Archive for Sunday, February 20, 2011

Lawrence City Commission candidate Sven Alstrom still under orders of 2004 bankruptcy filing

February 20, 2011

Lawrence City Commission candidate Sven Alstrom confirmed to the Journal-World that he’s still under the orders of a personal bankruptcy filing from 2004.

Alstrom said the filing was a result of a downturn in his architectural business in Aspen, Colo., following the terrorist attacks in 2001.

“I’m part of a cyclical industry,” Alstrom said. “I feel like there is not the stigma attached to it that there used to be because a lot of people have had to go through this.”

According to Alstrom’s bankruptcy filing from July 1, 2004, he had assets of about $34,890 vs. liabilities of about $86,500. Among the debts that he had not paid at the time of the filing were $11,589 in unpaid taxes to the Internal Revenue Service and the state of Colorado dating back to 2000.

Alstrom said his finances are now in better order as business has started to improve. He said his bankruptcy is scheduled to be discharged May 1.

“I really feel like it is over,” Alstrom said. “I feel like it is behind me.”

Comments

boxers_or_briefs 4 years, 2 months ago

Nothing is ever "over" Sven. Good luck in the future.

gl0ck0wn3r 4 years, 2 months ago

Wow this got buried. I wonder what projects Sven has going that allows him to suggest that the whole thing should be resolved in May?

Flap Doodle 4 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, this stayed under the radar for a while.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 2 months ago

What does your first sentence (which is totally full of wild blueberry muffins) have to do with your second sentence, bub?

svenway_park 4 years, 2 months ago

I knew this was out there...and I am not totally convinced there is not another earlier one......but every time I alluded to it (bankruptcy), Mr. Alstrom would zap my comments on this forum. Knowing this stuff was fully discoverable since he is a candidate, he did the right thing with the LJW to admit (at least some of) his sins.

Likewise, he never previously ever fessed up properly to explain why a 59-year old individual had to depend upon a testamentary trust from his elderly ma-ma to own his (non-ecological) house purchase of the concrete house in which he lives. Well, he couldn't borrow money, if he actually had any equity, because he was bankrupt.

Oh, he would spin about tax benefits, title issues, and they were all nonsense and lies. And that is only a part of the problem.

svenway_park 4 years, 2 months ago

I am interested to learn why in recent years that Mr. Alstrom has signed his name in "letters to the editor" in submissions to the Aspen newspaper reflecting an Aspen place of being, if not residency.

He will defend this in saying he "maintained an office in Aspen" and that this indication was simply a reflection of his business addresses.

I would suggest that a one-person professional firm that was and is highly under-employed really had no second office in Aspen, other than a courtesy mailing address.

He maintained a "vanity" presence in Aspen, because of what Aspen means. He really did not fully accept his relocation to Lawrence. Nor does he yet. Check out his bumper stickers on that white Volvo.

So, do you want a wanna-be Aspenite to be your Commissioner?

I think these are fair questions.