Archive for Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Lawrence district’s first black teacher shares experiences of racism with elementary students

Jesse Milan, the first black teacher in Lawrence, talks to a fifth-grade social studies class at Prairie Park Wednesday, Feb. 23, 2011. Milan talked about his experiences during the days of segregation in Lawrence and how he worked for change.

February 23, 2011

Jesse Milan, the first black teacher in Lawrence, talks to a fifth-grade social studies class Wednesday at Prairie Park School, 2711 Kensington Road. Milan talked about his experiences during the days of segregation in Lawrence and how he worked for change.

Jesse Milan can remember the first time he came to Lawrence to participate in the Kansas Relays. The year was 1943, and he was a high school track athlete. When he and his black teammates walked up to the student union, white people threw pennies at them as an insult. The city claimed to be progressive and open-minded, but Milan disagreed.

“Lawrence, Kansas, was not a free city,” he said.

Milan, who was the first black teacher to be hired in the Lawrence school district, visited Prairie Park School Wednesday morning to speak with Cathy White’s fifth-grade classes. Milan, 82, told the kids of his experiences in Lawrence as part of Black History Month.

Milan came to Lawrence to teach in 1954, soon after Brown v. Board of Education declared segregation unconstitutional. Minutes after he signed his contract, he received a phone call from an angry parent who didn’t want a black man teaching his children.

That didn’t stop him, though. Milan worked throughout the district as a physical education consultant, and many black residents came to him for advice about how to deal with racial issues they encountered. He encountered them himself.

“The shows were segregated. The restrooms were segregated. Employment was segregated. And here you had one black teacher in town,” he said. “I had a great time.”

In 1967 when the issue came up for a city pool where blacks and whites could swim together, Milan helped organize kids to knock on doors to get the bond issue to pass. He also helped organize a group at the skating rink, and from then on black and white children could skate together.

“I was ensuring all kids had an equal chance,” he said.

He made such a difference that the district even celebrated Jesse Milan Day in 1997. Now Milan volunteers in the Kansas City, Kan., schools and is active in many organizations, including the NAACP.

Isabelle Ginavan, 11, was surprised to hear about Milan’s experiences in Lawrence, something she didn’t realize had happened in her town. Race isn’t a concern among her classmates, Ginavan said.

“I don’t think that a lot of people care about that anymore,” she said.

Comments

Craig Weinaug 3 years, 5 months ago

Jesse Milan had a huge impact on so many lives in Lawrence in the fifties, sixties and seventies. I grew up in Lawrence during that time. I lived in a neighborhood that was all white, and went to Hillcrest school where all the student were white.

I was a student with special needs. As an infant I suffered some brain damage which caused the whole right side of my body to be partially paralyzed. So by the time I got to Hillcrest in 1957, I had a couple of disabilities: one was physical and the other was an almost total lack of exposure to anyone that looked any different than me.

Jese Milan was my gym teacher at Hillcrest, and he took a special interest in me. He cared about me, not because I had any potential to make the football team, but because I was a kid that he wanted to help in any way that he could. Mr Milan came to my house on a regular basis to supervise an exercise program that he custom designed for my special needs.

It is a sad fact that before I went to Junior High in in 1964, Mr Milan was my only significant experience with a black man through the school system, but what a role model he was.

I never discussed race issues with Mr Milan, and I was totally ignorant as a child of how Mr Milan was treated in Lawrence while he was helping me and thousands of other Lawrence kids. Mr. Milan was denied the right to purchase a house because of the color of his skin. He and his family were threatened. Crosses were burned in his yard. I never knew about any of this. I only knew that Mr. Milan cared for me and that he made me exercise harder than I wanted to.

I am all grown up now, and I never made the football team, but Mr. Milan made a permanent mark on me and thousands of other kids in Lawrence. He taught by example that the really important things in life have nothing to do with the color our skin. The really important things are measured by how much you give and care for other people. This is community is a much better place because Jesse Milan touched our lives.

Kylee Manahan 3 years, 5 months ago

Craig, as a child growing up with you, no one could have said it better about Jesse. Do you remember he also had a student teacher who Jesse took under his wing, Gale Sayers. I got the opportunity the other night at a KU game to thank Gale for teaming with Jesse, now I would like to get the opportunity to thank Jesse.

Thank you Mr. Milan!!!

Kylee Manahan

SCarttar 3 years, 5 months ago

Well said, Craig.

Mr. Milan was my gym teacher at Cordley back in the late 50's and early 60’s. I remember him as a man with poise and genuineness. As a teacher, he was encouraging, confident, and demonstrated a high standard of integrity.

At first, Mr. Milan’s comment of Lawrence not being free disturbed me. I have always thought of Lawrence in the most favorable of terms. And yet, I also remember the Jayhawk Plunge and that Mr. Milan, my teacher, was not allowed to attend. Mother and Dad, and everyone else I knew, always spoke very highly of him. I did not understand at the time, and I am embarrassed about it today.

On further read of the article, Mr. Milan’s comments were made in an institution of learning. Upon reflection, especially in that context, they seem appropriate.

It has been said that one needs to be reminded of past to better understand the present. Prof Bill Tuttle’s did an excellent job of this in his remarks at the dedication of the Murphy-Bromelsick house in 2001. He gave perspective to the event by sharing a number of troubling racial events that had occurred in Lawrence. I was grateful for this because I had forgotten that our community was not at all times a beacon of freedom or immune from wrong. I would like to think that such were restricted to history, but I know not to be true.

That said, Lawrence is a great place to be. As recently as last September, former Congressman Jim Leach’s spoke at the Dole Institute on the topic of civility. He stated that it is important to listen and try to understand those with different perspectives to avoid simply reinforcing personal biases.

In that regard, thanks are again due Mr. Milan for prompting this dialog. You continue to teach and we to learn.

Stephen Carttar

Loretta James 3 years, 5 months ago

Craig I grew up with you to we went to church together My name was Loretta Foster. I also had Mr. Milan for our gym teacher at Woodlawn school. He was a delight and i don't think there was a kid that didn't like him. Good luck to you I'm glad you have done well in your career despite your challenges.

ToriFreak13 3 years, 5 months ago

Confused at how one person's experience of racism from students at KU whom more than likely were from out of state...constitutes Kansas being a free state as the biggest lie told. I know of many more stories of positive interactions in this town than negative. Lawrence was not some small German town in western Kansas. There are African-American families with long roots in this community deeper than 1943 that should speak on racism in this town. I don't doubt this man has a story worth telling...and listening to, but if this town was so racist...why would he have chose to live here and get a job here? He obviously seen an opportunity to make a difference here. An opportunity that was more welcome here than say Mississippi. Many people died to make Lawrence, and Kansas for that matter, a FREE State and City. It's a shame someone that chose this state and city to grow and call home is now throwing it under the bus.

imastinker 3 years, 5 months ago

Are you serious? He's telling his story - that's it. Maybe those other families should too, but are you really questioning his motives?

Kansas was a free state but that doesn't mean that there wasn't racism here. Slavery wasn't all about racism, part of it was just an economic condition. Slave owners kept slaves because they made money off them, and justified it with the racist views. Some of those slave owners might not have been able to make a living at all without slave labor. Kansas was different. Kansas was settled mainly by poor German immigrant farmers. Most of them probably couldn't afford to keep a slave, and slavery pushed down the value of the crops they produced.

If you are going to tell the story at least tell it right. The civil war and the events surrounding it were as much about economics as anything else. Much of the northern states had racist residents in them and didn't want the blacks there either.

mom_of_three 3 years, 5 months ago

actually, kansas being a "free state" is a part lie. One of the constitutions (wyandotte, I think) prohibited blacks from settlling in the state - period. And it was due to the labor competition. Not everyone in Kansas approved of that, and thankfully that is not the constitution the state was formed on (and there were several proposed). Germans were a large ethnic group which settled in Kansas, but I wouldn't say most of kansas was settled by them. i am not sure I would say the "biggest lie ever told," but from his point of view, it probably is. And read about Brown v. BOE Topeka. Topeka BOE tried to integrate their schools as the case was at the Supreme court, and they told several black teachers they would be fired, because the black schools were closing while they then hired several white teachers (because they knew white parents wouldn't want a black teacher). I am sure it wasn't limited just in Topeka

jayhawks911 3 years, 5 months ago

The facts are that Kansas was established to prohibit the expansion of slavery not to eliminate racism. Lawrence had segregated elementary schools until Brown V Topeka. My black neighbors friends went to school at Lincoln elementary ( now the Ballard center) while I attended Woodlawn. Mr. Milan is to be commended for his service to our community

imastinker 3 years, 5 months ago

Kansas wasn't established to prevent the spread of slavery. Kansas became a state once it had the minimum required population of 50,000 (??). The residents of the territory of Kansas voted for it.

I would guess the reasons included things like gaining representation in congress.

earline james 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure the Indigenous People of Alaska and Hawaii would consider it a land grab. And how are they "distinguishable from the Native Americans of the lower 48"? I am almost afraid to ask, but I am curious.

northtowngrl 3 years, 5 months ago

Well, lets see if I can break it down to you just a little more. It wasn't just one person's experience, it was several, but this story is about Jesse's experience. In his opinion, not yours mind you and not mine, but in HIS opinion it is the biggest lie ever told because in order for that kind of despicable behavior to happen repeatedly, it had to be condoned. By the students, by the University, by the campus police, by the city officials, city police and by residents. Otherwise it would never have kept happening. I think you should do a little research on the history of Lawrence. It was a hotbed of racial tension. People lost their lives, and livelihoods. It took real and complete courage by many people to make Lawrence the place it is today. Why don't YOU go talk to some of those families. They will tell you that once, African American's were only allowed to live out by Clinton lake. They will tell how segregated the neighborhoods and schools were. How the only jobs available for most men during WWII were cleaning up after the prisoners of war out by the fairgrounds. How African American families were not allowed to go to the amusement park in town, or the movie theatre except on certain nights and then only to sit in specific places. How they couldn't enter restaurants and it goes on and on. And finally why live in a place that treats you that way? Because you don't run away from it. You fight for change. Running doesn't solve anything, and sooner or later you run out of places to run to.

Anymore questions?

kawvalleybulldog 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm pretty sure that blacks weren't only "allowed" to live out by clinton lake, and I'm certain that clinton lake wasn't built until the late 1970's. research, research, research

ToriFreak13 3 years, 5 months ago

Segregation does not equal slavery. There were obviously more freedoms afforded people of color in Lawrence before many other cities in the US. Because racism existed, because business owners chose to serve who they chose..doesn't paint a community as a whole racist. Amazing those that fight being sterotyped...do just that. The point that is being contradicted even by you is that Lawrence has always been progressive and ahead of the average US city....even in fighting racism. To brag about leading a movement of knocking on doors to make a change in the city...and not credit the city for #1 allowing him to have the right and freedom to do such a thing, and #2 the citizens that opened their doors...and listened to his message...and agreed to make the change. That is credit Lawrence deserves, not just one man. Again for the way you make Lawrence sound...it seems impossible he was allowed to live in the city limits let alone be a teacher in our school system.

Cynthia Schott 3 years, 5 months ago

Really? Were you around Lawrence then, because I was. What Mr. Milan says is accurate.

Jan Rolls 3 years, 5 months ago

That torifreak probably thinks that there is no discrimination in the country today.

ToriFreak13 3 years, 5 months ago

I believe racism and discrimination are two different things...and they both go both ways...and yes they both still exist today. There is no excuse for racism. There are communities of Irish that are racist just as Italians, Serbians, Mexicans and African-Americans. Discrimination on the other hand is obviously more tolerable. Lawrence High students discriminate against Free State High students. Because those things exist, and at one point in history was inhumane....doesn't make it ok for someone that obviously overcame such traumatic times with the help of a community that embraced his ideas and voice of reason...to speak to our present day youth in the tone that this city was not free and didn't afford him his opportunities. Just looking at the first lines of this article...that a group of black athletes were invited to the Kansas Relays, how racist is that? But because a group of white kids at the union threw pennies at them...makes the city of Lawrence racist. One phone call...from an angry parent whom was obviously racist..meant that the city of Lawrence still believed in segregation.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 5 months ago

"“You probably read in a book that Kansas was a free state. Have you heard that?” Milan asked the students. “Biggest lie ever told.”" That's got to be about the dumbest thing I've read on the site lately. And the bars has been set pretty darned high.

livinginlawrence 3 years, 5 months ago

ToriFreak13...are you 13? Why are you taking the man's words so personally? It isn't as if he's accusing YOU of being racist, he's only telling it like it was, based on his own experiences. Obviously, our society is now markedly different with regard to matters of race, and has been for some time. The elementary school kids don't know that though; what they know of society is what they see around them, and they inevitably take for granted notions like racial equality. Milan's is a valuable lesson for our community's children to learn.

Regarding your assertions about Lawrence's status in history as a place more progressive than most... Be that as it may (I suppose in certain respects it's true, though it certainly depends on who you're comparing us to and on which issues), it is most definitely not the case that racism, segregation, discrimination, harassment, etc. haven't happened here. However, when the kids learn about the positive aspects of our state and town's history (mostly concerning "free state" status), they are handed a picture that is far rosier than reality. Sure, Kansas was mostly against slavery, and sure, the sentiments of abolitionists were present in the founding of Lawrence. That means little regarding whether or not blacks were indeed afforded the sorts of human rights one must have to actually consider themselves "free."

Honestly, I'm afraid you're just missing the whole point of having Milan come and talk to the kids. It wasn't about him wanting to derogate our community or its past. It was about giving the kids a glimpse into the past, and an opportunity for them to learn about the struggles prior generations endured to give us the society we have today.

Jan Rolls 3 years, 5 months ago

History History do you get it?

mellowyellow 3 years, 5 months ago

As one who has been called a "white honky" while walking in my neighborhood, I can tell you that Lawrence still has problems with race. If asked, I dare say that many Haskell students & professors can tell you stories that are disgraceful in this day of age. More power to Mr. Milan for telling the truth as he sees it & experienced it.

tanaumaga 3 years, 5 months ago

what other types of 'honky's' are out and about these days?.... just wondering....from one cracker to another.

mellowyellow 3 years, 5 months ago

point was....it goes both ways & includes other races

Jayhawks1985 3 years, 5 months ago

Well, I grew up in Topeka and maybe my neighborhood was an exception but I never experienced any hint of racism. The neighborhood I grew up in was integrated in the 50's . We sat on each others porches, we were in each others houses. I feel very fortunate to not have experienced the hate some people have.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 5 months ago

Talk to almost any African or Mexican American who grew up here in the 40's, 50's, 60's and earlier, and they'll confirm precisely what Milan says he experienced.

Racism here certainly didn't run as deep as it did (does?) in Mississippi, but it was real, and affected every aspect of daily life.

blindrabbit 3 years, 5 months ago

Had Jesse as a teacher back in the 50's; he was great! Best wishes!

blackfox1945 3 years, 5 months ago

Mr. Milan I just want to say thank you for all that you have done over those years of unrest and hate. And now still keeping up the journey. May God continue to bless you. I am one of those black people that felt and still feel the sting of racism here in Lawrence I was born and raised here so I know first hand.

Cynthia Schott 3 years, 5 months ago

I remember Jesse Milan as the PE teacher at East Heights School in the middle 1950s. He was awesome. I am white, and it didn't matter to me that Mr. Milan was black. He didn't make me feel like a klutz like one of my white teachers did. He always had a smile. He encouraged everyone.

I am joyous that he spoke to children recently about how Lawrence was back in the fifties. I remember so much of what was mentioned in the video. I remember that as late as 1969, public swimming pools were not available to everyone.

My sister and I wrote a book about a lynching in Lawrence in 1882. I could tell from the newspaper accounts how much of a so-called free state Kansas was.

Keep your chin up, Mr. Milan. You kept mine up. Thanks for being a pioneer for fairness.

Cindy

JustNoticed 3 years, 5 months ago

ToriFreak13 said, "Confused at how one person's experience of racism from students at KU whom more than likely were from out of state...constitutes Kansas being a free state as the biggest lie told."

Neither Milan nor the JW say that. Your reading comprehension is pathetic.

mrjcg2 3 years, 5 months ago

In elementery school, I lived down the street from the Milans, when they lived on Alabama st. here in Lawrence, - was good friends with his son Johnny (John now?) and used to spend the night at their house - good times. I was so sorry when they moved to Kansas City. Hello to the Milans!

grammaddy 3 years, 5 months ago

Thank you Mr. Milan for putting that spark of curiousity in my grandson's class today. He came home asking me for more "REAL History, Grandma, not just the ordinary junk they teach us every year during Black History Month." History is now his favorite subject.

Andrea Hoag 3 years, 5 months ago

Here are some additional resources if you're interested in African American history in Lawrence.

LANGSTON HUGHES IN LAWRENCE: PHOTOGRAPHS AND BIOGRAPHICAL RESOURCES by T. F. Pecore Weso and past poet laureate Denise Low-Weso, which you can find here:

Or, NOT WITHOUT LAUGHTER by Langston Hughes

There's one copy of the Weso book available for check-out at the library right now, and 5 copies of the Hughes.

bentdl 3 years, 5 months ago

sunset hills needs to represent. very good memories of Mr. Milan in the gym, especially climbing the rope and tumbling. thank you, sir for your service to your fellow man.

Jayhawks1985 3 years, 5 months ago

Prejudice goes way beyond skin color. Whites have treated other whites like slime. Catholics have been harrassed and even killed for their beliefs and different white ethnic groups have treated each other horribly. Whites are also very bad at judging other whites by their appearance. You also can be white, poor and physically or mentally handicapped and suffer the same treatment as some minorities have. And even in this day and age whites get away with treating other less fortunate whites terribly.

pace 3 years, 5 months ago

Thank you Jesse Milan. it is fine of you to speak up about your life. We need to hear our history, remember it unvarnished. I read comments about how your story might be interpreted. I don't need to interpret your words,nor suggest they might really mean something else. I hope there are more people like you. Plain and standing tall. I am thankful you went into teaching. We were lucky to have so many people invest in bettering Lawrence. I remember the swimming pool "discussion" I remember when the banks were caught redlining. I remember some things but I don't know or presume to know what it was like. I remember a lot of different people did a lot of different things to make Lawrence better, some was exercising simple courtesy, some was facing danger and economic loss. Thank you Jesse Milan.

Gregory Newman 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm 58 yrs old and was probably the best athlete to be NEVER KNOWN. I was born and raised in Lawrence. When I went to the movies I had to wait until all the white kids went in first and that was the Granada. Blacks were not allowed in the Varsity or the Jayhawk. Then I had to wait to be served popcorn and a coke after all of the white kids were served even if I was next in line. We couldn't go into woolworth but you could go into Kresses. Couldn't go into J.C. Penny's until 4pm when it closed at 5. On the corner of 11th and Mass I had to go thru the backdoor of the Rexzall Drugs and wait 45 minutes to be served a cherry coke. In the 2nd grade I was the best reader in class when they had tracking it was 4 levels I was placed in the 3rd all the white kids asked me why was I not in the 4th level when I was the best reader in the class. Ms Luthie told me that I will never be where I think I belong. In the 7th grade I would receive a B+ for a perfect score and I was told "N" don't deserve "A's. When I went to the Greyhound Station I couldn't sit in the passenger area I had to sit in the baggage area. So therefore, between 11-18 I became suicidal. ToriFreak13 you ain't got a clue. My only regret is that I didn't reach out to Mr. Milan when I knew I needed help. Coach "Nanny" Duver who I loved so much knew I was in trouble sent Jessee to my home but I was so bitter I called him an uncle Tom I refused to play sports in Lawrence anymore. Because I was a Jordan before jordan and a Bo Jackson before Bo a Magic Johnson before Magic. But it was said when I arrived at basketball practice "Hey kids get out the mustard here comes the hotdog. A whino saw me playing basketball at the community building said that my problem was that I was ahead of my time. I love you Mr. Milan from Greg Newman, Oakland, Ca

ToriFreak13 3 years, 5 months ago

and that was in the late 60's? you are juicing your numbers...and it's not ok to lie about Lawrence like you are. You would make best buds with Milan. I am a part of 8 generations from this town and know what Lawrence was like then. Can't believe you said you couldn't go into the Varsity or the Granada because you were black...in the late 60's...come on man. Beside your dishonesty...what you state still doesn't prove Lawrence to be racist as a whole...nor segregated. It would be plain dumb for parents to keep a family in a town where it was as hard to live as you and Mr. Milan claim.

grammaddy 3 years, 5 months ago

Every man's life experience is different.How can you say he is lying? Because he experienced a different life here than you do? And not everyone has the resources to pack up and move.DUMB is thinking his experience should be the same as yours.

tunahelper 3 years, 5 months ago

Thank you Mr. Milan for your service to our community. You are an American Hero!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 5 months ago

Maybe you should just cover your ears when folks talk about things you don't like to hear.

grammaddy 3 years, 5 months ago

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

pace 3 years, 5 months ago

Jesse Milan, thank you. Some of the statements puts me in mind on how fragile communities and relationships are.. You win one fight and you just want it over. Can't we put it all behind and bury the history. Don't tell me what happened in the war, don't want to know about mob violence in the night, anything uncomfortable, that day is over, or you wish it was. It is a cowardly and ignorant way to have a relationship. Of course we are a nation of color, of bigots, also of democracy, if hard working families, of oppression, of brave and thinking people, of cowards and damaged brutes, there are all types and all kinds of different problems and solutions. We hear " accept things as they are, or things were worse so shut up. If things are ok then it is perfectly comfortable to talk about them. if things are not ok it is crucial to talk about them. Democracy doesn't have better things to do than to preserve rights and try to make things as fair as possible.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 5 months ago

Are we inventing incidents, are we picking scabs, are we fanning flames for nothing?

We are living in the here and now.

I'm not sure having an elementary class of students hear Kansas was not a free state is good for anyone, black, white, brown, green.

Mr Milan, you seemed to have carved a nice life for yourself, why not focus on the positives? Of course you would be like many other retired teachers then wouldn't;t you?

pace 3 years, 5 months ago

shame on you wissmo. shame. You aren't sure our kids should be taught anything except slogans. Shame on you. My kids need real information and real education. IF you don't want to hear it. put your head in the sand.. We don't need anything like that. we need education in schools not indoctrination. Real information, a variety of ways to look at the information.

cowboy 3 years, 5 months ago

I think one only need to look at your own families to figure out how hard it is to get rid of predjudice. It takes generations. I can remember one grandma telling us to lock the car doors so the " slur" won't get us. Don't go near the river or the "slur" will get you. I can remember the other grandma washing our mouths out with soap when she heard us make a snide comment about our trashman. Now the soap mouth washing grandma had more impact on us kids to be sure. I remember that day as if it was yesterday. My folks were about 50 degrees away the grandfolks and my kids are pretty color blind. Four generations later the prejudices of one are pretty well faded.

kansasplains 3 years, 5 months ago

I have never met Mr. Milan personally, but I really welcome your coming to Lawrence and sharing your history. And many of the reader's comments are also very thoughtful. Segregation still exists very prominently today, no matter what some readers think. But, as some readers point out, it's not just against blacks alone, although that's probably the worst - but other nationalities have their share too, even including poor whites. Thank you very much for sharing your history of Lawrence. Lawrence, San Francisco and Lawrence

kansasplains 3 years, 5 months ago

Scott Morgan 3 years, 5 months ago

My point is simply this. When is it time to stop putting chips on young minorities shoulders? Tough enough to have them get over the ones gathered through a normal young life. They do not need anymore.

Trust me, young blacks most certainly hear time and time and time again U.S. Black History by the time they graduate.

You doubters need to listen to Bill Cosby and what he preaches of late.

pace 3 years, 5 months ago

Mr. Milan, thank you , we need to know the difference between what people are saying and what really was. There is no advantage to obscure truth for appearances sake. Thank you.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 5 months ago

Pace, Mr. Milan I believe was tainting Kansas history by telling elementary aged kids our state was racist. This is exactly his message.

There is no advantage to obscure truth for appearances sake......... there are big advantages, it's a living and a good one indeed to flame fires which do us no good as a nation. Did you read about what he does now?

What in the world do you think Jesse Jackson and family do, where the millions and millions of dollars came from? Read the latest book by Bill Cosby.

Again, go to a high school, any high school and you will be amazed at the amount of time spent on African American History.

This is absolutely wrong given the context of 1800 to present Kansas. Mr. Milan painted with an enormous brush and I took and take it as a direct insult.

Perhaps he should have included some facts about our history to offset his "stir the pot" Jesse Jackson type agenda.

I can visit a cemetery and put my hands on 3 direct ancestors tombstones who died in the Civil War. KIA. I can remember primary source my grandparent's church raising money for MLK Jr. and his marches.

MLK Jr. is my main hero in life..............what would he have thought about Mr. Milan's speech? Not much dreaming in my opinion.

pace 3 years, 5 months ago

Mr Milan was correct in offering his testimony. I admire him and wish him well.
thank you again.

Loretta James 3 years, 5 months ago

Well Mr. Milan it was good seeing you even if it was on video the rest of the posters seem to be arguing their history and some need to go restudy it. Glad your doing well keep up the good work.