City commissioners will consider rezoning 51 acres of property at the southwest corner of North 1800 Road and East 1000 Road from suburban home residential to general industrial. Commissioners were scheduled to consider the rezoning at last week’s meeting but deferred it.
The property is adjacent to the Kansas Turnpike and is just east of the Lecompton interchange on the turnpike. A development group led by Steve and Duane Schwada have requested the rezoning to begin marketing the property to potential industrial users. Several neighbors have opposed the rezoning, saying that the rural nature of the site makes it inappropriate for industrial development currently. Some city commissioners also have questioned whether the site is suitable for general industrial development, or whether it should be limited to lighter industrial development.
• Approve minutes from the Dec. 7 and Dec. 28 meetings.
• Receive minutes from boards and commissions.
• Approve claims.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the city clerk’s office.
• Bid and purchase items:
a. Authorize the city manager to execute an engineering services agreement for $110,601 with Professional Engineering Consultants for design phase engineering services and property acquisition for relocating utilities for the 23rd Street bridge replacement project on East 23rd Street west of Haskell Avenue.
b. Approve extension of the ESRI Enterprise License Agreement (GIS software and maintenance), for Jan. 22, 2011, through January 21, 2012, for $50,000.
• Approve a substantial amendment to the 2010 CDBG Annual Action Plan of the 2008-2012 Consolidated Plan for Tenants to Homeowners Inc. reallocating $100,000 from the First Time Homebuyer Land Trust Rehabilitation Program to the Accessible Rental Options Rental Rehabilitation Project.
• Authorize the mayor to sign a release of mortgage for Pelathe Community Resource Center, 1409 and 1411 Haskell Avenue.
• Receive 2010 Lawrence Police Department Racial Profiling Report.
• Receive city manager’s report
Regular agenda items:
• Consider rezoning about 51 acres from County A-1 (Suburban Home Residential) to City IG (General Industrial), on the southwest corner of North 1800 Road (Farmer’s Turnpike) and East 1000 Road (Queens Road Extended). Submitted by Venture Properties Inc., property owner of record.
• Consider text amendments to the city’s land development code related to the density and development standards in the RM32 (Multi-Dwelling Residential) District including potentially increasing the maximum dwelling units per acre limit in that district.
• Reconsider text amendments to the land development code to review standards related to “boarding house” and expanded to consider parking standards for multi-dwelling structures and nonconforming standards for boarding houses.