Archive for Monday, February 21, 2011

House panel approves Kansas voter ID bill

February 21, 2011

— A voting bill sought by Secretary of State Kris Kobach has been approved by a Kansas House committee.

The House Elections and Local Government Committee amended the bill Monday to clarify documents that voters could use to prove citizenship when registering to vote.

It also sets a process for first-time voters to prove citizenship if they lack documents when they initially register.

Kobach says the changes are necessary to prevent voter fraud and to preserve the integrity of the election process.

Democrats on the committee voted against the bill, saying the changes will disenfranchise voters by requiring extra steps to vote.

The House expects to debate the bill later this week.

Comments

Shelley Bock 3 years, 8 months ago

What are the documents? I'd like to know if I'm a citizen or not.

Grump 3 years, 8 months ago

As long as you don't have an "olive complexion," you'll be OK.

GardenMomma 3 years, 8 months ago

So...if I'm already a registered voter, will I be required to re-register?

William Weissbeck 3 years, 8 months ago

More to the point, what about voter registration drives? Is this really an effort to make it impossible for groups to register voters at the local grocery store. After all, who is going to decide whether a prospective voter has valid documents? Are these groups going to have to retain these and turn them over to the state? There just aren't that many unregistered poor, black, old people or "illegals" in this state to register that could "throw" an election. This is a move more likely aimed at new voters = students, and those whose registrations have lapsed = because there is no one on the ballot that they care to vote for.

lucky_guy 3 years, 8 months ago

No KK will inform those whose can vote and those that can't.

Richard Payton 3 years, 8 months ago

What's next shredding of paper votes or magnetic data erasing of votes?

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 8 months ago

When this law passes Kansas will go from having 1 or 2 cases of voter fraud every two years to having 1 or 2 cases of voter fraud every two years, which is what has happened in other states with ID laws.

Success!

skull 3 years, 8 months ago

Yeah... those crafty democrats have thrown many an election with their illegal votes. Thats how we ended up with an intelligent governor just a few years back. I say intelligent because she was smart enough to leave before all this began.

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 8 months ago

Voter fraud in Kansas -- http://www.blogforarizona.com/blog/2009/07/green-valley-couple-loves-voting-a-bit-too-much.html

According to a Federal indictment and local news outlets, a Green Valley couple, James and Karen Marshall, voted once too often in the recent Presidential election. They re-registered as permanent Arizona citizens and voted here, but also voted in their old domiciliary state of Kansas.

The Marshalls are registered Republicans, and don't just vote they also have made a number of campaign contributions. To Republicans.

verity 3 years, 8 months ago

Well, ain't that special.

Maybe if we clean up all the vast voter fraud in Kansas, Democrats will start winning elections.

verity 3 years, 8 months ago

I think you may have misunderstood me, autie, or I am misunderstanding you. I meant that apparently the voter fraud favors the Republicans, not the Democrats as so many on these boards would have us believe.

jafs 3 years, 8 months ago

Of course.

If there's significant voter fraud in KS, it's helping the Republicans.

TheShaman 3 years, 8 months ago

It will be interesting to see how this gets implemented.

I moved to Lawrence in August, but haven't yet switched my voting registration (wanted on last chance to vote against Mr. Barney Frank...uh oh, was that voter fraud since I don't live there anymore and aren't going back?), I also don't have a photo ID, unless a college ID taken in 1998 counts :).

Having been born, grown up, and gone to college in an urban area where public transportation and walking was a way of life I've never gotten a drivers license and haven't had the need to run out and get a state issued photo ID. While I certainly wasn't in the majority where I came from, it wasn't exactly uncommon either in my old neighborhood (neither of my parents have had licenses either).

I'm certainly not hurting and can (and will) afford to go out and get a state issued ID if I have to in order to vote, I do wonder however if larger urban areas like KC and Wichita may have significant populations who sort of fit the picture above. Is the state going to have to set up a new low/no cost program to issue state ID's to those who don't have them and can't afford them? How much will this cost the state and will that be worth it for what gains are made in the interests of voting integrity? and (more than a little facetiously) what of the Amish (do they even vote)? Most of them do have a religious aversion to being photographed.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 8 months ago

They don't say anything about how much this will cost to implement. Given that voter fraud is non-existant, and given the $500 million budget shortfall, shouldn't that be a prime consideration as this bill goes up for consideration?

Richard Payton 3 years, 8 months ago

I wonder if next election the party chairman's suggest hiring hackers to insure a correct vote? Maybe they will have bouncer's at the polling places Mr. KK.

somebodynew 3 years, 8 months ago

I wonder if that little provision giving him enforcement powers was included. Somehow I bet that it was. That will not be a good thing, just wait.

monkeyhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Wi. may be voting on the same thing soon. Do you think the yellow dogs will come running back home?

CHKNLTL 3 years, 8 months ago

Hey, when is the next election here anyway? for commissioners? taxes? I want to go vote! I already present my license at the polls.

CHKNLTL 3 years, 8 months ago

April 5th Get out and vote against these cheesewhizboyz that want to spend all our money! (get it? cheese whiz is fake)

Barbara Emert 3 years, 8 months ago

I have read everything that I can find on the Kobach crusade and have yet to see him list the specific voter fraud cases he counts. The only case I know of was certainly not fraud, was a serviceman returning from Iraq who tried to vote but wasn't registered. Wish he'd put up or shut up.

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, that guy should have voted in Iraq. Fraud!!!

Shelley Bock 3 years, 8 months ago

I, too, would like to see what the instances are that are evidence of voter fraud. If it is such a problem, there must be concrete, specific, times when it has happened. As of yet, these occurances seem to be a big secret. I don't want to hear stories about "...a truck load of people who showed up to vote..."

mr_right_wing 3 years, 8 months ago

Just stop for a moment and consider how this will help the economy. Up to this point fake ids were pretty much for teens who wanted to buy booze, but now some will seek them so they can vote. It opens up a whole new market!

Some of you who did this in high school (before you dropped out) will be able to get back in the biz and make some $$ so you can move out of your parent's basement!

Cup half full!