Archive for Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Kansas and Douglas County see more households leaving than coming in 2010

A contractor walks out of a home under construction in the 3900 block of Bellflower, just west of Monterey Way. Housing starts were up slightly in Lawrence last year, but the overall construction industry remained weak.

January 5, 2011

Kansas is one of nine states noted in United Van Lines’ 2010 migration study for the high rate of people leaving the state. The others are Missouri, North Dakota, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New Hampshire.

Whether it was the economy or a return of rural flight, more folks were moving out of Kansas than moving in last year.

Where they're coming from

Forty-eight households moved into Douglas County in 2010. Here's a look at where they came from:

1 from Arizona

2 from Pennsylvania

1 from South Dakota

3 from Texas

4 from Virginia

3 from Washington

Where they're going

Seventy-three households moved from Douglas County this past year. Here's a look at where they went:

1 to Alabama

1 to Pennsylvania

2 to South Carolina

1 to South Dakota

9 to Texas

4 to Virginia

3 to Washington

The state was one of nine noted in United Van Lines’ 2010 migration study for the high rate of people leaving the state.

After several years of people coming and going from Kansas at a fairly balanced rate, a shift occurred in 2010. Of the 3,370 families United Van Lines moved, 44.1 percent were coming to Kansas and 55.9 percent were leaving.

Kansas hasn’t seen such a gap since 2002, according to the company’s data.

The balance was even more off kilter in Douglas County, where 48 households moved into the county and 73 left. Throughout the years, data from the country’s largest moving company have been shown to accurately reflect the migration patterns of regions.

Joe Monaco, public information officer for the Kansas Department of Commerce, wouldn’t comment specifically on the data, but said he wasn’t surprised that the numbers showed more people leaving the state than coming in.

“We are talking about major long-term trends in the Midwest; it’s certainly nothing new,” he said.

Other Midwest states with high outbound migration in 2010 included Michigan, Missouri, North Dakota, Illinois and Ohio.

Monaco said the Department of Commerce has spearheaded a number of campaigns to keep recent college graduates in Kansas and to bring alumni back to the state.

Data from the Department of Labor show that, as of November, jobs have grown by .5 percent over the past year. In all, 6,900 new jobs have been added.

But still, Tom Kern, CEO and president of the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce, said the out migration numbers could be the result of a down economy and its impact on the aviation industry and light manufacturing.

In Douglas County, he pointed to jobs lost at Amarr Garage Door and Sauer-Danfoss.

“It isn’t surprising given the context of how the recession has effected the industry,” Kern said.

With the promise of a new plastic manufacturer coming to town and an expansion of another plastic manufacturing company, Kern hopes those out migration numbers will turn around.

And Monaco said that while population data show people leaving western Kansas at high rates, Johnson County has had one of the most successful business recruitment efforts in the country in the past few years. He also said there is hope for more job growth with a rebound in the aviation industry and growth in wind energy.

“We are optimistic, but, sure, folks are always going to come and go,” Monaco said.

Nationally, New Jersey edged out Michigan for the percentage of residents leaving the state, at 62 percent .

So where was everyone moving to?

According to the study, Washington, D.C., had the highest percentage of people moving into its borders, followed by Oregon, North Carolina, Idaho and South Carolina.

Comments

nomansland 3 years, 3 months ago

With a nutjob like Brownback for governor, I would expect this population decline to continue. Kansas doesn't have much going for it these days due to it's extreme right politics.

Alceste 3 years, 3 months ago

Lawrence would be a lot more enjoyable were it not for all your self-important four flushing. You live in Kansas, do ridiculous things all day, come home, and then gripe at each other about who is to blame for your lot in life. Have the courage to see yourselves as you are and your "city" as it is. Try to make it better if you can, and embrace the people who share your desire to make the "city" a better place to live. Discuss things, but don't act like they are the most important darn things in the whole world. They're not. This silly little suburb is a small speck of nothing in the middle of nowhere. Don't let it be your universe.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 3 months ago

Using housing starts to represent the economy is absolutely absurd. Why?

There are millions of homes on the market as a result of the Bush/Cheney home loan fraud on consumers,

There are 10,000 homes on the market in Kansas City which indicates a buyers market. People comment how the KCMO and Topeka markets are a better bang for the buck. Lawrence still has inflation problems

Why the push to build and put more properties on the market tells me there are people still living in the reckless spending "boom town economy" of the last 15 years paying out seriously inflated prices for homes.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 3 months ago

Lawrence provides a great balance. The state as a whole is right of center while the city is off to the left. For those of us in the middle, Lawrence provides a good balance. I just returned to Lawrence from California. English is a foreign language there, the schools are terrible while Orange County alone has more people than the whole state of Kansas. It's not sustainable. I'm glad to be home. By the way, when I moved here, I used a different company to move me so I have no idea what that means for this "study".

LJ Whirled 3 years, 3 months ago

The jobs of Kansas small towns are still be shipped to Mexico. Iola, for example, just lost another factory -- one that used to employ 500 workers -- to Juarez. We need to take a hard look at NAFTA's effect on rural America, and at the unintentional (?) incentives for corporations to move jobs out of the country. By saving a few bucks on labor costs, we are selling our way of life.

verity 3 years, 3 months ago

Am I missing something, or is this article based completely on United Van Lines statistics of who they moved?

If so, it is obviously and absolutely not scientific.

ksriver2010 3 years, 3 months ago

I love Lawrence. I moved here six months ago because of work. Now I am moving back because of work. I love Lawrence, but it is somewhat expensive to live here. But the views are great! Especially from the top of the hill at Wakarusa and Clinton Parkway looking south, and going south on Iowa past K10. I have noticed that it has been difficult to get a tech job in KC because they think Lawrence is too far away, and I have been told this a couple of times, which I think is ridiculous.

consumer1 3 years, 3 months ago

Smaar chal? U kaint speek gud inglich? Thus hears Merika dagnabbitt.

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 3 months ago

I've know a dirt cheap house for sale 3 bedrooms, 100 yr old fixer upper, west of Emporia if someone else needs to escape Lawrence taxes.

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 3 months ago

Where are they going to get away from the high taxes and unfriendly business climate of Lawrence?

8 to Massachusetts 7 to California

But don't let that get in the way of your ranting.

Denny2009 3 years, 3 months ago

We all I'm sure have seen that things haven't been going well with the ecnomy throughout the last few years. Our Country needs jobs, I'm sure everyone knows at least a couple people who are unemployed, actively seeking some sort of work. I know my friends, family, and I know people struggling to find work.

pace 3 years, 3 months ago

I wish i could read their plan for immigration reform. We need working visa's. Why open our borders and fight desperate people when we could have working visas, working borders and a modern responsive system. It is an enemy created by indolent legislatures.

bobberboy 3 years, 3 months ago

overly high construction costs keep running everyone out of town.

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 3 months ago

If things are so "bad" here, then why is Lawrence growing faster than the rest of the state?

Never let the facts get in the way of your ideological rant.

none2 3 years, 3 months ago

I already reported this on the map site, but I see it is here too. The body of the article is correct, but the comments on the map are wrong -- they say South Dakota instead of North Dakota.

karmaxs3 3 years, 3 months ago

Lawrence is a vortex. I finally got out after 20 years, and then promptly got sucked back in. Not happy about it. The only reason I'm here is b/c of the economy. Stinks here, but it's worse other places. I'd leave again in a heart beat.....winter sux. Among other things.

Heather Perry 3 years, 3 months ago

but i love kansas lived here most of my life but we have talked about and agreed we need to move out of lawrence maybe jefferson co lawrence is expensive and city seems to like wasting money fixin roads that dont need fixed when theres roads that have needed repair for years and continue to need repair GPS in trash trucks no jobs crackheads everywhere used to be there were bad neighborhoods where those ppl stayed junkies shootin up in the parks and leavin their needles lay right by the slide my child plays on yeah nice what my lovely hometown has become

Heather Perry 3 years, 3 months ago

and they wonder why the suicide rate has gone up

thuja 3 years, 3 months ago

Who else wants to whine? Life is yours, go get it.

northtown 3 years, 3 months ago

Who wants to live in a town with a manmade wetland and no jobs for the working folks?Just a retirement town,not a city-someday it will be the size of Eurdora,and all will be happy,or look like Ottawa,nothing downtown-one grocery and a walmart-What a nice place to live??

northtown 3 years, 3 months ago

Viper1962 3 years, 3 months ago

I lived in Kansas for over 40 years and left in December to move to Florida.

I have to say I don't miss it one bit. The sales tax here is about 6.5 percent (It's about 10 percent out at Legends now) and there is no personal property tax on cars. The property tax on housing seems higher in Florida.

Oh...and they don't have a State income tax here - that alone gave me a $4,700 a year increase in my net income.

For me Florida = Lower taxes, more disposable income, better weather, incredible entertainment options, and a great job.

Kansas = Skyrocketing taxes, horrible weather, less entertainment, whining educators, and a good job.

I'm pretty happy.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm leaving to move to TN at the end of this year. I can't wait to see Kansas behind me and I'm sure Kansas can't wait to see my back so we'll both be happy.

sputum 3 years, 3 months ago

I plan to leave when I retire. Kansas blows.

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 3 months ago

I think this 12 month data is much more interesting than the 10 year data from the US Census, which shows Douglas County is the 2nd fastest growing county in the state.

If you want to complain about a United Van Lines study, then how do you respond to the census data?

Douglas County is a place people want to live, sorry that is so upsetting to some folks.

average 3 years, 3 months ago

Not too meaningful, in some ways. North Dakota was on the 'most leaving' list, despite having the lowest unemployment rate in the nation for several years running.

CorkyHundley 3 years, 3 months ago

Paying the troll to visit fetish RDR 4 Genies in Larryville is expensive. Brown may be right. This here government town is unconscience or was it the conscience that Barb said, in the State.

The_Bends 3 years, 3 months ago

Note that this study tracks only United Van Lines' shipment patterns--not actual migration.

United's own data shows that it did 226k moves in 2006 and only 146k in 2010. With that in mind, this data says even less than the (very) little it usually says. It is basically just an advertisement.

You can't come to any meaningful conclusions based on this data.

toe 3 years, 3 months ago

I have noted this many times. Kansas is losing youth, the backbone of future growth. Kansas and Lawrence in particular, spends so much it is unaffordable to those that remain. Only government is growing. Taxes always increase in an economy dominated by government. But, the bills are in the mail. Kansas is in trouble. State jobs are on the line.

gl0ck0wn3r 3 years, 3 months ago

A community that discourages jobs, businesses and growth but encourages taxation... and you wonder why people are leaving? At least there will be plenty of room in the new library.

oneeye_wilbur 3 years, 3 months ago

And Kinedyne next month is laying off, so wilbur is told.

Are deaths counted in the loss of residents? How many of those actually moved to Lawrence to be in retirement homes and/or nursing homes?

Where is the real story Ms. Metz?

oneeye_wilbur 3 years, 3 months ago

ya think? when the city and the county stop giving away money they don't really have and when the school district begins to live within a reasonable budget and then the property taxes start declining, only then will Douglas County become more realistic to live in.

The financial decline is just beginning but no one wants to recognize such as the majority of employed folks in Douglas County work for governmental agencies and have not felt the pinch. A good bite on the &&uTTT might just wake up those in charge of spending.