Archive for Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Jefferson’s to reopen with new owner

February 23, 2011

Jefferson’s Restaurant is expected to reopen soon under new ownership, said Jeff Webb, owner of the franchise.

Earlier this month, the downtown establishment was shut down by the Kansas Department of Revenue because owner Jason Franklin failed to pay close to $47,000 in taxes. Last week, the department of revenue removed the restaurant’s assets from the building at 743 Mass. Those items will be sold at a public auction. The dollar bills that customers pinned to the walls remained in the building.

On Wednesday, Webb, who was in Lawrence, said he is working to line up new owners for the Lawrence restaurant, which is part of a franchise of 12 restaurants in the South and Midwest.

Webb opened the Lawrence restaurant in 2000. Franklin took over ownership of the restaurant in 2005.

Comments

Eddie Muñoz 2 years, 11 months ago

I haven't been down there, but I heard a rumor Jefferson's is open again. Is this true?!

Vinny1 3 years, 1 month ago

I just want to know when and where Vermont St. BBQ is going back in?

blindrabbit 3 years, 1 month ago

Recently never could see in the windows, film of greasy smudges. The original operators (husband and wife) were great, place went downhill after they left

Beavis4you 3 years, 1 month ago

I used to go there when I was in town, but after a few visits I noticed the quality of the food was subpar at best. Service was even worse and I haven't been back in a year. Didn't even know they shut down. I hope the new owner reads the comments and takes notes.....fresh food cooked to order, faster better service will keep the place full. And sweep the floor every day!

northtown 3 years, 1 month ago

Who Cares-Just another poor Lawrence joint that serves dog crap with a mint leaf on top!!

BruceWayne 3 years, 1 month ago

the wings are good. the place was filthy, second only to King Buffet for filth. the service was TERRIBLE.

alfie 3 years, 1 month ago

now it is owned by a retired building contractor?

faceit 3 years, 1 month ago

I went to Hooters in Topeka for the first time in my life recently, I was dropped off to watch the game while they went shopping for an hour. It wasn't what I expected at all visually. The poor girl who served me came from a sad home situation, Her parents are first cousins and the entire family's 15 minutes of fame came when the people of Walmart pictures started circulating. She was a lovely pot-bellied gal with strong hips and shoulders. The uniform was stretched in many directions. She had the cutest dimples all over the back of her thighs; I decided not to order cottage cheese as a side dish. All I could think was, I avoided this place for years to avoid being stereotyped and this is the thanks I get. Every thing she brought to the table she waved in front of her cleavage with the words, "Here it is, I hope you like it." After the first attempt, I didn't fall for those remaining attempts. I have to give Hooters credit, they don't discriminate one bit when they hire. They're new motto must be, if you've got enough guts to wear this...go ahead. I've removed Hooters from my 'places to re-visit list.'

filmmaker06 3 years, 1 month ago

I hear that another bar had already put an offer in on the lease, if i was the owner i would go with a bar that had a good standing in the town rather than a bar with a record of not paying taxes. Why start over with a bar that already hasn't worked. Lets get a new bar in place.

Mike Edson 3 years, 1 month ago

Too bad it is reopening. It would be nice to see something else go in that space.

Kontum1972 3 years, 1 month ago

jeffersons use to be a really fun place to go...but your right...and the quality of service hit the toilet and so did the food.....i miss Cara......(most will remember her)... that drop dead gorgeous blond she kept those girls rocking...then she graduated...and the place went into a crash dive...food sucked and so did the service..that use to be the place all the hawk basketball players hung out.....Roy's boys...my son loved going there as i little boy... i hope u bring it back....MR. new owner...i have a few dollars hanging up there....

God speed Skypilot7273

macon47 3 years, 1 month ago

ate there twice was never impressed

at least he didnt put the money up his nose thats whats the lawence locals like

drugs are good the same nice guy that sells you pot sells crack to your kids.

FarneyMac 3 years, 1 month ago

Hopefully the new owners will consider actually cleaning the restaurant once in a while, or perhaps occasionally cooking food to order. Either/or would be nice, really.

As long as Franklin's kicked to the curb, there's actually a chance. What a lazy moron...which reminds me - whoever the new owner is, here's a tip from the pros: don't spend 12 hours a day pumping your restaurant's profits into the Golden Tee machine.