Archive for Wednesday, January 19, 2011

KU’s Lawrence campus among weather-related cancellations for Wednesday, Jan. 19

January 19, 2011, 11:06 a.m. Updated January 19, 2011, 5:57 p.m.

Send us your photos!

Do you have a snow photo to share? You can submit it via the website or email it to editor@ljworld.com.

We'll add your photos to our online gallery and Facebook page, so you can share them with your friends!

Here is a list of closings and cancellations for Wednesday, Jan. 19, 2011:

Schools and activities

• De Soto USD #232 — afternoon kindergarten and early childhood classes canceled
  • Central Junior High School vs. Southwest Junior High School 8th grad boys basketball — canceled
  • Eudora USD #491 — after-school activities
  • Haskell Indian Nations University — afternoon and evening classes and activities canceled.
  • Kansas University, Lawrence campus — closing at 4 p.m., overnight employees may arrive one hour late
  • Lawrence High School — wrestling matches, C-team basketball practice, speed school, bowling practice, Scholars Bowl practice, "Into the Woods" dress rehearsal and gaming club all canceled
  • Pinnacle Career Institute — evening classes canceled

Events, organizations and businesses

• ATA Prime Martial Arts — all classes canceled
  • AAPC Lawrence Chapter — meeting canceled
  • Adult Learning Center — classes canceled
  • Americana Music Academy — beginners jam canceled
  • Capital Federal Bank — in-store locations (SuperTarget, Dillons) closing at 6 p.m.
  • City of Lawrence public utilities meeting at Central Junior High School — canceled
  • Douglas County Dental Clinic — closing at 4 p.m., reopening 10 a.m. Thursday (weather permitting, call (785) 312-7770
  • Equity Council Meeting at Deerfield School — canceled
  • Eudora Municipal Court — canceled
  • G-Force Athletic — no classes or team practices
  • Headquarters Counseling Center information meeting — canceled
  • Health Care Access Clinic — closing at 4 p.m.
  • Lawrence Aquahawks — all group practices canceled
  • Lawrence Arts Center — all classes canceled starting at 4 p.m.
  • Lawrence Gymnastics — all classes canceled, team practice as scheduled
  • Lawrence Jayhawk Kennel Club — enrollment canceled, rescheduled for Jan. 26 at 5:30 p.m.
  • Lawrence Memorial Hospital childbirth class — canceled
  • Lawrence Parks and Recreation — evening activities canceled, recreation facilities close at 5 p.m.
  • Lawrence Public Library — closing at 5 p.m.
  • Mizuno Club Volleyball at Central Junior High School — canceled

• First Southern Baptist Church — evening activities canceled
  • Lawrence Free Methodist Church — evening activities canceled
  • Lawrence Wesleyan Church — all night activities canceled
  • St. John the Evangelist Church — all evening events canceled
  • Trinity Lutheran Church — evening meetings, activities and services canceled
  • Unitarian Fellowship of Lawrence — evening events canceled

Check back with LJWorld.com for more closings and cancellations.

Do you have a closing or cancellation to report? Email it to editor@ljworld.com

Comments

Boston_Corbett 4 years ago

Donut shops in Desoto.....get ready.

Here comes Obamarocks.

Rae Smith Evans 4 years ago

I wonder if we will actually get hit with this storm.... I believe nothing until I actually see with white stuff falling! If we get the upwards of 11 inches that they are saying is possible, I would not be surprised if every school in the area cancels tomorrow.

LillyRose 4 years ago

Where did it say we could have 11 inches of snow? All I've seen says between 5-8 inches of snow. Just curious.

Audrey Goebel-Hall 4 years ago

It's snowing in Topeka. Big, fluffy flakes. If it keeps up, I think we'll definitely have 11 inches.

LillyRose 4 years ago

No one really cares that you took your kids to get donuts or that you report people who don't shovel the snow. I think it just struck a nerve because you did post often that same post about how school kids shouldn't be out in the bad weather.....then you did take them out in the bad weather, even though they didn't have to get out in it. And the reporting on the snow shoveling....that's sad that you have that much time on your hands to go around and report that.

kernal 4 years ago

It's not official until the District announces the closure.

Boston_Corbett 4 years ago

Oh yea?

And I just called Dillons and asked if they had Prince Albert in a can.

trinity 4 years ago

oy yea?

well i called KFC and they said they have the colonel in a bucket! :)

MarcoPogo 4 years ago

Just to be on the safe side, I called the bowling alley and yes, they have 10-pound balls.

Christine Anderson 4 years ago

Obamarocks-are you in the Lawrence district?

RoeDapple 4 years ago

obamarocks - a little thicker skin and soon you too will enjoy the games! Nobody (well very few) are out to hurt anyone on the forum. As the old saying goes,"Everybody gets a turn in the barrel, today is yours."

Caesar_Augustus 4 years ago

If any of you guys want to come by tomorrow and play kinect or go sledding, just PM me on this board and we can do it. My kids will be out of school tomorrow due to this snownami and so I'll have to stay home with them. LMK

Thanks,

CA.

Amy Bartle 4 years ago

I wish there was a like button. So many funny comments! I remembered the Dunkin' Donuts story from the last storm. I doubt I will brave going to Munchers. I picked up a day old Angel Food cake from Dillons today. That just might have to do.

BigAl 4 years ago

“snownami".... Word of the day!!!!

Steve Jacob 4 years ago

Who calls the school at 1PM and ask about school the next day? Oh yea, someone who reports seven people for not clearing sidewalks.

suzchase 4 years ago

We've been using SNOWMAGEDDON around here at Little Red.

Zachary Stoltenberg 4 years ago

Around here I prefer "snowmageddon" 'cuz people act like it's the end of the world.

Kelly Anderson 4 years ago

I prefer mine with rum and a splash of coke.

conservative 4 years ago

Get over being upset about the sidewalk law. If people own property with a sidewalk then they have a responsibility to clear it. If they can't physically do it they can hire it out or get on the list for free assistance. What they absolutely should not do is ignore their responsibility and leave it unsafe for children walking to school. If they refuse to live up to their responsibilities it is their fault not that of the person who reports them. And no i haven't reported anyone.

MarcoPogo 4 years ago

So if I don't live near a school, I'm in the clear? I like your thinking!

Rae Smith Evans 4 years ago

please don't forget about the safety of your poor letter carrier who has to walk out in this stuff regardless of how much it is. Please clear the walks for him/her. Thank you from a letter carrier's wife.

RaynRavyn 4 years ago

I don't live anywhere near a sidewalk, but it sounds to me like the answer to this might lie in a big hammer and a wheelbarrow. Of course, the city may not like that. I imagine you have no choice in having a sidewalk or not, you are just required to keep it up...

Linda Aikins 4 years ago

I just spent 45 minutes clearing a shovel-wide path on the sidewalk from street corner to street corner. Last week our neighbors did not shovel theirs and it was icy on the bottom so I didn't go all the way down. Needless to say, by the time I made the round trip, it had at least 1/2" more on top of it. After four revolutions, I gave Mother Nature the blue ribbon and I came in for hot chocolate. :(

Oh and Katie Tornadie, there is more than 2" of snow here....

suzchase 4 years ago

I feel a work from home day coming on.

Dispersant 4 years ago

Johnson County Community College closes at 4pm today.