Archive for Monday, January 17, 2011

25 years ago: Cornucopia Restaurant closes

January 17, 2011

From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Jan. 17, 1986:

• After nearly 12 years of operation as a local favorite, the Cornucopia Restaurant, 1801 Mass., had closed on Jan. 13. Todd Murrell, who had joined the business in 1976, told employees that his decision was based on personal reasons and that the restaurant did not have financial difficulties. Glen Sohl, who had opened the Cornucopia in 1974, had sold his interest to Murrell in January 1983 and opened Tin Pan Alley at 1106 Mass. Sohl declined to comment on the closing of the Cornucopia.
  • Kansas University’s Concert Series had booked legendary jazz vocalist Sarah Vaughan for an April 26 concert in Hoch Auditorium. Her concert was to replace one planned by Cleo Laine and her husband, John Dankworth. Ms. Laine had been forced to cancel her spring tour due to the success of her Broadway show, “The Mystery of Edwin Drood.”

Comments

rbwaa 4 years, 3 months ago

they had the best salad and soup bar...

grammaddy 4 years, 3 months ago

Cornucopia was my favorite place to eat long before I moved to Lawrence.

vuduchyld 4 years, 3 months ago

So did it re-open later? I moved here in June of 1986....not quite 25 years ago. But Cornucopia was open for quite some time...at least a year or more...after I moved here.

lori 4 years, 3 months ago

vuduchyld, I'm as confused as you are. I moved here in 1990, and I ate at the Cornucopia at least once before it closed.

Sarah St. John 4 years, 3 months ago

I am sorry for the confusion. Here's my best reconstruction of what happened:

Glen Sohl opened the restaurant; Todd Murrell joined forces with him in 1976; Todd closed in 1986 as explained above; but he sold it to another partnership (Ken Creasey and Michael Roark, I think) who later sold it back to Glen Sohl. Glen then ran the restaurant until some time in the early or mid 90s, I believe.

Hope this helps!

Sarah St. John 4 years, 3 months ago

Hey, I just found some great old pictures of the Corno in its heyday. Here you go:

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 3 months ago

And after the Corno closed for the last time, it became the "Ice House." Slushy alcoholic drinks turned out not to be such a great hit.

kernal 4 years, 3 months ago

I miss Corno's black bean enchiladas.

Hey, Glen, if real estate is still slow, you can open another restaurant and we'll be support it!! Or if real estate isn't slow...

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

Margaret's was GREAT for breakfast. Not so good for getting arrested . . . but THAT my friends is another story . . .

Benjamin Jones 4 years, 3 months ago

Worked at Tin Pan for a school year. Great place. Glen was a good guy to work for. Lotta good times there, and we busted our asses in the kitchen when we'd get slammed.