Archive for Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Jefferson’s to reopen with new owner

February 23, 2011

Jefferson’s Restaurant is expected to reopen soon under new ownership, said Jeff Webb, owner of the franchise.

Earlier this month, the downtown establishment was shut down by the Kansas Department of Revenue because owner Jason Franklin failed to pay close to $47,000 in taxes. Last week, the department of revenue removed the restaurant’s assets from the building at 743 Mass. Those items will be sold at a public auction. The dollar bills that customers pinned to the walls remained in the building.

On Wednesday, Webb, who was in Lawrence, said he is working to line up new owners for the Lawrence restaurant, which is part of a franchise of 12 restaurants in the South and Midwest.

Webb opened the Lawrence restaurant in 2000. Franklin took over ownership of the restaurant in 2005.

Comments

Tim Quest 4 years, 6 months ago

Hopefully the new owners will consider actually cleaning the restaurant once in a while, or perhaps occasionally cooking food to order. Either/or would be nice, really.

As long as Franklin's kicked to the curb, there's actually a chance. What a lazy moron...which reminds me - whoever the new owner is, here's a tip from the pros: don't spend 12 hours a day pumping your restaurant's profits into the Golden Tee machine.

Kontum1972 4 years, 6 months ago

jeffersons use to be a really fun place to go...but your right...and the quality of service hit the toilet and so did the food.....i miss Cara......(most will remember her)... that drop dead gorgeous blond she kept those girls rocking...then she graduated...and the place went into a crash dive...food sucked and so did the service..that use to be the place all the hawk basketball players hung out.....Roy's boys...my son loved going there as i little boy... i hope u bring it back....MR. new owner...i have a few dollars hanging up there....

God speed Skypilot7273

riverdrifter 4 years, 6 months ago

Cara: whoa, Nellie she was a hottie for sure. Yep, clean the joint up. I do hope they serve up the same basic menue. Their fried oyster baskets were good to the bitter end.

Mike Edson 4 years, 6 months ago

Too bad it is reopening. It would be nice to see something else go in that space.

filmmaker06 4 years, 6 months ago

I hear that another bar had already put an offer in on the lease, if i was the owner i would go with a bar that had a good standing in the town rather than a bar with a record of not paying taxes. Why start over with a bar that already hasn't worked. Lets get a new bar in place.

hawksfan816 4 years, 5 months ago

yeah Hooters in Topeka sucks I live in Topeka been there only a few times thats when it was first built If you wanna experience a Hooters go to one in KC

alfie 4 years, 6 months ago

now it is owned by a retired building contractor?

BruceWayne 4 years, 6 months ago

the wings are good. the place was filthy, second only to King Buffet for filth. the service was TERRIBLE.

Beavis4you 4 years, 6 months ago

I used to go there when I was in town, but after a few visits I noticed the quality of the food was subpar at best. Service was even worse and I haven't been back in a year. Didn't even know they shut down. I hope the new owner reads the comments and takes notes.....fresh food cooked to order, faster better service will keep the place full. And sweep the floor every day!

blindrabbit 4 years, 6 months ago

Recently never could see in the windows, film of greasy smudges. The original operators (husband and wife) were great, place went downhill after they left

Vinny1 4 years, 6 months ago

I just want to know when and where Vermont St. BBQ is going back in?

filmmaker06 4 years, 6 months ago

I thought i saw an article awhile back that it is going in where Joe College was.

Eddie Muñoz 4 years, 3 months ago

I haven't been down there, but I heard a rumor Jefferson's is open again. Is this true?!