Archive for Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Body of 52-year-old Lawrence man discovered at local hotel; police investigating

July 5, 2011

Lawrence police are trying to determine the cause of death of a 52-year-old Lawrence man who was found Tuesday morning in a Lawrence hotel room.

Sgt. Matt Sarna, a police spokesman, said police were called at 9:10 a.m. Tuesday to the Howard Johnson Hotel, 2222 W. Sixth St., after someone found the man unresponsive. The man’s name was not released.

“Detectives are currently working at the crime scene and attempting to contact potential witnesses to determine the events and circumstances surrounding the incident,” Sarna said. “The cause of death has not been determined at this time.”

Forensic investigators Tuesday evening could be seen in the hotel's parking lot dusting beer cans for evidence.

Officers asked anyone with information to call police at 785-832-7650 or Douglas County Crime Stoppers at 785-843-TIPS (8477).

Comments

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 5 months ago

There's a hojo in lawrence now? do tell....

akt2 3 years, 5 months ago

ivalueamerica 3 years, 5 months ago

what, what a class act you are.

You do not know this man, his story, how he died, what happened, but you lump him in as a bum.

I can only say that since I know more about you than I do the departed, I can safely say I have enough evidence to know that you are a bitter and cruel person who offers little of value to society.

I would much rather be next to one of your so called bums than you...any day of the week.

I wonder what you would say if you found out that this person was a friend or loved one of yours.

pace 3 years, 5 months ago

I am sorry for the loss to the family and friends. I think conjecture and hooliganism is inappropriate. There are plenty of stories one can have a bit of fun with, Don't use a man's death as a vehicle. Ride your own dime. I agree with you Ivalueamerica

SpeedRacer 3 years, 5 months ago

This is the Econo Lodge (formerly Westminster Inn). For some reason it is listed as both a Howard Johnson's and Econo Lodge. I live near it and it is the only motel in town I suggest to friends and relatives that they NOT stay.

SpeedRacer 3 years, 5 months ago

I am mistaken, the Econolodge is in the 2500 block. Your name is apt, is the burger is made of crap.

local_ex_con 3 years, 5 months ago

As for checking facts, people should keep there crude or rude comments to a minimum out of respect for the families who may be involved. Wait till more information is made public before negativity. When it all comes out it may surprise you too. There are three old Lawrence families involved here, my prayers go out to you. An to a certain woman, you know who to talk with.

akt2 3 years, 5 months ago

kernal 3 years, 5 months ago

The deceased was 52, so it is very possible he died of natural causes.

Some people seem to be wearing their maroon hats this evening.

Lawrencegirl81 3 years, 5 months ago

The man mentioned is somewhat of a relation of mine. Before you comment you should always think about the people and their families. He may have gone down a wrong path in life, but that does not mean he wasn't somebody's son, husband, father..... It's sad people are so jaded they forget these things. @ivalueamerica, and local_ex_con, thank you.

cj123 3 years, 5 months ago

I agree! What gives others the right to judge? They didn't know him or his feelings or thoughts. I just hope he left peacefully!

rollingstone700097 3 years, 5 months ago

the man in question was my brother. You could have no idea of the road he travelled to get to this violent end. Yes he was an alcoholic and with his lifestyle this outcome was only a matter of time. I see this kind of thing in our society and wonder how we can spend billions on wars and useless projects and not take care of our children and citizens who are addicted and homeless and the mentally ill.b On the other side of the coin, he wasted his life and ignored chances to improve himself and chose his own road, we all came from the same house and him and his older brother are now both dead by violent means, as myself and my brother and sister are doing very well considering. His mother became my step mother after ny mother took her own life when I was seven. My father adoped him and his brother, I lost my father in 09 and now my step brother and my sisters husband was murdered in lawrence in Feb of 2010 so its very complicated and I caution any one who feels motivated to judge or comment on subjects or lives that they know nothing about. sincerely Karl Wiggins

cj123 3 years, 5 months ago

I am sorry for your loss! He is at peace now.

Loretta James 3 years, 5 months ago

no one respects anyone when their alive and they bash them when they die i just mark it up to the persons being STUPID. So sorry for your loss may prayers help you and the wiggins family. Please people keep it respectfull for the family. Prayers to you all

bethann 3 years, 5 months ago

Karl - My heart goes out to you for your loss. Please know that there are many compassionate and nonjudgmental persons in the community. Alcoholism is a disease and it affects everyone in the person's life. Bless you.

Ashley Shoemaker 3 years, 5 months ago

1) The hotel is a Howard Johnson, formerly Econo Lodge, formerly the Ramada Inn. The hotel has nothing to do with the events that happened, it could have easily been anywhere. You would know that if you had any incite to what actually happened 2) you people should have respect for other peoples lives, maybe theyre not your favorite people but their lives are no less important. My thoughts are with the family, this was a sudden, unexpected death, give the man some peace!

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 5 months ago

I was curious about things because normally the newspaper doesn't call it a "crime scene" until it's been determined a crime has been committed. There was no other indication this was a violent death and the cause of death hasn't been determined. Perhaps the LJ World needs to edit a little more before they publish a story. My daughter lost her father-in-law as an unattended death several years ago. 52 is not too young to have died a natural death. Had the LJ World worded things differently I would have made the assumption that this was an unattended death (and there has been nothing else reported to indicate that it isn't). At the very least I would have not jumped to conclusions until the entire story was reported. I am extremely sorry for the family of this man. To lose someone around a holiday is a very hard thing to happen. Losing someone unexpectedly by accident or violence is doubly hard. My prayers are with you tonight.

Kelly Johnson 3 years, 5 months ago

Well, this is a first for me, learning of a family member's death via Facebook and LJWorld comments...

kernal 3 years, 5 months ago

I don't know what to say to that, except I'm sorry you had to learn about tit this way. Maybe your relatives couldn't get a hold of you?

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 5 months ago

I am really sorry that this happened at all, but I sure do know how bad it is to learn of a very personal family matter from reading the newspaper.

I can certainly personally relate to it because many years ago, I got the shock of my life from reading the front page of the Lawrence Journal World.

juststrugglin 3 years, 5 months ago

Is there any update to this story? Rumors are flying around and thru the family grape vine. The family is in my prayers.

AGameCWB 3 years, 5 months ago

this just horrible and worse even is that even though this is most likely a homicide the LPD will try their best not too classify it as such beings that they are in the business of artificially keeping the crime rate low due toit he university being here. just kije they keep the rampant drug pronlems here in lawrence as supressed as they can i would like to see them actually acknowledge that lawrence isnt as safe a place to live as they portray it to be. this man was a part of my mothers family n it saddens me to see the pain in my familys eyes. so i would like to see the police actually do something instead of just feignin ignorance as they usually do