Archive for Friday, January 28, 2011

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor visiting with students at KU

January 28, 2011

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor visited with Kansas University and Washburn University law students on the KU campus on Friday.

Some KU undergraduates and students from area high schools were also scheduled to attend the event, which was closed to the public and the media.

She becomes the latest in a line of Supreme Court justices to visit KU in recent years, joining Chief Justice John Roberts, Sandra Day O’Connor, Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, Antonin Scalia and Byron White.

Sotomayor was nominated by President Barack Obama on May 26, 2009, and took her seat Aug. 8, 2009. She is the first Hispanic justice and third woman to serve on the high court.

She declined to be interviewed by the Journal-World.

Comments

mr_right_wing 4 years, 3 months ago

Closed to the 'public' or closed to non-Latinos/Hispanics??

She has, in the past, (still might be) been involved with a group called "National Council of La Rasa" I've verified this with more than one trusted Spanish-speaking person; la rasa interpreted in english means 'the race". She has proven several times she judges (at least in part) according to race. (Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. specifically spoke out on this in his life.)

I'd have a huge problem with any white that was involved with a group that had 'the race' in it's name. That's just sounds too reminicent of Nazi Germany. It would sicken me to hear some white guy say he is uniquely qualified to judge because of his sex and/or race. No racist; David Duke or Robert Byrd (may he never 'rest-in-peace") has any business in any part of government. A racist of any color is disgusting.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 3 months ago

This is an absurd post.

La Raza is not a racist organization, and neither is the NAACP, for that matter (and your ignorance of the Spanish language is no excuse for your ignorance of that fact.) There is no basis for conflating them with white supremacists. It's one thing to express pride in your ethnic heritage, and quite another to openly declare the supremacy of your race or ethnic group over all others.

La Raza and the NAACP were founded specifically to counter the effects of centuries of white racism and oppression towards latinos and African-Americans, the legacy of which is still very much with us. If you want to find white organizations with which they are somewhat analogous, it'd be any of the thousands of groups around the country that celebrate Swedish, Polish, German, English, Irish, etc., culture. And they're no more "racist" than La Raza or NAACP.

"David Duke or Robert Byrd"

This is just as absurd. I understand that Republicans are very defensive about the very definite racist undercurrent that's overtaken their party over the last 50 years, but there is no comparison between these two people. Byrd repudiated his racist past decades ago, and even if you dislike most of what he did in the Senate, his career there provides overwhelming evidence that that repudiation was sincere. David Duke, on the other hand, has never repudiated anything.

Bob Forer 4 years, 3 months ago

Closed to the 'public' or closed to non-Latinos/Hispanics??

I doubt there are more than a handful of "Latino-Hispanics" enrolled at the Washburn and KU Law Schools. Do you really think a U.S. Surpreme Court Justice would travel all the way to Kansas to speak to five people. What an absurd suggestion.

countrygirl 4 years, 3 months ago

Interesting that the article doesn't mention the Landon Lecture she did at K-State. Those are open to the public.

Jimo 4 years, 3 months ago

Only a racist could pretend that race plays no role in the apportionment, exercise, and administration of governmental power including the judicial system. Either our society is color-blind, or non-whites are: (A) more stupid, (B) lazier, (C) less driven, (D) far more disposed to commit crimes. It's either/or.

Thanks Mr. Limbaugh but you can post under any pseudonym you'd like but we'd recognize your voice anywhere.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 3 months ago

Part of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. dream is that one day people would be judged by character, not color of skin. This philosophy is in opposition to Justice Sotomayor.

Justice should be blind, especially to color of skin. Justice Sotomayor has made rulings to the contrary, which is just as bad as racist rulings against, and that failed to protect blacks in the past.

You should never turn a blind eye to one type of racism vs. another. They are all sickening and vile. The Declaration of Independence is a great document, except for the discusting part that refers to Native Americans as 'savages'.

justoneperson 4 years, 3 months ago

Um, a lot of the speakers the Law School brings in are closed events....

And, seriously, I thought it's become clear that comparing people to the Nazis isn't cool. Nazis are Nazis. Unfortunately, the purpose/point of your post (^^^) gets lost in your rhetoric.

justoneperson 4 years, 3 months ago

Not to mention that you take her comments out of context and include your own personal bias into the interpretation of her statements.

"wise Latina" because of her life experiences would "hopefully" make better decisions than a white man --um, look at Plessy v. Ferguson...

"My personal and professional experiences help me to listen and understand, with the law always commanding the result in every case." --so, yeah, not about race at all, it's about the situation she grew up in

Try this one: "The task of a judge is not to make law. It is to apply the law," Sotomayor said. "And it is clear, I believe, that my record in two courts reflects my rigorous commitment to interpreting the Constitution according to its terms, interpreting statutes according to their terms and Congress's intent, and hewing faithfully to precedents established by the Supreme Court and by my circuit court."

jhawkinsf 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm just freelancing here, going on memory alone without having the specifics to back up my statement, but I believe she also said once that appeals courts made more laws than legislators (or something to that effect). IF she did say that, then it would contradict the above statement. Probably everyone on this planet has contradicted themselves at some point in their lives. Looking at her official record would give better insight into which statement is more accurate.

Justice2011 4 years, 3 months ago

intel i5 core link automatic Justice2011 says…

Since the beginning of the men's basketball season, John Lungstrum, chief judge of the U.S. District Court of Kansas, has sat courtside with Kansas University Athletic Director Lew Perkins. The two often can be seen in the background during televised games, Lungstrum wearing his lucky blue KU sweater.

"He's there as my guest," Perkins said. "We're friends, and we enjoy talking basketball with each other."

Said Lungstrum, "I guess I'm just a lucky guy, is basically what it amounts to."

The two met at a party a couple years ago, Lungstrum said. At the time, Perkins' daughter, Holly, was considering going to law school.

"He called me and said, 'You're the only person I know on the law school faculty. Would you mind talking to my daughter about law school?'" Lungstrum said. "I said I'll be happy to. ... That was the beginning of our having more than just a casual acquaintance."

Perkins' daughter ended up going to KU law and this year has a for-credit internship working in Lungstrum's chambers in Kansas City, Kan.

Lungstrum, a member of the Williams Fund, holds four season tickets.

During the summer, Perkins asked Lungstrum to come and sit courtside with him. Lungstrum said he was able to accept the offer in part because of his long-standing policy to not hear any cases related to KU.

"I never have taken KU cases because I'm on the faculty. I am conflicted out of any litigation that would involve the University of Kansas," he said. "If that were not the case, I probably would have declined Lew's offer to sit there because I recognize that I'm fairly visible sitting down there."

Lungstrum, who grew up in Lawrence and came back in the early 1970s, is a Yale graduate who was in the Yale Political Union with John Kerry and was a classmate of former New York Gov. George Pataki. John Lungstrum, left, chief judge of the U.S. District Court of Kansas, sits courtside with Kansas University Athletics Director Lew Perkins during Saturday's men's basketball game against University of Texas.

Photo by Nick Krug

Perkins took some exercise equipment for free, from a vendor. He got ratted out. He retired. He payed a fine. 'Thats all there is too it.

This was a minor ethical violation....Thats all??

Jimo 4 years, 3 months ago

So .... you're a law student who got a bad grade from Lungstrum? Or a law student who didn't get an internship opportunity with Lungstrum? Or you have a man-crush on Perkins and wanted to sit with him yourself? There's no ethical problem here. At worst, there's the appearance of impropriety ... if you didn't know that the Judge doesn't hear any cases involving the University.