Archive for Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cancellations, closings and delays for Thursday, Jan. 20, 2011

January 20, 2011, 12:00 a.m. Updated January 20, 2011, 4:09 p.m.

Send us your photos!

Do you have a snow photo to share? You can submit it via the website or email it to editor@ljworld.com.

We'll add your photos to our online gallery and Facebook page, so you can share them with your friends!

Here is a list of closings and cancellations for Thursday, Jan. 20, 2011:

Schools

• Baker University nursing school in Topeka — all classes canceled
  • Baldwin City USD #348
  • Basehor-Linwood USD #458 — all classes canceled
  • Bishop Seabury Academy
  • Century School
  • Corpus Christi Catholic School
  • De Soto USD #232
  • Eudora USD #491
  • Genesis Christian Academy in Tonganoxie — all classes canceled
  • Haskell Indian Nations University — all classes and activities canceled
  • Kansas University — Lawrence campus staff may arrive two hours late, Edwards campus closed
  • Lawrence USD #497 — all classes canceled
  • Wellsville USD 289

Events, organizations and businesses

• Americana Music Academy — closed Thursday
  • ATA Prime Martial Arts — all classes canceled
  • Ballard Center and Brookcreek Learning Center
  • Cottonwood Inc. will open at 10 a.m., but no community van routes will run
  • DASH Diet Nutrition Roundtable at Lawrence Memorial Hospital — canceled, rescheduled for 3/17 at 6:30 p.m.
  • Deffenbaugh recycling collection — suspended Thursday only, Thursday collections resume normal schedule next week
  • Dignified Doggies — all classes canceled
  • Douglas County CASA
  • Douglas County Dental Clinic — closed all day
  • Health Care Access
  • Independence, Inc.
  • Inverness Park District Plan Kick-off meeting — canceled
  • Kid's Choice Christian Daycare
  • Lawrence Gymnastics will not hold morning classes, Parents Morning Out or Zumba.
  • Lawrence Meals on Wheels will not deliver meals
  • Lawrence Parks and Recreation Department — GFORCE classes, Special Populations Division's N.E.W.S. class canceled
  • Lawrence Parks and Recreation Department's aquatic classes before 9 a.m. Aquatic classes after 9 a.m. are on as scheduled.
  • Lawrence Parks and Recreation Department facilities: The Indoor Aquatic Center will open at 5:15 a.m., as scheduled for public swim. The Community Building, East Lawrence Recreation Center and Holcom Park Recreation Center will open to the public at 8 a.m.
  • Lawrence Public Library — closed Thursday
  • Lawrence Senior Center will be closed. No Senior Meals will be served and there will be no Senior Wheels transportation.
  • Plymouth Congregational Church's ESL tutor orientation is postponed. It is rescheduled for Jan. 27, 2011, at 6 p.m.
  • Red Dog's Dog Days will not have a morning workout.
  • Yoga Center of Lawrence — 8:30 a.m., 10:15 a.m. and 4 p.m. classes are canceled
  • Gov. Sam Brownback announced Wednesday state offices in Topeka and Shawnee County will delay work start time for non-essential employees until 10 a.m. Thursday

Do you have a closing or cancellation to report? Email it to editor@ljworld.com

Comments

Jamminalive 3 years, 6 months ago

This is Lawrence a Liberal town, not a communist...

Heather Perry 3 years, 6 months ago

i see so many mistakes on these articles does the lawrence journal world not have a spell check feature? seriously

Angela Heili 3 years, 6 months ago

I don't know. I've never worked at a newspaper, but I would assume they have editors that are supposed to proofread and check for mistakes. I know it can be done because we readers catch the mistakes all the time. I'm not sure why they can't catch the mistakes. I know most of us don't have an editor's education, whatever that might be. Just know how to spell correctly and recognize when a word has been misspelled! LOL

weather887 3 years, 6 months ago

How do you know that obama rocks?

monheim 3 years, 6 months ago

Why don't you send a private message instead of wasting space with your off-topic, useless comment.

ralphralph 3 years, 6 months ago

Don't question it, just take a day off. If it really wasn't a day off, you'll catch up soon enough.

Sheila Hooper White 3 years, 6 months ago

So is that why they took your post down?? They haven't called it. They just may but I think it's pretty childish to do what you did.

Jamelia20 3 years, 6 months ago

Just for your kids or for everybody?

BruceWayne 3 years, 6 months ago

no official word...if you can prove otherwise please do so. a name? phone number? that's what I thought.

Sheila Hooper White 3 years, 6 months ago

Have you looked up the meaning of idiot? I don't believe I fit that description. Thanks. I think it's foolish to call people names.

obamasocks 3 years, 6 months ago

I for one agree with obamarocks. I mean, think of how dangerous that snow would be if left on the sidewalk? I taught my kids long ago NEVER to walk on snow; its like crushing angel tears with your feet! And don't get me started on how many of our seniors would be wiped out from such an atrosity. OH, THE HUMANITY!

kidscount 3 years, 6 months ago

Obamarocks- I work for the district and school has NOT been cancelled YET! The likelyhood is high but has not been decided!!!

Sheila Hooper White 3 years, 6 months ago

Thank you! My husband works for the district and he hasn't heard anything, yet.

Jamminalive 3 years, 6 months ago

I do not wish to go to school, I do not think it shall be cool, to drive in two steep feet of snow, I do not wish for school you know?

obamasocks 3 years, 6 months ago

Indeed! the ice would not be nice, nor the cold that makes me old The frozen monkey tracks would break my mothers backs

snook3200 3 years, 6 months ago

evenn if lawrence dont have the sense to close school, i have the sense to keep my child out of the weather. if ku closes than lawrence should too. they have no sense as to think it will change by the morning.

epics 3 years, 6 months ago

Shawnee Mission schools are already closed for tomorrow.

sinkorswim 3 years, 6 months ago

Topeka, DeSoto, Eudora, Olathe, Blue Valley, Shawnee Mission, Gardner-Edgerton, Tonganoxie, McClouth, KCK, KCMO, ...pretty much everyone in the area has cancelled for tomorrow...except for Lawrence...and Baldwin.

Sheila Hooper White 3 years, 6 months ago

The secretaries don't make the call. My husband works for the district and hasn't heard anything.

GOB 3 years, 6 months ago

Maybe the "secertary" just told you that so that you wouldn't call again.

Sheila Hooper White 3 years, 6 months ago

Yes, I can still see them. She just commented on my post, saying "I told you so". lol. I was waiting for the official word.

Sheila Hooper White 3 years, 6 months ago

Lol. She just left a comment that she is done. I learned very quickly you can't take everyone so seriously here.

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm telling you, someone is hearing the voice of the Donut Fairy in her head. And you know what happens when people start hearing voices....

mommydaycare 3 years, 6 months ago

come on usd497.......make a decision already!!!!!!!!

monheim 3 years, 6 months ago

They're not going to announce that schools are still open tomorrow. If they don't announce they're closed...then they're open. We just have to wait. If they make the "decision" now that schools will be open, then we get 8 more inches of snow dumped on us...they won't be able to reverse the decision. They will either decide by 10pm tonight or 6am tomorrow. So...if you don't hear anything by 10, put your kids to bed. If the district decides to cancel in the morning, you can check then...but they're not going to flip flop back and forth starting at 6:30pm.

windex 3 years, 6 months ago

P.S. - Secretary Thursday Dunkin' Donuts

PennyBrite 3 years, 6 months ago

does anyone know how much snow we have already gotten? and how much more is expected?

Angela Heili 3 years, 6 months ago

We're in West Lawrence and have about 4+ inches on the ground. According to Gary Lezak this area will get possibly 6-10".

kuslp08 3 years, 6 months ago

All of the schools in the Topeka area are closed tomorrow.

obamarolls 3 years, 6 months ago

the LJW ran a very detailed article about calling off school. Dr. Doll explained what factors he considers. He will call it when he sees fit. As of 6 15 pm this evening he has NOT!

mommydaycare 3 years, 6 months ago

well that is horrible......it is bad out there......lets just call it and be done with it!!!

obamarolls 3 years, 6 months ago

Thursday has been cancelled...the ENTIRE DAY!

Sheila Hooper White 3 years, 6 months ago

Wow. You didn't tell me anything, thank you. I believe ljworld and my husband way before you. I hope you feel good.

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 3 years, 6 months ago

I believe that Obamarolls meant that the day had been cancelled....not the school day.

Sheila Hooper White 3 years, 6 months ago

I know that Obamarolls was talking about the entire day. I wish I could cancel the day and spend it with my kiddos enjoying the snow. But I will still have kids here b/c their parents do still have to work.

Angela Heili 3 years, 6 months ago

Well if they don't cancel school in Lawrence, my kids and I will just be walking. We don't live that far from the school, and I really don't like driving in this stuff because other people aren't the safest drivers in the snow. Who knows, maybe we'll go sledding all the way to school!! The kids will love it! LOL

monheim 3 years, 6 months ago

Look what I found on the district's website! It took a whole 2 seconds of research...it's right on the first page...near the top.

"Inclement Weather Procedures In the event of inclement weather, the Lawrence Public Schools will announce school closures by 10 p.m., if possible, or by 6 a.m., by using its automated notification system and informing area media outlets. If schools remain in session, parents may choose to keep their children at home for safety reasons. Please notify your child's school of this decision."

jimmyjms 3 years, 6 months ago

Um, thanks friend. Your research tells us what we all already knew.

black_butterfly 3 years, 6 months ago

I like Parrysmom's attitude. I am so tired of everyone bellyaching about school not closing. All some of you and your children do is complain about going to school and dream about "snow days" while children from other countries dream about the opportunity to go to school. As long as we can safely get to school, lets go to school......

unklemonkey 3 years, 6 months ago

Mr. Doll, cancellation is seriously in order.

sunny 3 years, 6 months ago

You people are lazy. When your kids grow up they will be the ones that won't be able to keep a job.

obamarolls 3 years, 6 months ago

you are a FOOL! I know 100% for a FACT you were not told before 4 minutes ago.

lmn 3 years, 6 months ago

"You LIE. I am not going to let this crap from you upset me!"

Someone sounds upset.

Sheila Hooper White 3 years, 6 months ago

Seriously....just because I chose not to believe you does not make me an idiot. I have not said one bad thing about you other than I don't believe you and I was waiting for the official word. I will say it again, my husband works for the district, he is there right now, and they had not been told school was cancelled until a few minutes ago.

Angela Heili 3 years, 6 months ago

LadyJ 3 years, 6 months ago

Just cancelled, does anyone deliver donuts?

RoeDapple 3 years, 6 months ago

I hope you give a big tip to the pizza deliveryman. He's risking his life in this weather so you don't have to prepare a meal. Probably for minimum wage.

GSWtotheheart 3 years, 6 months ago

I want donuts now! but I still have to work tomorrow :( when you grow up...you don't get many snow days

Sheila Hooper White 3 years, 6 months ago

All you have done is call people names. You didn't help me. You cost your neighbors money b/c you found it necessary to turn them in b/c they didn't shovel. Seriously. You haven't answered any of my responses you just seem to want to attack. I don't know who is having your comments deleted, I wish they would of left them up. I'm not hurt by you calling me names. Wow....just, wow!!

Angela Heili 3 years, 6 months ago

Reposting: I feel sorry for obamarocks that he/she gets so worked up over so little. It can't be fun to be someone who is so ruled by their emotions. The other thing is the children of obamarocks, if there are any, will quite possibly emulate that behavior and that is never a good thing. Having had a parent myself that exploded at such simple things, it wasn't a great thing to have to grow up with. Fortunately, there are medications and therapies to help people like my mother and obamarocks. Unfortunately, my mother never took advantage of that and now she lives alone as she exploded one too many times and my whole family separated from her. Obamarocks, I certainly hope that you find the courage to get some help. It will definitely make your life and those lives that are around you much better. If you are a child (I can't really tell from the posts), please talk to your parents and ask for help.

LadyJ 3 years, 6 months ago

"That's it! I have had enough of all of you, goodbye for GOOD! Try doing something nice for people and this is the thanks that I get!"

This is all strangely familiar, if I didn't know better.......

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 6 months ago

Sounds a little Irish, doesn't it?

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 6 months ago

Sounds a little Irish, doesn't it?

LadyJ 3 years, 6 months ago

Maybe we should ask gnome what he thinks.

sunny 3 years, 6 months ago

USD 497 is canceled. Donut shop or Pizza?

What a productive fat day your kids are going to have! Pizza and donuts!

Angela Heili 3 years, 6 months ago

My kids and I will be outside sledding, making snowmen, (if the snow packs well enough that is) shoveling snow and then mopping the floors when they get all wet from the snow tracked in. No fat day here!! They might gain a few calories from making snow ice cream though. LOL

GSWtotheheart 3 years, 6 months ago

hey....get a sense of humor...I think yours got shot off or something...not very sunny are ya???

palin_rocks 3 years, 6 months ago

I can see Dunkin Donuts from my front yard

sunny 3 years, 6 months ago

I am surprised LJWorld is letting Obamarocks/obamasucks/palinrocks play like ths...

Rae Smith Evans 3 years, 6 months ago

movies, games, soup, coffee (hot cocoa for the kids), blankets.....my agenda for tomorrow! My husband even has the day off (love vaca days already scheduled)! Now for a service announcement...please remember your letter carriers tomorrow. Clear walks, stairs and the area around your mail boxes and put down salt and/or sand as necessary so they can safely deliver your mail.

CreatureComforts 3 years, 6 months ago

I wouldn't want them to have to suspend my daily junk mail delivery tomorrow...that would just be a shame. Can't even remember the last time a mailman delivered anything worthwhile to my house.

Rae Smith Evans 3 years, 6 months ago

you can get off of the mailing lists if you don't like all the junk mail. Here's how... http://www.ehow.com/how_2054891_get-off-junkmail-lists.html

Heather Perry 3 years, 6 months ago

how about play in the snow with the children make snow angels and snowman and build forts and have a snowball fight woo hoo sounds dandy to me I'm glad for the snow day hopefully they dont hafta miss friday 2 but if so yeah more fun playing with my kid :) and after we can have nice cup of hot cocoa and read some stories together :)

Angela Heili 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm right there with you heatherlee. My kids and I were sledding and having a great time in the snow this evening. We plan to do it again tomorrow! Good for you that you play with your kids outside. I love it when parents get out and enjoy being a kid with their kids!

JackMcKee 3 years, 6 months ago

Wow, when I was a kid we had to get at least a foot of snow before school was cancelled. The good ole USA has gotten soft.

Caesar_Augustus 3 years, 6 months ago

Are you daft heatherlee? The schools are closed because its cold outside and the weather is a hazard to the children. Stay inside under a few blankets and put sheets over the windows to keep the cold out.

Heather Perry 3 years, 6 months ago

whatever thats what the snow is for :) playtime we came in and had hot cocoa and dressed warmly in layers no hazard to a good ole sunny snow day

sunny 3 years, 6 months ago

And for gods sake, don't let kids go outside, and don't get your laziness out of bed and go to work!

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 6 months ago

I believe the senior center pre-distributes meals which have shelf-life exactly for such unfortunate occasions.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 6 months ago

Snow used to be so much more fun. Good luck kiddies and young parents. Have fun, dry gloves, dry socks, eat Spaghetti O;s, sleep late, watch something dumb on T.V. find something odd to sled down a hill.

brewmaster 3 years, 6 months ago

What?! Are you kidding me?! There will not be a Red Dog Days morning workout!! How could 8 inches of snow and subfreezing temps stop a Red Dog Days workout?

It's not going to stop me. All you commuters stay the @*&% out of my way tomorrow morning because I'll be running in the middle of the streets with my cellphone calling in complaints for all the sidewalks that are not cleared.

mr_right_wing 3 years, 6 months ago

We're just getting what we diserve; global warming cases severe winter storms. In the 70s we were told to prepare for another ice age, now global temperatures are rising. Turns out they were both right.

I think we're past the point of Al Gore being able to save us...

Might as well live it up with the time we've still got left...extra carbon footprints for all!

Kelly Johnson 3 years, 6 months ago

It's totally weird, because in the 70s we had severe winter storms, too. I think even in like the 1870s they had severe winter storms. I wonder who predicted those?

sunny 3 years, 6 months ago

Al Gore is in prison right?

mr_right_wing 3 years, 6 months ago

That's not funny man!!! Uncool!!

Al's marriage even broke up, all in the noble...nay...Saintly name of saving our environment. What a selfless man...choosing the environment over Tipper.

The pope has been notified, right? St. Al, or St. Albert? "Patron Saint of carbon footprints"

Randall Barnes 3 years, 6 months ago

west bound k-10 is shut down at noria rd. injury accident.

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 6 months ago

& the accident involved prisoners and cops. LJW should get on top of this one.

wmathews 3 years, 6 months ago

This involved an LPD officer and a prisoner near the Douglas County Jail. Minor injuries. We're waiting on a call back to get more information.

Whitney Mathews Assistant Community Editor for Online

Moderateguy 3 years, 6 months ago

Channel 6 has been listing Children's Learning Center on their crawler since about 8 o'clock last night but still nothing on either this website or 6newslawrence.com. What gives guys? Can't you guys talk to each other?

d_prowess 3 years, 6 months ago

I am pretty sure Channel 6 and the LJW are 100% separate now that some other company bought the TV station, cable service, and internet service a while back. They don't even share a building anymore from what I hear.

Ami 3 years, 6 months ago

HILLTOP is closed as well

nobody1793 3 years, 6 months ago

Nah, hardcore would be re-opening the outdoor aquatic center!

Wendy magillicutty 3 years, 6 months ago

ha! word ... I wanted to ice skate last year in that park but alas...I dont own ice skates.

ranger73 3 years, 6 months ago

Lawrence Polar Bear Club! Can't send the kiddies to school cuz there's too much snow and it's too cold, but we can sure as heck jump in the water when it's 10 degrees because it's "invigorating and refreshing!" HAHAHAHAHA
Someone get another log for the fire cuz it's COLD outside!

parrothead8 3 years, 6 months ago

"Gov. Sam Brownback announced Wednesday state offices in Topeka and Shawnee County will delay work start time for non-essential employees until 10 a.m. Thursday"

Sooo...only the janitors, secretaries, and interns have to show up on time, right?

RoeDapple 3 years, 6 months ago

What happened to obamarocks?? he/sh/it was almost as good as sank4ever!

Sheila Hooper White 3 years, 6 months ago

Out turning people in b/c they didn't shovel. Hehe.....I'll be nice even though the person didn't answer any of my posts.

LadyJ 3 years, 6 months ago

Might have slipped on the ice on one of those shoveled sidewalks.

LadyJ 3 years, 6 months ago

Think anyone will start a campaign to allow her back?

Sheila Hooper White 3 years, 6 months ago

They always find a way back. Just have to learn how to take everyone here. When I first started posting I was very defensive and knew everything. Now I've learned to go with flow. Don't let people make you mad. There will be many more to come:) Everyone has there own opinion.

justforfun 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm sure gonna miss Obamarocks!! HAHAHA yea whatever.

riverdrifter 3 years, 6 months ago

The vultures. I knew they wuz circling tighter & closer...

irvan moore 3 years, 6 months ago

is flanders going to close the library again? the city had people out hand shoveling snow but the library employees couldn't go to work?