Agenda highlights • 6:35 p.m. Tuesday • City Hall, Sixth and Massachusetts streets • Sunflower Broadband Channel 25 • Meeting documents online at lawrenceks.org
City commissioners will consider rezoning 51 acres of property at the southwest corner of North 1800 Road and East 1000 Road from suburban home residential to general industrial.
The property is adjacent to the Kansas Turnpike and is just east of the Lecompton interchange on the turnpike. A development group led by Steve and Duane Schwada have requested the rezoning to begin marketing the property to potential industrial users. Several neighbors have opposed the rezoning, saying that the rural nature of the site makes inappropriate for industrial development currently. Some city commissioners also have questioned whether the site is suitable for general industrial development, or whether it should be limited to lighter industrial development.
Executive session, 5:45 p.m.
• Consider motion to recess into executive session for the purpose of consultation with attorneys for the body, which would be deemed privileged in the attorney-client relationship.
Consent agenda, 6:35 p.m.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from Nov. 16 and Nov. 23.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions.
• Approve all claims.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the city clerk’s office.
• Approve appointments as recommended by the mayor.
• Bid and purchase items:
a) Set bid date of Feb. 15 for Comprehensive Rehabilitation Projects at 1046 Pa. and 407 Maine.
b) Set bid date of Feb. 15 for 2011 mowing contracts.
c) Authorize the city manager to execute Supplemental Agreement No. 3 in the amount of $42,527 to the current Engineering Services Agreement with BG Consultants for Design and Construction Phase Engineering of additional water main replacement adjacent to Phase II of Project UT0810DS Water Main Replacement Program.
d) Approve purchase of two new mowers for Eagle Bend Golf Course from Professional Turf Products in the amount of $27,882, and from John Deere Co. in the amount of $24,849, for a total of $52,731.
• Adopt the following ordinance(s) on second and final reading:
a) Ordinance No. 8609, authorizing the issuance of general obligation bonds in an amount not to exceed $220,000, plus costs of issuance and interest, for the cost of demolition and environmental remediation at the former Farmland property, as authorized by the City Commission on Dec. 21, 2010.
b) Ordinance No. 8608, for Special Use Permit (SUP-10-7-10) for a daycare facility at 345 Fla.
• Adopt Resolution No. 6916, expressing conditional support for the proposed rehabilitation of the Poehler Building at 619 E. Eighth St. for apartment units and such affordable housing tax credits as may be available from the State of Kansas.
• Approve request by Glen and Carla Helm for a variance from 19-214B of the City Code which states that a private sanitary sewer service line shall not be located in a City public right of way for greater than 15 feet, for 700 and 761 Elm St.
• Authorize the mayor to sign two releases of mortgage for Elizabeth Patrick, 2734 Bonanza, and a subordination agreement for Marilyn Figuieras, 2044 Emerald Drive.
• Approve the following items relating to sidewalk dining and hospitality area at Spoons Yogurt Restaurant, 732 Mass.
a) Approve Site Plan SP-10-53-10 for a new restaurant and sidewalk dining for Spoons Yogurt Restaurant, to be located at 732 Mass.
b) Approve sidewalk dining and hospitality license for Spoons Yogurt Restaurant, 732 Mass.
• Authorize staff to complete the needed online paperwork to become a “Let’s Move” community and work with local organizations who wish to utilize the marketing and branding materials for their efforts to reduce childhood obesity and create a healthier Lawrence.
• Receive city manager’s report.
• Consider rezoning, Z-9-13-10, of approximately 51 acres from County A-1 (Suburban Home Residential) to City IG (General Industrial), located on the southwest corner of North 1800 Road (Farmer’s Turnpike) and East 1000 Road (Queens Road Extended). Place on first reading Ordinance No. 8595 approving the rezoning on the Jan. 25 City Commission meeting, if appropriate.
• Reconsider a Text Amendment, TA-4-4-10, to the City of Lawrence Land Development Code, Chapter 20, Section 20-403, and potentially other sections of the Code, to permit the Hotel, Motel, Extended Stay use in the IBP (Industrial/Business Park) District.