Archive for Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Dozens of Lawrence property owners have already received tickets for not shoveling sidewalks

January 19, 2011

How to report it

To report an unshoveled sidewalk, call 832-7700 or report it online at http://www.lawrenceks.org/pds/code_violation.

A total of 71 Lawrence property owners thus far have learned the hard way that the city is serious about having public sidewalks cleared of snow.

Brian Jimenez, the city’s code enforcement manager, confirmed Wednesday that his office had issued 71 tickets to property owners who had failed to have their sidewalk cleared within 48 hours following last week’s snowstorm. The city has received 163 complaints, and staff members are continuing to inspect properties.

“The warmup on Monday took care of a lot of the complaints, but we’re still obligated to take a look,” Jimenez said of his staff of three inspectors. “You never know if a property will thaw and then refreeze. Unfortunately, that is what has been happening quite a bit. That is why it is so important to get the snow off early.”

Jimenez said he thinks Lawrence residents are starting to understand the importance of complying with the code. Last year the city issued more than 200 tickets and had more than 700 complaints throughout the winter.

“When we got this snowstorm, I was saying anything under 200 complaints would be surprising,” Jimenez said.

Jimenez said he believes he’s seen more shoveled sidewalks this year than he has in the past. But he said it would be unrealistic for complaint numbers to ever dwindle to just a few.

“I don’t know that anything is ever going to translate into a lot fewer complaints because there are just miles and miles of sidewalks in town,” Jimenez said.

Jimenez is guessing that many people who received tickets last year complied with the ordinance this year. But he said there are a lot of out-of-town property owners who may not be fully aware of the ordinance.

It is likely that several of them soon will get a lesson on the ordinance in their mailboxes. The $20 ticket — plus court costs — go to the property owner, not the tenant.

Comments

prospector 3 years, 11 months ago

Comrades, prepare again to toil for the Motherland.

Central Committee

kansasredlegs 3 years, 11 months ago

Strategy to keep the city from plowing your driveway shut again after you've cleaned it. If not on an Emergency Snow Route, clean your driveway, push all the City-owned snow in its Right of Way to the edge of, not into, the street, then when your driveway is basking in the sunlight, park your most derelict car (the one with liability only insurance) on the street at the edge of your now clean driveway, then when City -owned plow comes by to push its snow back into its right of way and onto your driveway, the plow will have to go around your car (if it hits it, self-insured city policy pays for damage) thus no old, new snow in your drive.

Works like a charm.

Kent Fisher 3 years, 11 months ago

I can understand isolated situations where a private homeowner is unable to shovel their sidewalks, however, there is no excuse for commercial or municipal property to not comply. I even saw city owned property that wasn't cleared.

If the city snow plow crews block a sidewalk, are they responsible for removing the blockage?

kernal 3 years, 11 months ago

Especially at frequently used intersections? I saw a couple of people trying to cross at the 9th and Iowa Crosswalk yesterday. One gave up and had to walk in the middle of the south lane of 9th St. and the other tried climbing over a three foot mound of ice and almost did a nose dive onto Iowa St.

yankeevet 3 years, 11 months ago

The church at 31st and Lawrence; their sidewalk is packed full of snow;........whats up with that?

kansasredlegs 3 years, 11 months ago

The keyword in the article is: "Public" sidewalks. Sidewalks do not belong to the homeowner as they lay within the City's right of way which is not an easement. As a result, the City 'owns' the sidewalks and wants its citizens, i.e., slaves, to clear its sidewalks without compensation.

btw: I'll clear my sidewalk within 48 hours when the City clears the streets within 48 hours. Deal?

Bob Forer 3 years, 11 months ago

I was at McDonald's a few days ago and overhead a conversation among three people who appeared to be in their early twenties laughing about how they were going around to all the "bourgeois" neighborhoods and compiling a list of addresses that were in violation of the snow shoveling ordinance to turn into the city. One described it as a way of "playing Robin Hood against the unfair and regressive sales tax which hurts poor folks."

Kat Christian 3 years, 11 months ago

That is so stupid and immature. What is the point of tattling on people who don't shovel their sidewalks? There are people who are paid to enforce that law and if they aren't doing their job and miss a few houses then oh well the city is out of $$, Sounds like a management problem to me, not mine. If a person goes out and shovels their sidewalk (for whatever reason compels them) then so be it, doesn't mean they have to be tattle-tails on something like a snowy sidewalk - get real and Grow up. One thing I can't stand are adults who whine and behave like elementary children. Nanny, nanny boo-boo that's not fair I'm telling.

GUMnNUTS 3 years, 11 months ago

Don't be a Doug and Wendy Whiner, just go outside for twenty minutes and shovel.

jhawkfan05 3 years, 11 months ago

Let me quote from this article: A total of 71 Lawrence property owners thus far have learned the hard way that the city is serious about having public sidewalks cleared of snow THE KEY WORD HERE IS PUBLIC This should be up to the city to clear these sidewalks not the homeowners as those were put there by the city not the homeowner. So looks like the city should get some people on board to do the sidewalk cleaning..I am sorry there are alot of elderly people in this city that can not get out on clean the sidewalks...and if they cant then the city is going to give these poor people a ticket...Come on get real it is the CITY's job to clean their own SIDEWALKS not the homeowners..!!!!

George_Braziller 3 years, 11 months ago

Property owners are legally responsible for maintaining and clearing sidewalks but they don't actually "own" them. It's part of the city easement.

kansasredlegs 3 years, 11 months ago

Sorry George but 'easement' and right of way (ROW) are not one and the same. Here the its the City's ROW, therefore it has fee simple ownership, not just a grant for access for public purposes.

Legally responsible yes, but still doesn't change the fact that the City owns its ROW. Ask the City Engineer why it is the City can get you to shovel its easements and he'll just give you a blank stare because he knows that the City OWNS it and the residents, 'er slaves, have to shovel it without compensation.

Judgesmails 3 years, 11 months ago

"The city has received 163 complaints"...................from losers who have nothing better to do than call the cops about snow on sidewalks.

gimme a break

pace 3 years, 11 months ago

humorous that you use "gimme a break" that is what iced sidewalks offer. Nothing funnier than breaking someone else's bones . Hey maybe it would be funnier if it was two six year olds going to school. lol

Judgesmails 3 years, 11 months ago

...youre probably one of the crybabies that calls the city.

pace 3 years, 11 months ago

No I am one of the old fat people out there shoveling my walk so my beloved pedestrians can walk a little safer. I don't care if you whine about it , well I do a little, boring, but the level of resentment over clearing a sidewalk wins the cry baby contest

Flap Doodle 3 years, 11 months ago

Smile when you pay your new snow tax, citizens.

Resident10 3 years, 11 months ago

So I work in Topeka and my shifts start at 6am and end after 9pm. (Don't worry about me...its only until Saturday) That shovel scraping the concrete is sure lound no matter how hard I try to keep it quiet. Can I have a number to fwd angry calls from my neighbors on to the city's compliance people? Or will they be in bed at that time too?

parrothead8 3 years, 11 months ago

If you're a good neighbor, maybe one of your neighbors will help you out. That's how it works on my street.

Resident10 3 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for the offer! What time can you start shoveling?

parrothead8 3 years, 11 months ago

Sorry, I've got my own house and the elderly woman's next to me. You'll have to find someone a little closer to you to help out.

july241983 3 years, 11 months ago

I read an old case recently where the Kansas Supreme Court said that cities could be sued for not clearing ice/snow from sidewalks (when persons are injured). The court said that the cities could pass laws that required residents to clear the snow/ice from the sidewalks on their property to absolve the city of liability for those areas. So, the ordinance may be less about legislating responsibility and more about the city not wanting to get sued for slip and falls.

lilygrace 3 years, 11 months ago

If the city is worried about "not wanting to get sued for slip and falls." then why are most of the sidewalks at major intersections, which is the responsibility of the city, impassable by a pedestrian? The city needs to shovel something all right and it isn't snow!

nlf78 3 years, 11 months ago

So if you are a homeowner who is out of town during the snow, you will still get ticketed? That's awful, people leave on vacations and come back to complaints and tickets. All because they were not in Lawrence within 48 hours of the snow...

goodnessgracious 3 years, 11 months ago

I'm thinking, that if you are a "snow bird" and head south for the winter, you should be able to pay someone in advance, to come and shovel your sidewalks while you're gone, if it snows. Leaving town doesnt releave you of your property duties. Keeping sidewalks shoveled may pay for itself, as it may ward off theives who see no activity around the house and grounds as an open invitation to rob the place.

nlf78 3 years, 11 months ago

I was just thinking about people on vacation. What about people who are just gone for 2 weeks on a cruise or family vacation. They come back and they have a ticket? They were on vacation, not going south for the winter. They have no control over the weather when they are not at home. So it would really suck for them to come home to a ticket. The people who do go south for the winter, yes, pay someone to keep it up. But the people on vacation, that's just unfair.

pace 3 years, 11 months ago

I hire someone to take care of my responsibilities when I am out of town, in summer, the lawn, in winter the sidewalk. Not bad idea to have someone you trust to keep their eyes on your property.

Beth Ennis 3 years, 11 months ago

if you travel in the winter, you need to work out in advance someone to clear your sidewalks while you are gone. Last year our neighbors were on a vacation when it snowed so we shoveled for them. The following snow storm we were on vacation and they shoveled for us. It's just not that difficult to work something out with someone. It's called being responsible. It's part of home ownership just like having to mow your yard, and yep, there's a lot of folks that refuse to do that also, especially the student rentals. If you don't want to shovel or mow the grass, go live in an apt or a condo. Renters shouldn't rent houses if they don't want to do the work.

pooter 3 years, 11 months ago

Get a ticket, challenge the law.

You can start with the fact that the law is blatantly unconstitutional, by violating the 13th amendment, and it also vioates U.S. Code law.

Amendment XIII

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

18 U.S.C. § 1581. Peonage

Section 1581 prohibits using force, the threat of force, or the threat of legal coercion to compel a person to work against his/her will.

This law also violates The Trafficking Victims Protection Act (TVPA) of 2000.

So City of Lawrence, shovel your own sidewalks.

yankeevet 3 years, 11 months ago

So if a person slides and slips on a frozen sidewalk; who do they sue; the homeowner or the city?

Chad Lawhorn 3 years, 11 months ago

The city ordinance covers ice as well. It requires removal of ice within 48 hours after the end of a snow or ice event. If you are unable to remove the ice, you can sprinkle sand over the ice and be in compliance with the law.

The ordinance can be found here: http://bit.ly/iaWbfo

Chad Lawhorn Journal World.

Chelsea Kapfer 3 years, 11 months ago

You don't sue anyone. your insurance will pay for it. and be careful while walking.

25 3 years, 11 months ago

Interesting that you would find the time and take the effort to haul water to the sidewalk and then invest the time distributing the water on the very walk that passes by your residence, but you can't seem to shovel it.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 11 months ago

There is nothing in the ordinance about who should shovel your walks. But if you choose not to either do it yourself, or have someone else do it, you will get fined, and that doesn't violate the above amendment.

pooter 3 years, 11 months ago

Wrong.

(a) It shall be unlawful for the property owner of record or the occupant of property immediately adjacent to a public sidewalk on public right-of-way to fail to remove from the sidewalk, within forty-eight (48) hours of the cessation of accumulation of snow or ice on the sidewalk, any snow or ice which accumulates accumulated on such sidewalk or obstructs obstructing such sidewalk.

If they can demand a private individual to shovel public walks under threat of fines then demanding them to mow public parks would also not out be of the question, and if so it raises many others.

1. If you can be ordered to clear the public sidewalk of snow and ice:

2. Why can you not be ordered to repair the sidewalk?

3. Why can you not be ordered to clear or to repair the street adjacent to your property?

4. What are the legal issues involved if you hire some one else to perform that task?

Must you determine their citizenship?

If they are not US Citizens are you subject to prosecution?

What are our responsibilities if those hired are minors or if they are injured while clearing snow?

1. Who is paying for the shovelling, or the sand, salt and/or snow melt required in the ordinance?

Placing an unfair burden of labor with costs from public property onto a private individual unfortunate enough to own property adjacent to it under threat of fines amounts to slavery and most definitely violates the 13th Amendment and U.S Code law.

The most the city should have done is pass a resolution requesting snow removal, but to demand it?

If you get a ticket, take it to court.

Eride 3 years, 11 months ago

I rarely see such a convoluted and asinine understanding of the legal system... BRAVO.

This ordinance, in your words, is * blatantly* not unconstitutional. The argument that it exemplifies a form of slavery is so utterly irrational that besides calling you a troll and rolling my eyes I have little else to say about it.

As I side comment, I am going to guess you don't actually own property... but regardless you should probably look up what an easement is.

This ordinance is no different then ordinances requiring you to mow your lawn or keeping trees/bushes trimmed. The property owner has duties that they must meet. This ordinance is just one example of hundreds.

You sir, are crazy.

Eride 3 years, 11 months ago

Yes, Pooter is dead-on... obviously...

Amy Bartle 3 years, 11 months ago

Does anyone know the ballpark cost for someone to clear your driveway?

homechanger 3 years, 11 months ago

we charge 25.00 for average driveway. usually gets the sidewalk also.

George Lippencott 3 years, 11 months ago

Wonder if our ordinance catches landlords who may feel that the cost of the fine is less than the cost of paying somebody to do the work. Bet they even write it off as a cost of doing business.

Vinny1 3 years, 11 months ago

Some of you are a bunch of freaking pansies. Go outside and shovel a little bit. Its good for you and its easy. No wonder the US has so many overweight, lazy complete waste of space people.

compmd 3 years, 11 months ago

id like to see you look a paraplegic in the eye and say that. especially a vet.

gccs14r 3 years, 11 months ago

I wish I had a sidewalk to shovel. I want a brick sidewalk, though, and the City says I can't use brick in my neighborhood.

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

No time for shoveling snow! I'm makin' a donut run!!

ralphralph 3 years, 11 months ago

We have three neighbors who can't shovel their own walks, so we do it for them. Once you are "geared-up" with shovels-n-hats-n-gloves-n-boots-n-etc, it's not that much more trouble to keep going on down the sidewalk. One of the neighbors has never acknowledged that we shovel their walk, one kind of keeps an eye on our house when we're gone (a lot) and calls us if we leave the car lights on or something (yes, we have cars that old, not auto-off), and one slips our dog treats and sends him home when he runs off (a lot).

If you have a house, it's your job to shovel the sidewalk. If you can't do it, you have to hire somebody else. It's not much different than, say, trimming a big tree --- you can't let a tree limb fall on your neighbor or the street, so if you don't have your own bucket truck and chainsaw, you have to hire somebody else to do it. It's not that complicated.

SnakeFist 3 years, 11 months ago

It is different: If I don't want the recurring expense of trimming a tree or mowing grass, I can simply cut the tree down or replace the grass with a low maintenance "hardscape" - the city doesn't insist I keep and maintain the tree or the grass for the public's benefit. But I'm not allowed to remove the sidewalk - the city does insist I keep and maintain it for the public's benefit.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 11 months ago

So, your point is that sidewalks are different from trees and grass? Or am I missing something?

creamygnome 3 years, 11 months ago

I agree that homeowners should shovel their sidewalks but I often see city sidewalks not cleared. I feel I shouldn't have to clear mine until those are clear. Unless it's not the city's job to clear in front of the court house? Or, I shouldn't have to clear my sidewalk until the road in front of my house is cleared. Which, is usually when it finally melts.

sleepy33 3 years, 11 months ago

"Unless it's not the city's job to clear in front of the court house? "

Depends. Douglas County courthouse? Nope.

Clark Coan 3 years, 11 months ago

The City needs to be proactive and send inspectors downtown 48 hours after the snow ends. Too many business owners do not clear the sidewalks in front of their stores.

irvan moore 3 years, 11 months ago

i keep the walks and drive shoveled, don't mind but think having neighbor rat out neighbor is mean spirited. i also wonder how many of those complaining about others not clearing their walks have walks they have to clear.

Beth Ennis 3 years, 11 months ago

have you ever had to walk anywhere in this city after a snow storm? I do, and it is so dangerous when someone hasn't shoveled and it turns to ice after it gets walked on constantly. Don't jump to conclusions that everyone is ratting someone out just to do it. If you are a walker, it's a safety issue. The entire thing is a safety issue. Get over it.

sleepy33 3 years, 11 months ago

I complained about my neighbor, and I signed my name and gave my phone number and email address, too. I complained because their walk was still not shoveled this past Monday, SEVEN DAYS after the snow fell. These same neighbors don't mow their grass in the summer, and have giant fallen tree branches in their yard from a storm last August that they never picked up. They are both young, healthy and able bodied (in fact, the guy works construction) and perfectly capable of shoveling. They just don't, cause they're @**holes. Same reason they don't take care of their yard in good weather. F them.

PS- I've already done a preliminary shovel of my walk and stoop, and will go out tomorrow after it quits to clear it again. Lest you think I am a complainer but not a shoveler of my own walk.

Beth Ennis 3 years, 11 months ago

I agree completely with you. All of the students in the "slums" are capable of shoveling, and most of them don't. I will say that when I walked to and from church on Sunday I saw more sidewalks shoveled than ever before. It was nice, but there was still 4 or 5 that didn't bother and it makes it hard to walk, and dangerous. Why do people live in a house if they don't want to do yard work and shovel. Go live in an apt for goodness sake.

CloveK 3 years, 11 months ago

Well we know where at least a handful of those complaints came from....

Sidewalks should be shoveled though. I would be less irritated with this ordinance if the city did a better job of getting the roads cleared. They should offer a side walk clearing service to people who can't get it done in time. They still get some money and people have a chance to do the right thing.

pace 3 years, 11 months ago

Shouldn't we just send you $50. cash in the mail and trust you will show up?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 11 months ago

Come on by, Tom. But I'll need a note from your cardiologist first.

(BTW, did I mention that it's two corner lots plus three standard 40-footers-- a bit more than the length of a football field?)

sherbert 3 years, 11 months ago

They should publish the addresses that were fined so we can see if they're playing fair. I can't see fining a low income person $25 when that's probably their food or gas money. What if it snows overnight and they have to work first thing in the morning. Then it's dark and cold when they get home. Can't always get to it right away and can't always afford to pay someone else to do it. The snow will melt in a couple days anyway. I think it should be equal across town if they do fine, but I bet it's not.

Michael Rowland 3 years, 11 months ago

Why is it so friggin hard for people to work for the good of others? Have you tried walking several miles in unshoveled, snowy sidewalks? It SUCKS. I've seen properties that shoveled the walkway from the sidewalk to their door, but not the sidewalk.

Hey, high schoolers, here's a business idea for you. Offer to shovel people's sidewalks for $15. That way they save $5.

Michael Rowland 3 years, 11 months ago

Wow, nice reply, calming me soft because I hate how my walks get that much harder when I have to plow through snow. Here's the thing, let's say we have a snowstorm and the snow stays around for 5 days. You only have to shovel the sidewalk once, but others may need to walk on the sidewalk a couple times each day. Now who looks like the soft one? The person who has to pass over said section of sidewalk 10 times while the snow's on the ground or the one that can't take some time to go out once and shovel?

Beth Ennis 3 years, 11 months ago

you have it backwards none. If you don't want to shovel, move to Sun City, AZ or Florida or Texas. Shoveling sidewalks is part of living in a house, whether you rent or own. If you don't want to do it, go live in an apt or a condo or move to warmer climate.

pz5g1 3 years, 11 months ago

No sympathy here for the beer-swilling college students who can't get off their duff and shovel their walk.

irvan moore 3 years, 11 months ago

a part of the problem is that the lazy student doesn't get the ticket, the property owner does.

candaceflynn 3 years, 11 months ago

After the last snow, my retired neighbor was out and shoveled his driveway, the elderly man across the street's driveway and sidewalk and then saw me out shoveling and offered his assistance clearing my large driveway. What a great neighbor.

gccs14r 3 years, 11 months ago

It's common decency to shovel the walk. Since too many folks aren't decent, the City has to coerce them with negative reinforcement to get them to do the right thing. As for why the City doesn't shovel the walks, it's too expensive to hire enough crews to clear every mile of sidewalk in a reasonable amount of time. The tax bill for that service would be enormous and then you people would be complaining about that. Get out and shovel, and shovel the neighbors if they can't do it.

I used to live on 11th and would shovel about 190' of sidewalk because the neighbors on either side wouldn't do it. Not doing it made life very difficult for all the pedestrians who routinely use that sidewalk to get to downtown.

gccs14r 3 years, 11 months ago

Oh, and just because the sun has gone down doesn't mean it's too dark to shovel a walk. You don't need that much light to see a shovel, and with a snowy landscape, there's enough reflected light to see what you're doing, anyway.

black_butterfly 3 years, 11 months ago

I agree with Vinny. Stop complaining and just get out there and shovel your sidewalks. I AM overweight and me and my children got out there and shoveled the sidewalk!!! LOL It was actually fun. Put on your gloves, hat, scarf and coat and SHOVEL YOUR SIDEWALK!! I am not a home owner. I lease my house so technically my landlady should send someone to shovel my sidewalks, but it just isn't that big of a deal. JUST DO IT!!!

independant1 3 years, 11 months ago

Sure glad I don't have a sidewalk. The driveway, drive over the snow to pack it down spread a little sand on top for traction and let the sun do the rest. The sand absorbs the rays and melts the snow. when the melt refreezes there's enough sand in the ice to give adequate traction. One can always throw a little kitty litter down too, the right kitty litter is some of the best instant traction I've ever found.

That leaves plenty of time to go get donuts.

Thanks for the tip Roe!

Beth Ennis 3 years, 11 months ago

undeveloped land is in between developed land I'm sure. They only ticket when a complaint has been filed. I'm sure the sidewalks are there because people use them. Again, if you own property, just hire someone to do it if you don't want to or can't do it. It is great exercise. Most people who you can hire are doing it with equipment so it doesn't take them long to do it, hence, shouldn't cost too much.

poorteacher 3 years, 11 months ago

Well I do not mind helping with shoveling however it pisses me off that there is an ordinance in this town that fines people who do not clear the sidewalks when the city can't even put sidewalks on every street. Is this town so damn broke they can't afford sidewalks except on the west side of town. Heck you can't even walk all the way down Kasold without having to cross the highly traveled 4 lane street because the sidewalks end. Lawrence acts so big but they cannot even afford sidewalks!!!! YIKES!

LadyJ 3 years, 11 months ago

Bright side, even if it stopped snowing now, the 48 hrs would be after 5 on Friday so people can't turn others until Monday morning. Although the longer you wait, the harder it is to shovel. Also it is easier if nobody has walked on it so could my everyone wait till after about 2 pm tomorrow please before walking on my sidewalk, please?

Ladybug2 3 years, 11 months ago

My 70 year old husband and I get out and clear our very long sidewalk but the rest of the sidewalk is on city property and has never been cleared this year or last. It's a bit frustrating that they threaten us with a fine but don't do their own walks. Then once we do get our sidewalk clear the city trucks throw snow and ice back on them covering them up.

Frightwig 3 years, 11 months ago

Check this out. There are many people willing to shovel your walk. Some as cheap as $10. Do the right thing and create a safe passageway for your pedestrian neighbors. http://lawrence.craigslist.org/lbs/

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 11 months ago

THANKS! for pointing me to where I should have already gone. This provides great peace of mind.

Maybe LJW or City of Lawrence should consider hosting a method of connecting homeowners to these individuals wanting to provide services.

Kylee Manahan 3 years, 11 months ago

So can I give the city a ticket for shoveling the snow on the sidewalk on Iowa between Terrace Road and 15th street? I walked to the BB game Saturday and nearly broke my neck. The church on the corner had shoveled their part, but not the city. Hello?????????????

gccs14r 3 years, 11 months ago

Just got back in from shoveling again. Did it right after work before it got too deep, now this pass, then I'll make another one sometime tomorrow. Now that the snow is tapering off, I did my side of the street, too, so there's not as much snow for the plow to push up in front of my driveway.

Randall Barnes 3 years, 11 months ago

when my sidewalk is a sheet of ice i toss some loose snow on it so people walking will have some sort of traction. what do you want ice or snow ?

txksmom 3 years, 11 months ago

I just wish owners like Mike Garber of Garber Enterprises gave a hoot about the people that rent his properties. 7 inches of snow and our street has not been cleared once. Cars littered the street last night because they were unable to make it into their driveways. The office doesn't care about us. I don't know what to do but to vent here. Thank you.

lilygrace 3 years, 11 months ago

My daughter and granddaughter walked over to the Lawrence Aquatic Center the other day and the CITY OF LAWRENCE had not cleaned the intersection sidewalks from the last snow so they had to detour into the street just to get to a sidewalk that was clear. The CITY OF LAWRENCE doesn't even meet the requirements of their own ordinance. I guess the CITY OF LAWRENCE is too busy shoveling other things at city hall to tend to the public use sidewalks owned by them.

naturenut 3 years, 11 months ago

It is just another desperate way for the city to attempt to make money on property owners, when often the city itself has not cleared snow off of the roads in that same 48 hour window.

pfunk81 3 years, 11 months ago

I'm not suprised at the amount of jerks here who obviously have never tried to walk anywhere after 7 inches of snow fall on the ground. Of course going outside to shovel snow takes away their time to complain on LJW, since most of you don't have jobs anyway go out and earn a couple of bucks for once.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 11 months ago

This is for all of us who take the stinging lazy comments now going on two years.

I'd give everything I have to be able to shovel snow again. Which would mean I could ski, job, bike and all the other things I loved as a youth.

Some of us can not shovel a driveway because of physical reasons. Most of us are not sitting around and have busy schedules. Ever try scheduling a driveway plowing. Makes the cable guy look punctual.

sleepy33 3 years, 11 months ago

We don't give a crap about your driveway; just your sidewalks. If you are unable to shovel them yourself, the city of Lawrence has a volunteer program to match willing folks who can shovel with people like yourself who can't. Give them a call!

Any other problems I can solve for you?

kernal 3 years, 11 months ago

Uhm, Sleepy, I think wissmo's last sentence indicates he's already on it.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 11 months ago

Yes sleepy33 you can walk in in other person shoes for a mile. By the way sleepy, in my younger days I did give a "crap" about others driveways and without pay cleared many more than I can remember. Recently I've paid bills to clear driveways for others. People used to know neighbors and just chipped in to help.

Never ever would I tell them to give somebody a call. I might assume and call for them. Especially the elderly on fixed incomes. This law causes much anxiety for those who can't.

In other parts of the country, driveway includes sidewalks. Kernal was correct, I do not have problems keeping the drive clean as they say in other parts of the country.

sleepy33 3 years, 11 months ago

Well, if it's a vernacular issue, then bygones; but 'scheduling a driveway plowing' sounds to me like you have a significantly long driveway, and you have to hire someone with a snow plow to clear it. To me, 'scheduling a driveway plowing' and 'scheduling/hiring someone to shovel my sidewalk' are two entirely different things. Sorry if I misunderstood!

gccs14r 3 years, 11 months ago

I've felt compelled to shovel the walks in front of every apartment I've ever lived in because the apartment management either wouldn't do it or waited so long to do it that everything became icy.

Meatwad 3 years, 11 months ago

Trying to walk on an unshoveled sidewalk is horrible, slows you down immensely and is dangerous. I have even taken a bad fall during a snowstorm. I would shovel my sidewalk whether or not there was a law because that's the kind of person I am. I care about other people and their safety. If one of my neighbors was unable to shovel theirs, I would do it, or help them find someone to do it. People who complain about this law either totally selfish, or just unresourceful. My sidewalk is shoveled and so are my neighbors and I'm proud of it.

Meatwad 3 years, 11 months ago

I think the fact that we had to make a law, shows what is wrong with our society and proves that people won't behave in a way that is kind to their fellow man, unless they have to. Very sad.

ForThePeople 3 years, 11 months ago

I agree. It amazes me how riled up folks get about this issue. For crying out loud it takes 20 minutes at the most to shovel a normal sized sidewalk. I almost always dread the chore, but once I'm out there doing it, I actually end up finding myself enjoying it to some degree.

25 3 years, 11 months ago

Wonderful that the city takes over two days to plow the streets, but they expect sidewalks to be shoveled. My sidewalks are done. Maybe I can drive somewhere on Saturday, when the city gets their job done.

Kontum1972 3 years, 11 months ago

i shovel the walk and my drive-way and your plow came by and covered what i clean edback up

you owe me 1,000.00..my fine is included with my labor cost

irvan moore 3 years, 11 months ago

it's freaking snow, not nuclear waste, i clear mine because i hate looking at it and its being a courteous neighbor. i think they need to have a snow route law and get the cars off Tennessee and Kentucky when it snows so the streets can be plowed, seems like a lot more of a safety issue with cars than pedestrians. i went to the library (after clearing mine and a few other walks) and it was closed because of the weather. hey flanders, it's a few inches of snow, suck it up and go to work.

ohmylawrence 3 years, 11 months ago

My father laughs at this so called ordinance. He wanted the sity to fix the sidewalk or let him remove it because its an eyesore. The city told him it was not his sidewalk but theirs and that he was not allowed to do anything with it. Well if hes not allowed to do anything with it than hes not cleaning the snow off of it. If its the citys property then let them clean it!

classclown 3 years, 11 months ago

I am announcing that my sidewalk has been treated with sand. People walking and jogging on the sidewalk will cause the sand to mix with the snow breaking it up so that their footwear will be able to sink through in order to gain a foothold on the concrete.

Currently the plans for shoveling are being done on a priority basis in order to facilitate for commerce. Namely my driveway will be shoveled first so I can be able to drive to my job. I expect to have the sidewalk shoveled by 7:59 am Saturday morning.

Everyone is being urged to avoid walking or jogging, but if it's absolutely necessary,then to walk/run with extreme caution. In fact, running should be avoided. If you must travel along my sidewalk, allow yourself plenty of extra time to get where you're going.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 11 months ago

So classclown we can go ahead with our walk-by, no running, comfortably planning at say 8:O3?

poppet 3 years, 11 months ago

i agree wholeheartely w/meatwad...and yes, sad but true :(

fancy80 3 years, 11 months ago

well, my son spent a good couple of hours shoveling the sidewalk today, only to have the city crews cover it up with snow from the streets. I hate to make him do it again. I know the city says if you shovel it and they cover it up, you won't get ticketed, but where are the people and dogs supposed to walk? Oh the horror!!! And some well-meaning person will probably turn us in...just like they do when the dog barks. City living...gotta love it.

Kat Christian 3 years, 11 months ago

Well don't have to worry about shoveling sidewalks on my street cause we don't have any and they NEVER plow our street, which is find with me that way I don't have to shovel out the snow that blocks my driveway after they plow.

Chelsea Kapfer 3 years, 11 months ago

This is copied from my facebook status from earlier today;

my favorite part of shoveling the driveway are those uneven pavement lines that you can't see...and skid into dislocating most of your hip bone which is connected to the swear out loud bone which is connected to the wine bone...which is connected to the I give up bone.....

I got it 4/5 done, but gave up after practically impaling myself with the showshovel handle. Can't wait for more snow tomorrow and Sunday! Yay!

independant1 3 years, 11 months ago

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil... paine