Archive for Monday, February 28, 2011

Timing uncertain for Kansas Senate debate on selling liquor in grocery, convenience stores

February 28, 2011

— Kansas Senate leaders aren't sure when their chamber will debate a bill phasing in sales of full-strength beer, wine and liquor at grocery and convenience stores.

Senate President Steve Morris says leaders are trying to gauge support for the measure.

The state's existing law lets grocery and convenience stores sell only what's called cereal malt beverage, or weak beer.

Under the bill, Kansas would freeze the number of liquor store licenses until 2017. But a grocery or convenience store could ask the state for a license if an existing liquor store went out of business. Liquor store owners also could sell their licenses to grocery and convenience stores.

The limit on how many grocery and convenience stores could receive liquor licenses would be abolished in 2017.

Comments

Bob Forer 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't like the idea of freezing the number of liquor licenses, as it represents a restraint on trade. Allowing owners to "sell" their liquor licenses to the highest bidding convenience and grocery stores would result in a windfall to those sellers. I would rather see the state increase the licensing fees for large grocery stores. Our state is broke. We could use the additional money for education.

trailertrash 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't think we have to worry about this bill...From what I have seen in this session and the last of our legislators, it must be a bill to take away someone's rights or protect the jobs of the republicans in office to even be considered. If it has to do with creating jobs or helping the economy, then we won't even consider it....What a joke this state has become....

Shardwurm 3 years, 1 month ago

I've traveled a lot and would love to say that Kansas is the only state still backwards on its liquor laws but I can't.

In North Carolina a liquor store is just that - liquor. If you want wine or beer you go to a grocery or convenience store. Similar laws in Virginia.

In other states (Missouri) you can get everything you want just about anywhere.

I don't see the purpose of forcing residents to go to a particular spot to purchase alcohol...but allowing liquor and wine in convenience and grocery stores would make those who choose to partake a lot easier.

HEY_FUQ 3 years, 1 month ago

All this bill will do is allow Kroger (among others) to make more money while locally owned liquor stores throughout the state will be hurt, shutting many of them down. The legislature should be debating ways to create more jobs, not creating ways to hurt longstanding businesses. Why is this being debated? I guess in the name of convenience.

BrooksideJayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

It won't defend the current system, but I think everyone should try to envision what the retail liquor landscape would look like if this passes. There would be lots of Coors, Bud and Miller and Black Box wine at Dillon's and the 7-Eleven. But would there be Bell's Two-Hearted Ale or Liberty School cabernet? I doubt it. Grocers and convenience stores would want to sell fast-moving items -- the very stock that tends to subsidize that big selection at larger retail liquor stores. Larger towns -- like Lawrence -- might be able to support a store or two that specializes in craft-brewed beers and wines from smaller wineries, but good luck finding Sierra Nevada pale ale in Chanute.

bobberboy 3 years, 1 month ago

I wonder if any politicians from Hutch are getting paybacks on this one ?

hammerhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

I am strongly in favor of allowing grocery stores in Kansas to sell wines and spirits. It is a total convenience for Kansans, especially older citizens. For example, my mother would never go to a liquor store (she is in her 90's) to get a bottle of wine (which is so good for her health) but she would pick one up at the grocery store.

This is an idea that finally needs to be acted upon in Kansas.