Archive for Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Trial to get under way for Douglas County man accused of sexually abusing 4-year-old at day care

January 11, 2011

Opening arguments are scheduled to begin Wednesday morning in the trial of a 68-year-old Douglas County man accused of sexually assaulting a girl at a rural Lawrence day care in 2009.

Attorneys for both sides spent Tuesday in District Judge Sally Pokorny’s courtroom questioning a panel of potential jurors before selecting 12 jurors and one alternate about 4:30 p.m.

The man faces one count of aggravated criminal sodomy and aggravated indecent liberties with a child.

Prosecutors allege the defendant sexually assaulted a girl who was 4 years old at the time in July 2009 while he lived at the home where a day care operated.

Douglas County Sheriff’s officers arrested him last March, and the defendant, who has pleaded not guilty in the case, is being held in the Douglas County Jail on $50,000 bond.

The Journal-World generally does not name sex-crime suspects unless they are convicted.

Comments

consumer1 3 years, 11 months ago

Of course I don't approve this guys action and if he is guilty I condemn him with the rest. I just find it funny how such a liberal town degrades into a lynch mob on articles like this. Kinda reminds me of the old cow town lynching mobs. But we are more civilized... Right?

somedude20 3 years, 11 months ago

so far seems like you are the only lib who is yelling anything. thanks for towing the line for the liberal, lib!

imastinker 3 years, 11 months ago

I wondered about this too. I actually wonder if it's not a case where he did something minor, like give a kid a bath or a spanking and got this as the result. I know nothing about the case however.

Let's hope the kid gets the help he/she needs and justice is served for this guy - whatever that is.

Wendy magillicutty 3 years, 11 months ago

Aggravated sodomy is not a bath or spanking.

Ceallach 3 years, 11 months ago

consumer1, you have the order wrong, it should be castrate him then hang him.

Ceallach 3 years, 11 months ago

Right. Before castration, but just after pulling his teeth. A child suffers the effects of molestation to one degree or another for the rest of their life. I'm far too humane to suggest that we do the same to the "waste of skin" who assaults a child. But first things first . . . give him a fair trial THEN proceed to reward his actions.