Archive for Thursday, July 7, 2011

Brownback draws fresh criticism for choice of appointment to state medical board

July 7, 2011, 11:17 a.m. Updated July 7, 2011, 3:36 p.m.

— Abortion-rights supporters condemned Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback's appointment of an attorney who has previously represented anti-abortion protesters to the state board that licenses and regulates doctors, including those who terminate pregnancies.

Attorney Richard Macias of Wichita said Thursday that while he personally opposes abortion he can be fair in analyzing issues before the State Board of Healing Arts. He said his duty as an attorney is to uphold the law.

Kansas already has drawn national attention over new health department regulations for abortion providers, telling them what drugs and equipment they must stock, requiring them to give the department access to their medical records and setting requirements for room sizes and temperatures. The rules have been blocked by a federal judge until a lawsuit from providers is resolved.

Even with such rules, the Board of Healing Arts still would regulate individual doctors, consider allegations of misconduct against them and have the power to fine them or suspend or revoke their licenses. Brownback, an anti-abortion Republican, announced the appointment this week — several weeks after Macias actually joined the medical board.

Federal court records show Macias represented anti-abortion protesters in lawsuits arising from "Summer of Mercy" protests in Wichita in 1991 and 2001. His clients included the national group involved in the protest, Operation Save America, which used to be called Operation Rescue.

"This is yet another play in a full-on war against abortion in Kansas," said Bonnie Scott Jones, an attorney for the New York-based Center for Reproductive Rights, which is representing abortion providers in the lawsuit against the state's regulations.

Macias said he served as a local lawyer for the group and individual protesters and that most work was handled by "attorneys out of D.C." As for the criticism of him, he said, "They don't know who I am."

"I think if people give me a chance, I think they'll see I do a pretty good job on most issues," he said. "You follow the law."

In the past, abortion opponents have accused the Board of Healing Arts of being too lax in regulating doctors, particularly abortion providers. Anti-abortion groups were especially critical of the board when Democrat Kathleen Sebelius, an abortion-rights supporter, was governor in 2003-09.

State lawmakers adopted resolutions critical of the board in 2008 over multiple cases, leading to the resignation of its longtime executive director and legislation designed to improve the board's oversight.

"Mr. Macias is a well-qualified and very respected attorney who will continue the reforms needed at the Board of Healing Arts," said Brownback's spokeswoman, Sherriene Jones-Sontag.

The governor appoints the board's 15 members, but their four-year terms are staggered. Macias is the first board member appointed by Brownback, who took office in January.

Macias has handled adoptions for nearly 25 years and says on his website they represent three-quarters of his practice. A Republican, Macias has served as a small-claims court judge for two decades.

He also represented defendants in a 1991 lawsuit brought by two Wichita abortion clinics and the late Dr. George Tiller over protest tactics that limited or blocked access to their buildings. A federal judge ruled against the protesters, but an appeals court later overturned him.

Both of the clinics in that lawsuit have closed. Tiller was murdered in 2009 by a man professing strong anti-abortion views.

The other lawsuit involving Macias was filed in 2001 by protesters and Operation Save America after the city refused to grant a permit for two-hour parades twice a day around Tiller's clinic. A federal judge eventually ruled that their rights to free speech and due legal process had been violated.

Macias said the key issue in both cases was the protesters' civil rights and upholding the rule of law.

"I've never been out to protest at a clinic," Macias said. "I do have core values, but again, I just analyze what's before us. I'm a big rules-follower."

Julie Burkhart, founder of the abortion-rights political action committee Trust Women, said anyone who examines Macias' activities will have questions.

"I think his level of objectivity is minimal," said Burkhart, who formerly worked for Tiller. "This could be another tool that's used by the anti-choice administration — I would say the overreaching administration — to harass certain physicians, and those physicians are abortion providers."

Troy Newman, president of the group that now uses the Operation Rescue name, said abortion-rights supporters have had "cronies" in state government for a decade.

"They're going to complain about anybody unless they're part of their pro-abortion clique," Newman said.

A scheduling conference in the lawsuit against the new health department regulations for abortion providers is set for Aug. 16. The department drafted the rules under a new law requiring providers to obtain a special, annual license to continue terminating pregnancies.

The state also enacted laws this year to tighten restrictions on late-term procedures, restrict private health insurance coverage for abortions and require doctors to obtain written consent from parents before performing abortions on minors.

Brownback's critics contend his administration has spent too much time on abortion, diverting attention from the economy.

"Nobody thinks he has his eye on the ball," said Kansas Democratic Party Chairwoman Joan Wagnon.

The governor insists his administration is not distracted, and held a news conference Wednesday to tout work on economic issues.

He said almost all of the proposals on abortion he's signed were passed previously but vetoed by his abortion-rights predecessors, Sebelius and Mark Parkinson.

"These are not new topics in the state of Kansas," Brownback said. "It hasn't taken my eye off the ball of us growing and pushing for jobs and job creation."

Comments

Jeff Barclay 3 years, 5 months ago

Here's the rub. Abortion is not a "healing art." It is murder and should be illegal. How in the world did taking the life of an unborn child come to be called women's health care?

RevBilly 3 years, 5 months ago

Alyosha 3 years, 5 months ago

Despite your belief that it "should" be illegal, it is not illegal.

To answer your question, anything having to do with pregnancies — which happen, if you don't know, in women exclusively — is biologically bound up by and influences the health of the woman within whom a pregnancy develops.

You seriously don't know that babies develop in women's bodies?

jhawk0097 3 years, 5 months ago

If that's the case, you should really be pissed at your god. He kills a lot of "babies".

Scribeoflight 3 years, 5 months ago

It's not murder.

It is often times an unpleasant choice. A choice that many people disagree with based on their opinion and beliefs about life.

Not everyone shares those opinions and beliefs.

Therefore, the procedure is legal for those who choose or need it.

If you are morally opposed to it, then you do not have to ever have one.

Eileen Jones 3 years, 5 months ago

It's the law and Brownback wants to break it.

He needs to work to change the law, not resort to dishonest tactics.

Liberty275 3 years, 5 months ago

"your religious based morality makes it murder"

False. I've been an atheist 40 years and I know abortion is the intentional killing of a human being and therefore murder. It is one of the few examples of legal murder in America along with the death penalty and acts committed in self defense.

If you don't have the guts to admit abortion is murder, you shouldn't even bother defending it. If it has to be sugar-coated for you to support it, then you are just being manipulated by real advocates.

My reply concerning abortion: Abortion is murder and I support it without question, for any reason the woman has, until the child is born. It is the woman's body and if she want's to kill a parasite inside her, that is her prerogative.

PrimalScream 3 years, 5 months ago

Murder is defined as an 'unlawful' killing. Since currently abortion is legal, it is not murder.

ksriver2010 3 years, 5 months ago

"but the feat is to keep supporting the fetus after it becomes a feed us." Classic.

TheStonesSuck 3 years, 5 months ago

It's not really confusing, these nutjobs are theocrats in power. Can you say Taliban? I'm sure an amendment to change the state to Kansistan is on the horizon. These guys hate us because of our freedom...never had much meaning for me until now.

yourworstnightmare 3 years, 5 months ago

Yet another move by Brownback in the culture wars. Ideological purity is a must under any theocracy. Just ask Iranians.

cowboy 3 years, 5 months ago

The writer is being quite coy in this article.

Macias is the attorney for Operation Rescue , the domestic terrorist anti abortion organization who were quite responsible morally for the murder of George Tiller.

You are judged by the company you keep Brownhack , domestic terrorists !

Liberty275 3 years, 5 months ago

"You are judged by the company you keep Brownhack , domestic terrorists ! "

Domestic terrorists like Bill Ayers?

yourworstnightmare 3 years, 5 months ago

Yes, that's correct.

BTW, what happened to Iggy Pop as your avatar? Was he too ideologically impure for you? Too pro-choice?

I'm sure the Sex Pistols are better. Ever heard the song "Bodies"?

Bob Forer 3 years, 5 months ago

I went to law school with Rick. A nice guy, but not what you would call an "intellectual heavyweight." If he is qualified to serve on the State Board, then any Kansas attorney is. This is obviously a rank political appointment based on Rick's strong anti-abortion views. Brownback's choice is hardly surprising, as it is very apparent that Brownback intends to do everything he humanly can to foist his narrow religious beliefs upon the rest of us. Folks who vote Republicans purely for fiscal reasons but are otherwise moderate on social issues need to think long and hard before they support this wingnut of a Governor for re-election.

overthemoon 3 years, 5 months ago

And we need to disable the stranglehold this single issue has on our entire political process!!

50YearResident 3 years, 5 months ago

God called to Mr. Brownback, Sam Brownback, I need your help. Sam said whatever it is, I will help you. God said, you must go out into the world and save mankind, you are the chosen one. Sam said, I will do my best, just tell me how to serve. God said, start by saving all the unborn, the sinners and the unbelievers. If you do that I will make you President. Sam, I will do it by starting in Kansas and work my way outward. I will spread your word and do your bidding and you will be happy for choosing me. God said ,We will see!

verity 3 years, 5 months ago

"pretty good job on most issues"

Not exactly a resounding endorsement of himself. Don't think I'd be hired if I said that in a job interview.

Eileen Jones 3 years, 5 months ago

He is auditioning for the Kolch Brothers group and expects to get their endorsement and run for president based on how extensively and slickly he was able to r.ape and pillage Kansas. Then the rest of the country will get the same treatment.

average 3 years, 5 months ago

Exactly what is his connection to medical issues?

I mean, the rest of the board are all medical professionals, save Brenda Sharpe, who was the CEO of a non-profit health care related foundation. Macias, is, um, an adoption lawyer?

Just seems like another horse-show-planner-running-FEMA kinda deal to me.

pace 3 years, 5 months ago

I don't think the government or even citizens have the right to impede a woman's legal civil rights . I respect that some people's religious beliefs are against some of the things that are legal. Some faiths don't allow drinking, dancing, pictures of Mohammad, medical care, medical procedures, abortions. I think church and state should be separate. . I think civil rights should be protected by the government.

rockchalker52 3 years, 5 months ago

TheSycophant sez:

"Republicans purely for fiscal reasons but are otherwise moderate on social issues need to think long and hard before they support this wingnut of a Governor for re-election."

I wish that would fit on a bumper sticker. What in the world is going on with these people? Brownback, Perry, Bachman, Palin? I mean what kind of kool-ade are they serving at this tea party? You repubs better get a handle on your party or change your zip code to Zealotville.

Pastor_Bedtime 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm sure this guy will be his own worst enemy, will overstep his bounds, and with luck will wind up being run out of town on a rail... just like Phill Kline (but with luck this time he won't have a trunkful of private folks' abortion records in his trunk).

Eileen Jones 3 years, 5 months ago

Children can't vote, but women sure can, and there are many men who are decent enough to despise what Brownback is doing to women and children.

Eileen Jones 3 years, 5 months ago

Lots of people are figuring out what Brownback's "family values" really are. I don't think people knew what they would be getting when they voted for him. Now they are getting an inkling.

lunacydetector 3 years, 5 months ago

i like what brownback is doing. he is giving kansas a good reputation. it's long overdue.

laughingatallofu 3 years, 5 months ago

"What luck for rulers that men do not think."

Not sure who said it, but Sam has sure taken that and run with it.

redmoonrising 3 years, 5 months ago

I guess my biggest laugh in this whole article was his saying, at least twice, "You follow the law." And who is making that law?

zzgoeb 3 years, 5 months ago

Has anyone noticed it always seems to be men deciding what women can or should do with their bodies? In a country where a fetus is a citizen, money is speech, and corporations are citizens, what could possibly go wrong?

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 5 months ago

I don't know why anyone is surprised, this guy was a lousy senator and is a lousy governer. This facist theocrat has made his religious crusade completely visible, and the addled voters have elected him. Live with it. Next time do some thinking. The Islamic Republic of Kansas is closer than you think.