Archive for Thursday, February 24, 2011

MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow draws huge crowd to Free State Brewery in downtown Lawrence

All eyes on restaurant for show’s filming

Rachel Maddow hosted her MSNBC show at Free State Brewery on Wednesday, discussing current national and state issues, such as union rights and abortion rights. Maddow said she has been following the ethics hearings of former Kansas Attorney General Phill Kline.

February 24, 2011

Rachel Maddow: sights and sounds

It was a packed house Wednesday night at Free State Brewery in downtown Lawrence where MSNBC aired "The Rachel Maddow Show" live. Maddow talked about union rights, gay rights and the state of abortion practice in Kansas following the murder of George Tiller. Enlarge video

Rachel Maddow: experience in Lawrence

MSNBC's Rachel Maddow talks about what it's been like working in and around Lawrence. Enlarge video

Nothing’s the matter with Kansas.

That was one message MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow told the standing-room-only audience at Free State Brewery Wednesday night, when the political commentary show broadcast the hour-long program, “The Rachel Maddow Show,” live from the downtown business.

Maddow addressed several national and state issues, including union rights, gay rights and the state of abortion practice in Kansas following the murder of Wichita abortion provider George Tiller.

“There’s a very interesting question about how we handle this issue as Americans that’s about not just what social movements do, but how governments react,” Maddow said. “And when people are victimized by radical social movements, does government protect those victims or does government take the side of the people who are victimizing them?”

Maddow, who has been following the ethics hearings of former anti-abortion Kansas Attorney General Phill Kline in Topeka, said she thought Kline’s was an interesting case study of government not siding with victims, but rather victimizing them further.

Kaitie Pestock, who works at Free State Brewery, 636 Mass., said it had been interesting to watch the crew set up during the day. While the airing of the show coincided with the 22nd birthday of the downtown restaurant, Pestock said the choice of location was logical.

“They’re the show, we’re the venue,” she said. “We’ve got the space to do this.”

Maddow said the decision to air the show live from Lawrence was even simpler than that.

“Honestly the reason we ended up in Lawrence is because our Kansas producers love Lawrence,” she said.

And the crowd loved the show back, applauding and cheering when they felt it appropriate. Maddow, who told the crowd after the show she’d likely be back, said the local experience was one she enjoyed.

“The people could not be cooler,” Maddow said. “I feel like I’m among friends, and it’s been a joy.”

Comments

shotgun 3 years, 1 month ago

Right On! Vocal. It's a hoot reading Tom and his cronies raving about "the hot chicks" at Faux News! Simple minds are drawn in by flashy graphics, sound effects, and painted faces of Faux.

Iwetmypants 3 years, 1 month ago

I was wondering what was that awful stentch comming from my favorite restaurant. Its the smell of putrid liberals all gathered together to celebrate baby killin. YAHoo... lets go kill us some babies. Thank you Rachel Madcow for leading the pack.

Curtis Martell 3 years, 1 month ago

I like Rachel. Yes she's snarky but she's also a true journalist and calls it like it is. I understand why people don't like her or her show, they just disagree with the facts she presents and HATE the fact that she'll go to the mat against the infotainment shows like O'reilly, and Rush et al. OK she's entertaining but she's is a true journalist.

If you disagree then you need to take a civics class. Wait, they don't have them any more...

BigPrune 3 years, 1 month ago

When Rachel Madcow said, "Nothing’s the matter with Kansas." It immediately drew a collective heavy sigh of relief and a wipe of sweat from everyone's brow that were sitting at the Free State looking frumpy, thinking weird thoughts, and being strange in general to a normal person. To have someone with convoluted logic tell a crowd of people with convoluted logic they didn't have anything wrong with them was very reassuring to all involved.

You can also thank Ms. Madcow for God punishing Lawrence with this awful weather, because of her appearance.

yourworstnightmare 3 years, 1 month ago

Rachel Maddow is a terrific reporter and commentator who defends true american liberty. To liberty!

Tex 3 years, 1 month ago

Maddow said, “And when people are victimized by radical social movements, does government protect those victims or does government take the side of the people who are victimizing them?”

In the case of the radical social movement responsible for legalized abortion on demand, Ms. Maddow, no, the government does not protect the victims; it takes the side of the people who are victimizing them, e.g. the government officials who knew or at least suspected what Kermit Gosnell was doing yet allowed him to continue with business as usual.

This is no reflection on the Free State Brewery, though; great restaurant, great service, great beer. Congratulations to all responsible for the restaurant's success, and long may she wave.

DeaconBlue 3 years, 1 month ago

Crowd- is an accurate description of the people watching RM. I would have used the word audience. But it is Lawrence, Kansas.

Crowd makes me think of

Synonyms, Thesaurus & Antonyms of 'crowd' Princeton's WordNet

1. (noun) crowd a large number of things or people considered together Synonyms: gang, crew, bunch

2. (verb) crowd, crew, gang, bunch an informal body of friends Synonyms: crowd, clump, mob, pack, clustering, bunch, crew, ring, gang, cluster, lot, work party, caboodle

3. (verb) herd, crowd cause to herd, drive, or crowd together Synonyms: herd, push, crowd, crowd together

4. (verb) crowd fill or occupy to the point of overflowing Synonyms: push, herd, crowd together

5. (verb) crowd, crowd together to gather together in large numbers Synonyms: push, herd, crowd, crowd together

KUrolls 3 years, 1 month ago

Maddow made me remember this thought from a real man.

-A Homeless Man's Funeral

As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery in the Kentucky back country.

As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost and, being a typical man, I didn't stop for directions.

I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight. There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch.

I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late. I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn't know what else to do, so I started to play.

The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends. I played like I've never played before for this homeless man.

And as I played Amazing Grace, the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together. When I finished I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car. Though my head hung low, my heart was full.

As I opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, "I never seen nothin' like that before, and I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years."

Apparently I'm still lost...it's a man thing.-

Keith Richards 3 years, 1 month ago

Tom-You keep saying that Fox News is rated so high, but what you forget is there is only 1 of your 'conservative' news channels as you call it. Now add up the viewership of all your 'liberal' news organizations (CNN, MSNBC, NBC, CBS, CNBC, ABC) and see who has higher ratings....

mushfish 3 years, 1 month ago

Thanks to Rachel Maddow for telling the nation how cool Lawrence is! Not everyone is backwards thinking in Kansas,. She could not have chosen a better place than the brewery!

BigPrune 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't even know what channel is MSNBC, and I never heard of this lady, so I missed the show. So she essentially promoted abortion? She does know that Al Gore would've beat GW if the libs wouldn't have had so many abortions 18 years prior right? What about Free State - letting this lady promote killing future customers (if they're still in business in 18 years?).

Mr_Collusion 3 years, 1 month ago

Now let's go smoke some pot and drink and cheer for Dr. Tiller. Let praise his mighty work of destroying those nasty little consumers in the womb of those degenerates who love to feed off the rest of us! Tiller is our Hero for Mankind and a role model for the rest of the country and the world!!!! He is in heaven right now smiling down on Ms. Maddow and all of her pro-government supporters. They need to give him the Nobel Peace Prize today!!!!!!

prospector 3 years, 1 month ago

Snap

No, I left before it started. The place was full of tourists. I see only three or four 'regulars' there.

Mr_Collusion 3 years, 1 month ago

We Kansans are too stupid to voice your own opinion on national news. We need General Electric News and all of there news head mouthpieces(maddow) to tell you what to think and how to feel. We are disgusting mindless midwestern backhills trash who consume too much and populate too many. We need the wallstreet corporations and the big labor unions to speak for us and crush any sort of resistance and any sort of differing opinion either by propaganda or force. We need more abortions by the hundreds of thousands! Those pathetic little disgusting virus's in the bellies of those disgusting hordes of procreators and anti-abortionists. We need de-population and more taxes and more regulation because we need more government!!!!

Flap Doodle 3 years, 1 month ago

Are you in the above photo, prospector?

prospector 3 years, 1 month ago

Me, I'm just happy she did not mention the important thing about the brewery. That there are four day to March Mustard Madness! If the world knew, boy howdy what a mess.

Happy birthday Free State.

none2 3 years, 1 month ago

Who exactly is this person. I don't recognize her from ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CNN. Is she another talk show host like Oprah, Dr Phil, Ellen?

Flap Doodle 3 years, 1 month ago

I wonder if Rachel's ex-coworker, Randi Rhodes, is still getting drunk and falling down in the street?

Mr_Collusion 3 years, 1 month ago

Before coming here did Rachell Maddow think that we Kansans were all just a bunch of dumb hicks and farmers who's only idea of having a great state was to murder an abortion(killing) doctor and to do gay bashing?......please. Again, another diluted mind living in a glass bubble of her own arrogance and vanity. Yes Ms. Maddow, we do have color and different ideas in Kansas. Aunt Em and Uncle Henry were smart enough to get in the storm cellar when Tornadoes caused by global warming were about to destroy them.

Mr_Collusion 3 years, 1 month ago

I wonder why Rachel Maddow and all of the abortion rights people never talk Norma McCorvey(Roe) now and what she believes concerning abortion(killing)? I find it rather interesting that this woman seems to have no significance within the mainstream media especially the media with a more liberal bias.

Mr_Collusion 3 years, 1 month ago

So there's nothing wrong with Kansas because abortion(taking life) is legal? Thats the first thing she basically alluded to on her show last night. So, was there something wrong with Kansas before she came to Lawrence? In her mind did she need to come here to tell us that we're fine and that there is nothing wrong with us? So lets take one isolated incident and build upon that incident to make a general judgement of every Kansan in the whole state. Why did the people behind her cheer when she thought Kansas was fine because abortion is legal. You all couldn't find anything else to cheer about? That's really sad.

tbaker 3 years, 1 month ago

I flipped back and forth between Ms. Maddow and Mr. Hannity. The contrast couldn't have been greater. Each quoted polling indicating public opinion for and against the unions in WI and both breathlessly declared how wrong people on the other side of the argument were.

I wonder how long it is going to take before we find out which one of these two blow-hards was right and whether or not the one found to be wrong will admit their error.

sundancewierdo 3 years, 1 month ago

Good for FSB, Good for Lawrence, Good for Kansas! I'd like to see more networks broadcasting shows in towns all over the country. Maybe that would clear up popular misconceptions we all have about other places. I don't typically watch the show, but I enjoyed the message, "There's nothing wrong with Kansas".

milehighhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

It's pretty adorable seeing all these lunatic fringe-ers act personally offended by a TV host coming to town.

Doesn't take much to set you off, does it?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 1 month ago

"Yes, she is...attractive females seem to gravitate toward the conservative side of life, while those with Zachary Disease gravitate toward the liberal side. Anyone? Comments?" - Tom

Tom, Skip the reply button, quote the person... no confusion that way

ralphralph 3 years, 1 month ago

“They’re the show, we’re the venue:" Yeah, right.

Boulevard's the beer.

If you support someone and something, you shouldn't be ashamed to say so. What a cop out, to promote this hate-spewing leftist, then disown her with a wink, just to try to keep making money off the people you've pissed off.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

I wager there is no one on this page named Sherman.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

Don't worry, Doe. I got a call from some doctor in Montana yesterday. Somehow, he got ahold of my medical records. As he was reading them his hands started melting, so he dropped them and ran screaming from the room. Hell, they're as thick as 2 bibles.

MacHeath 3 years, 1 month ago

I would complain about this show,or some posters, just for grins. Just can't get into it, this morn

I really don't see a down side to this, no matter what side you lean on.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

April Fleming 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm enjoying how substantive these comments are.

I am just happy to see substantive coverage of Phill Kline's ethics investigation and trial in the national news. It was an abuse of office and he should be disbarred.

I wager if Hollis, Sherman or Sally had their medical records recklessly traipsed all over the country they maybe they could cut through the pointless snark.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 1 month ago

I wonder how many of the far-left walked, cycled, car-pooled or rode the "T" to this event........or better yet, how many will the next time something like this takes place?

"With oil prices surging above $100 a barrel yesterday, consumers are realizing they will be paying a heavy price at the pump for the unrest in the Middle East. A perfect storm of foreign and domestic policy choices by the Obama administration has paved the way for European-style energy prices to arrive on these shores. Far from being alarmed, President Obama sees the prospect of $8 a gallon gas as an opportunity."

May God Bless.

autie 3 years, 1 month ago

Alceste (anonymous) says… Lawrence to a T: "...this no-place, this bleak town on the prairie's edge, which now seems hardly more than an overnight encampment of ill-satisfied, overproud people so ignorant, that had they been examined closely along with their town--in truth, if they had stopped a moment and examined themselves, they would have found themselves to be a sad joke without substance..."

Don't fall over in to it. You don't need anymore as you appear to be full of it.

overplayedhistory 3 years, 1 month ago

What would the trolls here do If they could not enjoy the best beer brewed in the first legal brewery since 1890, while griping about the people in a town that they don't even live in?

If you need a so called liberal mecca, with a forum for bashing to give meaning to your lives, why not chose a place with a much larger forum. Here are a few Ideas for Ya.

Athens, Georgia Eugen, Oregon Bolder, Colorado Austin, Texas Madison, Wisconsin San Fransisco, California

Just think trolls, if normal rational pro slavery people had settled here instead of anti-slavery liberals from Massachusetts, you would not have a punching bag.

Ceallach 3 years, 1 month ago

With MSNBC's ratings the audience at Free State may have been a record-breaking number of viewers for her show.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 1 month ago

Their is no doubt the far-left is trying to re-brand and assimilate, and this is in part, a direct result of the pounding Dems took last year, and the fact Obama and his fundamental transformation has been kicked to the curb by the majority. The other reason is probably that the far-left is forevermore miserable and can not decide who they are, imho. Lawrence, not unlike Boulder CO is up to their eyeballs with this crowd.

lovinkansas 3 years, 1 month ago

A liberal talking head preaching the lefts propaganda to a liberal town. What a surprise.

Richard Payton 3 years, 1 month ago

One day the liberals ride around with bumper stickers, "Kansas has bigoted as you think." Then the liberals proclaim nothing's the matter with Kansas. Gov. Brownback now has that new message nothing's the matter with Kansas.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

I think it's funny how all minorities and misfits still think the Democrats are gonna help them, after all these years. I don't like Republicans either. You don't have to be either one. "There's One Born Every Minute." -P.T. Barnum

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

Nope. We're still just a bunch of rubes. Things haven't changed much since Matt Dillon "secretly" arrived here to film that awful movie and was greeted by the Mayberry Bandwagon.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm guessing MSNBC is going to try to make their stunningly low-rated personalities seem more like "common folk" in the future. This is not to say far-left loons are "common folk" by any means 'cause they're not. CNN should try doing the same. CNN I believe feel they're actually an appendage to the US gov't. giving the names of some of their shows: Special Investigations Unit, The Situation Room, State of the Union.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 1 month ago

"I for one will never step foot in free state again after yesterdays shameful showing. I know a lot of people who plan on doing the same."

A lot of people? Link?

Eybea Opiner 3 years, 1 month ago

WTF? (Not winning the future, either.) The LJW on-line has 6 headlines regarding Madcow's visit to Lawrence? Are we that small and insignificant?

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

It looked like it smelled bad in there last night. It usually does. I bet that bartender that was in "Interview with the Vampire" was there.

Kim Murphree 3 years, 1 month ago

Great coverage LJWORLD! You won the coverage race on this local/national news story.

Alceste 3 years, 1 month ago

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

Rachel has a nice, long neck, which I really dig. She has a sexy mole on it, too.

ignati5 3 years, 1 month ago

What's next? Rush at Louise's West?

autie 3 years, 1 month ago

nobody1793 (anonymous) says… Worst College GameDay Ever...

Post of the month. kudos

sallyone 3 years, 1 month ago

Kontum1972 3 years, 1 month ago

i was wondering the same thing...they do serve Free State brew @ Lib Hall....i felt sorry for that waiter dude....gotta hand it to him for balance..LoL!

No brew showers for anyone....

Kontum1972 3 years, 1 month ago

it was interesting....but not an Emmy....sorry RM...

frankfussman 3 years, 1 month ago

Why wasn't this show done at Liberty Hall, which has much more space and is fully capable of running a TV broadcast?

Does anyone at Liberty Hall -- or Free State -- know why it was done at Free State instead of Liberty Hall?

nobody1793 3 years, 1 month ago

Worst College GameDay Ever...

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 1 month ago

Does anyone know if she talked about the US justice dept. changing their position on gay marriage since it was hot off the press? Did she bash Fox News or the usual bashees from virtually every show?

KUrolls 3 years, 1 month ago

It was exhilerating to see her promote abortion for liberal women. Her chastizing Tiller the baby killer was right on time. Lawrence was the perfect place for her to display her wares.

KS 3 years, 1 month ago

Huge crowd? Could not have been too huge, because the space at Free State is not that big. What a waste! She is a disgrace to MSNBC.

northtown 3 years, 1 month ago

The people could not be cooler???What is this?Should have been in a larger place and not a beer serving Restaurant-Just sad,sad place-to many people!!!!

pace 3 years, 1 month ago

I thought they looked homely (2. (of a place or surroundings) Simple but cozy and comfortable, as in one's own home. ). I have always found Kansans attractive but drab dressers. There is something fine about people who look you in the eye, listen to a complete sentence then respond. The accents are a bit twangy and I saw interest and intelligence in the faces. Paint me old fashioned but I have almost never saw a crowd I would judge by superficial fashion. I found the crowd pleasing. The center of attention is a flash, the ones attending more indicative of context. A good crowd.

grammaddy 3 years, 1 month ago

We love you Rachel! Come back soon!!

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

Rachel looked really cute. But what a bunch of unattractive men and women behind her! I watched for a few minutes, until I got so embarrassed my toes started to curl.