Archive for Wednesday, January 5, 2011

State Rep. Anthony Brown criticizes Lawrence, KU

Brown makes remark while being hosted at downtown event

January 5, 2011

Kansas Rep. TerriLois Gregory talks about budget challenges for the state

Kansas Rep. TerriLois Gregory talks with LJWorld.com reporter Scott Rothschild at the Legislative Priorities Breakfast at Macelli's, 1031 N. H., on Wednesday, Jan. 5. Gregory says the budget will be the main issue for 2011. Enlarge video

Kansas Rep. Ann Mah talks about challenges facing the state budget

State Rep. Ann Mah talks with LJWorld.com reporter Scott Rothschild at the Legislative Priorities Breakfast at Macelli's, 1031 N. H., on Wednesday, Jan. 5. Mah says the budget will be the main issue for 2011. Enlarge video

State Rep. Anthony Brown, R-Eudora, on Wednesday chastised Lawrence and Kansas University during the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce legislative priorities breakfast.

"KU and Lawrence are not very well-respected," said Brown.

He said many people across the state see Lawrence as too liberal. Brown said he sees signs in local businesses that read "Free Republic of Lawrence."

"That needs to change," he said.

State Rep. Barbara Ballard, D-Lawrence, however, defended her hometown as one that recognizes equal rights for all.

"Maybe Lawrence is the conscience of the state," Ballard said. "Every community is different. Ours is different," she said.

Their comments came during the chamber event at Maceli's that was attended by more than 150 people. The 2011 legislative session starts Monday with Gov.-elect Sam Brownback, a Republican, and a much larger Republican majority in the Legislature taking office.

Several legislators praised the work that KU does, but said public universities need to do a better job of letting the Legislature know about their successes.

"The universities need to do a full-court press on the Legislature and tell them how they are creating jobs," said state Sen. Tom Holland, D-Baldwin City.

Higher education has been cut $100 million over the past two years because of tanking tax revenues that have caused cuts across most state programs.

The state still faces an estimated $550 million budget deficit, but that could grow to $850 million if a group of House Republicans have their way and repeal the 1-cent state sales tax increase that was approved during the last legislative session and went into effect July 1.

Brown said he will push for repeal of the sales tax increase and said there is a good chance the Senate will approve it too, which would leave the matter up to Brownback.

But Brownback has said he doesn't want to repeal the tax increase. He found an ally Wednesday in House Democratic Leader Paul Davis of Lawrence. "I praise Gov.-elect Brownback for standing by the Legislature and resisting attempts to repeal that," he said.

Earlier in the program, Mayor Mike Amyx said the Brownback administration should look at Lawrence for examples of how communities develop businesses. "We can be the model," he said.

Other legislators who spoke at the event were state Sen. Marci Francisco, D-Lawrence, state Reps. Tom Sloan, R-Lawrence, and Ann Mah, D-Topeka, and state Rep.-elect TerriLois Gregory, R-Baldwin City.

Comments

Bob Forer 4 years, 6 months ago

Well, Anthony Brown, I have no respect for you. So there. Now go ahead and crawl back into the hole of intolerance you crawled out of.

PittStatePrincess 4 years, 6 months ago

Sychophant,

I hope you aren't jumping to conclusions. You might want to look at the online newspaper Eudora Reporter. Looks like they interviewed Rep. Brown and they have the whole story: http://www.EudoraReporter.com

whats_going_on 4 years, 6 months ago

That doesn't change my opinion. What a snake...I imagine that KU/Lawrence businesses put the signs there (although I can't remember seeing one...) and have no questions as to why they would be chastised about it, or care, for that matter.

foppa 4 years, 6 months ago

It's a Eudora paper giving the man from Eudora a chance to defend himself and they even have people from Eudora to back him up. I don't know who to trust here.

Jock Navels 4 years, 6 months ago

EastCoastRox 4 years, 6 months ago

I grew up in Lawrence -- but moved away many years ago to the East Coast. I can assure you that the view of Kansas from outside Kansas is dim indeed. I visit my family there & check the newspaper occasionally and saw this article -- comments like Mr. Brown's do not help improve the perception from afar.

Danimal 4 years, 6 months ago

I've lived on both coasts and found them to be cesspools populated by ignorant, rude, and completely self-absorbed trash. I moved back to the Midwest about five and half years ago, and I love it. Like it or not the future of America is largely determined by what happens out here. Years of drought, the country, and the whole world starves. All the nation's major transportation infrastructure runs through this area as well. That's something that's gong to be of increasing strategic importance since we gave the Panama Canal back to the Panamanians and they sold it to the Chinese. Feel free to move back when the East Coast is swallowed by the rising Atlantic, we'd love to have you. Lawrence is something of a liberal town (by Kansas standards), but it's also a shining example of some of the best that our state has to offer. I've never seen Kansas as a conservative state, but a fairly moderate place with traditional leanings. If you want to see what I think of as a Conservative (that's right, capital "C") place to live, move to the South, I've lived there too. I've always been disgusted by the elitism of and disdain the coasts have for the middle of our country. Frankly, we should stop letting them eat the food we produce, use the oil, gas and coal we extract, and use of our transportation corridors for about a month and then check see how they're doing. We'll be fine without them, but they desperately need us, and maybe it's time to remind them.
Now that my rant is complete I'm going to have some dark chocolate with mint filling.

jafs 4 years, 6 months ago

Wow!

I've lived on both coasts, and grew up in NYC. I found people there to be interesting, honest, and diverse.

There is also a tremendous amount of high quality art and culture available, which is much harder to find in the Midwest.

If the Midwest stopped "letting" the coasts buy their products, who would they sell them to?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 6 months ago

" That doesn't make me "intolerant" but someone with a different opinion."

No, but you display your general lack of tolerance quite frequently around here.

emceelean 4 years, 6 months ago

His suggestion that "(Lawrence) needs to change" seems intolerant. He seeks to alter the sole bastion of liberalism in this state, but to what gain? Eliminating the minority (no matter how vehemently you oppose it) weakens the democratic process.

Rep. Brown should appreciate that his detractors' existence is token at best.

Sig 4 years, 6 months ago

Blanket statement of liberal = "wrong" is not intolerant?

emceelean 4 years, 6 months ago

Not that I endorse the notion, but no. It is not intolerant. The gentleman has merely expressed his opinion.

verity 4 years, 6 months ago

And an opinion can't be intolerant?

Liberty275 4 years, 6 months ago

For instance: "Fred Phelps is a idiot for believing such a thing as a god exists". Is that intolerant?

Daniel Speicher 4 years, 6 months ago

I believe, in fact, that is exactly where intolerance begins is at an individual opinion level.

--Danny Speicher

monheim 4 years, 5 months ago

No, calling someone "wrong" does not make you intolerant, at least not in and of itself. It just means that you...well, think they are wrong.

Now, if you go on to suggest that someone doesn't have a right to their opinion or suggest that Lawrence has no place in Kansas because of it's citizens' political views...now you are entering "intolerant" territory.

kernal 4 years, 6 months ago

Surely you're old enough to be familiar with the phrase, "calling the kettle black".

We love and care about KS and the people who live here, it's just that many of you are subjective to hornswoggling.

somedude20 4 years, 6 months ago

it is no longer pc to call the kettle black any longer try Kettle American

TopJayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

My aren't you the arrogent one. Maybe you are being hornswoggled. And how is one "subjective" to this.

dannop 4 years, 6 months ago

kansanjayhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

Diversity should be reflected at our institutions receiving federal funds. Diversity includes different ways of thinking--including conservatism--KU needs more conservative teachers and staff.

sinedie 4 years, 6 months ago

What a useless comment by Mr. Brown. Instead of discussing the actual policy issues that matter to people, he throws out a label and thinks he made a point. It doesn't take any brain power to call somebody a name. Tell us why your ideas are better. But again, that would require thinking.

WilburM 4 years, 6 months ago

Actually, even though I disagree with Rep. Brown, he did discuss policy issues and the implications of cutting $800 million if the sales tax were repealed. He clearly does not value public education as much as many others do, and believes fervently that the private sector will do well if we reduce taxes even further on business. And reflects a clear GOP majority in this Legislature.

davidnta 4 years, 6 months ago

Well let me say that I disagree with your conservative opinion because I think you're wrong :)

thepianoman 4 years, 6 months ago

WOW. What a potent statement. I completely disagree with this man. Not all conservative Republicans would agree with him --- because I don't!!! I am a 29-year-old conservative Republican and find Lawrence to be an exciting, energizing college town. I live in a rurual area (Oskaloosa) and look froward to making weekend trips to Lawrence for food, friends, KU athletics and other forms of entertainment.

Yes, Lawrence is Liberal. Am I? Nope. Conservative all the way. One can be a CR and still enjoy what Lawrence has to offer. On the flip side, one can be Liberal and live in a rural area, small town, etc.

I digress........

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 6 months ago

Good comments, piano man. I know quite a number of liberals who prefer living in small towns.

whats_going_on 4 years, 6 months ago

nicely said, and thank you for looking beyond party lines.

rbs 4 years, 6 months ago

Hear, hear, pianoman. . . I do not agree that his statments are that of "many" or "most" people. I am from a rural town in the northern United States, and I truly appreciate my small town, agricultural roots. And then I came to Lawrence to attend KU, which is a great school. I very much appreciate the liberal nature of Lawrence, but I know A LOT of conservative residents who enjoy it just the same.

Oh, and if the legislature can't see KU's successes that are usually reported in the NEWSPAPER, then . . . well. . . maybe they need to pay more attention. . . or read more news. . . I don't know.

I have no respect for these ignorant comments, but we are in the US, and even I will defend his right to say them. . .

MyName 4 years, 6 months ago

Hardly the most idiotic statement I've heard from a KS Rep, but I think anyone with half a brain would realize that Eudora would hurt if KU and Lawrence wasn't here and wasn't the way it is.

Teri Chambers 4 years, 6 months ago

As a resident of Eudora and an employee of KU, I agree! There is a good sized portion of Eudorans who are employeed by KU.

Didn't KU students help with the rebulding of Greensbug? There are other things KU has done for the state. KU needs to do a better job of selling to the rest of Kansans (not just legislators) what we do for for the state-create jobs, rebuild cities, educate doctors for small towns, etc.

livinginlawrence 4 years, 6 months ago

The quote from the article that really irks me is Brown's "That needs to change." Assuming the article hasn't taken the line out of context and he is in fact labeling the liberal inclinations of Lawrencians as that which ought to change, his attitude in no way resembles that which one would hope to have in office.

Scott Bonnet 4 years, 6 months ago

Comments from Mr. Brown show he has no sense of reality. I have found that most Kansans admire KU and the Lawrence community. As an Emporian, I look forward to every opportunity to get down on Mass St. Mr. Brown's comments betray the sort of ignorance we find when we refuse to associate with those with whom we differ. As a radical centrist Republican, I am tired of the irrational hatred directed at all people, things and places not aligned with the far right. Good gravy Eudora, is this guy the best you can offer?

tolawdjk 4 years, 6 months ago

Where is Eudora anyway? I thought they were unincorporated?

RonBurgandy 4 years, 6 months ago

Thank goodness I moved out of this moron's district. How does one show a complete lack of common sense and judgement? Ask Mr. Brown.

1029 4 years, 6 months ago

Once we have control, we could build the new homeless shelter there, develop a new Douglas County trash dump, etc. And we'll also be better positioned to keep an eye on Johnson County should they ever decide to try anything.

Michael Stanclift 4 years, 6 months ago

Oh trust me, we're going to try something, sometime... but right now we're too busy eating out at all the restaurants and shopping at all the businesses that the Lawrence city commission won't let in, to care.

overthemoon 4 years, 6 months ago

you are welcome to your chain restaurants who take their profits back to Atlanta or Dallas or where ever.

TecmoSuperBowlChristianOkoye 4 years, 6 months ago

Compare the growth rate of Lawrence to those of the rural communities of western Kansas and tell me why "that needs to change." Sadly, there are those that use to political leanings of Lawrence as a reason to punish the town and the university financially and then wonder why so many young and educated Kansans flee the state upon graduation.

thatonedude 4 years, 6 months ago

"Why aren't you like the rest of the state? This upsets me! Be exactly like us, or else you don't count!"

whats_going_on 4 years, 6 months ago

thats what I got out of it too....why do we NEED to be like the rest of this godforsaken state? : The second that happens, I'm out.

Kirk Larson 4 years, 6 months ago

Just like California, Lawrence blazes the trail that the rest of the slow-pokes will eventually follow. Too liberal? Not liberal enough if you ask me.

Thunderdome 4 years, 6 months ago

Let's not get carried away. Lawrence is more progressive than the rest of the state and that is one reason why I live here. But being the most progressive city in Kansas is roughly equivalent to being the tallest mountain in Kansas. This town's leaders talk a good game, but rarely does anything substantively progressive or novel occur.

TopJayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Plus when you get down to it. Lawrence does not practice what they preach. They talk a good game, but actions speak louder than words. As you all know I am a conservative. I like to poke at the libs as much as they do us. But I like Lawrence, and enjoy going there. My best friend is a liberal. We argue and fight, and have a great time togather. Love you guys, warts and all. And yes Brown is a tool pandering for votes.

tolawdjk 4 years, 6 months ago

Wasn't Eudora where a black man was arrested for suspiciously mowing a yard?

kernal 4 years, 6 months ago

Why, yes, tolawdjk. Actions speak louder than words. Anthony Brown is Eudora.

verity 4 years, 6 months ago

More laughter and/or agreement with the last four comments. At the least you can say that liberals have a sense of humor.

jafs 4 years, 6 months ago

"many people across the state see Lawrence as too liberal"

This may be a true statement, but so what? Fortunately, we don't live in a country in which "many people" can dictate to the rest of us what to do or how to think.

It is unfortunate that "many people" in this country seem to have forgotten that we are not a simple "majority wins" country - there are fundamental rights guaranteed by the Constitution, and a system of checks and balances.

There was certainly a time when "many people" in the South thought that slavery was just fine.

lilygrace 4 years, 6 months ago

OMG. I live in Eudora. I am about as liberal as one can get. Mr. Brown is apparently a dim bulb just like most of the other residents in Kansas. After living in various Kansas communities, Douglas County is the only place in this gosh-awful State that I can stand to live in. If my spouse didn't have a business in Lawrence, I would have left this h-hole a long time ago.

Graczyk 4 years, 6 months ago

Gee. Could you tell us the name of your husband's business? I can't wait to frequent it, seeing as how it goes to support someone who thinks so highly of my community and all. You might need marketing lessons. ;)

lilygrace 4 years, 6 months ago

My husband doesn't "support" me. I make my own income. :)

TopJayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

dlowell 4 years, 6 months ago

Who bases their respect for a place and community solely on their political leanings, honestly? Living in Lawrence for four years while I attended KU, my love for the place was never based on the political beliefs of its people.

However, I do agree with Brown that the perception of Lawrence as "TOO liberal" needs to change. Not the actual beliefs of those who live there, but the perceptions of others. Because that perception is definitely wrong. A lot of Lawrence's people might be liberal, but it's not like it's Soviet Russia, or even San Francisco. It's still very much Kansas.

verity 4 years, 6 months ago

Will the state districts be changed as a result of the 2010 census? If so, Brown might find at least part of Lawrence in his district---

It's one thing to say that the rest of the state sees Lawrence and KU as being too liberal. It's quite another to say that it needs to change. That is making a very big and unwarranted jump.

Stephen Roberts 4 years, 5 months ago

He already has some of Lawrence in his district.

BigDog 4 years, 6 months ago

Cappy, given the budget/economic situation in California; the fleeing of people/businesses from California..... I sure hope we don't model ourselves after California. But I digress.

If anyone has been around Anthony very long you would know that he is not a deep thinker and makes a lot of these kinds of statements. He is correct that many legislators do view Lawrence much differently than other Democratic areas within the state.

Anthony regularly makes statements that don't match up with reality as most see it. There will be an attempt to kill the sales tax increase. It is a bit iffy that it would pass the House, it will not pass the Senate. The Senate President, Majority Leader and enough Senators oppose the idea that it will not happen. That group along with Democratic Senators have enough intelligence to know that filling a $550 million hole is going to be difficult without adding another $300+ million hole if sales taxes lowered.

blindrabbit 4 years, 6 months ago

As a "liberal Republican" I opt for dropping the word "liberal". It has been muck-raked ad nauseum by the inward looking conservatives. I consider myself and my like thinking compadres as "Progressives". In that case the opposition should be labeled as "Regressives".

Ksfoxes 4 years, 6 months ago

Funny that people love calling themselves progressives so much. What are progressives wanting to progress towards or away from? The more progressive we get the less freedom and choice we have.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 6 months ago

I read something like this and I think "Heck, ANYONE can be in government. I should run. I can't be any dumber than that guy."

I'm as conservative as they come, but that statement wasn't conservative, it was just plain dumb.

Liberals have a right to be liberal. It makes no sense to say "Lawrence is a problem because it refuses to join the homogamy of the rest of the State."

Eudora has tripled in size in the past 20 years because of Lawrence's growth. He has a "problem" with that?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 6 months ago

I could sit and post all day on how many different ways this guy is wrong. He sits in the very shadow of KU and Lawrence and says we aren't respected?

The only reason why Eudora has running water is because we flush our toilets every day in Lawrence. That is, of course, a metaphor, but it carries more truth than what Mr. Brown said.

lilygrace 4 years, 6 months ago

You probably don't know how close to the truth you are about Eudora's water. I have never lived where the water has visible white floaty matter in it. It clogs the pipes, the shower head, the water filter in the refrigerator, and apparently the brains of people like Mr. Brown wo drink it.

AnglNSpurs 4 years, 6 months ago

Its hard water, Eudora has historically had very hard water, it is from the calcium the city puts in to clean it. If it bothers you so much, take it up with the City, or you can get a softner, that should solve it for you.

Adrienne Sanders 4 years, 6 months ago

I would like to see his evidence that KU & Lawrence are so disliked by the rest of the state. So far, all I see is a statement of his own opinion. I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't like Lawrence but I'm not sure it's an overwhelming opinion like this guy seems to think.

TopJayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Actually most Topekans don't dislike Larrytown. We just respond in kind when you guys try to blame us for all of your problems. It goes both ways.

enofaed 4 years, 6 months ago

anthony.brown@house.ks.gov

p>anthony.brown@house.ks.gov>

For anybody interested, Rep. Brown can be reached here. Im sure he would love to hear some of your opinions.

Bob_Keeshan 4 years, 6 months ago

Which is why Douglas County is growing faster than all but one Kansas county, while dozens of Kansas counties lost more than 10% of their population over the last 10 years.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 6 months ago

People like Mr. Brown, who evidently did not have the opportunity or ability to pursue higher education, frequently resent those who did.

It's called envy.

Bob_Keeshan 4 years, 6 months ago

Lawrence is kooky and liberal, eh?

Now, why is that? Because Lawrence banned smoking? Well, Salina banned smoking before Lawrence did.

Is it because Lawrence bans "personal" behavior? Well, Manhattan has banned talking on cell phones while driving. Lawrence has not.

Is it because of loose moral laws? Well, several cities in Johnson County allowed Sunday sales of alcohol before Lawrence did.

Seems like most of it is just name calling, so shame on anyone who takes name calling to be fact. Here's something real to think about -- Douglas County is the 2nd fastest growing community in the state.

That's amazing, given how "the rest of Kansas" is so turned off by the kooks and liberals in Lawrence. Several Kansas counties lost a double-digit percentage of their population over the last 10 years. Maybe Rep. Brown and those who think like him should be looking at what is wrong in those communities instead.

Bob_Keeshan 4 years, 6 months ago

You know who fought WalMart years before Lawrence did? Olathe.

Olathe did.

Nothing about Lawrence looks so strange that people aren't moving here. What looks so strange about the rest of Kansas that people are moving out?

Flap Doodle 4 years, 6 months ago

What Kansas town besides Lawrence has had a foot-in-a-bucket incident?

kansasmom 4 years, 6 months ago

Pretty POSITIVE this wasn't said by Rep Brown. Just another reporter trying to start something.

kernal 4 years, 6 months ago

If your statement wasn't so ludicrous, it would be funny. If Rep. Brown didn't say that, then he needs to speak up, or apologize.

thinkagain 4 years, 6 months ago

Lawrence actually has EXPERIENCED business growth. Even though, Anthony Brown's district, includes part of Johnson County, I'm not sure any of the parts he represents have experienced business growth. And if Johnson County doesn't like "liberal" Lawrence, maybe they should stay home on game day and send their kids to college in Wichita.

kernal 4 years, 6 months ago

Your comment just made them better than you.

jayhawklawrence 4 years, 6 months ago

Really sad comments by an elected State Representative and very ignorant.

And that is our impression of the Kansas State Legislature.

kansasreason 4 years, 6 months ago

The biggest mistake made by most who read Brown's statements is to presume he thinks before he speaks or has any awareness about what is going on around him. I have followed his political career from the beginning (and over the Legislature webcams where he is often napping and picking his nose in committee) and I can assure all of you there isn't a light on upstairs. He just blabs whatever sounds trendy or easy. I wouldn’t even give him enough credit to have fully read or comprehended the Sarah Palin talking points he plagiarizes. He often contradicts himself and he has little idea of the big picture.

Of course, Eudora benefits from Lawrence. There are no jobs in Eudora. Everyone who lives there works or studies in Lawrence or KC. Brown wouldn't know that because he hasn't had a real job in years. He couldn't even get tenure as a teacher. At best I would call him a success by default.

Brown is just an example of someone with good timing who got elected for his first term and then had a few times around where he ran unopposed. He almost always loses Eudora in the primaries. And, I have seen him at many community events…he is often ignored and alone. It is just a case of a community that is not organized enough or cares. He is anything but a mandate from the people.

As a conservative, I can whole-heartedly say what I disagree with most about Brown is his stupidity far over his politics. It has to be hard living in those greasy, ill fitting suits.

JMarkC 4 years, 6 months ago

As a member of the Overland Park community, my opinion of Eudora has just plummeted. I'm very thankful that we have Lawrence - and all of that liberal thinking that goes with it- as a part of this state.

2002 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm a pretty conservative guy. I wouldn't vote for this idiot Brown of he were running against the poster child for far left liberal causes. His comments are insulting. He is an ill informed, ignorant and incompetent.

I am willing to donate to the campaign of anyone that runs against him.

somedude20 4 years, 6 months ago

Eudora is officially a second class city: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/dec...

watchout for number one and make sure you don't step in number two (Eudora)

luvmyjhawktattoo 4 years, 6 months ago

You people that are so quick to make reference to Eudora like it's a crap-hole really piss me off. It makes you sound as if people that LIVE in Lawrence are so much better than those that live in Eudora? Really? Do you realize how many educators that live in Lawrence drive East everyday because Lawrence isn't the best paying or one of the supposed "elite" district's in the state? Yes, there are several Eudora people that go into Lawrence everyday for work. There are also several that drive East for work. To say that Lawrence is solely responsible for Eudora's existence is ridiculous. Does it help Eudora to survive? Of course. But, don't some things go hand in hand? Everyone helps make the world go round no matter what community they live or work in. One could also say then that Lawrence would hurt without KU. But the comments of "Look at the hick, backwards area he represents" and "Wasn't Eudora where a black man was arrested for suspiciously mowing a yard?" and "This is why I've been saying all along that we should take Eudora. Eudora is weak and will fall easily. Once we have control, we could build the new homeless shelter there, develop a new Douglas County trash dump, etc." Really people? And the reason Lawrence is seen as the Liberal hotspot of the state is because in every election there's ONE county in the entire state that swings Democrat. Douglas County, Lawrence. Every person watching the news in the entire state and KC area sees that Douglas County is the one different color on the map. It is perceived that way because of the elections. Is it wrong to be that way? No. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the whole democratic process. Maybe he's simply saying that there needs to be a "give a little, take a little" mentality. It's as if Lawrence is the red-headed stepchild of the state. The one, that no matter what, will NOT budge. Stubborn, if you will. Lawrence doesn't have to be like everyone else, but everyone needs to be willing to "give a little, take a little."

somedude20 4 years, 6 months ago

Oh I bet that Kevin, Karl and Kyle took care of him.

cozy 4 years, 6 months ago

Wow, have you never heard of sarcasm? Good lord. "This is why I've been saying all along that we should take Eudora. Eudora is weak and will fall easily. Once we have control, we could build the new homeless shelter there, develop a new Douglas County trash dump, etc." Do you really think that there are people conspiring to go to war with Eudora? Really?

"Wasn't Eudora where a black man was arrested for suspiciously mowing a yard?" Also, why are you upset about this? Don't ignore it to help your argument, because it did happen.

luvmyjhawktattoo 4 years, 6 months ago

People have gotten all defensive about Lawrence. What's the difference?And for the record, I never heard of any black man being arrested for mowing a yard in Eudora. So in truth, I'm not ignoring it.

cozy 4 years, 5 months ago

Then why comment about it..

Heres some reading for you: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/jun... and they pulled a Taser on him, no less. Seems to be some pretty tolerant, educated people on the Eudora police force these days. haha. Really though, there is no reason for ignorance.

Clark Coan 4 years, 6 months ago

During WWII Eudora (and Desoto) were flooded with mountain people (the PC name for Hillbillies) from the Ozarks who came to work in the Sunflower Army Ammunitions Plant. Unfortunately, they were backward culturally, educationally and politically. Anyway, the children of these immigrants were so backward educationally, special federal funds had to be used to try to bring them up to their Kansas peers. The effort may have helped some but I suspect the grandchildren and great grandchildren are still behind their peers.

luvmyjhawktattoo 4 years, 6 months ago

That's brilliant. So you're saying you live in Eudora then?

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 6 months ago

Its true. The same backward sort from the south also came to Wichita in droves to make war planes during WWII.

In my mind, this is the split in this state between the moderate republicans (native Kansans) and the conservative republicans (ignorant hillbilly transplants from the south).

kernal 4 years, 6 months ago

Wasn't President Clinton a descendant of hillbillies? Those "ignorant" hillbillies also helped win the Revolution. Don't dismiss them too lightly.

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 6 months ago

We fought a war to keep these ignorant southerners out of Lawrence, and then we let them right back in during WWII.

luvmyjhawktattoo 4 years, 6 months ago

Seems funny to me that you say all of this, yet Lawrence is the only blue part of the state. Maybe they sent all of the loons to Lawrence and then the normal people surrounded them to keep them hidden. Funny how things work out.

jafs 4 years, 6 months ago

Actually, from what I've read, Lawrence was settled in large part by Northerners who moved down here.

That might explain the difference between it and the rest of the state.

kernal 4 years, 6 months ago

Abolitionists from Massachusetts were among the original settlers of Lawrence.

ozarkbaby1 4 years, 6 months ago

My parents are one of those that migrated to Eudora to work at the Sunflower AA Plant. NO, I did not require special funding nor am I backwards educationally. I work for a research company in KC. My children are not "behind" their peers, one is a "A" student, the other is a firefighter! There are smart Ozark folk!!

Frightwig 4 years, 6 months ago

He's probably a decent guy deep down inside. His comments merely sound like that of a person who hasn't had much interaction with other cultures. I'm guessing that he lived his entire life in a small town, doesn't have a passport and still refers to Asian people as "Orientals". Rather than hate the guy, we should take the high road and help him. Can some of this town's friendliest hippies invite him over for dinner? Seriously, I think it it would be productive and, being a politician, he'd probably take advantage of the opportunity to reach out and meet people. It may just change his heart.

BigPrune 4 years, 6 months ago

As a hard line left wing liberal double rainbow tree bagger democrat, I totally agree with Mr. Brown.

Lawrence is the red headed step child of Kansas.

thatonedude 4 years, 6 months ago

Aside from the Naismith reference (and what do you mean by that, exactly?), you have described nothing that is exclusive to Lawrence. Smooth.

thatonedude 4 years, 6 months ago

Reading that, bcman, I have a sneaking suspicion that he represents you all pretty damn well.

chalice2 4 years, 6 months ago

"That needs to change." That sounds a little threatening. Is diversity really all that threatening? Is a bit of blue in a red state so dreadful? Purple is a lovely hue.

nobody1793 4 years, 6 months ago

I think we all need to have a beer of reconciliation on the White House lawn.

dannop 4 years, 6 months ago

what a joke. this is who you chose to represent you, eudora. aside from the idiotic lawrence comments: typical conservative argument that a 1 cent sales tax cut is going to magically help the kansas economy somehow. when was the last time you almost bought something, and then said to yourself, "oh no. sales tax is 9 percent instead of 8 percent. i better not buy this thing." yeah. never.

TopJayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Wrong. That is the thinking behind your extra 1% rip off zones that you have to benefit the wealthy. It keeps me from spending money anywhere in Lawrence anymore except for at KU.

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 6 months ago

""KU and Lawrence are not very well-respected," said Brown."

Considering the source of this comment, Lawrence should be flattered.

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 6 months ago

"Maybe Lawrence is the conscience of the state,"

Maybe, but I would say its more like the adult of the state, surrounded by a bunch of whining spoiled children who call themselves conservatives.

true_patriot 4 years, 6 months ago

Brown, regarding free speech in Lawrence: "That has to change". He wouldn't know the founding principles if they bit him in the ass.

Bob Forer 4 years, 6 months ago

Whats really scary is that this guy is a public school teacher.

luvmyjhawktattoo 4 years, 6 months ago

He is not a public school teacher. Where do you people get your information?

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 6 months ago

Many in this state, including Brown apparently, cannot stand diversity of life or opinion. I think this is because they have so little trust or conviction in their own ways, that the different ways of others become terribly threatening.

The root of intolerance is insecurity. We have a lot of that in Kansas.

Terry Jacobsen 4 years, 6 months ago

I choose to live in Lawrence. Raise my family here. I am a conservative. I love Lawrence. I have many friends who are far more liberal in their ideaologies than I am. Some of those ideas I disagree with and we often banter back and forth about our difference in opinions. We laugh at each other and sometimes we just shake our heads and wonder how in the heck did we ever get to be friends. But in the end, we are both better for having the differences in our lives and opinions. Not that we ever really change each other's minds, but we have strong relationships that are based on true friendships that stand up to the pressures of having different opinions. I still think they are wrong, but I love em anyway! Just as they think I am wrong, and choose to love me inspite of it. Wow... I like Lawrence, and afterall, Mr. Brown is wrong. Everybody loves KU, it's basketball season!!!

jafs 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm very glad to hear that you have strong friendships with people who disagree with you politically.

One of the things that bothers me about the political climate right now is that politics often turns into personal attacks, and I think we should be able to discuss issues and disagree without that happening.

That was one of the things I liked a lot about Canada - they seemed able to do that.

Terry Jacobsen 4 years, 6 months ago

By the way, did anyone notice that Gov. Brownback has said he does not want to repeal the 1 cent sales tax. I believe his veto will trump Mr. Brown's misguided belief that it should be repealed.

mrjcg2 4 years, 6 months ago

Who cares what he thinks, his credibility is pretty low, at least with me. If he approved of Lawrence, I'd probably have to move.

irvan moore 4 years, 6 months ago

i think it was rude to talk bad about the people giving you a free breakfast.

conservative 4 years, 6 months ago

I'd say brown summed up lawrence pretty darn well and ballard is deluded.

Ann Hamil 4 years, 6 months ago

Unfortunately, AB represents not just Eudora, but SE, North, and NW Lawrence and a swath of the k-10 corridor running down to Lenexa. It is called Gerrymandering and I don't have any hope of the R controlled legislature correcting what they did 10 years ago by design. I know because I have tried to help Dems run against him for the past 3 cycles. He generally loses DG county (including Eudora), but the Johnson County folk vote for the "R". Also he is NOT a public school teacher---he is a burn-out former school teacher and currently a carpenter--who in the election cycle before this one was not even endorsed by the carpenter's union because he had broken promises to them (this time they remained silent as it became apparent that the way the district is structured his seat is secure). The only hope of better representation is to run a smart moderate Republican in the primary in 2012, but start fund raising now because AB has the power of the Koch Bros behind him.

PittStatePrincess 4 years, 6 months ago

goodcitizen - Not sure where you get your facts, he has not LOST Eudora in the elections. Check your facts. I've heard this before and looked it up on the Sec. of State website. As a citizen of Eudora, he has a lot of support here. Also, according to the SSOS page, he even won a few precincts in Lawrence the last election...hmmm

tomatogrower 4 years, 6 months ago

So this guy would like to get rid of KU, even though a huge chunk of the people he represents work there? Get real guy. Eudora is really just a suburb of Lawrence anyway. Great way to win votes. Advocate getting rid of their jobs.

cheerio 4 years, 6 months ago

Eudora is not a suburb of Lawrence. Eudora is a suburb of KC, just like Lawrence.

Julesbug 4 years, 6 months ago

Let's get real. I'm pretty sure that in the bigger picture, Kansas isn't very well respected and is seen as too conservative. Sure, I know there are a few people out there dying to move here so their kids can go to public schools and learn about creationism and the abstinence-only lifestyle all at once, but I think a majority of people probably see that as a joke "that needs to change."

Honestly, Lawrence is far from perfect, but I would much rather live here than Eudora.

livinginlawrence 4 years, 6 months ago

I think these are some important points, and few others here seem to be considering them.

Bladerunner 4 years, 6 months ago

Brown 1 Ballard.....not even in the game.........

Thunderdome 4 years, 6 months ago

Not to change the subject, but our Mayor's comment was also humorous...sort of. I don't know how anyone could possibly hold up Lawrence as a positive example for economic development. How full is East Hills Business Park after twenty five years? We struggle to keep our home-grown businesses here let alone attract major new businesses. Mr. Amyx is a good man, but his compass is off on this one. We should be seeking the Governor's help on the issue, not looking for empty praise.

overthemoon 4 years, 6 months ago

Well. One reason economic growth is so difficult is the new blood needed from companies relocating to Kansas, Lawrence or elsewhere, is that even though we offer great geographical convenience and all sorts of tax incentives, no one wants to move their people to one of the most ludicrous states in the Union. The whole evolution in schools debacle, the presence of Phelps and gang, and the general bassackwards attitude represented by the voters is enough to kill any new business that has any bit of a clue.

Carol Bowen 4 years, 6 months ago

It looks like State Rep. Anthony Brown has control issues.

staunch_repbulican 4 years, 6 months ago

As a republican and a long time Eudora resident. I can say I am embarrassed about Anthony Brown. He does not have the majority support of Eudora or Douglas County. In fact I have heard many educators tell me and others do NOT vote for Anthony Brown. I am also very thankful he is a burned out educator because after his comments I HOPE he never steps foot in a classroom again. I have personally met him and these comments don't surprise me. Although these comments are embarrassing, he does not speak nor act like a person with an education. After thinking about these comments I believe they are a blessing in disguise. I hope these comments will bring out a real republican candidate that will represent Eudora and Douglas County. So thank you Anthony Brown for your words of wisdom. It gives us hope for 2012............because the best campaign tactic for his opponent is to allow him to talk. However, if there is not a worthy repbulican I guess I will vote for a democrat.

kansasreason 4 years, 6 months ago

I really enjoy this comment and think you got it just right.

mcontrary 4 years, 6 months ago

It’s just terrible how free thinking can expose the fallacy of conservatism and creat liberals. Hopefully, KU will foster more free thinking.

just_me 4 years, 6 months ago

Has anyone seen the bumper sticker "Lawrence, Kansas. 29 square miles of sanity surrounded by Kansas". Too funny. I LOVE Lawrence and if by 'too liberal' he means 'accepting and diverse', then bring it on. Don't get me wrong, I love the rest of Kansas too, but I'm sure glad Ilive here!!

irvan moore 4 years, 6 months ago

thank you Barbara Ballard, it's nice to see an elected official who remembers where they came from.

booyalab 4 years, 6 months ago

"Maybe Lawrence is the conscience of the state," See, this is why liberal is a dirty word now. There seems to be no humility or levelheadedness in a liberal. If she had said "Well, they are entitled to their opinions. But we're probably going to continue being this way." I would have been bowled over by the lack of elitism. But she couldn't just state things as they are, she had to conjure some imaginary moral spectrum that applies to insentient cities, and place Lawrence at the top. It's loopy.

Personally, I think Lawrence could use more liberalism. Classic liberalism.

Bob_Keeshan 4 years, 6 months ago

Sure, but Rep. Brown is demonstrating buckets and buckets of humility. I'm sure he is well acquainted with the rest of the state and that's why he is speaking on their behalf.

booyalab 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm not really defending Brown's character, I don't know anything about him. But "KU and Lawrence are not well-respected [in the rest of the state]" is much more of a concrete, down-to-earth statement than "Lawrence is the conscience of the state". Brown is saying that he has observed that Kansans generally don't agree with the way Lawrencians do things. By contrast, Ballard is effectively saying it's because Lawrencians have better morals than anyone that disagrees with them.

Stating a self-righteous opinion as fact is more elitist than making an observation about majority opinion.

Bob_Keeshan 4 years, 6 months ago

So you agree with Rep. Brown and that makes his statement "concrete" and "down to earth". It certainly isn't a "self-righteous" opinion. Oh, and it is clearly the majority opinion, since you are in agreement.

I see you have tons of humility as well.

jafs 4 years, 6 months ago

When was the last time any politician responded to a criticism in a humble levelheaded manner?

kudzutexas 4 years, 6 months ago

Well, I'm from the Lawrence area. And quite frankly I'm embarrassed by the rest of the State. I wish they wouldn't vote against their own interest. But, I won't say anything because I want to fall in line for Mr. Brown. I'd hate to go to jail for political dessent.

Jimo 4 years, 6 months ago

I would kindly ask the representative to examine himself for a posterior orifice and deposit his opinions there for safekeeping in trust of a future day when "well-respected" Kansas stops exporting jobs and people to the other states!

Yogi 4 years, 6 months ago

I hate to break it to Rep. Brown, but the rest of the country and world considers the state of Kansas to be out of touch and an embarrassment . Lawrence and the University of Kansas do far more to show the great things about our state than some narrow minded right winged fool in the House of Reps.

bendover61 4 years, 6 months ago

Those with "tolerance" seem to be intolerant of his opinion. Hypocrites.

beaujackson 4 years, 6 months ago

A substantial number of Lawrence residents are paid by taxpayer funds, and are typically liberal Democrats.

Is it possible this is why Douglas Co. is slow in receiving state funds (eg.: 50 years overdue US 59 highway improvement)?

It's difficult for the "tail" (Lawrence) to wag the ""dog" (KS).

jayhawklawrence 4 years, 6 months ago

I like to think of Lawrence as a highly diverse community and a "melting pot" rich with different ideas, cultures and backgrounds. All of these differences contribute to making it an exciting place to live. People in Lawrence tend to highly value educational opportunities, learning new things and personal growth. They are open minded and interested in different ideas.

The attitude that Brown expresses is something that I have heard on occasion and one not based on facts.

It sounds like in Brown's world, any differing opinion might be looked upon with a lot of suspicion and might be considered a threat.

Matthew Del Vecchio 4 years, 6 months ago

My favorite hippie bumper sticker that I've seen so far is...."Lawrence 28.7 square miles of sanity surrounded by Kansas".

I love Lawrence because I grew up in mid&western KS.

mushfish 4 years, 6 months ago

A. Brown says "too liberal" like it's a bad thing.

beau96 4 years, 6 months ago

Both liberals and conservatives really need to just go away. Folks that are too far left and right have one thing in common they are very loud and extremely disconnected with the silent majority. You idiots chastise Anthony Brown for name calling and then turn around and call him names. Can you say hypocrisy? And all of your opinions come from a media that has no clue what the word context means. I am sure this story has been twisted just enough to get all of you going the way you are. Anthony is a good person who is far from dumb. I am not a republican or a democrat and I have to say I like him even if our views do not align sometimes. Until you dumba!@#$ get to know somebody you should really keep the personal attacks to yourself. Ask yourself honestly right now does anything that he said have any amount of truth to it. Just for the record I am part of the “RENT IS TO DAMN HIGH PARTY” so I am not playing political favorites.

beau96 4 years, 6 months ago

I also did not claim to know what was said. If you believe everything the media tells you then, good for you.

meggers 4 years, 6 months ago

"Until you dumba!@#$ get to know somebody you should really keep the personal attacks to yourself."

Perhaps you should follow your own advice.

beau96 4 years, 6 months ago

I was waiting for this post. See doesn't it piss you off a little when somebody calls someone out like that and they do not even know them. I hope that point was proven just a little.

meggers 4 years, 6 months ago

Actually, it didn't pi$$ me off at all. I haven't personally attacked Rep. Brown, so I didn't feel that you were targeting me with your post. I simply pointed out your hypocrisy.

You can claim it was intentional all you wish, but I doubt you'll convince anyone. For someone trying to claim the moral high ground, you are failing miserably.

Danielle Brunin 4 years, 6 months ago

"You idiots chastise Anthony Brown for name calling and then turn around and call him names."

Then you turn around and call people names who called Anthony Brown names. Pot, meet kettle...

beau96 4 years, 6 months ago

I was ust trying to prove a point thanks for buying in (REF meggers above). Oh yeah, the pot and kettle thing was fairly cleaver the first six times it was used on this message board.

Danielle Brunin 4 years, 6 months ago

I guess not everyone can be as "cleaver" as you!

beau96 4 years, 6 months ago

I am not cleaver or really even smart. If I were you I probably would just ignore anything I post.
-Please support the Rent is to Damn High Party : )

DeAnn Seib 4 years, 6 months ago

Rep. Brown -- 1. Clean the log out of your own eye before you attempt to clean the log out of your neighbor's eye. 2. It is the height of poor manners to accept hospitality with one hand and slap your host with the other. 3. Bullies can be of any age and can even be a political party. The abilities to welcome all thoughts and to look for the good in all are the hallmarks of a true statesman; apparently you have yet to achieve those abilities.

danmoore 4 years, 6 months ago

I am constantly defending Kansas and its embarrassing political views. Were it not for Lawrence I would not be able to do so.

Dan Thalmann 4 years, 6 months ago

Kansas' political views are that of its people. So basically you're saying you're embarrassed about Kansas' people.

ScottyMac 4 years, 6 months ago

I've been up and down just about every street in Lawrence and I have never, ever seen even one business with such a sign. Am I missing them, or is he just making things up?

Danielle Brunin 4 years, 6 months ago

My dad always calls Lawrence the "Republic of Lawrence" because some talk radio guy (Jim Cates out of Topeka, I believe) calls it that. I've never seen a sign either so maybe that's where he picked it up.

tomatogrower 4 years, 6 months ago

I've seen one sign on the building that used to be the Old Home Depot, but that's the only one. Maybe he doesn't know that Lawrence is much bigger than a couple of blocks.

hak21 4 years, 6 months ago

So sorry that Anthony Brown has given Eudora a bad name. .. Believe me we all are not like that . . he didn't win the vote in Eudora, the DeSoto precinct voted for him overwhelmingly. People in our town love Lawrence and what it stands for and enjoy it's beauty and diversity. Please Lawrence community, don't put us all in the same bag as Mr. Brown . . . unfair and untrue of the majority of Eudora residents.

Dan Thalmann 4 years, 6 months ago

Isn't Lawrence sometimes referred to as "Berkeley on the Plains"? I'd say that is a pretty good description of a liberal bastion, then. But so what? It is what it is. I love Lawrence even though I totally disagree with the political stance of the majority of its citizenship. But I think there is a lot of common ground to be had between people, despite their political differences and this sort of partisanship and intolerance (from both sides) and name-calling do nothing for nobody. I mean, how often do our political views actually become part of our day-to-day lives? We're not deciding every day whether or not to abort a baby. We're not wondering what section of the Constitution might be offended by an action we're considering. We're not looking at two guys wondering whether or not they're married. Mostly, we go to work, go grocery shopping, wonder what movie we might watch tonight or if KU is playing. We're bobbing our heads to a good new song on the radio, we're wondering if it is going to snow this weekend. None of that has anything to do with our political belief system. Why this guy thought it was in his best interest to make that statement, I don't know. Is Lawrence liberal? Yes. Is it the conscience of the state? Impossible to prove either way. Is it too liberal? What qualifies as "too" liberal? It's all relative. Legislators need to shut the heck up about their parties and work together to fix the dang economy.

danmoore 4 years, 6 months ago

That's because the republican party has abandoned its core ideology. They used to be the party of fiscal responsibility and less government but they sold out in the Reagan admin and they have not stopped spending since. Now they are too concerned about gays and abortion which ironically are more government. I respect Bob Dole and what used to be the republican party but now it is way too conservative.

jafs 4 years, 6 months ago

Or perhaps not conservative enough, in the classical sense of smaller government, fiscal responsibility, and staying out of people's private lives.

pace 4 years, 6 months ago

So many of the new republicans are so angry and spiteful. It isn't like they have that many democrats to show boat on. I wonder how he treats liberals in Eudora. It sounds like he hates us and hates KU. It is good to know. At least he isn't a hypocrite. My guess is he will read every comment against him and use it to build a fever to hurt KU. He will have plenty of people in Topeka ready to join his crusade. The Republicans are a lot more fired up over hating democrats than they are over the economy. He needs enemies, I feel like I am watching www.

workingfal61 4 years, 6 months ago

I hate to see others making the generalization that just because Rep. Brown lives in Eudora, he represents the town's beliefs. I live in Eudora, graduated from KU, work in Kansas City, and am a liberal. I absolutely love Lawrence and am grateful to have the town, and everything it has to offer, as a neighbor. I am also content to be living in a small town with wonderful schools. I would bet there are many others in Eudora who feel the same way. Lawrence and Eudora are neighbors....don't give one person's ridiculous remarks the power to create hatred and division.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 6 months ago

I was ready to say "well, duh! we're not known as the San Francisco of the midwest for nothing!" But I think his comments went a little too far.

Did they have coffee at this thing? Maybe Mr. Brown hadn't had his caffeine fix just yet, so he was a little cranky. Maybe a few drivers cut him off on his way over. Maybe he and his wife had a fight this morning, and/or his mother-in-law is visiting.

I have the feeling that he might have received his last invite to any Chamber events.

lawslady 4 years, 6 months ago

Note to A Brown; there are currently over 200 comments on your comments. Take note - your discourteous remarks have not been well received. I'm a fairly conservate person who votes for the person, not the party. I do not agree with any party or person 100%. Those who require blind allegiance to their cause or selves are called zealots and cult leaders. It is un-American and evidence of insecurity to sneer at people who disagree with you on political or social issues. I'm with the other Republicans who've commented here; let me know what I can do to help campaign against him.

PittStatePrincess 4 years, 6 months ago

Look at the REAL news source http://www.EudoraReporter.com for the whole story. This isn't what was said. You are jumping to conclusions and taking this too far. I called and spoke to him about this also and the facts are not right. Maybe the two reporters need to check facts and compare! Even the people at the event said it didn't happen this way! JEEZ

jafs 4 years, 6 months ago

Somebody should call the Journal World and get them to correct the story and apologize for the mistake, if you're right.

PittStatePrincess 4 years, 6 months ago

I am sure the reporter who wrote this reads all the threads and actually this was probably the intention. Anyone who knows him, knows these words aren't his. Just politics at its best.

pace 4 years, 6 months ago

The Eudora article said "n a one-on-one interview with eudorareporter.com, Brown said these quotes were not accurate and the context of the question was not stated. According to Brown, the question was asked how can Lawrence and KU have greater influence in the legislature? Brown stated his response was “KU and Lawrence and not very well perceived.” Not much difference between percieved and respected,but there is a difference. It would be interesting to find out for sure which word he used. It would be more telling if he just was spinning it with no regard for accuracy, or if the LJW slanted it.

absolutelyridiculous 4 years, 6 months ago

After reading the EudoraReporter.com story my decision to quit getting this rag is affirmed. Horrible, irresponsible journalism.

booyalab 4 years, 6 months ago

Wow. I thought it strange that they didn't give any context for his comments in this article. But what he actually said is much milder than what I figured. Thanks for posting that.

beau96 4 years, 6 months ago

Were you one of the voters for the "Peoples Choice Awards" last night? You probably belive the American Idol is more than a glorified Karaoke contest. The media is just as much a scam as politics. If not both the Eudora article and the Journal World article would align more. None2 the truth probably lies inbetween both articles. The speed media of today is just not very good. Trust No one and think for yourself.

Please support the Rent is to Damn High Party

meggers 4 years, 6 months ago

Actually, Palin twittered '"refudiate" and then tried to claim it was a typo. The problem is that she actually said "refudiate" in a prior interview. It's apparent that she thought it was a word.

meggers 4 years, 6 months ago

The mistake itself isn't as much of an issue as her attempt to act like it was a typo, rather than an incorrect belief that she was stating a real word. A little humility goes a long way, IMHO.

With that said, I don't think it's too much to expect a person positioning herself to become leader of the free world to have at least a basic understanding of the English language. Then again, her vocabulary skills (or lack thereof) are probably eclipsed by her ignorance of national and world affairs as a whole.

George Lippencott 4 years, 6 months ago

Well, if Mr. Brown is expressing his personal opinion – we can judge accordingly.

If Mr. Brown were reflecting a broadly held opinion in our legislature, I would submit we just might have something about which we should be concerned. Our city depends to a significant degree on the sate legislature for money and authority. If there is broad censure there then that may make the job of our local delegation more difficult as they face a hostile environment rather than a neutral one.

Could the attitude reflected by some here that the rest of Kansas is composed of stupid, bigoted and thoughtless people contribute to a possible negative attitude among them? Most people I know do not like being called distasteful things and rather than accept them they turn the comments back on those making them.

Sometimes being right (if we are) brings consequences. Just a thought.

jafs 4 years, 6 months ago

It goes both ways.

Perhaps Lawrence residents are tired of being called "too liberal".

George Lippencott 4 years, 6 months ago

Good point Jafs. Of course, that was not my point. Unfortunately we are less than 5% of the population so rock throwing is not in our interest.

Bob_Keeshan 4 years, 6 months ago

People comparing the Eudora Reporter to this one don't care much for journalism.

One report came from someone at the event. Another report comes second-hand.

Shame on you for allowing that kind of shoddy journalism, to create a story which apparently fits your personal views, to be passed off as real reporting.

Daniel Speicher 4 years, 6 months ago

OH NO!! Anthony Brown doesn't like Lawrence!! Wait a minute... Who is Anthony Brown?

--Danny Speicher

tomatogrower 4 years, 6 months ago

This from a guy who lives in the thriving town of Linwood.

UMUSTBKIDDING 4 years, 6 months ago

I am not local but have family in the area. I find it funny that one of your readers considers Lawrence to be as CUTTING EDGE as California. Obviously the fact that the state is still writing I.O.U's to pay there state employees is a model to follow. I find it funny that everyone is upset that Mr. Brown bashed their precious city, but the only thing they can return fire with is to poke fun at the city that he lives in. I am sure that not all of the other residence are conservative or liberal. As to the people that refer to all westeren KS and southerners as over conservative, redneck, blah blah blah. I don't know what is wrong with making a good living by working Hard. You know its that thing that some people do everyday so that all of the neat little programs you are so fond of can operate. I also didn't realize that it was wrong to live with-in your means. Once again, you drive across the state and think these people are uneducated and white trash because they don't live in a big fancy house. (Just a little hint, they have more money wrapped up in land and equipment than your fancy house). I was always tought, "give a man a fish and he won't go hungry today, teach a man to fish and he won't go hungry". Point is it takes the conservatives of this state and country to live below there means to make up for everyone living for the moment. Don't believe me..... how many people do you know that can't make there mortgage.

p.s. the south will rise again!

melott 4 years, 6 months ago

So, he doesn't like freedom? Fine, he should do all his shopping in Eudora.

pace 4 years, 6 months ago

I feel the most radical liberal. Here is the way out idea, from the left. maybe not shop. I like Eudora, Lawrence, even (gasp) Topeka. I don't like the idea that to prove my affection or my worth, I have to shop.

Carol Braden 4 years, 6 months ago

Wish I had time to read all these comments - I'm sure a great source of entertainment. But, here's my 2 cents:

Representative Brown's comments sound like a line from the movie "Ride with the Devil". Maybe Mr. Brown's great-great grandfather fought in the Border Wars on the side of Missouri? Maybe even rode with Quantril? I would imagine if Mr. Brown's great-great grandfather was John Brown, he is probably a great disappointment!

handlon 4 years, 6 months ago

There can be no question as to why the rest of the country's perception of Kansas is of a state of asinine hillbillies. Thanks Representative Moron. I suggest you go hang out with your brother Fred "God Hates F*gs" Phelps.... He understands you....

camper 4 years, 6 months ago

It sounds like Brown was stating an opinion about how Lawrence is perceived, not necessarily his own belief. So I don't find it offensive and certainly give it a pass.

But it is true that many believe Lawrence is a liberal town, and for this reason, have a negative view of it. When I first moved here I was apolitical, but had some friends from South of town. They often made broad statements like this. I did not think much of it other than thinking they were kind of odd. But I guess we are all odd in a way. It is easier and lazy to paint pictures with such a broad brush. This is why I tend to place my bet on politicians who don't label....which seems to be quite difficult. This is why I am open to voting Republican if I see good qualities. But right now words like "liberal" and "socialism" are thrown around way to easily. This is why I lean Democrat.

jade 4 years, 6 months ago

Not respected by tea-partiers and other anti-environment, anti-democracy, anti-social justice folks? I'm ok with that.

booyalab 4 years, 6 months ago

I'll give you the social justice (which is not real justice), but 1. have you compared the rural environments of Kansan conservatives to Lawrence? Theirs is much nicer to look at than our scraggly, trash filled lawns and urine-scented alleys. 2. The tea partiers wanted democracy more than the Obama administration wanted to give it. Or did you ignore that part of the story in favor of the insightful wordplays.

lgreen17 4 years, 6 months ago

Unfortunately Brown also represents north Lawrence, which is actually part of Lawrence, so he's basically saying that he doesn't respect the people he represents. Unless they agree with him I guess.

4 years, 5 months ago

If I lived in Eudora I would be SO embarrassed that we had elected Anthony Brown to the legislature. This person clearly has no basic manners.

4 years, 5 months ago

"Brown said he sees signs in local businesses that read "Free Republic of Lawrence.""

I've never seen such a sign in a Lawrence business. I hope while he was in the stores Brown claims to have seen these signs that he at least bought something.