Archive for Saturday, February 26, 2011

Lawrence police officer sent to hospital with nonlife-threatening injuries following assault during traffic stop

February 26, 2011

A Lawrence police officer was sent to Lawrence Memorial Hospital with nonlife-threatening injuries following an assault during a Saturday morning traffic stop.

A traffic stop in the 2100 block of West 26th Street shortly before 5 a.m. lead to an altercation between the officer and a suspect, according to Lawrence police Sgt. Kirk Fultz.

The suspect, a 21-year-old Lawrence man, was arrested on multiple charges, including assault and battery of a law enforcement officer.

Fultz said that no further details about the incident were available.

Comments

stevebrighton 4 years, 2 months ago

Wishing a quick recovery for the officer... Anyone that assaults a police officer is a POS in my books and I hope the Judicial system feels the same way!!!

Steve Jacob 4 years, 2 months ago

So stupid, you know it's going to end up bad assaulting an officer.

davidswayze 4 years, 2 months ago

While I never like to see anyone get hurt, regardless of their position, this story gives zero facts about the situation. Don't be so quick to rush to either side's defense.

Passing judgement like that reflects an anchored bias.

das 4 years, 2 months ago

I can't think of any fact (based in reality) that would make the situation "OK"......oh wait.....perhaps the suspect slipped on some ice and landed on the officer's face fist-first....there we go. I extrapolated a fact.

Best wishes to the officer.

davidswayze 4 years, 2 months ago

A pathetic and amusing argument.

I do agree with your wish for a speedy recovery from any injuries, however.

woodscolt 4 years, 2 months ago

Believe it or not, some officers act in an unprofessional and incite full manner.Even if this were the case, a little restraint on the suspect might be advisable. These guys do have guns you know.

I am not saying this is the case because I have no details to back it up either way. What you can be sure of is the officer is going to be healed way before the 21 year old will be.

sr80 4 years, 2 months ago

LoveThsLife 4 years, 2 months ago

Yikes! Best wishes to the officer and his family!

purplesage 4 years, 2 months ago

So it is worse to assualt a police officer than any other citizen? I realize the charge they have to keep the law and maintain order - but assault is assault and people are people.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 2 months ago

The theory has always been if you are capable of harming (or killing) a police officer, you are capable of harming anybody.

chocolateplease 4 years, 2 months ago

Many people including myself tend to care more about certain victims such as this, someone working to protect and serve our community. This is in contrast to some of your bar-fight type assaults where both parties were behaving badly, though I understand your point. Still, this was utterly disrespectful and stupid, and it highlights how far this individual is willing to go outside the boundaries of what is acceptable. I hope he'll be punished severely. And my condolences and best wishes go to the officer and his family.

Food_for_Thought 4 years, 2 months ago

You're misunderstanding the law. If a police officer were off-duty (not working or acting as a police officer) and attacked, it's treated the same as any other citizen; but when an officer is on-duty, in uniform, and acting in the capacity of a law enforcement officer, then yes, the charges are more severe. Officers are sworn to take an oath to protect the public, and cowardice is not acceptable. Officers are expected to continue doing their job, even when the person they're arresting is known to be violent, outweighs them, etc., etc. The officer was doing his job, making your city safe, and he was hospitalized for doing his duty.

Also, keep in mind that many of the people police deal with don't want to go to jail. Some want to fight the police for that reason. If the penalty was less severe and equal to attacking a regular citizen, it doesn't dissuade these people from attacking an officer to avoid arrest.

Tell me now, does that clear it up for you, or do you think people should be charged the same if they attack a cop vs. a citizen?

Food_for_Thought 4 years, 2 months ago

You can't squash all crime. If you think it's possible, you're living in the clouds. Besides, most people commit crimes with the (often times skewed) idea that they're not going to get caught. The point I was alluding to was that with increased penalties, it dissuades MOST people from committing certain crimes. If murder were a misdemeanor, don't you think it would change the number of murders committed each year?

And if you want to get on the whole "capital punishment" argument, perhaps it would be more effective of a "deterrent" if those sentenced to it weren't waiting on death row for so many years.

jaywalker 4 years, 2 months ago

Of course it's worse to assault an officer, sage. Anyone willing to go at it with a law enforcement professional is more of a danger to society, generally speaking. Resorting to physical confrontation is more often than not a lack of restraint and rationality, but throwin' down with a cop - strapped with gun, mace, tazer, baton..... not to mention an automatic trip to the pokey tossed, in and a gigantic 'posse' who will come down on the offender with great vengeance even if the perp were to get away.......... yeah, it's a LOT worse. Don't know about you, but I don't hang with anyone that reckless, stupid, or violent.

nobody1793 4 years, 2 months ago

Hey kids, here's a tip: if you screw up, ask yourself "what can I do to make this bad situation much, much worse?" and then do the complete opposite.

Scott Morgan 4 years, 2 months ago

Attack a police officer you attack all of us. The police are our laws. Heal fast my man.

Mike Riner 4 years, 2 months ago

Do you EVER have anything nice/positive to say about/to ANYONE?

Mike Riner 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm sure it will come as a shock to you, but you are totally incorrect in this matter.

jaywalker 4 years, 2 months ago

The only one here without a clue is you, smitty. A pre- five a.m. stop? Yup, I'm sure the officer was so abusive, corrupt, and intimidating it drove this clown into attacking him.
And I'm fairly certain the officer knows he's not a law maker, but a law ENFORCER. Gee, wonder what happens when you attack someone like that? Cop a clue, smitty, pun intended.

Jeremy Lichtenauer 4 years, 2 months ago

DillonBarnes 4 years, 2 months ago

Jeremy Lichtenauer 4 years, 2 months ago

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 2 months ago

As a reminder, we don't allow the naming if criminal suspects until formal charges have been filed.

somebodynew 4 years, 2 months ago

Ah, Jeremy, they are picky about that stuff. I think it is OK to direct someone to go look at that stuff on their own, but LJW gets a little funny if you post the actual information. Don't feel like a loner, it has happened to a bunch of us.

Moderateguy 4 years, 2 months ago

Thank you for your service Officer. I and my family wish you a speedy recovery.

geekin_topekan 4 years, 2 months ago

Is this not the same chap implicated in a shooting a while back?

somebodynew 4 years, 2 months ago

Well geekin, I was thinking the same thing. In fact in my memory he has been implicated in several things. Why is he even out ??? (Rhetorical question + sarcasm)

stevebrighton 4 years, 2 months ago

I read the article...Good thing Officer Bordman is in good shape and knows how to fight for his life or this could have ended badly!!! Glad to see a good samaritan came to his aid, probably met all the difference in the outcome.

squarepusher 4 years, 2 months ago

Police scanners are invaluable in learning what these men and women come up against. Yes, officers are people just the same, but not every person comes in contact with such adversity.

The bad rap that law enforcement gets only comes from a minute amount of corrupted individuals that never deserved the honor of upholding the law and protecting our citizens.

Kris_H 4 years, 2 months ago

Subject completely wasted and/or completely stupid? Where did y'all find the name so I can go look for myself, since LJW doesn't want me to know?

Hopes for a speedy and complete recovery to the unknown officer, thanks for doing your job.