Archive for Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Brock Berglund officially signs with KU football

QB says KU offense similar to one he played in HS

Quarterback Brock Berglund.

Quarterback Brock Berglund.

January 4, 2011, 10:54 a.m. Updated January 5, 2011, 12:47 a.m.

Three months away from the start of spring football practices, the Kansas University quarterback position became a little more crowded Tuesday, as the Jayhawks received a signed financial-aid agreement from Highlands Ranch, Colo., QB Brock Berglund.

Berglund, a three-star prospect from Valor Christian High, is ranked as the 13th-best dual-threat quarterback in the country. He’ll sign a national letter of intent in February and already is one of the prize gems of KU coach Turner Gill’s second recruiting class.

Though the depth of Berglund’s impact on KU remains to be seen, the 6-foot-4, 215-pound quarterback has received high praise from his new coach.

“Brock is the ideal student-athlete we want in our program,” Gill said Tuesday. “He has proven that he is a winner. He not only has great football skills, but he possesses great vision and tremendous leadership abilities.”

Berglund plans to arrive in Lawrence on Jan. 19 and will begin classes Jan. 21. Doing so will allow him to participate in spring drills, where he’ll compete with a handful of KU quarterbacks — including 2010 starters Jordan Webb and Quinn Mecham — for the right to lead the Jayhawks on the field this fall.

Though Berglund will be the most inexperienced member of KU’s crop of QBs, he has a couple of advantages that most incoming freshmen would not. For starters, his physical measurements place him at the top of the list, as he’s the tallest and most solid QB in the bunch. Beyond that, his high school ran a version of KU’s offense, something Valor Christian took from KU offensive coordinator Chuck Long’s days as an assistant at Oklahoma.

“Talking to coach Long, we can already have a conversation about the Kansas offense,” Berglund said. “It is like learning a whole new language, but it’s just putting a name with a name instead of learning a whole new scheme.”

Berglund expanded by saying an offensive set known as Bulldog by his high school team may be called Pit Bull at KU.

“Exactly,” Berglund said. “Bulldog is Pit Bull. That’s it. It’s studying vocabulary for your English test. It’s not that much different.”

Berglund said he would love to be KU’s starting QB next season but emphasized that he’ll compete as hard as he can and trust that things will work out the way they’re supposed to.

“I believe in my abilities and what God has blessed me with,” he said. “If I’m the first-string guy then I’m the first-string guy. If I’m a back-up, I’m a back-up. Wherever I land is where I land. But I’m gonna put everything out there, I’m gonna give it all I have.”

As for when next season’s starting quarterback might be revealed, Gill said in November that he would aim to settle the QB situation sooner than he did in 2010.

“I would hope so,” Gill said. “Again, you gotta go with what you see and make the best decision you can. I know that we’ll have great competition again and we want a guy that can rise up and raise the level of play of the offense and, hopefully, our whole football team.”

Comments

Jake Esau 4 years, 2 months ago

Nice pixelated photo... might want to switch and used the "enlarged" version as a side photo in the story.

MarchSadness 4 years, 2 months ago

It's a shame that Turner Gill has to be this kid's coach. He'll never reach his true potential with dumb-dumb still leading the way.

CreatureComforts 4 years, 2 months ago

One more year of mediocrity and Gill will be gone, leaving 3 more years for this kid to learn from someone who knows what they're doing.

gorilla10 4 years, 2 months ago

are you talking about heisman trophy finalist and former Nebraska quarterback/National Champion Turner Gill??? If so, what the hell are you smoking?

hammerhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Yep. It is sad to say, but I have to agree with you.

gorilla10 4 years, 2 months ago

Newsflash......Turner Gill is KU's coach. Jump on board because he isn't going anywhere!! Im sick of hearing you idiots talk trash on Gill. The players believe in him and so does the University....Its dumb fans like you that KU wants NOTHING to do with

DaBellaDaBall 4 years, 2 months ago

gorilla10 rules!

You know-nothing chumps with your anti-Gill idiocy are pitiful. The man is already recruiting some gems and has not even shifted out of first gear and you want to trash him. You "must have greatness right now" morons are almost as bad as those MU cry babies thinking they have been cheated out of greatness by the Pinkster. Laughable. They can't see a good thing when it stands right before their eyes.

The single biggest problem with KU football is the so-called fans. Once Gill starts winning, you will be there complaining that he should throw the ball more, yelling to go for it on 4th and 2 from our own 30 in the first half, and so on. Knotheads.

Jason Bailey 4 years, 2 months ago

My concern with Gill isn't his record (as you say, I expect that during transitions) but rather the sloppy play into November. I was seeing botched playcalling where players had no idea where they needed to be (resulting in timeouts), too many men on the field penalties, guys flying in from the sideline with 7 seconds on the playclock....stuff that we might see in September but certainly not November.

That's my concern...it seems there is too much "believe" and not enough "come to Jesus" moments.

CHEEZIT 4 years, 2 months ago

Texas, with all their 5-star recruits only won 2 more games than Kansas with mostly 2- star recriuts. Mack Brown must be a terrible coach????

gorilla10 4 years, 2 months ago

good point, too bad half the people commenting in here like the one above you have no clue about what it takes to win......

gorilla10 4 years, 2 months ago

"the caliber of Gill" what exactly is the caliber of Gill? What was the "caliber of Mangino" when he arrived or the "caliber of Terry Allen"?????......Thats what I thought, now shut your mouth!

independent_rebel 4 years, 2 months ago

Mack Brown IS a terrible coach. No coach does less with more than Mack Brown.

labmonkey 4 years, 2 months ago

Hmmm.... I thought he was 205 lbs in the oral commitment article. I bet he will be 6'5 240 lbs in LJworld stories by the fall.

TopJayhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Good get. If and when Turner starts winning, and I think he will. All of the Gill bashers will change their screen name and act like they have loved him all along. Cowards. Very easy to predict failure.

Jason Bailey 4 years, 2 months ago

You guys who think the Anti-Gill sentiment is due to Ws vs. Ls are missing the point. I'm not against Gill due to losses but rather the lack of accountability he has with his coaching staff and players. I saw players tweeting a few hours after humiliating losses, "Sorry we couldn't win one for the fans....Call of Duty is super cool, <<<< yessuh"

THAT is the problem from my vantage point. The players didn't care if they lost outside of the potential that it may cost them a future NFL deal. There was no "pain" inflicted for poor, inadequate performance. Just look at what Self did to the team this past week after their debacle where Morris was ejected. They paid for it...Morris admitted to the practice being the most difficult he's ever faced. That's a huge difference in coaching styles but in life (and Gill is all about teaching life lessons, per his own admission) there are consequences to failure (or a lack of execution).

I envision this team singing Kum-bye-ya after the SDSU loss.

gorilla10 4 years, 2 months ago

nobody cares.....you have no clue so save it

Armen Kurdian 4 years, 2 months ago

Jimmy Johnson went 1-15 in his first year at Dallas, but turned that program around. I'm not totally down on Gill, but I was very concered after the NDSU loss with his attitude in the post-game conference. Instead of a passionate, "This was a completely unacceptable performance, and it is my fault for not getting this team ready," kind of response, he was very cavalier w/his, "Well, it's just one game in a season," or words to that effect. For the money he's getting paid, he needs to get to a bowl game at the end of this season. Even if it's a bottom of the barrel game, like the soon-to-be, "Johnson & Johnson New and Improved Baby Oil Bowl," (made that up, but you get the picture). Attitude, anger, and conditioning. Then we'll see.