordinance to be enforced all hours of the day

July 7, 2011

Douglas County’s quiet hours just got a little longer.

County commissioners Wednesday unanimously approved amendments to the county’s noise ordinance that allow for enforcement by at all hours of the day. The ordinance previously called for enforcement during nighttime hours.

Douglas County commissioners said they believed excessive noise could be a hazard to people’s health, safety, welfare and overall quality of life and should not only be restricted during one part of the day.

The amendments to the resolution include 24-hour enforcement as well as exceptions for lawful discharging of firearms and lawful hunting activities from 7 a.m. until 10 p.m.

Douglas County budget

Commissioners will resume county activities Monday morning with the first of three weeks of budget discussions and work sessions.

Despite cuts at the state level to local programs and services and expected tax increases from the city, County Administrator Craig Weinaug said he didn’t anticipate the necessity for any mill levy tax increases for county residents.

Budget sessions Monday and Tuesday will be at the County Courthouse, 111 E. 11th St., beginning at 8:30 a.m.

Comments

Stacy Napier 2 years, 9 months ago

The good thing is that I belive it is still legal to be naked in the county. I know the city has a indecent exposure law, but the State only has a Lewd and lascivious law. The county needs to get on it.

LadyJ 2 years, 9 months ago

Most people probably thought it already was 24/7,

KSShy1 2 years, 9 months ago

So will this mean that the neighbor's barking dog in the back yard could get silenced? FINALLY???? I suspect this new rule will generate many more calls to the police dispatch for noise complaints.

valgrlku 2 years, 9 months ago

I find this article strange, considering I received a ticket over three years ago (!) for this very thing for an "infraction" around 4pm on a Monday during apartment move-in week in the student ghetto. After living in my apartment for many years without any issues, a new tenant apparently didn't like the bass in my music.

The officer at my door told me that the noise ordinance was in place and enforced 24/7, and that was over three years ago. I was also told that something as "loud" as a TV can get you a summons - someone simply has to complain. I went to court to set my trial date (it's a misdemeanor criminal charge with the risk of jail time, not just a ticket), but luckily, the charges were dismissed due to lack of a complaining witness. If I had been convicted or had chosen diversion (which was definitely pushed as an "option") three years ago, you can bet that I would certainly be quite upset today after reading this.

solsken66 2 years, 9 months ago

Found this information on the City of Lawrence website:

The City of Lawrence begins residential collection service at 7 a.m. Please have all refuse out by this time on your day of service.

Grass and leaves are picked up citywide on Mondays, March through December (weather permitting) and collection begins at 6 a.m.

solsken66 2 years, 9 months ago

I was under the impression that the start time to go into residential areas to pick up the garbage was 7am, not before.

somedude20 2 years, 9 months ago

So the city will get a ticket from the loud racket that the garbage men (city ones) make by slamming things around (at 6am) and that wretched beeping sound from the truck. Oooooh yeeeah!

smitty 2 years, 9 months ago

How does the FOP facility fit into this?

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 9 months ago

Does this mean I can be ticketed for opportunity a chainsaw inside city limits? All construction crews better place silencers on their jackhammers, or the old lady next door will have 911 on speed dial. I like laws that are written with vague terminology such as "excessive". I suggest changing all speed limit signs to read "Speed Limit: drive less than excessive".

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 9 months ago

What is considered excessive noise? Say goodbye to commodity farming in Douglas County?

kernal 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm not holding my breath to see how well the Sheriff's department will be able to enforce this ordinance since the City can't seem to do it several days out of the year.

Robert Rauktis 2 years, 9 months ago

Do the restrictions include the University of Kansas?