Archive for Monday, January 17, 2011

Best Of Lawrence goes gluten free, vegan and vegetarian

January 17, 2011

Google Map

Best Of Lawrence 2011: Gluten Free Options

View Best of Lawrence 2011: Gluten Free Restaurant in a larger map

Help us make sure we've included all of Lawrence's finest gluten free options for consideration in this new category!

Google Map

Best Of Lawrence 2011: Vegan/Vegetarian Options

View Best of Lawrence 2011: Vegetarian/Vegan Options in a larger map

Let us know if you don't see your favorite restaurant featuring vegan and vegetarian options on here!

Just seven days remain until voting begins for Best of Lawrence 2011. We can't wait to start counting your ballots but first still need a little more feedback.

Today and Wednesday will be the last two posts previewing Best of Lawrence candidates. It's not too late to go back and check out our past previews. Today we need your help in making sure we include all of Lawrence's best options for gluten free, vegan and vegetarian dining.

So take a look at what we've got so far and help add to the list below in the comments or on Twitter or Facebook.

Best Gluten Free Options

Ten at The Eldridge

Wheatfields

Kokoro

Esquina

La Parrilla

Free State Brewing Co.

We've already previewed candidates for best date, wifi hotspot and bar. You looked at the town's best bookstore and live music venue candidates. Best coffee, burger and place to dance inspired a spirited debate. Chili-heads and Taco Tuesday regulars got a chance to debate the town's best spots for Latin American and Middle Eastern foods. We've looked at candidates for pizza, Italian food, Asian cuisine and breakfast. Most recently, we've reviewed the city's best clothing and hair care options.

Last week we took a look at the best sweets, quick eats and places to watch the game. And you also helped weigh in on the town's best store cat and best new restaurant.

Comments

monkeyspunk 3 years, 8 months ago

3 years, 8 months ago

Thanks! Free State is added. Love the avocado chimichurri wrap.

Bladerunner 3 years, 8 months ago

Why all the fuss about gluten free or vegan? Does anybody really care? I mean...such a small percentage of the population. I would think you be better off doing something else. Just my opinion.

Kris_H 3 years, 8 months ago

Maybe because some people who aren't any of those things care about someone who is? I have vegetarian, vegan AND gluten-intolerant friends in various combos of those things. Nice to know where I can go out with them in Lawrence.

rockchalker52 3 years, 8 months ago

Now, ya see, my posting peers, that was a fine post right there. BR asks a civil question & K_H gives a civil answer in return. Hard to do sometimes.

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 8 months ago

not to those with celiac disease.

badger 3 years, 8 months ago

True, but celiac disease is the new 'lactose intolerant', I think. Waaaaay more people being diagnosed with it than makes sense.

"Oh, you have an unspecified set of ailments that are partially digestive in nature, unconnected to one another, seemingly inexplicable, and have not responded to any other treatments. I think you have Celiac disease, which I cannot run a conclusive test for and which I will continue to treat you for in the absence of any positive indications that you've got it. You'll need to cut out just about everything you eat now and become obsessed with reading labels."

Everyone I know who's been diagnosed celiac in the last few years (most of them by an 'elimination diagnosis' in which the doctor can't confirm celiac but has eliminated every other possible illness) has become an obsessive label reader, cut down on processed foods, increased their consumption of vegetables, and decreased their sodium and sugar intake. OF COURSE if you do those things you feel better, and if a large part of your diet previously consisted of processed high-carb and fatty foods, you'll get healthier. They didn't have a disease, they were just eating like Americans.

All this just provides people who chose to go 'gluten-free' (when they could have become just as healthy by moderately cutting back on processed foods) with ammunition to insist that yes, it really was celiac disease, because the treatment had an effect. This, in turn, fuels the idea that there's some sort of celiac epidemic going on out there, when really we all just need to eat more real food and less processed junk.

The very small percentage of people among those diagnosed who actually have celiac disease are an incredible minority in a group of people mostly benefiting from 'treatment' that would better be called 'getting a balanced diet.' The celiacs are benefitting from the crowd in an increased availability of gluten-free options.

I love the gluten-free fad, myself, becase it means that until the processed foods market catches up with the fad, there are a lot more options out there for "meat+veggies without heavy sauces" and I like to eat like that. Unfortunately, it means that as they come up with more processed gluten-free alternatives, the people who aren't really gluten-intolerant will be right back where they started with a high-fat, high-sugar, salty diet, and the people with actual celiac will find that the current ease with which they can get gluten-free products vanishes as quickly as it arose.

blindrabbit 3 years, 8 months ago

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

My vegan friend and I have a great time kidding each other about our different food choices. It has taken on new life since I caught her eating a cheese burger in Topeka . . .

AlligatorMama 3 years, 8 months ago

I'm sorry but saying gluten free is a fad diet is ridiculous and insulting. Celiac Disease (caused by gluten) for me caused horrible stomach pains daily, fatigue and infertility. Cutting gluten from my diet finally gave me my life back and allowed us to get pregnant after years of trying. Many people suffer for years not realizing what the true problem is.

Thanks for including GF places in the Best of Lawrence section...its very helpful for those who need GF options!

Kris_H 3 years, 8 months ago

Some folks apparently think the world begins and ends with them, so they don't have to take anyone else's difficulties into account. Glad you found a way back to health!

kansasfan21 3 years, 8 months ago

I guess I wouldn't call 1 out of 133 people a small percentage...For those of us who MUST eat gluten-free, this category is a much-welcomed addition to 'The Best of Lawrence.'

Ernest Barteldes 3 years, 8 months ago

Well its good to see Lawrence has options for the meat-free. I am not a real vegetarian (I do love fish) but I try my best... havent touched red meat in over a decade... So I guess next time I visit Lawrence I will know where to go (hmmm Thai)

Michele 3 years, 8 months ago

Lawrence has lots of veggie options. I was so happy when we moved here and had more than the normal one token vegetarian meal at each restaurant. Lawrence restaurants get it! Thank you! I love having choices! I also appreciate the veggie options on Yello Subs menu. I also LOVE La Familia. Beans are vegetarian and everything is delicious! Oh and I second the avacado chimichurri at Free State. YUMMY!

monkeyspunk 3 years, 8 months ago

People with celiac disease cannot have normal beer. This is an injustice of epic proportions.

I am here to help.

LadyJ 3 years, 8 months ago

My daughter is allergic to wheat, dairy, egg, and tomatoes, and does eat meat. If she eats the foods she is allergic to, her mouth and throat swell up and her asthma kicks up. The tomatoes was rough because it ruled out a lot of gluten free options and most vegetable soups. We are very thankful she is not allergic to peanuts, a major source of protein for her. Maybe I should hope the "fad" passes. When she travels, she must take her own food because she never knows if she can find food. Try getting that past airport security. If she forgets to take food for lunch, she must wait till she gets home which means 12 hours between breakfast and dinner on some days. I can't believe it upsets anyone if options are listed for people like her to eat at.

LadyJ 3 years, 8 months ago

Maybe your diabetes was karma.