Archive for Monday, February 28, 2011

Share your ‘Only in Lawrence’ story on LJWorld.com

February 28, 2011

If Lawrence is anything, it's unique.

At some point, it's likely you've said, "Did that really just happen? I don't think that could happen anywhere but Lawrence."

Those are the stories we want to hear.

We're looking for the good, bad, funny, interesting, uplifting and weird tales that give Lawrence its "rare gem" quality. We'll feature some stories in videos on LJWorld.com and our favorite stories will run in the Journal-World print edition.

To submit your "Only in Lawrence" story, fill out the form below.

The deadline to submit your story is midnight on Wednesday, March 16, 2011. You may submit multiple stories, but please only submit the same story one time.

Questions? Send an e-mail to wmathews@ljworld.com.

Note: The data submitted in the form below is subject to the LJWorld.com user policy.

Google form

Only in Lawrence story submission form

Comments

RoeDapple 4 years, 5 months ago

oh . . . wow. Nope, can't go there. Ref: prospector's 3:58

Irenaku 4 years, 5 months ago

Uh, yeah....that would be Dennis, and he gives me the creeps, sorry. One Halloween when all the kids and families were downtown for the annual trick-or-treating event, he kept butting in line in front of these little kids. Not cool.

Majestic42 4 years, 4 months ago

Brotha's gotta get some candy, ya dig?

LadyJ 4 years, 5 months ago

Yes, it's time. ♣Free The Blog♣

LadyJ 4 years, 5 months ago

I was here in '69' and '70', need I say more? Well actually I had better not.

LadyJ 4 years, 5 months ago

How long do they hold on to evidence here?

LadyJ 4 years, 5 months ago

Suggestion, let us search for stories by the year. But it wasn't me, it was a friend of a friend.

homechanger 4 years, 5 months ago

Only in Lawrence can you get a property tax increase to pay for an 18 million dollar library that we do not need. During an economic crisis none the less.

equalaccessprivacy 4 years, 5 months ago

Only in Lawrence--insincerity out the ears and mindless aggression-- people obviously too dumb to put their brains in gear or help themselves who go around terrorizing strangers with predatory nosiness and an insufferably fake Christian do-gooder attitude.

BigPrune 4 years, 5 months ago

Would freeze dried hippie stories work?

Zachary Stoltenberg 4 years, 5 months ago

Three Words, "Rocky Horror Dillons" that place could have it's own volume by itself.

LadyJ 4 years, 5 months ago

snicker, some memories of a supposed bomb.

somedude20 4 years, 5 months ago

This one time, at band camp, wait, that was a movie. I remember, when I got back from Nam, I was trying to find a friend but this sheriff (who looked a lot like Brian Dennehy) gave me a hard time. They hit me with a high pressure hose and tried to hit me. I took a few of them out and stole a motorcycle and headed for the hills. The next thing I know the National Guard and a few dogs were trying to kill me so I fought back. I did not draw the first blood. Anyway, my friend, Colonel Samuel Trautman came to save the cops but I had to kill a few. I now live in the woods by the train station, would anyone like to grab a beer with me tonight?

monkey_c 4 years, 4 months ago

I don't want a pickle............dude just wants to ride on his motorcycle. Sorry, you brought Arlo to mind!

nobody1793 4 years, 5 months ago

If you think that all the things you're talking about happen "only in Lawrence," y'all need to get out more.

LadyJ 4 years, 5 months ago

Checked around the internet, didn't see any other towns that had a highschool "anti baccalaureate".

remember_username 4 years, 5 months ago

Sounds like someone is thinking of a sequel to the book "Cows are freaky when they look at you".

Keith 4 years, 5 months ago

That's how it will work, you'll provide the stories, the WorldCo will make the profit.

r_san 4 years, 5 months ago

Only in Lawrence - can you find this many hippies.

kernal 4 years, 5 months ago

You definitely need to get out of Larryville more often!

irvan moore 4 years, 5 months ago

ya know, a local attorney named Steve said it best. just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

manfred 4 years, 4 months ago

If everyone knew that, Twitter would not exist.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 5 months ago

This is the god's honest truth. My daughter can confirm it. This was over 20 years ago before Freestate HS was built. I walked into the admin office to enroll my daughter at LHS when I first moved here. In front of us was a teenage boy agitatedly arguing with a secretary that he needed to speak with the principal. Why? Because he was refusing to do a biology experiment with a fertilized chicken egg. Maybe Lawrence was the spawning ground for Operation Rescue.

swksgirl 4 years, 5 months ago

How about walking down the middle of Mass after a NCAA Championship win!!! And being told by the cop, you can chug your beer, but no bottles no cans!!!! I will never forget the site of the 40,000 plus people on Mass street that night! It was amazing and I am glad that I was there for that. Now that is an only in Lawrence story!!!!

Michelle Derusseau 4 years, 5 months ago

Only in Lawrence can you see a woman at Free State Brewery drinking a beer while breastfeeding her child.

nobody1793 4 years, 5 months ago

That's like every single Applebee's in Kentucky.

LadyJ 4 years, 5 months ago

I believe the fuss was about what time of night it was.

LadyJ 4 years, 5 months ago

......can the property tax appraisal come in at almost 30% higher than the realtor said I could hope to get for the property.

Tony Kisner 4 years, 5 months ago

I swear to God; I saw a family of four walking down Mass. The children were well behaved the mother sober and the father clean shaven. No hands out. Had to pinch myself.

Kampinqueen 4 years, 4 months ago

I was wondering if anyone remembered the guy with the fro and glasses who wore the tie dyed shirt waving the peace sign and just smiling at everyone who passed by him on 9th street?

rgwin 4 years, 4 months ago

Tan Man just retired from LMH, lives in trailer park (Mobile Home Village) north of hospital you can find him outside sunning as temps warm up.