Archive for Saturday, January 15, 2011

40 years ago: Members of Lawrence ‘hippie community’ not worried about new A.G.

January 15, 2011

From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Jan. 15, 1971:

• In spite of his threats to close down the “hippie community” in Lawrence, Vern Miller was not held in much awe by members of that community. The “long-haired denizens of River City” were responding to the new Kansas Attorney General’s threats in a nonchalant manner. One said, “He won’t touch the big dealers and business will go on as usual.” “He makes busts but he does a sloppy job of it,” said another young man. When hearing of rumors that Miller already had undercover agents in Lawrence, the young people were still not seriously concerned. “He’s got his information sources and we’ve got ours,” said one. “He’s got his long-hairs and we’ve got our short-hairs.”
  • Final federal census figures, released this week, showed an increase over preliminary estimates for both Lawrence and Douglas County. In addition, the numbers revealed that city growth was responsible for more than 90 percent of the county’s growth. Lawrence final population figure was set at 45,698, with Douglas County coming in at 57,932.

Comments

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

January 16, 2011 at 8:09 a.m.

---and thus, a conservative was formed!
lol!

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 3 months ago

I remember that year like it was yesterday. I was 9 going on 10 living in CT. My mom drove a high shcool bus and I would often ride with her. I remember all the hippies, and I thought it was pretty cool to be honest. I remember two of the hippies were in casts from skiing accidents and would race down the sidewalk with their crutches every day to the bus. They were just regular kids having fun--- with long hair. My older sisters had parties and here they all came, as my oldest sister Kathy, blonde, was one of the school hotties and played classical guitar and sang and did several appearances on the h/s stage-----the hippy dudes all loved her. At about 6 I could read very well and at one of the parties, they propped me up on a stool in the basement and had me read out of the "The Facts Of Life" and I put on a good show for them. They really got a kick out of that. Two or three overdosed over the next few years. Beatles, acid, Woodstock----it was all big then.

Alceste 3 years, 3 months ago

Vern Miller was a clown. Hiding his back side inside the trunk of that car and then "surprising" us. Really pretty manly pistols he toted too. Jerk.

rtwngr 3 years, 3 months ago

Well, I don't think you'll see this year's AG popping out of the trunk of an undercover car to make a "bust" like old Vern liked to do. Talk about a zealot.

somebodynew 3 years, 3 months ago

Well, I can't speak for 40 years ago (at least in Lawrence), but I can say I am worried about this year's AG. Not for the same reasons tho.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

what? no Vern Miller comment?

where are the hippies?

or their followers the neohippies?

of course, HWSNBN [marioni] claimed to have been one of Vern's boys.