Archive for Monday, February 28, 2011

Lawrence man charged with assaulting police officer during traffic stop

February 28, 2011

Louis. G. Galloway Jr.

Louis. G. Galloway Jr.

Douglas County prosecutors Monday filed several charges against a 20-year-old Lawrence man who was accused of injuring a Lawrence police officer Saturday morning during a traffic stop.

Prosecutors charged Louis G. Galloway Jr. with one count aggravated battery against an officer, which is a felony. They also filed misdemeanor counts of assault and battery on another officer, plus charges of driving on a suspended license, obstruction, theft and criminal damage to property.

Lawrence police said officers stopped Galloway about 5 a.m. in the 2100 block of West 26th Street, which led to an altercation between officers and the suspect. According to court and police records, the theft and criminal damage charges stem from an allegation Galloway damaged a cooler and stole 14 beer cases from Holiday Inn Lawrence, 200 McDonald Drive.

A judge Monday set Galloway’s bond at $75,000. Police said Saturday one officer was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital for treatment with injuries that were not life threatening, and Sgt. Matt Sarna, a police spokesman, said the officer was released on Sunday.

Comments

Bob Forer 3 years, 5 months ago

Forty years ago I went to school with some Galloways, some of whom were miscreants. Looks like a new generation of scofflaws. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

sr80 3 years, 5 months ago

PrettyTony 3 years, 5 months ago

Now you didn't tell about the problems your own family had with the law back then.

ksjayhawk74 3 years, 5 months ago

"Galloway damaged a cooler and stole 14 beer cases from Holiday Inn Lawrence"...

Was there a party going on somewhere that was waiting for him to get back? Also, I wonder if he's being charged for underage possession of alcohol.

equalaccessprivacy 3 years, 5 months ago

First line of paragraph two contains a typo--should read," Prosecutors CHARGED."

wmathews 3 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for catching that. I fixed it.

Whitney Mathews Assistant Community Editor for Online

Paula Kissinger 3 years, 5 months ago

Same name, same family, same mentality, over and over and over again. I wish one of them would break free and make something decent of themselves and try to get the younger generation to follow...break the cycle.

1petadvocate 3 years, 5 months ago

How many of you have looked in YOUR closets lately??

OldEnuf2BYurDad 3 years, 5 months ago

I get sick of the judgments on these boards as well, but I'll defend these posts. 99% of us just want to live in peace. These patterns of behavior are NOT like what 99% of us find in our closets. This "man" is a career criminal at 20. I don't like sharing my city with people like that. Do you? Should you?

Kris_H 3 years, 5 months ago

Exactly. Whatever might be in my own family's closet, it is not a history of violent behavior and disregard for lawful authority, at least not to the point of assault and battery.

If I ever do something this stupid you can ask me about my family history, but you won't find what this unfortunate twenty-year-old has been left as his legacy. He needs to start making better choices, and quickly, or we're going to be reading about him being shot by either law enforcement or someone else who's not going to put up with his stuff.

riverdrifter 3 years, 5 months ago

Kris_H 3 years, 5 months ago

We can't really do anything, unless we happen to know him and are able to get him to pay attention to us. He has to make the decision to make better choices for himself.