Archive for Tuesday, January 25, 2011

LJWorld.com’s Green Edition lets you view newspaper online as it appears in print

January 25, 2011

Green Edition

The Green Edition is an electronic replica of the printed Journal-World, exactly as you'd find it on paper (excluding ad inserts). It is available to print subscribers as part of their subscription. If you're not a print subscriber, you can receive just the Green Edition for $8.10 per month. One-day access can be purchased for $0.75 Monday-Saturday and $1.25 on Sunday. Looking for older Green Editions? Check the <a href="http://www2.ljworld.com/greenedition/archive/">Green Edition archive.</a>

The Journal-World is going green by offering a virtual newspaper.

The new Green Edition is an electronic version of the newspaper as it appears in print. It gives readers complete control to zoom in on an article or an advertisement, navigate each section and even turn pages. The Green Edition is available via LJWorld.com.

“As recycling has become a priority for many people in our community, we thought we should provide the newspaper to our customers how, when and where they want it, including in virtual form,” said Chris Bell, Journal-World circulation director. “The Green Edition allows us to provide that resource. I look forward to seeing how the community embraces the Green Edition.”

A Green Edition subscription costs $8.10 per month, which does not include the print edition. It is also available to current Journal-World print subscribers for 50 cents per month.

Single-day access costs 75 cents daily, or $1.25 on Sundays. Single-day passes can be accessed at ljworldstore.com.

To get started, go to the Green Edition section of LJWorld.com. For more information, call the circulation department at 843-1000.

Comments

julz 3 years, 2 months ago

AWESOME! Thanks! I have often noticed how your website and print edition vary quite a bit.

JackMcKee 3 years, 2 months ago

The Daily, still on track to launch in the next few weeks is 99-cent weekly. The LJW "green edition" seems a little pricey.

ophiuchus 3 years, 2 months ago

Hmm... gonna need to get an iPad for the bottom of my birdcage....

1julie1 3 years, 2 months ago

I like the green edition.

My dissatisfaction with the online edition has been that I miss numerous smaller stories and notices that I catch in my print edition. I notice that my husband (who only reads the online version) frequently misses stories I have read and enjoyed in print.

I also like seeing the paper laid out in traditional fashion. There is a rhythm and a flow that goes with the print version that is missing from online. The green edition is not the same thing as holding the print version in your hands while having a morning cup of coffee (or evening cup if you get busy at work and don't get the paper read until the end of the day), but it is much closer in feel and I like that.

And no, I am not 90 years old and tied to the past. You would have to pry my computer keyboard and link to the internet out of my cold, dead, youngish hands ;-)

And yes, I even like seeing the ads in place as they are in the paper. I do like to shop locally, and if I see local ads I pay attention and try to support those businesses that are here in Lawrence, paying taxes in Lawrence, and hiring here in town.

Now if it was possible to clip the stories and coupons I think I'd be even happier. Maybe in the next iteration?

Thanks for making this option available.

irvan moore 3 years, 2 months ago

are you going to put the weekly tv guide in the green edition? it kind of sucks that you decided to give me less than i signed up for in my newspaper.

Ralph Reed 3 years, 2 months ago

We have two people in our home who would access the paper. Does that mean we pay a dollar extra instead of 50 cents? We both should be able to look at it.

camper 3 years, 2 months ago

Will the sports page have baseball box scores just like printed edition? This would be great!

Chris Ogle 3 years, 2 months ago

Just read the "green edition" ......and I like the big print. It's easier for me to read . Thanks for the additional service.

themiddlechild 3 years, 2 months ago

Will the coupons in the Sunday's paper?

BigPrune 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm all about protecting our precious national resources and I'm, like, totally concerned about greenhouse flashes and sustainable forest fires and stuff!

RoeDapple 3 years, 2 months ago

Just signed up! Thanks LJW. At least one copy won't get chewed up by the neighbors dog.

Agnostick 3 years, 2 months ago

And this "Green Edition" is compatible with what kinds of devices...?

irvan moore 3 years, 2 months ago

is my delivery guy going to be put out of work?

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 2 months ago

Scratching my head. Everything (and more) is available online than it is in print. Why in the world would anyone pay for this?

hatfieldream 3 years, 2 months ago

how about a free trial? I might subscribe but I would like to chekc it out first.

loosecaboose 3 years, 2 months ago

Does that mean we will have to pay to see this website? How long before the paper edition is gone, and I will have nothing to read with breakfast?

Newell_Post 3 years, 2 months ago

Well, now there's a technology in search of a non-problem.....