Archive for Wednesday, January 5, 2011

State Rep. Anthony Brown criticizes Lawrence, KU

Brown makes remark while being hosted at downtown event

January 5, 2011

Kansas Rep. TerriLois Gregory talks about budget challenges for the state

Kansas Rep. TerriLois Gregory talks with LJWorld.com reporter Scott Rothschild at the Legislative Priorities Breakfast at Macelli's, 1031 N. H., on Wednesday, Jan. 5. Gregory says the budget will be the main issue for 2011. Enlarge video

Kansas Rep. Ann Mah talks about challenges facing the state budget

State Rep. Ann Mah talks with LJWorld.com reporter Scott Rothschild at the Legislative Priorities Breakfast at Macelli's, 1031 N. H., on Wednesday, Jan. 5. Mah says the budget will be the main issue for 2011. Enlarge video

State Rep. Anthony Brown, R-Eudora, on Wednesday chastised Lawrence and Kansas University during the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce legislative priorities breakfast.

"KU and Lawrence are not very well-respected," said Brown.

He said many people across the state see Lawrence as too liberal. Brown said he sees signs in local businesses that read "Free Republic of Lawrence."

"That needs to change," he said.

State Rep. Barbara Ballard, D-Lawrence, however, defended her hometown as one that recognizes equal rights for all.

"Maybe Lawrence is the conscience of the state," Ballard said. "Every community is different. Ours is different," she said.

Their comments came during the chamber event at Maceli's that was attended by more than 150 people. The 2011 legislative session starts Monday with Gov.-elect Sam Brownback, a Republican, and a much larger Republican majority in the Legislature taking office.

Several legislators praised the work that KU does, but said public universities need to do a better job of letting the Legislature know about their successes.

"The universities need to do a full-court press on the Legislature and tell them how they are creating jobs," said state Sen. Tom Holland, D-Baldwin City.

Higher education has been cut $100 million over the past two years because of tanking tax revenues that have caused cuts across most state programs.

The state still faces an estimated $550 million budget deficit, but that could grow to $850 million if a group of House Republicans have their way and repeal the 1-cent state sales tax increase that was approved during the last legislative session and went into effect July 1.

Brown said he will push for repeal of the sales tax increase and said there is a good chance the Senate will approve it too, which would leave the matter up to Brownback.

But Brownback has said he doesn't want to repeal the tax increase. He found an ally Wednesday in House Democratic Leader Paul Davis of Lawrence. "I praise Gov.-elect Brownback for standing by the Legislature and resisting attempts to repeal that," he said.

Earlier in the program, Mayor Mike Amyx said the Brownback administration should look at Lawrence for examples of how communities develop businesses. "We can be the model," he said.

Other legislators who spoke at the event were state Sen. Marci Francisco, D-Lawrence, state Reps. Tom Sloan, R-Lawrence, and Ann Mah, D-Topeka, and state Rep.-elect TerriLois Gregory, R-Baldwin City.

Comments

ajacobs 3 years, 2 months ago

"Brown said he sees signs in local businesses that read "Free Republic of Lawrence.""

I've never seen such a sign in a Lawrence business. I hope while he was in the stores Brown claims to have seen these signs that he at least bought something.

3 years, 3 months ago

If I lived in Eudora I would be SO embarrassed that we had elected Anthony Brown to the legislature. This person clearly has no basic manners.

lgreen17 3 years, 3 months ago

Unfortunately Brown also represents north Lawrence, which is actually part of Lawrence, so he's basically saying that he doesn't respect the people he represents. Unless they agree with him I guess.

jade 3 years, 3 months ago

Not respected by tea-partiers and other anti-environment, anti-democracy, anti-social justice folks? I'm ok with that.

CorkyHundley 3 years, 3 months ago

Yes, I see now...how could have I missed it. Barb knows the "Conscience of Kansas". She must be able to feel it. It must radiate up from the humus itself.

How could have I missed it

I am not an intellectual. It is not obvious to me what "Conscience of Kansas" could do to one that is not noticing or prepared.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 3 months ago

Corky, the Conscience of Kansas crowd surely hopes for the mostest and farthest trajectory of their words which are about to burst forth, in order to completely coat Kansas with a message of stick-to-it-ive-ness.

CorkyHundley 3 years, 3 months ago

The Emotionality of the crowd from the "Conscience of Kansas" (CoK) is at a fever pitch. Their fetishness for Larryville is stirring. What will CoK do to stop the businesses from leaving? What will they do about the families leaving? CoK needs to rise up for the challenge. They must intellectually stimulus Larryville and hope and change the future. This Eudora character does not know the potential of CoK. He must endure their ridgidity for carefree business fortitude.

camper 3 years, 3 months ago

It sounds like Brown was stating an opinion about how Lawrence is perceived, not necessarily his own belief. So I don't find it offensive and certainly give it a pass.

But it is true that many believe Lawrence is a liberal town, and for this reason, have a negative view of it. When I first moved here I was apolitical, but had some friends from South of town. They often made broad statements like this. I did not think much of it other than thinking they were kind of odd. But I guess we are all odd in a way. It is easier and lazy to paint pictures with such a broad brush. This is why I tend to place my bet on politicians who don't label....which seems to be quite difficult. This is why I am open to voting Republican if I see good qualities. But right now words like "liberal" and "socialism" are thrown around way to easily. This is why I lean Democrat.

handlon 3 years, 3 months ago

There can be no question as to why the rest of the country's perception of Kansas is of a state of asinine hillbillies. Thanks Representative Moron. I suggest you go hang out with your brother Fred "God Hates F*gs" Phelps.... He understands you....

cammieb 3 years, 3 months ago

Wish I had time to read all these comments - I'm sure a great source of entertainment. But, here's my 2 cents:

Representative Brown's comments sound like a line from the movie "Ride with the Devil". Maybe Mr. Brown's great-great grandfather fought in the Border Wars on the side of Missouri? Maybe even rode with Quantril? I would imagine if Mr. Brown's great-great grandfather was John Brown, he is probably a great disappointment!

melott 3 years, 3 months ago

So, he doesn't like freedom? Fine, he should do all his shopping in Eudora.

UMUSTBKIDDING 3 years, 3 months ago

I am not local but have family in the area. I find it funny that one of your readers considers Lawrence to be as CUTTING EDGE as California. Obviously the fact that the state is still writing I.O.U's to pay there state employees is a model to follow. I find it funny that everyone is upset that Mr. Brown bashed their precious city, but the only thing they can return fire with is to poke fun at the city that he lives in. I am sure that not all of the other residence are conservative or liberal. As to the people that refer to all westeren KS and southerners as over conservative, redneck, blah blah blah. I don't know what is wrong with making a good living by working Hard. You know its that thing that some people do everyday so that all of the neat little programs you are so fond of can operate. I also didn't realize that it was wrong to live with-in your means. Once again, you drive across the state and think these people are uneducated and white trash because they don't live in a big fancy house. (Just a little hint, they have more money wrapped up in land and equipment than your fancy house). I was always tought, "give a man a fish and he won't go hungry today, teach a man to fish and he won't go hungry". Point is it takes the conservatives of this state and country to live below there means to make up for everyone living for the moment. Don't believe me..... how many people do you know that can't make there mortgage.

p.s. the south will rise again!

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 3 months ago

Look at most liberal bastions, city or state. No wonder they're uncorked when they're criticized. Most liberal strongholds are a trainwreck, economically speaking. Progressives have tried re-brand themselves. It's not working (again) as they were tired of being called liberals. Progressives/libs---whatever absolutely love to label. They work hard, though, to try to convince folks to not label them. Joke if there ever was one. Scott R. is a textbook example of a lousy journalist with an axe to grind and an agenda, btw.

May God Bless.

Daniel Speicher 3 years, 3 months ago

OH NO!! Anthony Brown doesn't like Lawrence!! Wait a minute... Who is Anthony Brown?

--Danny Speicher

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 3 months ago

People comparing the Eudora Reporter to this one don't care much for journalism.

One report came from someone at the event. Another report comes second-hand.

Shame on you for allowing that kind of shoddy journalism, to create a story which apparently fits your personal views, to be passed off as real reporting.

George Lippencott 3 years, 3 months ago

Well, if Mr. Brown is expressing his personal opinion – we can judge accordingly.

If Mr. Brown were reflecting a broadly held opinion in our legislature, I would submit we just might have something about which we should be concerned. Our city depends to a significant degree on the sate legislature for money and authority. If there is broad censure there then that may make the job of our local delegation more difficult as they face a hostile environment rather than a neutral one.

Could the attitude reflected by some here that the rest of Kansas is composed of stupid, bigoted and thoughtless people contribute to a possible negative attitude among them? Most people I know do not like being called distasteful things and rather than accept them they turn the comments back on those making them.

Sometimes being right (if we are) brings consequences. Just a thought.

CWGOKU 3 years, 3 months ago

What college town is NOT liberal?

PittStatePrincess 3 years, 3 months ago

Look at the REAL news source http://www.EudoraReporter.com for the whole story. This isn't what was said. You are jumping to conclusions and taking this too far. I called and spoke to him about this also and the facts are not right. Maybe the two reporters need to check facts and compare! Even the people at the event said it didn't happen this way! JEEZ

lawslady 3 years, 3 months ago

Note to A Brown; there are currently over 200 comments on your comments. Take note - your discourteous remarks have not been well received. I'm a fairly conservate person who votes for the person, not the party. I do not agree with any party or person 100%. Those who require blind allegiance to their cause or selves are called zealots and cult leaders. It is un-American and evidence of insecurity to sneer at people who disagree with you on political or social issues. I'm with the other Republicans who've commented here; let me know what I can do to help campaign against him.

mr_right_wing 3 years, 3 months ago

I was ready to say "well, duh! we're not known as the San Francisco of the midwest for nothing!" But I think his comments went a little too far.

Did they have coffee at this thing? Maybe Mr. Brown hadn't had his caffeine fix just yet, so he was a little cranky. Maybe a few drivers cut him off on his way over. Maybe he and his wife had a fight this morning, and/or his mother-in-law is visiting.

I have the feeling that he might have received his last invite to any Chamber events.

workingfal61 3 years, 3 months ago

I hate to see others making the generalization that just because Rep. Brown lives in Eudora, he represents the town's beliefs. I live in Eudora, graduated from KU, work in Kansas City, and am a liberal. I absolutely love Lawrence and am grateful to have the town, and everything it has to offer, as a neighbor. I am also content to be living in a small town with wonderful schools. I would bet there are many others in Eudora who feel the same way. Lawrence and Eudora are neighbors....don't give one person's ridiculous remarks the power to create hatred and division.

pace 3 years, 3 months ago

So many of the new republicans are so angry and spiteful. It isn't like they have that many democrats to show boat on. I wonder how he treats liberals in Eudora. It sounds like he hates us and hates KU. It is good to know. At least he isn't a hypocrite. My guess is he will read every comment against him and use it to build a fever to hurt KU. He will have plenty of people in Topeka ready to join his crusade. The Republicans are a lot more fired up over hating democrats than they are over the economy. He needs enemies, I feel like I am watching www.

danmoore 3 years, 3 months ago

That's because the republican party has abandoned its core ideology. They used to be the party of fiscal responsibility and less government but they sold out in the Reagan admin and they have not stopped spending since. Now they are too concerned about gays and abortion which ironically are more government. I respect Bob Dole and what used to be the republican party but now it is way too conservative.

overplayedhistory 3 years, 3 months ago

Where is the smart business sense that is supposed to be part of conservative politics. What smart business man, goes to the chamber of commerce of the town that is seat to the county, and one of the wealthiest in the state, and talks sh!@## ?

Childish town rivalry is not what an adult would consider to be a conservative view.

RuralWanderer 3 years, 3 months ago

Isn't Lawrence sometimes referred to as "Berkeley on the Plains"? I'd say that is a pretty good description of a liberal bastion, then. But so what? It is what it is. I love Lawrence even though I totally disagree with the political stance of the majority of its citizenship. But I think there is a lot of common ground to be had between people, despite their political differences and this sort of partisanship and intolerance (from both sides) and name-calling do nothing for nobody. I mean, how often do our political views actually become part of our day-to-day lives? We're not deciding every day whether or not to abort a baby. We're not wondering what section of the Constitution might be offended by an action we're considering. We're not looking at two guys wondering whether or not they're married. Mostly, we go to work, go grocery shopping, wonder what movie we might watch tonight or if KU is playing. We're bobbing our heads to a good new song on the radio, we're wondering if it is going to snow this weekend. None of that has anything to do with our political belief system. Why this guy thought it was in his best interest to make that statement, I don't know. Is Lawrence liberal? Yes. Is it the conscience of the state? Impossible to prove either way. Is it too liberal? What qualifies as "too" liberal? It's all relative. Legislators need to shut the heck up about their parties and work together to fix the dang economy.

hak21 3 years, 3 months ago

So sorry that Anthony Brown has given Eudora a bad name. .. Believe me we all are not like that . . he didn't win the vote in Eudora, the DeSoto precinct voted for him overwhelmingly. People in our town love Lawrence and what it stands for and enjoy it's beauty and diversity. Please Lawrence community, don't put us all in the same bag as Mr. Brown . . . unfair and untrue of the majority of Eudora residents.

ScottyMac 3 years, 3 months ago

I've been up and down just about every street in Lawrence and I have never, ever seen even one business with such a sign. Am I missing them, or is he just making things up?

danmoore 3 years, 3 months ago

I am constantly defending Kansas and its embarrassing political views. Were it not for Lawrence I would not be able to do so.

dhupeseib 3 years, 3 months ago

Rep. Brown -- 1. Clean the log out of your own eye before you attempt to clean the log out of your neighbor's eye. 2. It is the height of poor manners to accept hospitality with one hand and slap your host with the other. 3. Bullies can be of any age and can even be a political party. The abilities to welcome all thoughts and to look for the good in all are the hallmarks of a true statesman; apparently you have yet to achieve those abilities.

beau96 3 years, 3 months ago

Both liberals and conservatives really need to just go away. Folks that are too far left and right have one thing in common they are very loud and extremely disconnected with the silent majority. You idiots chastise Anthony Brown for name calling and then turn around and call him names. Can you say hypocrisy? And all of your opinions come from a media that has no clue what the word context means. I am sure this story has been twisted just enough to get all of you going the way you are. Anthony is a good person who is far from dumb. I am not a republican or a democrat and I have to say I like him even if our views do not align sometimes. Until you dumba!@#$ get to know somebody you should really keep the personal attacks to yourself. Ask yourself honestly right now does anything that he said have any amount of truth to it. Just for the record I am part of the “RENT IS TO DAMN HIGH PARTY” so I am not playing political favorites.

mushfish 3 years, 3 months ago

A. Brown says "too liberal" like it's a bad thing.

Matthew Del Vecchio 3 years, 3 months ago

My favorite hippie bumper sticker that I've seen so far is...."Lawrence 28.7 square miles of sanity surrounded by Kansas".

I love Lawrence because I grew up in mid&western KS.

jayhawklawrence 3 years, 3 months ago

I like to think of Lawrence as a highly diverse community and a "melting pot" rich with different ideas, cultures and backgrounds. All of these differences contribute to making it an exciting place to live. People in Lawrence tend to highly value educational opportunities, learning new things and personal growth. They are open minded and interested in different ideas.

The attitude that Brown expresses is something that I have heard on occasion and one not based on facts.

It sounds like in Brown's world, any differing opinion might be looked upon with a lot of suspicion and might be considered a threat.

beaujackson 3 years, 3 months ago

A substantial number of Lawrence residents are paid by taxpayer funds, and are typically liberal Democrats.

Is it possible this is why Douglas Co. is slow in receiving state funds (eg.: 50 years overdue US 59 highway improvement)?

It's difficult for the "tail" (Lawrence) to wag the ""dog" (KS).

bendover61 3 years, 3 months ago

Those with "tolerance" seem to be intolerant of his opinion. Hypocrites.

autie 3 years, 3 months ago

Yup, Rep. Brown is a bigger boondoggle of an embarrassement than any smarty pants liberal ever thought of....And guess what? I really believe that the mass of moderate Republicans really wish the conservative rightys like this would shut their pie hole. What and watch for the next Republican party implosion over the next couple of years as those with reason battle against the populist knot heads.

Yogi 3 years, 3 months ago

I hate to break it to Rep. Brown, but the rest of the country and world considers the state of Kansas to be out of touch and an embarrassment . Lawrence and the University of Kansas do far more to show the great things about our state than some narrow minded right winged fool in the House of Reps.

Jimo 3 years, 3 months ago

I would kindly ask the representative to examine himself for a posterior orifice and deposit his opinions there for safekeeping in trust of a future day when "well-respected" Kansas stops exporting jobs and people to the other states!

kudzutexas 3 years, 3 months ago

Well, I'm from the Lawrence area. And quite frankly I'm embarrassed by the rest of the State. I wish they wouldn't vote against their own interest. But, I won't say anything because I want to fall in line for Mr. Brown. I'd hate to go to jail for political dessent.

booyalab 3 years, 3 months ago

"Maybe Lawrence is the conscience of the state," See, this is why liberal is a dirty word now. There seems to be no humility or levelheadedness in a liberal. If she had said "Well, they are entitled to their opinions. But we're probably going to continue being this way." I would have been bowled over by the lack of elitism. But she couldn't just state things as they are, she had to conjure some imaginary moral spectrum that applies to insentient cities, and place Lawrence at the top. It's loopy.

Personally, I think Lawrence could use more liberalism. Classic liberalism.

irvan moore 3 years, 3 months ago

thank you Barbara Ballard, it's nice to see an elected official who remembers where they came from.

macon47 3 years, 3 months ago

lawrence is a legend in its own mind

just_me 3 years, 3 months ago

Has anyone seen the bumper sticker "Lawrence, Kansas. 29 square miles of sanity surrounded by Kansas". Too funny. I LOVE Lawrence and if by 'too liberal' he means 'accepting and diverse', then bring it on. Don't get me wrong, I love the rest of Kansas too, but I'm sure glad Ilive here!!

mcontrary 3 years, 3 months ago

It’s just terrible how free thinking can expose the fallacy of conservatism and creat liberals. Hopefully, KU will foster more free thinking.

clorox 3 years, 3 months ago

Lawrence is a great town if you are a KU basketball player. You are allowed to cheat, lie, steal, and rape innocnet women. Rock chauk sht on the bottom of my shoe.

staunch_repbulican 3 years, 3 months ago

As a republican and a long time Eudora resident. I can say I am embarrassed about Anthony Brown. He does not have the majority support of Eudora or Douglas County. In fact I have heard many educators tell me and others do NOT vote for Anthony Brown. I am also very thankful he is a burned out educator because after his comments I HOPE he never steps foot in a classroom again. I have personally met him and these comments don't surprise me. Although these comments are embarrassing, he does not speak nor act like a person with an education. After thinking about these comments I believe they are a blessing in disguise. I hope these comments will bring out a real republican candidate that will represent Eudora and Douglas County. So thank you Anthony Brown for your words of wisdom. It gives us hope for 2012............because the best campaign tactic for his opponent is to allow him to talk. However, if there is not a worthy repbulican I guess I will vote for a democrat.

Carol Bowen 3 years, 3 months ago

It looks like State Rep. Anthony Brown has control issues.

Thunderdome 3 years, 3 months ago

Not to change the subject, but our Mayor's comment was also humorous...sort of. I don't know how anyone could possibly hold up Lawrence as a positive example for economic development. How full is East Hills Business Park after twenty five years? We struggle to keep our home-grown businesses here let alone attract major new businesses. Mr. Amyx is a good man, but his compass is off on this one. We should be seeking the Governor's help on the issue, not looking for empty praise.

Bladerunner 3 years, 3 months ago

Brown 1 Ballard.....not even in the game.........

Julesbug 3 years, 3 months ago

Let's get real. I'm pretty sure that in the bigger picture, Kansas isn't very well respected and is seen as too conservative. Sure, I know there are a few people out there dying to move here so their kids can go to public schools and learn about creationism and the abstinence-only lifestyle all at once, but I think a majority of people probably see that as a joke "that needs to change."

Honestly, Lawrence is far from perfect, but I would much rather live here than Eudora.

tomatogrower 3 years, 3 months ago

So this guy would like to get rid of KU, even though a huge chunk of the people he represents work there? Get real guy. Eudora is really just a suburb of Lawrence anyway. Great way to win votes. Advocate getting rid of their jobs.

red_devil 3 years, 3 months ago

ksrush 3 years, 3 months ago

Larryville, a wannabe college town. Of course it' full of libs, dirty hippies and that sort. Brown nailed it.

mrchips 3 years, 3 months ago

goodcitizen speaks the truth.....AB is a buffoon!

goodcitizen 3 years, 3 months ago

Unfortunately, AB represents not just Eudora, but SE, North, and NW Lawrence and a swath of the k-10 corridor running down to Lenexa. It is called Gerrymandering and I don't have any hope of the R controlled legislature correcting what they did 10 years ago by design. I know because I have tried to help Dems run against him for the past 3 cycles. He generally loses DG county (including Eudora), but the Johnson County folk vote for the "R". Also he is NOT a public school teacher---he is a burn-out former school teacher and currently a carpenter--who in the election cycle before this one was not even endorsed by the carpenter's union because he had broken promises to them (this time they remained silent as it became apparent that the way the district is structured his seat is secure). The only hope of better representation is to run a smart moderate Republican in the primary in 2012, but start fund raising now because AB has the power of the Koch Bros behind him.

conservative 3 years, 3 months ago

I'd say brown summed up lawrence pretty darn well and ballard is deluded.

irvan moore 3 years, 3 months ago

i think it was rude to talk bad about the people giving you a free breakfast.

mrjcg2 3 years, 3 months ago

Who cares what he thinks, his credibility is pretty low, at least with me. If he approved of Lawrence, I'd probably have to move.

TJ_in_Lawrence 3 years, 3 months ago

By the way, did anyone notice that Gov. Brownback has said he does not want to repeal the 1 cent sales tax. I believe his veto will trump Mr. Brown's misguided belief that it should be repealed.

TJ_in_Lawrence 3 years, 3 months ago

I choose to live in Lawrence. Raise my family here. I am a conservative. I love Lawrence. I have many friends who are far more liberal in their ideaologies than I am. Some of those ideas I disagree with and we often banter back and forth about our difference in opinions. We laugh at each other and sometimes we just shake our heads and wonder how in the heck did we ever get to be friends. But in the end, we are both better for having the differences in our lives and opinions. Not that we ever really change each other's minds, but we have strong relationships that are based on true friendships that stand up to the pressures of having different opinions. I still think they are wrong, but I love em anyway! Just as they think I am wrong, and choose to love me inspite of it. Wow... I like Lawrence, and afterall, Mr. Brown is wrong. Everybody loves KU, it's basketball season!!!

mrchips 3 years, 3 months ago

TheSycho....Mr. Brown was a school teacher...for only 4 years....not sure what happened there. More telling is that before he was elected he was basically contract labor for different businesses around town......

yourworstnightmare 3 years, 3 months ago

Many in this state, including Brown apparently, cannot stand diversity of life or opinion. I think this is because they have so little trust or conviction in their own ways, that the different ways of others become terribly threatening.

The root of intolerance is insecurity. We have a lot of that in Kansas.

Bob Forer 3 years, 3 months ago

Whats really scary is that this guy is a public school teacher.

true_patriot 3 years, 3 months ago

Brown, regarding free speech in Lawrence: "That has to change". He wouldn't know the founding principles if they bit him in the ass.

yourworstnightmare 3 years, 3 months ago

"Maybe Lawrence is the conscience of the state,"

Maybe, but I would say its more like the adult of the state, surrounded by a bunch of whining spoiled children who call themselves conservatives.

yourworstnightmare 3 years, 3 months ago

""KU and Lawrence are not very well-respected," said Brown."

Considering the source of this comment, Lawrence should be flattered.

mrchips 3 years, 3 months ago

Non-educated, local yokel makes the news....great!

Anthony Brown is a dolt....the guy had no career and did odd jobs before he entered the local political arena.

Having no future, he realized that his right wing philosophy would be a nice springboard for "some kind of future" for his family. I'm imagine in his mind he is doing the "Lords work" by dissing the liberal bias here in Lawrence.

It's fortunate for Mr. Brown and his family that the political winds are blowing in his favor thanks to the Koch brothers and racism in America. What comes around, goes around. Karma's a leveling force, and I'm sure at some point Karma wil catch up with Mr. Brown .

dannop 3 years, 3 months ago

what a joke. this is who you chose to represent you, eudora. aside from the idiotic lawrence comments: typical conservative argument that a 1 cent sales tax cut is going to magically help the kansas economy somehow. when was the last time you almost bought something, and then said to yourself, "oh no. sales tax is 9 percent instead of 8 percent. i better not buy this thing." yeah. never.

nobody1793 3 years, 3 months ago

I think we all need to have a beer of reconciliation on the White House lawn.

chalice2 3 years, 3 months ago

"That needs to change." That sounds a little threatening. Is diversity really all that threatening? Is a bit of blue in a red state so dreadful? Purple is a lovely hue.

thebcman 3 years, 3 months ago

As a citizen of Eudora, I feel I have the right to tell all of you to go straight to hell. We don't claim Anthony Brown as our own. He does not represent our views. Watch out before you attack us, Lawrence. We are filled with Rednecks With Guns and Plenty of Ammo.

CorkyHundley 3 years, 3 months ago

"Maybe Lawrence is the conscience of the state,"

ha ha good one Barb.

Maybe Larryville has a festish for itself thinking it is a conscience of Kansas.

Fetishes are hard to deal with. Fetishizing about Larryville probably can be treated.

Besides. What would Larryville be without Naismith and taxpayer money to pay for things in the village.

They think so highly of themselves that they make visitors PAY money to leave the trollpike.

BigPrune 3 years, 3 months ago

As a hard line left wing liberal double rainbow tree bagger democrat, I totally agree with Mr. Brown.

Lawrence is the red headed step child of Kansas.

Frightwig 3 years, 3 months ago

He's probably a decent guy deep down inside. His comments merely sound like that of a person who hasn't had much interaction with other cultures. I'm guessing that he lived his entire life in a small town, doesn't have a passport and still refers to Asian people as "Orientals". Rather than hate the guy, we should take the high road and help him. Can some of this town's friendliest hippies invite him over for dinner? Seriously, I think it it would be productive and, being a politician, he'd probably take advantage of the opportunity to reach out and meet people. It may just change his heart.

Clark Coan 3 years, 3 months ago

During WWII Eudora (and Desoto) were flooded with mountain people (the PC name for Hillbillies) from the Ozarks who came to work in the Sunflower Army Ammunitions Plant. Unfortunately, they were backward culturally, educationally and politically. Anyway, the children of these immigrants were so backward educationally, special federal funds had to be used to try to bring them up to their Kansas peers. The effort may have helped some but I suspect the grandchildren and great grandchildren are still behind their peers.

luvmyjhawktattoo 3 years, 3 months ago

You people that are so quick to make reference to Eudora like it's a crap-hole really piss me off. It makes you sound as if people that LIVE in Lawrence are so much better than those that live in Eudora? Really? Do you realize how many educators that live in Lawrence drive East everyday because Lawrence isn't the best paying or one of the supposed "elite" district's in the state? Yes, there are several Eudora people that go into Lawrence everyday for work. There are also several that drive East for work. To say that Lawrence is solely responsible for Eudora's existence is ridiculous. Does it help Eudora to survive? Of course. But, don't some things go hand in hand? Everyone helps make the world go round no matter what community they live or work in. One could also say then that Lawrence would hurt without KU. But the comments of "Look at the hick, backwards area he represents" and "Wasn't Eudora where a black man was arrested for suspiciously mowing a yard?" and "This is why I've been saying all along that we should take Eudora. Eudora is weak and will fall easily. Once we have control, we could build the new homeless shelter there, develop a new Douglas County trash dump, etc." Really people? And the reason Lawrence is seen as the Liberal hotspot of the state is because in every election there's ONE county in the entire state that swings Democrat. Douglas County, Lawrence. Every person watching the news in the entire state and KC area sees that Douglas County is the one different color on the map. It is perceived that way because of the elections. Is it wrong to be that way? No. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the whole democratic process. Maybe he's simply saying that there needs to be a "give a little, take a little" mentality. It's as if Lawrence is the red-headed stepchild of the state. The one, that no matter what, will NOT budge. Stubborn, if you will. Lawrence doesn't have to be like everyone else, but everyone needs to be willing to "give a little, take a little."

bobberboy 3 years, 3 months ago

Eudora you must be really proud.

somedude20 3 years, 3 months ago

Eudora is officially a second class city: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/dec...

watchout for number one and make sure you don't step in number two (Eudora)

2002 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm a pretty conservative guy. I wouldn't vote for this idiot Brown of he were running against the poster child for far left liberal causes. His comments are insulting. He is an ill informed, ignorant and incompetent.

I am willing to donate to the campaign of anyone that runs against him.

JMarkC 3 years, 3 months ago

As a member of the Overland Park community, my opinion of Eudora has just plummeted. I'm very thankful that we have Lawrence - and all of that liberal thinking that goes with it- as a part of this state.

Oread420 3 years, 3 months ago

bobberboy 3 years, 3 months ago

P.S.S. brown you're way to conservative for me. So shut the (*^% up !

bobberboy 3 years, 3 months ago

P.S. just one more reason I'm glad I'm no longer a republican.

bobberboy 3 years, 3 months ago

Geeeezzz maybe anthony should change his name to brownback. No one cares what you think brown - go back under your rock.

vanguard3 3 years, 3 months ago

"Kansas: As bigoted as you think." Gee, you should think about making a bumper sticker out of that gem.

kansasreason 3 years, 3 months ago

The biggest mistake made by most who read Brown's statements is to presume he thinks before he speaks or has any awareness about what is going on around him. I have followed his political career from the beginning (and over the Legislature webcams where he is often napping and picking his nose in committee) and I can assure all of you there isn't a light on upstairs. He just blabs whatever sounds trendy or easy. I wouldn’t even give him enough credit to have fully read or comprehended the Sarah Palin talking points he plagiarizes. He often contradicts himself and he has little idea of the big picture.

Of course, Eudora benefits from Lawrence. There are no jobs in Eudora. Everyone who lives there works or studies in Lawrence or KC. Brown wouldn't know that because he hasn't had a real job in years. He couldn't even get tenure as a teacher. At best I would call him a success by default.

Brown is just an example of someone with good timing who got elected for his first term and then had a few times around where he ran unopposed. He almost always loses Eudora in the primaries. And, I have seen him at many community events…he is often ignored and alone. It is just a case of a community that is not organized enough or cares. He is anything but a mandate from the people.

As a conservative, I can whole-heartedly say what I disagree with most about Brown is his stupidity far over his politics. It has to be hard living in those greasy, ill fitting suits.

Ryan Wood 3 years, 3 months ago

Kansas: As bigoted as you think.

vanguard3 3 years, 3 months ago

Wichita? Now there is a nice town. The son of my sweetie went to school there, a fine institution that WSU. He's got a high-paying job in the aircraft industry now.

Basketball is king. You got Mr. Naismith planted a couple of miles from campus. Dean Smith, Adolph Rupp and NC and Kentucky, respectively, now there's something to brag about. However, basketball is a game, nothing more. I go to about ten games a year to observe athletic competition at a high level, in fact, going to a game tonight. Loved the Hawks since I was a little kid. I think the tradition and passion for the game in Kansas is something to behol, even unique, almost a religion for some. But, in the grand scheme of life, it ain't all that important. Some might consider that sacrilegious, but, Jimmy crack corn and...

jayhawklawrence 3 years, 3 months ago

Really sad comments by an elected State Representative and very ignorant.

And that is our impression of the Kansas State Legislature.

seeker_of_truth 3 years, 3 months ago

Look at the hick, backwards area he represents.

vanguard3 3 years, 3 months ago

"Just another reporter trying to start something." Good point. We have no idea of the time lapse or omissions in Brown's statements. Not endorsing or defending Brown, I don't do that for politicians. Just legitimately questioning the journalistic intent to garner readership.

thinkagain 3 years, 3 months ago

Lawrence actually has EXPERIENCED business growth. Even though, Anthony Brown's district, includes part of Johnson County, I'm not sure any of the parts he represents have experienced business growth. And if Johnson County doesn't like "liberal" Lawrence, maybe they should stay home on game day and send their kids to college in Wichita.

kansasmom 3 years, 3 months ago

Pretty POSITIVE this wasn't said by Rep Brown. Just another reporter trying to start something.

vanguard3 3 years, 3 months ago

Key West was ok, too, but it got old after about a year. Constant streams of tourists coming in on cruise ships, panhandlers by the boatload and 24-7 365 days a year Jimmy Buffet music and party mentality gets old after a while. I can state with the Nth degree of certainty, though, that Lawrence is much better than Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. You guys have more stores and restaurants, but the big ticket item is that you have roads leading in four directions if you choose to get out of town for a while. Oh, and you're not surrounded by angry communists with guns, tanks, ships and fighter aircraft who hate Yanquis. That's a big one, too.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 3 months ago

What Kansas town besides Lawrence has had a foot-in-a-bucket incident?

vanguard3 3 years, 3 months ago

While there are some of the more authentic ethnic restaurants like Mad Greek and Paisano's in town, indifference is what most people I know exhibit toward Lawrence. It seems that Brown and some of the people in Lawrence take the subject a bit too seriously. At the end of the day, it's still just another medium-sized town in Kansas. Go live in the DC metro area, Monterey or San Diego, California, Miami, San Juan, Puerto Rico, even Panama City, Panama, and you'll see that Lawrence is a nice quiet little 'burgh, but certainly nothing to fight or rave about.

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 3 months ago

Lawrence is kooky and liberal, eh?

Now, why is that? Because Lawrence banned smoking? Well, Salina banned smoking before Lawrence did.

Is it because Lawrence bans "personal" behavior? Well, Manhattan has banned talking on cell phones while driving. Lawrence has not.

Is it because of loose moral laws? Well, several cities in Johnson County allowed Sunday sales of alcohol before Lawrence did.

Seems like most of it is just name calling, so shame on anyone who takes name calling to be fact. Here's something real to think about -- Douglas County is the 2nd fastest growing community in the state.

That's amazing, given how "the rest of Kansas" is so turned off by the kooks and liberals in Lawrence. Several Kansas counties lost a double-digit percentage of their population over the last 10 years. Maybe Rep. Brown and those who think like him should be looking at what is wrong in those communities instead.

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 3 months ago

People like Mr. Brown, who evidently did not have the opportunity or ability to pursue higher education, frequently resent those who did.

It's called envy.

Steven Gaudreau 3 years, 3 months ago

In the Kansas family, Lawrence is the kooky, hippie sister that had the illegitimate baby and lives at her parents house. Everyone loves her the most but her life is a train wreck and needs help from all the others.

enofaed 3 years, 3 months ago

anthony.brown@house.ks.gov

For anybody interested, Rep. Brown can be reached here. Im sure he would love to hear some of your opinions.

Adrienne Sanders 3 years, 3 months ago

I would like to see his evidence that KU & Lawrence are so disliked by the rest of the state. So far, all I see is a statement of his own opinion. I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't like Lawrence but I'm not sure it's an overwhelming opinion like this guy seems to think.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 3 years, 3 months ago

I could sit and post all day on how many different ways this guy is wrong. He sits in the very shadow of KU and Lawrence and says we aren't respected?

The only reason why Eudora has running water is because we flush our toilets every day in Lawrence. That is, of course, a metaphor, but it carries more truth than what Mr. Brown said.

Steven Gaudreau 3 years, 3 months ago

I am not a Liberal. I love living in Lawrence. Lawrence is the only tolerable city in Kansas as far as I'm concerned. As much as I dislike liberals, I dislike right wing nut jobs even more.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 3 years, 3 months ago

I read something like this and I think "Heck, ANYONE can be in government. I should run. I can't be any dumber than that guy."

I'm as conservative as they come, but that statement wasn't conservative, it was just plain dumb.

Liberals have a right to be liberal. It makes no sense to say "Lawrence is a problem because it refuses to join the homogamy of the rest of the State."

Eudora has tripled in size in the past 20 years because of Lawrence's growth. He has a "problem" with that?

blindrabbit 3 years, 3 months ago

As a "liberal Republican" I opt for dropping the word "liberal". It has been muck-raked ad nauseum by the inward looking conservatives. I consider myself and my like thinking compadres as "Progressives". In that case the opposition should be labeled as "Regressives".

mutualrespect37 3 years, 3 months ago

While I'd love to second Rep Ballard's lofty praise of Lawrence, I'm sad to report my experience that whatever virtues may flourish here conscience in many cases is not one of them. Like the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education(FIRE) says"We've always known that universities can't defend in public what they do in private." Certainly there exist bad seeds aplenty among higher-ed administrators and HR people outside of KU- Lawrence, but combined with the complete backwoods culture here that doesn't exactly shine with emotional intelligence and respect for equal rights, and the hair-raisingly gothic hillbilly misunderstanding or lack of understanding of the law and U.S. constitution Douglas County and KU-Lawrence stand out as unique.

BigDog 3 years, 3 months ago

Cappy, given the budget/economic situation in California; the fleeing of people/businesses from California..... I sure hope we don't model ourselves after California. But I digress.

If anyone has been around Anthony very long you would know that he is not a deep thinker and makes a lot of these kinds of statements. He is correct that many legislators do view Lawrence much differently than other Democratic areas within the state.

Anthony regularly makes statements that don't match up with reality as most see it. There will be an attempt to kill the sales tax increase. It is a bit iffy that it would pass the House, it will not pass the Senate. The Senate President, Majority Leader and enough Senators oppose the idea that it will not happen. That group along with Democratic Senators have enough intelligence to know that filling a $550 million hole is going to be difficult without adding another $300+ million hole if sales taxes lowered.

verity 3 years, 3 months ago

Will the state districts be changed as a result of the 2010 census? If so, Brown might find at least part of Lawrence in his district---

It's one thing to say that the rest of the state sees Lawrence and KU as being too liberal. It's quite another to say that it needs to change. That is making a very big and unwarranted jump.

dlowell 3 years, 3 months ago

Who bases their respect for a place and community solely on their political leanings, honestly? Living in Lawrence for four years while I attended KU, my love for the place was never based on the political beliefs of its people.

However, I do agree with Brown that the perception of Lawrence as "TOO liberal" needs to change. Not the actual beliefs of those who live there, but the perceptions of others. Because that perception is definitely wrong. A lot of Lawrence's people might be liberal, but it's not like it's Soviet Russia, or even San Francisco. It's still very much Kansas.

lilygrace 3 years, 3 months ago

OMG. I live in Eudora. I am about as liberal as one can get. Mr. Brown is apparently a dim bulb just like most of the other residents in Kansas. After living in various Kansas communities, Douglas County is the only place in this gosh-awful State that I can stand to live in. If my spouse didn't have a business in Lawrence, I would have left this h-hole a long time ago.

jafs 3 years, 3 months ago

"many people across the state see Lawrence as too liberal"

This may be a true statement, but so what? Fortunately, we don't live in a country in which "many people" can dictate to the rest of us what to do or how to think.

It is unfortunate that "many people" in this country seem to have forgotten that we are not a simple "majority wins" country - there are fundamental rights guaranteed by the Constitution, and a system of checks and balances.

There was certainly a time when "many people" in the South thought that slavery was just fine.

verity 3 years, 3 months ago

More laughter and/or agreement with the last four comments. At the least you can say that liberals have a sense of humor.

tolawdjk 3 years, 3 months ago

Wasn't Eudora where a black man was arrested for suspiciously mowing a yard?

Kirk Larson 3 years, 3 months ago

Just like California, Lawrence blazes the trail that the rest of the slow-pokes will eventually follow. Too liberal? Not liberal enough if you ask me.

edjayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

And I think there are 3 mobile homes for every person who lives there.

edjayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Eudora's background is people from the Ozarks who moved to the are to work at the ammunition plant. Problem is, they stayed.

thatonedude 3 years, 3 months ago

"Why aren't you like the rest of the state? This upsets me! Be exactly like us, or else you don't count!"

TecmoSuperBowlChristianOkoye 3 years, 3 months ago

Compare the growth rate of Lawrence to those of the rural communities of western Kansas and tell me why "that needs to change." Sadly, there are those that use to political leanings of Lawrence as a reason to punish the town and the university financially and then wonder why so many young and educated Kansans flee the state upon graduation.

1029 3 years, 3 months ago

Once we have control, we could build the new homeless shelter there, develop a new Douglas County trash dump, etc. And we'll also be better positioned to keep an eye on Johnson County should they ever decide to try anything.

deathpenaltyliberal 3 years, 3 months ago

I know and like conservative Repubs, even married one, so I know that Anthony Brown is a just a tool trolling for votes. This pointless name-calling demonstrates that he is not interested in good public policy, just scoring political points.

RonBurgandy 3 years, 3 months ago

Thank goodness I moved out of this moron's district. How does one show a complete lack of common sense and judgement? Ask Mr. Brown.

tolawdjk 3 years, 3 months ago

Where is Eudora anyway? I thought they were unincorporated?

Scott Bonnet 3 years, 3 months ago

Comments from Mr. Brown show he has no sense of reality. I have found that most Kansans admire KU and the Lawrence community. As an Emporian, I look forward to every opportunity to get down on Mass St. Mr. Brown's comments betray the sort of ignorance we find when we refuse to associate with those with whom we differ. As a radical centrist Republican, I am tired of the irrational hatred directed at all people, things and places not aligned with the far right. Good gravy Eudora, is this guy the best you can offer?

PFC 3 years, 3 months ago

I wonder if Brownback realized this when he decided to go to KU?

irvan moore 3 years, 3 months ago

and that's why i live in Lawrence.

livinginlawrence 3 years, 3 months ago

The quote from the article that really irks me is Brown's "That needs to change." Assuming the article hasn't taken the line out of context and he is in fact labeling the liberal inclinations of Lawrencians as that which ought to change, his attitude in no way resembles that which one would hope to have in office.

MyName 3 years, 3 months ago

Hardly the most idiotic statement I've heard from a KS Rep, but I think anyone with half a brain would realize that Eudora would hurt if KU and Lawrence wasn't here and wasn't the way it is.

thepianoman 3 years, 3 months ago

WOW. What a potent statement. I completely disagree with this man. Not all conservative Republicans would agree with him --- because I don't!!! I am a 29-year-old conservative Republican and find Lawrence to be an exciting, energizing college town. I live in a rurual area (Oskaloosa) and look froward to making weekend trips to Lawrence for food, friends, KU athletics and other forms of entertainment.

Yes, Lawrence is Liberal. Am I? Nope. Conservative all the way. One can be a CR and still enjoy what Lawrence has to offer. On the flip side, one can be Liberal and live in a rural area, small town, etc.

I digress........

davidnta 3 years, 3 months ago

Well let me say that I disagree with your conservative opinion because I think you're wrong :)

sinedie 3 years, 3 months ago

What a useless comment by Mr. Brown. Instead of discussing the actual policy issues that matter to people, he throws out a label and thinks he made a point. It doesn't take any brain power to call somebody a name. Tell us why your ideas are better. But again, that would require thinking.

Timothy Eugene 3 years, 3 months ago

I agree with the spirit of what Brown is saying. Lawrence IS the liberal hotspot of Kansas, and the rest of Kansas knows that, and thus doesn't respect Lawrence because of that. I am with the rest of Kansas. At the same time, it is a free country, and Lawrence can be liberal if they want to. Even if they are wrong. That doesn't make me "intolerant" but someone with a different opinion. But as evidenced by Sychophant, it didn't take long for a truly intolerant liberal to start calling names, did it?

Bob Forer 3 years, 3 months ago

Well, Anthony Brown, I have no respect for you. So there. Now go ahead and crawl back into the hole of intolerance you crawled out of.