Archive for Friday, February 18, 2011

Water leaked into gasoline tanks at a BP

February 18, 2011

A Lawrence BP gasoline station is not selling basic unleaded gas after problems with the fuel were reported Thursday morning. The station, 2301 La., experienced similar problems three years ago.

Gary Hague, general manager of Hague Oil Company, which operates the station, said the tank alarm went off at the station about 9 a.m. Thursday. That, and complaints from a few customers, indicated there was a problem with the unleaded gasoline.

Hague said water got into the tanks through a faulty seal. He said the area has a high water table and water went over the tanks, allowing it to seep in.

“It was a site-specific problem,” he said.

Hague said there was no problem with the gasoline supplied to the station, and it was still selling premium gasoline. The regular tanks are disabled so customers cannot use them.

Hague said on Friday that crews had been working to fix the problem and were searching for parts now. He said it would probably be Monday or Tuesday before the station would be able to sell regular gasoline again.

Hague would not comment on what the station was doing for customers who purchased the faulty gasoline.

Comments

May Soo 3 years, 10 months ago

Again? That's why I don't go to BP anymore after the incident in 2007. Messed up my car really bad.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 10 months ago

Must be water from the Gulf of Mexico. I hear they had a problem down there.

spongebob 3 years, 10 months ago

Agreed... First there is petrol into the water. Then there is water into the petrol. Ahh.... how nice.

countrygal07 3 years, 10 months ago

I hope BP takes care of the customers that they sold bad gas to. Its not fair to the customers to have to pay for repairs on there vehicles when Its a known fact its BP's fault.

LogicMan 3 years, 10 months ago

Seems that they need a sump pump to lower the water table there, if allowed by the EPA.

John Hamm 3 years, 10 months ago

This is one reason you NEVER purchase fuel from a station being refueled or recently refueled! They all say "We have filters and traps to stop water" but they don't work 100%..... In case you're wondering - the refueling stirs up all the trash at the bottom of the tank.

local_vocal 3 years, 10 months ago

Gas pumps do have filters to keep out debris, as well as your car having a fuel filter. The "trash" in the tankers is at a minimum in relation to quantity of fuel, so both systems of filters should eliminate your concern. As for water, you cant filter that.

deec 3 years, 10 months ago

But if your fuel filter in the car is clogged with debris from the gas, you are still faced with repair costs.

BigPrune 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm surprised this even made the news. It reminds me of some small town newspaper like the Marysville Gazette or the Mayberry Chronicle. This happens all the time at various service stations don't you think, or how about too low of an octane rated gas in the tank? Think it would be an article if it happened at the Dillon's gas station/Kwik Shop since they're big advertisers?

.......So whatever happened to the mystery "wild cat" story where the mountain lion cub got hit by a car on 15th and someone stole its carcass?

Peaty Romano 3 years, 10 months ago

I figured something was up when I saw a bunch of guys crouched down looking into the tanks with all sorts equipment. I hope they do right by the customers.

2GenLtown 3 years, 10 months ago

BP just can't seem to seperate it's oil from water.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 10 months ago

If water leaked in, any chance gas leaked out, into ground water?

1julie1 3 years, 10 months ago

How long has the BP on 9th (across from the Merc) been closed? Did that just happen? It looks like there are signs on the entry doors, but I didn't notice that until I was past the turn-in to the station.

Ken Lassman 3 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, instead of the sentence fragment headline, they shoulda played with it a little more. How 'bout:

BP water spill contaminates gas; spokesman says Gulf of Mexico will not be affected

wood451 3 years, 10 months ago

I got a tank of water from them during the previous incident. I sent them copies of the bills including a fresh tank of gas, tow bill and repairs. They sent me a check. Hague is a honorable company. But they do need to fix this problem in a highly visible way.