Archive for Thursday, January 6, 2011

Public officials warn against snorting bath salts to get high

January 6, 2011

Bath Salts

• Bath salts are legal, commercially available substances that contain a synthetic chemical, Methylene Dioxy Pyrovalerone, or MDPV.
  • When ingested, MDPV mimics the effects of amphetamines, and can produce a hallucinogenic high similar to ecstasy.
  • Brand names for the product include Cloud Nine, Red Dove, Vanilla Sky, Lunar Wave, Ivory Wave and Hurricane Charlie.
  • Negative effects reported include psychosis, self-harm, intense cravings, increased heart rate, as well as a potential for causing seizures and cardiac arrest.
  • The products can be purchased at stores or online, and costs about $50 for a 500 milligram supply.
  • If someone experiences negative effects after ingesting bath salts, officials suggest calling 911. For more information on bath salts, contact the Kansas Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222, or visit www.aapcc.org.

Last year Kansas and Missouri banned the synthetic marijuana-like substance K2 as the once-legal product gained popularity in the region. Manufacturers responded with altered versions such as K3.

Now public health officials are warning about the latest legal way to get high: snorting bath salts.

Salina police issued a warning about the practice following the death of a Kansas University student who was struck by a vehicle after running into traffic. Police found bath salts containing methylenedioxypyrovalerone, or MDPV, in the student’s possession and are awaiting toxicology results on whether he had ingested the substance prior to the incident.

Health officials report that the substance can cause delusions and confusion, in addition to increased heart rate and potentially seizures or cardiac arrest.

In 2010, family and friends of a Cameron, Mo., man who committed suicide attributed his death to an addiction to bath salts.

The active substance in the bath salts — which go by brand names such as Cloud Nine, Ocean Snow and Lunar Wave — is amphetamine-like and mimics the effects of ecstasy, said KU medicinal chemistry professor Tom Prisinzano.

“They’re basically just amphetamine derivatives,” he said.

Prisinzano said a legal chemical is applied to the bath salts in a similar way to how synthetic cannaboids were sprayed on herbal mixtures to make products like K2.

It amounts to a creative way to make legal versions of illegal drugs, he said.

“They’re getting around the drug laws,” Prisinzano said, adding concerns about what may actually be in the bath salts. “There’s no quality assurance.”

American Association of Poison Control Centers reported that the bath salts are crushed up and snorted, and even injected in at least one case.

Reports of bath salt ingestion are popping up around the country. Jessica Wehrman, a spokeswoman for the AAPCC, said poison control centers in the United States reported 232 calls about bath salts in 2010. Through Thursday, Wehrman said centers had already received 50 calls about bath salts in 2011.

A spokesman for the Kansas Poison Control Center said they have not received any calls about bath salts. But Julie Weber, director of the Missouri Poison Center, said that the center received eight calls about bath salts in 2010 and already five calls in 2011.

The AAPCC release came with stern warnings about not ingesting bath salts, which are labeled “not for human consumption.”

“This is an emerging health threat that needs to be taken seriously,” said Alvin C. Bronstein, medical director of the Rocky Mountain Poison Control Centers.

Law enforcement officials say they haven’t yet seen bath salts pop up in Lawrence.

“We are aware of it and know that it could affect us in the future,” said Sgt. Matt Sarna of the Lawrence Police Department.

It’s unclear whether the product is sold at any Lawrence-area stores, but reports have indicated that the product is widely available in the Kansas City area and can also be purchased online.

Comments

Erin Graham 3 years, 6 months ago

Yes, it's a problem.. but people are always going to find a way to get their kick, if that's what they choose to do. Let's ban nutmeg, too while we're at it!

SWJayhawk13 3 years, 6 months ago

I saw a news report about that a few weeks ago. I would never think to snort nutmeg...but then again I'd never think to snort bath salts either haha. People come up with creative ways to get high (or at least try to get high), that's for sure.

kawrivercrow 3 years, 6 months ago

I have never been able to get pure nutmeg. I did try to smoke some pumpkin pie over the holidays but it wouldn't stay lit.

candyapplered 3 years, 6 months ago

I hear you can get high smoking spanish peanut shells and banana peels.

dncinnanc 3 years, 6 months ago

Whatever happened to just letting Darwinism do its thing... snorting bath salts?? Really??

KU_cynic 3 years, 6 months ago

I agree entirely, dncinnanc. Anyone dumb enough for this should exit the gene pool.

notanoobhere 3 years, 6 months ago

Absolutely let them die. Weed them out of the gene pool.

fkalich 3 years, 6 months ago

Personally I would like to see the illegal mind altering substance criminal culture put to bed, just let them have whatever they want in abundance. We have nearly 7 billion of the species on a planet that can perhaps sustain at best 1/3 of that in the long run in any healthy fashion. Those who want to voluntarily check out early, using salt, drugs, whatever, give them a big thank you. So legalize all the other garbage, and they won't have to use the salts, they will get the real stuff, and can kill themselves that way. And maybe half of our violent crime goes away as a result. Seems like a win-win to me.

Ken Lassman 3 years, 6 months ago

Except for the fact that they like to get behind the wheel of a car and take out a couple of innocents and somehow aren't injured at all themselves. Or wreak havoc on their neighbors by stealing to support their habit, destroying their rental home, and leaving toxic waste behind in their attempts to make the junk, not have a job, etc. etc.

alm77 3 years, 6 months ago

and lets don't forget dumb kids do dumb things and don't deserve to die over it.

"Weed out the gene pool"? Really? and then what? Leave heartless bastards to populate the planet?

greenworld 3 years, 6 months ago

I wonder what K3 is?? I heard of K2 but good lord this all is becoming very mind boggling and making me paranoid. I better stop talking about it. So i wonder what will happen when the number gets up to K9 , is that when you sit around and get your dog high??

Fossick 3 years, 6 months ago

I'd like to warn against smelling my finger to get high. Not only does it not work, it smells.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 6 months ago

I think you can get a buzz from drinking beer, I wonder how much longer beer will be legal.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 6 months ago

This is going to do wonders for the sales of bath salts. Just like K2, it was something that very few people had even heard of until they read about it here.

Free advertising in the newspaper. Was it on the front page of the print edition?

Mean_Green 3 years, 6 months ago

Isn't it great that the LJW posted this so any kid with an internet connection and a desire to test a new way to get "delusional and confused" can make a run to the store and try it out? Great reporting!

nobody1793 3 years, 6 months ago

try typing "legal ways to get high" into google.

LJW is only informing out-of-touch adults about this. Kids don't read the news.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 6 months ago

Oh wow nobody, I had no idea! I just tried that. omg, as the kids would say!

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 6 months ago

A good one: Exercise is the best way to get high legally. Runners high comes with more intense and longer workouts!

Now exercise is going to be the next thing the lawmakers are going to make illegal.

Better do it while it's still legal, kids!

drewnon 3 years, 6 months ago

The (obvious) joke of banning things like exercise and even beer are ridiculous. I've done my share of counter culture activities, and trust me when I say things like this need to be killed quick. Any of the legal high crap that comes from a gas station is bad. At least with currently illegal drugs we know how bad they are. The purity of illegal drugs is probably better than the purity of these kind of drugs. SWIM knows from experience, you don't want %^&* that's going to kill someone, and would rather not have anything that is completely useless.

CloveK 3 years, 6 months ago

Really? I read this information on national sites before here. Listen to nobody, here lmgtfy.com.

Bladerunner 3 years, 6 months ago

Wow....Huge lines at Bed, Bath, and Beyond my Budget..........Word must be out!

ronwell_dobbs 3 years, 6 months ago

Didn't Darwin weigh in on this several centuries ago?

Corey Williams 3 years, 6 months ago

You're in Kansas. It's not wise to mention Darwin.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 6 months ago

Sounds like a self-correcting problem.

greenworld 3 years, 6 months ago

i thought sex was like getting high isnt it?? And isnt it safe??

dumbkansans 3 years, 6 months ago

doing bumps of this stuff as i type. got a few rails lined up for later tonight!

grimpeur 3 years, 6 months ago

Effervescence, indeed!

Also, 'nother news flash for ya: glowing ember enemas, while fashionable nowadays, are not as cleansing as they sound.

pizzapete 3 years, 6 months ago

One more reason to legalize the weed?

Stuart Evans 3 years, 6 months ago

I believe that they'll use this as one more reason to criminalize something else. I don't think anything illegal ever becomes legal again. our government doesn't seem to get rid of outdated, backwards, archaic, and immoral laws very well.

Stuart Evans 3 years, 6 months ago

there's 1.. out of how many laws, and how many years?

CloveK 3 years, 6 months ago

This is getting ridiculous. For the love of God can we just legalize pot? Tax it, control it, yadi yadi yadi... it has all been said before. People are not going to stop trying to find ways to beat the system. It is a fact of life.

I would much rather people be using a regulated substance for recreational purpose than trying out the next new concoction that will get them high and not show up on a drug test.

There is no logic in the legislation, only BS politics and money.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 3 years, 6 months ago

I really need to work on my reading comprehension. I just went through a whole bag of driveway ice-melt.

TopJayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

It's a good way to keep icecycles out of your shorts though.

Stuart Evans 3 years, 6 months ago

I bet that they've been making the ladies hallucinate for decades. Calgon take me away, type of thing.

somedude20 3 years, 6 months ago

I am just going to throw this out there, do not drink radiator fluid for a high as it does not work and leaves you with green vomit and it aint easy being green yuns guys

ranger7272 3 years, 6 months ago

I love bath salts!! In my bath.....

Kontum1972 3 years, 6 months ago

try Comet...those blue crystals will pulverize ya!

Kontum1972 3 years, 6 months ago

mountain lion droppings will give ya a buzz too

alm77 3 years, 6 months ago

I hope you meant "by mistake" and not "my mistake". yikes

Scott Kaiser 3 years, 6 months ago

Snorting bath salts? Goodness, what's next? Licking toads?

PleaseStopPPL 3 years, 6 months ago

Whens this gonna stop? this system is so screwed up that it's just a vicious cycle that will never end! this is whats gonna happen, not what i THINKS gonna happen. this "drug" is gonna get too much attention by awsome reporters like this who describe it as "LEGAL high" this report wont warn nobody just make more curiosity out there, which will then result in more use then more deaths and damage, then to a nation wide ban, and then were moving on to the next legal way for it to start all over. First of all to the reporter BAD RESEARCH! they're not really bath salts, thats what they have to be sold as for thats the use this stuff was cleared for sale (the loophole in the legal sale of this) that and the wonderful fda clearing the chem MDPV but anyways i have LOTS to say about this so if your really concerned or you wanna know more about this please don't hesitate to e-mail me at guynextdoor746@AIM.com for i have done my research on this fully with no shortcuts or taking peoples word on it. just please try not to post or comment or put anything on the web about this stuff being a drug or legal high or anything that will intice people more because people looking to get high dont look at the horrible things it does they just see "wow i can go to the gas station and get a legal jar of meth"...by the way i'm not from around here not sure what newspaper im posting in just catching the poor reporting about this(which is everywhere) and trying to make it right!

Kris_H 3 years, 6 months ago

What? If you want "delusions and confusion", just watch Glen Beck for more than five minutes.

The best natural high is still sex. :)