Archive for Sunday, January 23, 2011

Winter weather advisory expires for Douglas and surrounding counties

The latest models from the U.S. National Weather Service predicts the area will see some snow Sunday morning, but less than previous estimates.

January 23, 2011, 12:00 a.m. Updated January 23, 2011, 12:06 p.m.

Kansas weather updates, via Twitter

12:01 p.m. update

The winter weather advisory that was in effect for Douglas and surrounding counties has expired, according to the National Weather Service.

7 a.m. update

The winter weather advisory continues until noon today, though most of the region saw less than a half inch of snow accumulation — and none in Lawrence — overnight.

However, the National Weather Service reports that light to moderate snow is expected north of Interstate 70 this morning. Brown, Jackson, and northern Jefferson counties could see up to an inch of additional snow. The remainder of the area, including Douglas County, could still see a half an inch of snow. All snow accumulation should end by noon today.

The NWS also reports that light freezing drizzle is possible and could reduce visibility, impacting travel conditions. The Kansas Department of Transportation reports spots of snow packed and icy road conditions on I-70 between Lawrence and Kansas City.

The temperature forecast for Sunday during the day is a high near 22, with a low around 10 during the night.

Wind gusts of between 20 and 25 mph are also possible.

12 a.m. update

The winter weather advisory issued for Douglas County remains in effect until noon today.

The current forecast calls for a possibility of light snow and freezing rain overnight. Ice accumulation isn't expected to be noticeable, but snowfall is expected to be between one and two inches.

Temperatures won't do much in the way of melting was does accumulate, as highs for Sunday will be in the low 20s.

Kansas Department of Transportation has reported wet, slushy roads in Leavenworth County. Light snow flurries have also been reported in Lecompton.

4:36 p.m. update

The latest projections from the National Weather Service are in and they've got a bit of good news and a bit of bad news for Lawrence.

Snow totals for our area are now expected to be in only the 2-4" range, though likely on the lower side. According to the latest map from the National Weather Service, areas of southwest Douglas County may see just 1-2" of snow.

The snow is expected to start before midnight and taper off by Sunday morning.

The bad news, however, is that areas along I-70 may see the snow start as freezing rain for some time before it turns to all snow.

Check back with LJWorld.com for updates.

7:13 a.m. update

The National Weather Service has issued a winter weather advisory for Douglas County effective from 6 p.m. Saturday through noon Sunday.

Counties included in the advisory are:

• Brown
  • Douglas
  • Jackson
  • Jefferson
  • Marshall
  • Nemaha
  • Pottawatomie
  • Shawnee
  • Washington
  • Johnson
  • Wyandotte

Another potent, fast-moving storm is expected to bring snowfall to northeast Kansas. Snow will begin to fall Saturday night and accumulations of 2-4 inches are likely by Sunday morning.

Winds of 10-15 mph with gusts of 20-25 mph will produce some minor drifting.

Periods of light to moderate snowfall will reduce visibility and make travel conditions hazardous.

Check back with LJWorld.com for updates.

Comments

bearded_gnome 4 years ago

lists 28 comments, none are here!

I think the world is ending now.

SandCoAlmanac 4 years ago

I noticed that, but I also wonder if Leavenworth County would be a good place to live during these times. The "Tonganoxie Split," an urban legend, says that as weather approaches Tonganoxie it splits, sending part of the bad weather north and part of it south. Judging from this weather advisory, which excludes Leavenworth county as I write this, it seems there might be more to that legend than has been credited!

Curtis Lange 4 years ago

LV county was, but in this newspaper's infinite wisdom they don't feel it is important to ALSO include the adjoining counties listed under the Pleasant Hill's advisories...

Daniel Dicks 4 years ago

Leavenworth- Lansing is a lousy place to live in any kind of weather is my "urban legend".

sr80 4 years ago

i didnt say hell would be hot or cold,the world ended when i was born.signed lucifer

Knologized 4 years ago

We should look into Rightsizing this precipitation..

Gareth Skarka 4 years ago

And everyone except born-again ignorant hayseeds understand that global warming means that the ocean temperatures -- which act as regulating effect on weather -- rise. The result (I'll type slowly, so that you'll get it) -- WILD SWINGS of extremes. Extremely hot summers, heavy storms in winter and spring.

Seriously -- science is real. Most adults have known this since the 18th century or so.

Daniel Dicks 4 years ago

TYPING IN "CAPS" ENHANCES CREDIBILITY TOO. THEY LIKE THAT.

Heather Perry 4 years ago

whats global warming? that we are getting snow in winter time?

Gary Anderson 4 years ago

When weather scientists tell me it's going to snow 5-7 inches and lo and behold...the storm starts almost to the minute predicted...deposits 6 inches...even stops when predicted, I'm impressed. When I see their accuracy year after year...again I'm impressed. When these same scientists tell me the world is getting warmer and there will be major consequences for mankind, I would have to ignore a lifetime of personal observation of their accuracy to instead listen to a TV personality or politician tell me all the scientists are lying...now...that would be crazy.

RoeDapple 4 years ago

931 posts @ 12:22. "former" ljw poster having a little fun?

RoeDapple 4 years ago

CyberKnight (anonymous) says… "I think that if you think the guy is gone, you are dreaming. I'd be keeping my head down." March 9, 2010 at 7:44 p.m."

Daniel Kennamore 4 years ago

Is there anything you can't turn into one of your loony right-wing diatribes?

windjammer 4 years ago

The only glitch we've seen is you Shewmon.

Boston_Corbett 4 years ago

...the wicked glitch of the east...

Jonathan Kealing 4 years ago

No. It's a particular banned used commenting a lot. His comments are reflected in the comment count, but not public.

killjoy 4 years ago

So, why not just eliminate the account?

Ken Lassman 4 years ago

1021 right now. Gotta get in on this conversation.

Everybody talks about the weather....guess the JW can now say they are doing something about it!

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years ago

wow says over 1200 comments but I sure don't see that many.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years ago

Wow. So, some guy is so bored that he's posting over and over all afternoon...

Why would the LJW want to ban someone so... self-controlled and rational?

Phil Minkin 4 years ago

Supposedly over 1200 comments, proving everyone really does talk about the whether.

irvan moore 4 years ago

do you think it could be hwsnbn or are there more of "them" out there?

caddyshacks 4 years ago

So does this mean that the sidewalks go unshoveled again?

riverdrifter 4 years ago

Wow: 1267 comments contributed by somebody about a fizzling snow event. Must've been a slow Saturday for S(someone)WMNBN...

bearded_gnome 4 years ago

okay, I claim the apocalypse first prize, note my comment number 1.
[does silly little dance!] no, I didn't use the word, but ...

somebody *reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally needs a life!.

bearded_gnome 4 years ago

s 1. 19/bearded_gnome_r48x48
bearded_gnome (anonymous) says…

lists 28 comments, none are here!

I think the world is ending now.

January 22, 2011 at 9:11 a.m.

note the time: 9:11 ... accident? I think not!

thus we know that the banned poster is clearly a terrorist member of Al-qaeda.

sr80 4 years ago

mr gnome how do you know what time it was? your sitting in a yard somewhere and the sun wasn't shining.please explain.

LadyJ 4 years ago

I wonder why "someone" picked now to play games? Wonder who "annoyed him".

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

Is it snowing on the trade routes?

riverdrifter 4 years ago

Good one, Snap. BTW, I never brought this up by mentioning HWMNBMBN, nowhutahmean?

Boston_Corbett 4 years ago

Not sure what the weather in Herington is right now.

But I did recently hear that N-95 respirators will keep spam out of your nose.

LadyJ 4 years ago

Have to remember to check in around midnight if I can stay awake.That's when it usually gets interesting.

Boston_Corbett 4 years ago

1,500 bottles of Grey Goose on the wall. 1,500 hundred bottles of Grey Goose. Take one down, pass it around, 1,499 bottles of Grey Goose on the wall...

LadyJ 4 years ago

Hmm, kept gettin "page no found" when I tried to just refresh.

wmathews 4 years ago

In order to keep a story in the red breaking news bar for a time period that spans over multiple dates, we have to republish the story at midnight which, unfortunately, changes the link. That's why you got the 404. It's best to start fresh by clicking the link at the top of the page if you're refreshing near midnight.

Whitney Mathews Assistant Community Editor for Online

irvan moore 4 years ago

6:23am sunday and no new snow at my house, yay!

rbwaa 4 years ago

1294 comments at 9:30 a.m. 1/23/11

bearded_gnome 4 years ago

ladyj, I had the same problem.
I blamed: george bush; or that pesky fact that I'm trying to get on from north lawrence. you know, the city neglects north lawrence, etc.

except when we have a giant mushroom.

next time, we need a mushroomcam, put the giant mushroom live on the internet!

LadyJ 4 years ago

Great idea, I've heard you can watch corn grow too.

bearded_gnome 4 years ago

---bla bla bla ... translation: you did have trouble accessing because the link to north lawrence on the interweb tubes has potholes in it!

just joking Whitney ... okay, put that down Witney!

thanks for the explanation.

sr80 4 years ago

you are pure genius! a genius i tell you!

RoeDapple 4 years ago

Sure loads quick for 1300 posts . . .

;-)

beatrice 4 years ago

Winter weather advisory ... in your pants!

RoeDapple 4 years ago

Count now 2154! Going for a record!

LadyJ 4 years ago

Hey, I was just going to post that.

LadyJ 4 years ago

His crew in India must be on the clock.

LadyJ 4 years ago

♣Free the Blog♣ Now that would probably really annoy "someone".

riverdrifter 4 years ago

Unchain them potlickers & turn'em loose on the trade routes.

riverdrifter 4 years ago

Guess I should've known, Py. Anyway, dammnit, I wanted to be no. 3,000. Shoot. I don't advocate violence agin the ladies but every time I see Katie during tornado season, I just want to spank her. Anyway, a steamy 75-degree evening with a tornado watch and the grill going sounds pretty damn good.

bearded_gnome 4 years ago

3000-posts! she's gonna blow!

you are pure genius! a genius i tell you!

---why thank you SR80, it is difficult to remain humble when you are me ... [smirk]. 0

RoeDapple 4 years ago

Solved! It is with great pride I can announce I have discovered the source of all the ghost posties! May I present to you The Great, The Powerful . . .

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

It's not like we didn't already know that __ was annoying and obsessive.

notajayhawk 4 years ago

Glad to see there's something wrong with the counter. I was sincerely hoping there really weren't over 3000 comments about a weather advisory!

wmathews 4 years ago

The comments are being made by a banned user. So while they're comments don't show up on the story (because the user has been banned), they still add to the count. It's a flaw in the system.

RoeDapple 4 years ago