Archive for Monday, January 17, 2011

Best Of Lawrence goes gluten free, vegan and vegetarian

January 17, 2011

Google Map

Best Of Lawrence 2011: Gluten Free Options

View Best of Lawrence 2011: Gluten Free Restaurant in a larger map

Help us make sure we've included all of Lawrence's finest gluten free options for consideration in this new category!

Google Map

Best Of Lawrence 2011: Vegan/Vegetarian Options

View Best of Lawrence 2011: Vegetarian/Vegan Options in a larger map

Let us know if you don't see your favorite restaurant featuring vegan and vegetarian options on here!

Just seven days remain until voting begins for Best of Lawrence 2011. We can't wait to start counting your ballots but first still need a little more feedback.

Today and Wednesday will be the last two posts previewing Best of Lawrence candidates. It's not too late to go back and check out our past previews. Today we need your help in making sure we include all of Lawrence's best options for gluten free, vegan and vegetarian dining.

So take a look at what we've got so far and help add to the list below in the comments or on Twitter or Facebook.

Best Gluten Free Options

Ten at The Eldridge

Wheatfields

Kokoro

Esquina

La Parrilla

Free State Brewing Co.

We've already previewed candidates for best date, wifi hotspot and bar. You looked at the town's best bookstore and live music venue candidates. Best coffee, burger and place to dance inspired a spirited debate. Chili-heads and Taco Tuesday regulars got a chance to debate the town's best spots for Latin American and Middle Eastern foods. We've looked at candidates for pizza, Italian food, Asian cuisine and breakfast. Most recently, we've reviewed the city's best clothing and hair care options.

Last week we took a look at the best sweets, quick eats and places to watch the game. And you also helped weigh in on the town's best store cat and best new restaurant.

Comments

BABBOY 3 years, 3 months ago

Blah blah, blah ----- blah....

LadyJ 3 years, 3 months ago

My daughter is allergic to wheat, dairy, egg, and tomatoes, and does eat meat. If she eats the foods she is allergic to, her mouth and throat swell up and her asthma kicks up. The tomatoes was rough because it ruled out a lot of gluten free options and most vegetable soups. We are very thankful she is not allergic to peanuts, a major source of protein for her. Maybe I should hope the "fad" passes. When she travels, she must take her own food because she never knows if she can find food. Try getting that past airport security. If she forgets to take food for lunch, she must wait till she gets home which means 12 hours between breakfast and dinner on some days. I can't believe it upsets anyone if options are listed for people like her to eat at.

monkeyspunk 3 years, 3 months ago

People with celiac disease cannot have normal beer. This is an injustice of epic proportions.

I am here to help.

Michele 3 years, 3 months ago

Lawrence has lots of veggie options. I was so happy when we moved here and had more than the normal one token vegetarian meal at each restaurant. Lawrence restaurants get it! Thank you! I love having choices! I also appreciate the veggie options on Yello Subs menu. I also LOVE La Familia. Beans are vegetarian and everything is delicious! Oh and I second the avacado chimichurri at Free State. YUMMY!

Ernest Barteldes 3 years, 3 months ago

Well its good to see Lawrence has options for the meat-free. I am not a real vegetarian (I do love fish) but I try my best... havent touched red meat in over a decade... So I guess next time I visit Lawrence I will know where to go (hmmm Thai)

kansasfan21 3 years, 3 months ago

I guess I wouldn't call 1 out of 133 people a small percentage...For those of us who MUST eat gluten-free, this category is a much-welcomed addition to 'The Best of Lawrence.'

AlligatorMama 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm sorry but saying gluten free is a fad diet is ridiculous and insulting. Celiac Disease (caused by gluten) for me caused horrible stomach pains daily, fatigue and infertility. Cutting gluten from my diet finally gave me my life back and allowed us to get pregnant after years of trying. Many people suffer for years not realizing what the true problem is.

Thanks for including GF places in the Best of Lawrence section...its very helpful for those who need GF options!

RoeDapple 3 years, 3 months ago

My vegan friend and I have a great time kidding each other about our different food choices. It has taken on new life since I caught her eating a cheese burger in Topeka . . .

blindrabbit 3 years, 3 months ago

Bladerunner 3 years, 3 months ago

Why all the fuss about gluten free or vegan? Does anybody really care? I mean...such a small percentage of the population. I would think you be better off doing something else. Just my opinion.

monkeyspunk 3 years, 3 months ago