Archive for Thursday, July 7, 2011

Douglas County commissioners approve extension of noise ordinance to be enforced all hours of the day

July 7, 2011

Douglas County’s quiet hours just got a little longer.

County commissioners Wednesday unanimously approved amendments to the county’s noise ordinance that allow for enforcement by at all hours of the day. The ordinance previously called for enforcement during nighttime hours.

Douglas County commissioners said they believed excessive noise could be a hazard to people’s health, safety, welfare and overall quality of life and should not only be restricted during one part of the day.

The amendments to the resolution include 24-hour enforcement as well as exceptions for lawful discharging of firearms and lawful hunting activities from 7 a.m. until 10 p.m.

Douglas County budget

Commissioners will resume county activities Monday morning with the first of three weeks of budget discussions and work sessions.

Despite cuts at the state level to local programs and services and expected tax increases from the city, County Administrator Craig Weinaug said he didn’t anticipate the necessity for any mill levy tax increases for county residents.

Budget sessions Monday and Tuesday will be at the County Courthouse, 111 E. 11th St., beginning at 8:30 a.m.

Comments

Robert Rauktis 3 years, 5 months ago

Do the restrictions include the University of Kansas?

jpreiner 3 years, 5 months ago

The amended ordinance is for unincorporated areas of Douglas County.

-Joe Preiner

kernal 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm not holding my breath to see how well the Sheriff's department will be able to enforce this ordinance since the City can't seem to do it several days out of the year.

Matthew Herbert 3 years, 5 months ago

Does this mean I can be ticketed for opportunity a chainsaw inside city limits? All construction crews better place silencers on their jackhammers, or the old lady next door will have 911 on speed dial. I like laws that are written with vague terminology such as "excessive". I suggest changing all speed limit signs to read "Speed Limit: drive less than excessive".

somedude20 3 years, 5 months ago

So the city will get a ticket from the loud racket that the garbage men (city ones) make by slamming things around (at 6am) and that wretched beeping sound from the truck. Oooooh yeeeah!

Vinny1 3 years, 5 months ago

Yes, but now its excessive noise and it "could be a hazard to people’s health, safety, welfare and overall quality of life".

Bunch of idiots running this city/county.

valgrlku 3 years, 5 months ago

I find this article strange, considering I received a ticket over three years ago (!) for this very thing for an "infraction" around 4pm on a Monday during apartment move-in week in the student ghetto. After living in my apartment for many years without any issues, a new tenant apparently didn't like the bass in my music.

The officer at my door told me that the noise ordinance was in place and enforced 24/7, and that was over three years ago. I was also told that something as "loud" as a TV can get you a summons - someone simply has to complain. I went to court to set my trial date (it's a misdemeanor criminal charge with the risk of jail time, not just a ticket), but luckily, the charges were dismissed due to lack of a complaining witness. If I had been convicted or had chosen diversion (which was definitely pushed as an "option") three years ago, you can bet that I would certainly be quite upset today after reading this.

jafs 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm just curious - what do you object to about a neighbor wanting to live in their apartment without having to hear your music or tv?

Vinny1 3 years, 5 months ago

1. Its the student ghetto.
  2. Its 4 in the afternoon.

jafs 3 years, 5 months ago

So?

Perhaps some students would like to study quietly in their living room without being bombarded by noise from neighbors' apartments.

Perhaps some people can't afford to rent/buy in more affluent neighborhoods, and have bought/rented a house in that one.

Perhaps somebody works at night and sleeps during the day.

Etc.

What gives you (or anybody else) the right to impose your noise on your neighbors?

KSShy1 3 years, 5 months ago

So will this mean that the neighbor's barking dog in the back yard could get silenced? FINALLY???? I suspect this new rule will generate many more calls to the police dispatch for noise complaints.

LadyJ 3 years, 5 months ago