Archive for Monday, January 10, 2011

Bill Self clears Kansas senior Mario Little for competition

Travis Releford listed as questionable for ISU

Mario Little, who is suspended, stands to watch the action from the bench during the first half, Wednesday, Dec. 29, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

January 10, 2011, 7:26 p.m. Updated January 10, 2011, 11:57 p.m.

Kansas University senior basketball player Mario Little, who has missed the last six games while on indefinite suspension, has been reinstated for competition, coach Bill Self said Monday night.

Little, a 6-foot-5, 210-pound guard from Chicago, was arrested on Dec. 16 on misdemeanor battery charges, two counts of criminal damage to property and one count of criminal trespassing.

“He has not only met the requirements of the court but also the requirements of our basketball program. One of those stipulations is his receiving weekly counseling that will continue through the end of our basketball season.”

Little, according to the original police report, pushed a 22-year-old Lawrence female resident in an attempt to find a person listed as his girlfriend. The police report indicated he pushed the person identified as his girlfriend into a sink. He also had confrontations with two men in the early morning hours.

“We as a program take the events of Dec. 16 very seriously,” Self said. “Mario made mistakes and exercised poor judgment. We have let the legal process play out, and have been able to evaluate Mario in the last four weeks in a variety of ways, including counseling. We feel he should be allowed to rejoin our team for games.”

Little played in nine games prior to his suspension, averaging 6.2 points off 55 percent shooting. He will be eligible to play in Wednesday’s 8 p.m. Big 12 opener at Iowa State.

“I believe in Mario,” Self said. “He has been a pleasure to coach and I am certainly proud of the fact he only has three hours left to graduate (in African-American Studies). I’m more concerned about what’s best for our program rather than an individual, but in this case, I believe he deserves a second opportunity to finish his career in uniform. I have consulted with many people about this, and after a lot of deliberation feel confident this is the best thing to do.”

Little issued his take on the situation on Monday night: “I have appreciated all the support people have shown me, especially my teammates,” Little said. “I accept responsibility for what took place that evening and have learned from it and feel awful about it. I’m appreciative of the opportunity to come back. The last four weeks have given me time to reflect and reevaluate a lot of things with myself. I certainly anticipate not only handling situations better but also feel I have become a much better person because of this.”

Releford injury update: KU sophomore guard Travis Releford, who sprained his left ankle late in the first half of Sunday’s 67-60 overtime victory at Michigan, is listed as questionable for the Iowa State game.

“Travis is actually doing pretty well,” Self said Monday on his Hawk Talk radio show. “We did all the X-rays and everything. He has a pretty severe ankle sprain. They worked on it a lot today getting the swelling down. I’d say his status for Wednesday is up in the air. It’s better than doubtful. I hope we have him. I don’t know if that will be the case or not. We’re going to need him down the road, that’s for sure. I don’t anticipate him missing more than one game if he misses any.”

On second thought: Self, after watching the game films, had this to say about Sunday’s win at Michigan:

“I thought we took a little step back yesterday, but one thing we did yesterday was play great in overtime,” Self said on the Big 12 weekly coaches teleconference.

KU outscored Michigan, 16-9, in OT.

“To win on the road when we went 2-for-20 from three in regulation ... they shot it miserably as well. Some nights you have to figure a way to win. We let it get away from us by being so careless., but we played well down the stretch and made some nice plays. This might sound strange to say, but that was probably good for us (in long run) to lose momentum and have to come back and get it back. I definitely take some positives out of that game.”

Comments

Joe Hyde 4 years, 4 months ago

This is good news. Mario is a gentleman and a sportsman on court, and he can hit free throws. And being only a few hours from graduating is a testament to his intelligence and tenacity. Graduating from KU is very difficult regardless of your area of study.

Another thing: Like all of KU's players -- at least so it seems in recent decades -- Mario has never had one of those stunning high-scoring games that KU players of earlier eras are noted for. He could easily have games like that, or at least try for them, but instead he has willingly fit his skills into a system that minimizes individual scoring heroics to maximize total team wins.

jehovah_bob 4 years, 4 months ago

. . . and graduating from KU is not very difficult.

Joe Hyde 4 years, 4 months ago

Well, I was referring to his conduct on-court and should have worded the comment more clearly. That said, getting arrested for the assault will likely deter any such angry outbursts in the future. Handcuffs have a way of leaving a lasting impression on one's mind.

squawkhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Sarcasm I hope. If not, you need help.

pfunk81 4 years, 4 months ago

I called this the second Releford hurt his ankle yesterday!!

mk9992 4 years, 4 months ago

You must be very smart. You're definitely very proud of yourself.

pfunk81 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm glad you realize this! I'm awesome.

Charlie Dominguez 4 years, 4 months ago

The guy hit a girl, The man hit a woman...call it what you will. This action to "welcome" this abuser is not good for KU, and sets a bad example that physical abuse is an acceptable form of behavior. Let him graduate, but he loses his opportunity to play ball, to receive the cheers of so many. How are women suppose to cheer for the abuser. I get so tired of winking the other way...give it a few weeks, take some counseling classes and wait till it blows over. What did the girl/woman receive?

I hope Bill Self will stand up when the next time Mario slaps a woman down, but I doubt if he will. All in the name of winning basketball...and society continues to lose out.

Bob Forer 4 years, 4 months ago

I thought he should have received the death penalty.....

but since the death penalty is not available for misdemeanor battery, I guess its okay that he be allowed to play, especially considering that the prosecutor saw fit to give him a diversion.

squawkhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

LOL! He's a KU BB player. Did you think he'd get anything other than diversion or some token community service? All I can say is that I hope my daughter never dates or runs in the same circles as any KU BB player.

woodscolt 4 years, 4 months ago

Me too. I'm sure Mario has more class than that anyway.

woodscolt 4 years, 4 months ago

Right Sych, and most people are allowed the diversion option for a first time situation. Contrary to some of the posters comments, the diversion was not created for just basketball players. It also comes with some conditions for the offender to meet or it can be rescinded.

Derek Broksieck 4 years, 4 months ago

He received battery charges, not domestic.

ralphralph 4 years, 4 months ago

" I hit a girl and I like it, I liked it " (and I got a diversion)

jaywalker 4 years, 4 months ago

Slaps a woman down? Interesting. I didn't know that's what "push" meant. Huh. Learn something new every day.

bangaranggerg 4 years, 4 months ago

/ What did the girl/woman receive?

Answer: Alex DeLeon ...Zing!

SloJo 4 years, 4 months ago

Embarassing....Lets Marcus play dirty, now lets thug return......winning is more important to Self than character.

squawkhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Just shows what kind of characte Bill Self really has. This is very disappointing to say the least. Win at all cost, that's what it's about. Maybe Bill should spend time teaching his players life's lessons like so many other coaches do, rather than just the x's and o's of BB. That's what truly great coaches do.

woodscolt 4 years, 4 months ago

Just stick to Kstate games. No one is interested in your drivel.

Paula Kissinger 4 years, 4 months ago

So riverrat...your buddy Mario was being a gentleman when he smacked a woman and shoved her head into the sink ? I had so hoped that Bill Self was going to be a stand-up guy like Roy Williams had been here but it seems the "game" is far more important than the University's "integrity"...as in the days of Ted Owens and Don Fambrough and Mike Godfried and Larry Brown. Perhaps the poor showing yesterday was the reason for today's decision.

This is a disgrace to the University and a loud shout of KU athletes can do whatever they want and get away with it...again...and again...and again. It is just a game but this bad decision to put the AD before decency is a loud voice to that woman saying that what he did wasn't that bad and he has served his time on the bench and can come out and play with the rest of the kids now. No...he hasn't served his time...hopefully that day will come in a courtroom but I will not hold my breath. No KU athlete I ever arrested ever got more than a hand-slap.

Shame on you Bill.

bill_the_kat 4 years, 4 months ago

" stand-up guy like Roy Williams" Lester Earl begs to differ.

hail2oldku 4 years, 4 months ago

Yes, because BJ Williams, Lester Earl, Darrin Hancock, et al were such fine upstanding young men.

Mo Meza 4 years, 4 months ago

Sometimes humans are not perfect and considering that this case WAS NOT A DOMESTIC VIOLENCE case and Mario has not been a violent person in the past, and on top of that we don't know the details of what really happened, it seems like he deserves a second chance. What he did was wrong, but this is nothing that will require for him to be abandoned. He is is just a young man that has a chance to go to college and play basketball,and made a mistake. We need to learn how to forgive.

JustNoticed 4 years, 4 months ago

Oh please, Roy Williams is a stand up guy only because he has a broomstick up his derriere - biggest phony I ever met. He refers to himself in the third person, "Roy Weeyums this, Roy Weeyums that". And, unless he wins the national championship, every season ends in tears.

woodscolt 4 years, 4 months ago

Go ahead and hold your breath. Don't expect that to bother anyone. Maybe the days of pbg wining will be over shame on you granny

monheim 4 years, 4 months ago

Well, I guess if Brady's DUI doesn't get you kicked off the team, why would this? Just out of curiosity, is this kind of thing governed by league rules or by school athletic department policy?

Flap Doodle 4 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, yeah, sure, sure, whatever you say, Bill.

justforfun 4 years, 4 months ago

Eh, this would destroy his LIFE???????

squawkhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

He said the words but I doubt that he has "obviously taken responsibility". I doubt he even wrote the script himself.

squawkhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

That is easy, you're wondering how insightful my comment was and you were wondering if you came across looking like a fool...which you did.

ursulabirtha 4 years, 4 months ago

I thought Bill Self was better then this. What a good example for all those young boys and girls. No guy hits women just one time. I am disgusted with KU athletics.

brewmaster 4 years, 4 months ago

Steve Jacob 4 years, 4 months ago

So Bill Self is saying assault is not as bad as a DUI, because Morningstar missed about 10 games?

Gregory Newman 4 years, 4 months ago

jaywalker 4 years, 4 months ago

"Paying" for his bad decision will come as a result of the court's ruling, as it should. Since this is an isolated incident for Little, reinstatement seems fair. Getting a scholie should automatically keep kids out of trouble? Umm, .... right. And unicorns soar overhead, raining gumdrops and gold for all the good children of Never Ever Land.

Mo Meza 4 years, 4 months ago

I need to be clear on my response. I meant I agree with the comment by red_devil. Coach Self and his coaching staff know what they are doing. Again, Mario should be given a second chance.

riverdrifter 4 years, 4 months ago

"Let Self do his job and make the decisions. The rest of you know-it-alls get off the computer and go find a cure for cancer."

FTW.

The rest of you haters go coach your own top-5 D-1 basketball team.

seth5792 4 years, 4 months ago

Well said Red-Devil.........He is a kid who made a mistake, fessed up to it, and took his lumps. Lawrence is just full of a bunch of Saints.

I lived down the street from Lester Earl.....believe me that was a stain on the program without reproach. Instead of chastising we should be counting our blessings that we have a coach like Coach Self.

John Reher 4 years, 4 months ago

Oh good Lord, thank goodness none of the perfect people who post here have ever done anything stupid in their lives. Those of you have never gotten drunk and made a mistake that at least could have gotten you in trouble, please cast the first stone. Everyone deserves a second chance.

kujhawkfan 4 years, 4 months ago

I sure hope Releford going down with an ankle injury doesn't have anything to do with Little coming back for Big 12 play. It sure seems interesting considering they both have experience playing the 4 spot when we go small.

7texdude 4 years, 4 months ago

Awful decision. No way around it. I' ve lost respect for Self and KU. The next time he talks about the character of this team, I'm going to laugh and laugh. Mario better not lose it again or else he stains his coach and his university.

KEITHMILES05 4 years, 4 months ago

Self gave CJ Giles a second chance and he promptly drug a girl by the hair out of his room. He was also promptly dismissed from the team.

Self has not hesitated to do the right thing.

amesn 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm not by any means condoning what happened that night or trying to imply it is ok to shove a girl either...but this is how I have kind of played it out in my mind. Mario walks in to realize ol girl is cheatin, he's mad, very mad, proceeds to take his anger out on the baseball player with his hands, the girl realizes that her baseball player doesn't have a chance against the good sized Mario and attempts to break up the fight and gets shoved in the process. As far as the sink thing goes, I imagine a similar situation probably played out there and she was shoved into the sink. I could be wrong, I hope I'm not, but those that are trying to say Mario slapped or punched her I believe are blowing things out of proportion. As mentioned above, Bill Self is a professional who knows how to do his job and does it well. Good luck to Mario, but also, don't embarrass us by making another mistake.

Thats_messed_up 4 years, 4 months ago

Sherron Collins sexually assaulted a woman in an elevator 8 months prior to the national title season. KBI lab was "under renovation" so evidence didn't get processed. He should have never played that year. Duh-rell Arthur had his grades changed in high school-"not KU's fault". He should have never played that same season. Morris Twins get drunk freshman year and shoot up an elderly lady on campus with BB guns-"boys being boys no problem". Morris twins and Tyshawn "SmackYoMouth" Taylor beat up the football team and throw them down the stairs between classes then fight them again the next day. No big deal. Morningstar goes to prep school for 3 or 4 years then comes to play at the age of 22. Now he's like 25 with a DUI. He also hit Denis Clemente in the groin during the game against K-State but acted all innocent. Entire bench made racist comments toward Clemente during that game. Little beats girlfriend and others-good to go. Win-at-all-costs at KU. Always has been, always will be.

riverdrifter 4 years, 4 months ago

Prove it. Back up what you say on all accounts.

Cite or shut up.

Mark Zwahl 4 years, 4 months ago

Even if you're right about all of this... I hope you're not this hard on yourself and/or your kids. When did making a mistake become a reason to punish people until "we" feel better? And we all know that what we don't like in others is usually what we don't like in ourselves. I'm guessing you're a hard core disciplinarian with whomever in your life YOU have power over.

squawkhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Wow! That is quite a list and I'm sure it is by no means all inclusive. One incident here and there never seems so bad. But, string them together and you start to see a real problem brewing. Self has lost control of his teams over the years and seems to be more about winning at all costs v. teach street thugs to be real men. Shame on BS!

bad_dog 4 years, 4 months ago

All_messed_up:

A) Talk to the KBI lab, not KU or Self. BTW, you're verging on libel. B) Talk to Arthur's high school teacher/administrators and the NCAA Clearing House, not KU. C) While there was alcohol involved (imagine that conduct from a college freshman...), it was an "Airsoft" gun, the kind children play with and involved the mother of a female swim team member not an "elderly lady", if I recall correctly. Indeed they were poor choices and conduct on their behalf, but they were caught, charged and punished for all offenses. Would you prefer they be incarcerated for 5-10 years? D) Yes, certain members of the BB and FB teams did get into several altercations. One point for you. E) Morningstar graduated from Free State in 2005 and had one season at New Hampton Prep. http://www.kuathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/morningstar_brady00.html And yes, Brady did have a DUI. FYI, not that it makes it appropriate conduct by any measure, however in 2007 (the most recent year I could gather statistics for Kansas DUIs) there were 12,080 DUI arrests in Kansas. Given those numbers there are a lot of people similarly situated to Brady. I'm sure you've never done anything wrong in your life-or is it you've never been caught? http://www.dui-usa.drinkdriving.org/Kansas_dui_drunkdriving_statistics.php F) Post a link from anywhere that substantiates your allegation Brady hit Denise in the groin. Likewise for the racism allegations. They don't exist because it didn't occur. Tim Fitzgerald one of the instigators of the allegation was challenged on this topic and couldn't do anything but stammer and sputter. Why? Again, because it didn't occur. If it did, prove it. The only thing we do know is that Brady "bumped" Denise in the stomach (his words, not mine), in "his house" no less (what an affront) then Denise elbowed him in the neck-a blow that would likely get him ejected today. http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/fe... Denise later threw a punch at Tyrel Reed.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X-yQt... Clemente also got into a "skirmish" out of frustration over his poor play in a tournament in Las Vegas his junior year, I believe.
G) Little was charged as he should have been. He entered into a diversion agreement that he was legally entitled to given the absence of prior offenses. Unless of course, the special treatment KU athletes are entitled to excludes the same rights afforded other citizens, that is.

Pitt_Mackeson 4 years, 4 months ago

People make mistakes. Unlike some of the people posting on Ljworld, Bill Self recognizes this and knows what's best. The best thing to do is give him a second chance. Stop with all the negativity it's giving me an ulcer.

loveroflarry 4 years, 4 months ago

if you pay attention to KU bball, you know that the decision was probably in the works BEFORE Releford got hurt. after all, Little was allowed to travel to the game in which Releford got hurt.

as for this situation and coach's decision: i wasn't there. the prosecutor made a decision, and that is that as they say. he is getting counseling. people deserve second chances, what they do with them is their choice. personally, i believe that our coach is one of the few character guys out there and i trust his judgment as someone with knowledge of the situation and high character.

as for Little, i hope that he makes the best of his chances in life.

kujhawkfan 4 years, 4 months ago

So what that Little traveled with the team? That has nothing to do with playing. We don't need Little and he belongs at the end of the bench. If you paid attention to KU Basketball you would notice that he rarely played to begin with and that was before Selby was in the mix...

loveroflarry 4 years, 4 months ago

well, if he was cleared to travel with the team, he was well on his way back into the good graces; before Releford got hurt. is that the same as playing? no. is it one step toward playing? yes. he was not allowed to travel with the team, and he was not allowed to play. then he was allowed to travel with the team, and now he is allowed to play. small steps toward the current outcome.

i don't think i ever stated that he played a lot, and, in fact, i tend to agree with you on this matter. he didn't play much before, probably would've lost minutes when Selby became eligible; and probably won't play that much now. this actually lends strength to the point that the Releford injury would have nothing to do with his reinstatement--we don't need him, but he was reinstated anyway

amesn 4 years, 4 months ago

Another thing I forgot to mention in my prior posting was that while Mario is a very good player, his absence on the floor doesn't make a huge impact; rather if it were Josh, the twins, or Tyshawn gone from the line up it would make a huge difference. My point is, I doubt Self is going to bend over backwards and softly discipline Mario merely becuz he desperately needs him back in the line up. He simply isn't that much of a high impact player. He does come in handy though if for say the twins and T-rob were all in foul trouble, oh and let's not forget, win games by shooting free throws! Lol

daddax98 4 years, 4 months ago

read much

"“Mario has met the requirements of the court and has received a diversion agreement on the two misdemeanor battery charges,” Self revealed Monday.

Take_a_letter_Maria 4 years, 4 months ago

smitty (anonymous) says… Has Little been to his May court hearing already?

LJW says....Mario has met the requirements of the court and has received a diversion agreement.

That kind of thing happens when you accept responsibility for your actions smitty instead of dragging it out, hiring and firing legal representation. Firing out false accusations and conspiracty theories.

bad_dog 4 years, 4 months ago

"Nothing on his time in front of the court room or any out of court settlement. So where is the story on his agreement with the court? What happened to the May hearing? When did this court action take place?"

This "is" the story regarding his agreement/diversion. Little likely didn't have to appear in Court due to the diversion agreement. If an appearance was required, counsel could do that for him. There is no "out of Court settlement"-this is a criminal case. His agreement is with the Prosecutor's office and will be enforced by the Court should he violate the terms. There will be no May hearing given the diversion. There will be no additional hearings unless Little violates the terms of the agreement.

jonas_opines 4 years, 4 months ago

7texdude 4 years, 4 months ago

Wrong.

I hope Mario keeps out of trouble, but if he doesn't then it will get so ugly here for KU. He will damage what little integrity KU bball has left. It's not worth the risk. Self was right to suspend him, but letting him back on the team is a mistake. KU does not need him to win games.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 4 months ago

My prediction right after the incident was that he'd be back by February. He's about three weeks ahead of that schedule.

Did Self make the right decision? I have no idea. And neither does anyone else posting here.

BigAl 4 years, 4 months ago

The above statement pretty well sums it up. What do some of you want Coach Self to do, shoot him? Hang him? What would be appropriate? He was suspended 4 weeks and now he faces diversion on misdemeanor charges for pushing a woman. Obviously the youing man is a total menace to society. Self is absolutely doing the right thing.

BigAl 4 years, 4 months ago

"Top Secret handling". Wow. I would trust Self more than some of these crazy conspiracy theorists on a message board.

OutlawJHawk 4 years, 4 months ago

amesn is right on. I know few if any men and especially young men that could walk into a room where their girlfirend was in the act with another man and not react. Ultimately and days later most guys would realize their actions were wrong and this is not the type of woman they should want to be with anyway. I cannot think of a better example of a crime of passion or temporary insanity; all have said this is out of character for him. The action was not right, he has accepted responsibility, and he will get whatever the justice system gives him(a diversion). End of story on this off-the-court incident. Now we should all get back to focusing on what is going-on ON the basketball court, including him.

daddax98 4 years, 4 months ago

or maybe you don't understand what a diversion agreement is?

daddax98 4 years, 4 months ago

you obviously don't know what a diversion is, and I am aware of this agreement as is everyone who read this story. the DA enters into hundreds of diversion agreements every year and perhaps you have a different information source then i do but i don't recall any of them reported in the news.

OutlawJHawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, a "prior phone call", thats laughable. Smitty, if you thought your boyfirend was spooning with another, you would not call to let him know you were coming home. You would break the door down, see your life-mate with someone else, and start crying like a baby.

Wayne Propst 4 years, 4 months ago

The young women Little "shoved" worked for the team.... Self said she would return to the team ....when will that be?.....Is she from Chicago?

OutlawJHawk 4 years, 4 months ago

No she is from Kansas. She played HS basketball here somewhere in the Flint Hills and was leading scorer in a few games via the internet. She needs to be kept away from being a manager for any more male teams...send her to the women's team.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 4 months ago

Is it really secret, or has the JW just done a poor job of covering it (meaning the diversion agreement?)

daddax98 4 years, 4 months ago

so your argument is that LJW has covered up a story because they reported it and other news outlets have not? I guess they are hiding the story in plain sight.

Paula Kissinger 4 years, 4 months ago

"smitty (anonymous) replies… But how does the city court get involved in a secreting an agreement for a misdemeanor charge from all of the news outlets? What happened JW?"

This would be what I was talking about before. Of the numerous KU athletes (from all areas of sports) that I was personally involved with or had personal knowledge of NONE of them during the 70's and 80's received any type of judicial sentence other than fines. The AD took care of it all and seems to be back in that business again. The endowment assn., the athletic department and the alumni association can take care of anything. That is the core of the university and if you are deemed worthy you are saved...otherwise you are put out to dry. And you are asking the sole news publication in this city what happened ? Don't get me started on that.

BigAl 4 years, 4 months ago

If the AD, the Endowment Assn, the Athletic Department and the Alumni Association had all this power you speak of, then you wouldn't have heard anything about this arrest in the first place.

It is all a big conspiracy theory and a huge cover up. Mario Little being reinstated as a basketball player will totally destroy your lives. Shocking developments!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 4 months ago

This may have been fast-tracked because of the influence of the athletic department, but from what we know of the incident from the media, diversion is what anyone with no criminal record would have likely received for these offenses.

bangaranggerg 4 years, 4 months ago

This program didn't have any problem dismissing C.J. Giles and J.R. Giddens who showed that they could not learn from their mistakes. So don't act like they've lost control. I couldn't be happier that Rio has met the requirements of the Court and the Basketball program and that he's returned.

Yogi 4 years, 4 months ago

The young man made a mistake and no doubt regrets it and is doing his best to make amends. None of us know the entire facts of the incident. But from all accounts I've read he didn't hit anyone. He pushed a female into a sink. As far as I know she wasn't injured. As anyone looking at this honestly knows, young men and young women often allow their hormones and emotions override their good judgement.I wasn't there so can only imagine that the young lady was likely getting in his face and may have been guilty of over reacting just like Mario was. His testosterone and youth got the better of him and he reacted inappropriately. Its easy for all of us to critize his actions and look down our noses at him. But I'm guessing under the same circumstances and at the same age most of us would have responded similarly. I think we are very fortunate to have a man like Bill Self who carefully weighed all the facts (most of which are unknown to the general public) and made a responsible decision based on what is best for Mario and for the University of Kansas.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 4 months ago

"But I'm guessing under the same circumstances and at the same age most of us would have responded similarly."

I disagree. Thankfully, most of us don't respond that way in such situations.

But that doesn't mean that he shouldn't be able to continue to pursue his college basketball career.

OutlawJHawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Bozo, I assume when you say "us", your are referring to the transgender population.

amesn 4 years, 4 months ago

I just noticed that the ljw might be trying to stir the pot a little too adding a smaller headline to this article stating Travis Releford is questionable for tomorrow's game...naughty naughty :)

squawkhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Bill Self is a disgrace to the university and the fans of KU. He is not a coach and is nothing more than a babysitter for NBA talent. Good job BS!

woodscolt 4 years, 4 months ago

Interesting squawk. Bill Self's Track record doesn't match your wining. I say your problem lies within. Maybe you could seek some help from friends or a self help group.

squawkhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Woods, I know of a good elementary school teach who could probably, with time, teach you the proper use of and spelling of the word "whining". Glad to see paid attention in school.

xclusive85 4 years, 4 months ago

If you are going to correct someone's spelling, you could at least make sure to use correct grammar.

squawkhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

You mean like burying your head in the sand to avoid the mess and corruption that KU BB is?

OutlawJHawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Squawk, I'll take a babysitter for NBA talent and national championships any day of the week.

onehawkoneshock 4 years, 4 months ago

Smitty is working way too hard to find a conspiracy theory. In the community I work in, a diversion agreement is nothing more than a matter of paperwork between the prosecutor's office and the defendant and their attorney. It does not require a court appearance. Once all parties have signed the agreement, it is filed with the court and any previously scheduled court dates are removed from the court calendar. There are no notices to the press. If someone is checking the court filings daily, they would see that something had been filed, but it is a routine court matter. This is not the KU athletic department influencing the court system.

Judgesmails 4 years, 4 months ago

WELCOME BACK MARIO !!!

Thank you coach for allowing him back.

Pushing someone does not justify being kicked-off the team..........big deal....

ranger73 4 years, 4 months ago

Maybe the jusdge should have had Mario waterboarded or strung up by his hands and flogged. So all of you were definite outspoken supporters of Coach Gill when he instituted the 10pm curfew of his players right? I'm sure no one posting was ever young and stupid and made a mistake since everyone here is perfect. Court said he is ok, coach said he is ok, so let him play. I'd hate to see the court of opinion here on Coach if he wasn't winning...

JayDocMD 4 years, 4 months ago

off the subject but... Deandre Daniels? Anyone heard anything new?

squawkhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, he's a thug too. More trouble on the way.

woodscolt 4 years, 4 months ago

Bill Self also has to be a father figure as well as a coach to the players he brings in. Self disciplined Mario substantially already. By allowing him to rejoin the team and play, Self can use this as a learning situation for Mario and you can bet he is on probation. He will have to behave like a saint from here on out. This means the next time he thinks about pushing someone around he will surely avoid doing so. Thus, Self has put Mario in a position to be more mature next time. Part of the learning process. I nor Self nor Mario by now condone his behavior and I hope the people affected by it are all doing ok.

Shame on you Mario, but welcome back.

squawkhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Right on Woods...especially the "shame on you" part.

hammerhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

" He also hit Denis Clemente in the groin during the game against K-State but acted all innocent."

Hey. I kind like that comment- especially considering the opponent! It's always good when a guy has a little spirit out on the court and smacks around a kstayter or two.

However, I don't like being rude to women and Mario got what was coming to him for his rash action. He has paid the penalty - legally and team-wise. Now it's time to move on. Cut the guy some slack. Nobody is perfect. I say "welcome back, big guy". Now play and act smart.

squawkhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Hammer, obviously you don't have a daughter. If you did you might have a different opinion and could quit living vicariously through KU BB thugs.

jhawks1234 4 years, 4 months ago

ahh here is the "you don't have a daughter" rant.

OutlawJHawk 4 years, 4 months ago

If I did have a daughter, I am not so sure I would be proud of her for sleeping around with a number of KU athletes at the same time.

bad_dog 4 years, 4 months ago

Or perhaps she wasn't an "EX" until the events under discussion occurred?

You have no idea what Little knew or was thinking at the time this occurred. You are living in a world of conspiracy theory and pontification. Give it a rest-please?

2002 4 years, 4 months ago

Surprise, the LJW is up to it again...slamming KU athletics. Do you really think that is a coincidence that the headline about Little and the sub head about Releford are not meant to suggest a correlation? Personally, I don't think that they are related at all. But that isn't really the issue. I don't expect the local newspaper to kiss up to KU in any way, but I do expect that it won't be used as a forum to tear down.

squawkhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

2002, what's not to slam? If KU athletes would keep their noses clean then they wouldn't find themselves as fodder in the LJWorld. And since when did simply and unbiasly reporting the news become slamming KU athletics anyway?

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 4 months ago

Here's an update with details on the diversion agreement Little reached with the city prosecutor's office. Apologies it took so long to get. City Prosecutor Jerry Little (no relation) had jury duty today and was unavailable:

Jonathan Kealing

huskerpower 4 years, 4 months ago

Something for all the HCBS doubters....

How many of you could spend a few of hours around a kid, watch some game film, and then determine whether or not they will get in trouble while they were at KU. Don't forget your job depends on bringing in the absolute best talent in the nation EVERY year.

Now let me ask you this. How many of Self's players have been in trouble over the past few years (elevator incident, bb gun incident, DUI, etc...)? How many of them are repeat offenders or have gotten in trouble since?

Self has a job to do and frankly I think he does a damn good job. He's one of the best at what he does. I'm talking top 10. How many of you can say that about your job?

black_butterfly 4 years, 4 months ago

4everahawk 4 years, 4 months ago

squawkhawk: if I had a daughter I would hope that she had the common sense and decency to not be messing around with several men at the same time, all athletes and not expect to get caught. From all I've heard, he didn't physically hurt her. She may have been scared half to death, but hopefully she won't want to feel that way again, so perhaps this will help her clean up her act as well. I hope Mario has learned from this experience and will manage his anger better and also make better choices of girlfriends.

jayhawklawrence 4 years, 4 months ago

Terrific news. Mario is a great kid and a terrific ball player.

But two strikes and you are out...