From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Jan. 3, 1971:
- After a record-breaking weekend of rain and snow, including a downpour of 2.03 inches of rain, Lawrence was a city of dangerous streets and ice-crusted snow. Conditions were not expected to improve very soon, as the predicted overnight temperature was from zero to five, with gusty winds.
- The ice on Potter Lake was “definitely not safe,” according to a Kansas University authority. Two or three more nights of below-freezing temperatures would be necessary before the ice was thick enough for skaters.
- Eight Lawrence taverns and clubs which didn’t have approved 1971 cereal malt beverage licenses were expected to be checked by police to be sure that no 3.2 beer was being sold on the premises. Without the license the taverns could still sell food, or with a private club license they could sell liquor and six per cent beer.
- A grease fire at the Chuck Wagon, 2408 Iowa, had caused an estimated $1,000 in damages over the weekend. The blaze had occurred in a vent pipe at the cafe. Another fire call involved a small incident at a residence at 324 Elm, where an electrical cord had shorted and set fire to a table cloth.