Archive for Friday, February 18, 2011

Kansas House panel advances abortion restrictions bill

February 18, 2011

— A Kansas House committee has endorsed a bill patterned on a Nebraska law that restricts abortions based on when a fetus is likely to feel pain.

The Federal and State Affairs Committee took little time working the measure Friday before sending it to the full House on a voice vote.

The bill would restrict abortions after 22 weeks. Proponents contend that a fetus develops enough to feel and respond to pain by 20 weeks, but cannot manage or modulate that pain until closer to 40 weeks.

The Nebraska law took effect in 2010 and but has not faced court challenge.

Critics contend that in 1992, the U.S. Supreme Court barred states from enacting laws prohibiting abortion before the fetus is viable outside the womb.

Comments

parrothead8 3 years, 10 months ago

In related news, a Kansas House committee has endorsed a bill that restricts women's rights to choose how they care for their own bodies.

notanota 3 years, 10 months ago

Yes, it is, since mainly this functions to force women to carry babies they know will die or have already died to term and/or to use procedures more likely to jeopardize the woman's health when it happens. That's who gets an abortion at 22 weeks. It isn't some bimbo who found out she's knocked up after a party at the crack house. This is the government intruding on a family's grief and forcing them to birth in the method they choose.

Not that it matters, since a terrorist already murdered our state's only provider while he was attending church services, and nobody else wants to reopen his practice.

notanota 3 years, 10 months ago

This law doesn't address that either. A woman's constitutional right to privacy has already been established, whether you or I approve of the choice she makes. This law is talking about 22 weeks, when a woman has already been feeling that baby kick in her womb and knows she's only got two weeks before she reaches the point of viability. That's beyond the point of casual birth control abortion you object to. This is the point of dire circumstances, and a woman deciding she needs to end a pregnancy early to save her life or because that baby has no chance of life at all certainly does not need your sermon about it.

And yes, the termination of an already dead fetus is quite often impacted by laws designed to punish women and their constitutional choices, because it often limits the procedures doctors can use to save the life and health of the woman involved.

notanota 3 years, 10 months ago

Thank you for admitting that your off topic rambling is neither helpful nor persuasive.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 10 months ago

I knew when the Republicans managed to snooker the gullible voters, that this sort of crap would be on their agenda.

To hell with jobs, commerce, tax base, and economic issues, they have to pull the "moral" thing that is so incendary to many people and grandstand about it. Great use of taxpayer money putting these morons, these Phillll Klineee's in office.

kusp8 3 years, 10 months ago

I know that this is an AP article, but this clearly is a typo, "The Nebraska law took effect in 2010 and but has not faced court challenge."

unclebiff 3 years, 10 months ago

I support the (unborn) woman's right to not experience pain inflicted by other humans.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 10 months ago

I support the (born) woman's right to not die at the hands of others' morals.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm talking about the back alley and the coat hanger. But in your opinion those women would deserve to die.

Fred Mertz 3 years, 10 months ago

Question for those that oppose this bill. Do you not believe the fetus feels pain or do you believe it feels pain but do not care?

I believe a woman, under our Constitution, has a right to abort her fetus up until the point that it becomes a viable fetus (of course there are exceptions). Now at 22 weeks it may not be viable, but if it indeed does feel pain do we want to allow an abortion?

It is a balance between being cruel and a woman's rights. Does inflicting pain upon a living organism trump a woman's right to abort her pregnancy?

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 10 months ago

There is no scientific evidence whatsoever to support the position that a fetus feels pain at 20 weeks. In fact, their nervous system is undeveloped at birth to the extent that there is a decreased sensation of pain even at 40 weeks gestation when a child is born. This is a natural protective mechanism. Otherwise a baby literally could not tolerate the pain of being born. The nervous system doesn't fully develop until the age of 6 months. If you don't believe me, look it up and try and stay with scientific sites like ACOG and not prolife sites like Operation Rescue. They will tell outrageous lies with a straight face and show you photo shopped pictures of monkey fetuses and tell you they're "aborted babies".

laaiken 3 years, 10 months ago

Can you please explain how wanting a fair wage for your work has anything to do with abortion? The unions have done such horrible things for the workers of this country, things like reducing the work week from 80 hours to 40, paid vacations, paid holidays, medical insurance for working families, increased safety at work and so on. The increased wages for the union worker has also increased the wages of the non-union worker as the non-union employer has to compete for workers.

How can companies from Germany and other European countries compete so well here in this country, when their unions have gotten so much more from their companies? It is because the management of those companies understand that their workers can only buy their products if they make a wage that allows them to do so.

As unions are working for the betterment of all, isn't that the Christian way, as compared to those CEOs who will drop your health insurance just when you need it most and then take $700 million bonuses?

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 10 months ago

Gee, Blood. Don't know what I did to merit this but I sure your twisted knickers, didn't I?

JayhawksandHerd 3 years, 10 months ago

"God cares and it will be a terrifying day when one must stand before God and explain why they took and killed to preserve themselves..."

He might ask the same of a few corporate executives and U.S. Presidents.

Jimo 3 years, 10 months ago

Gee,we're broke but not so broke we can't waste millions on a guaranteed to lose lawsuit.

Another jobs-killing distraction from the GOP's lack of answers.

yourworstnightmare 3 years, 10 months ago

Liberty liberty! Let freedom and liberty ring!

laaiken 3 years, 10 months ago

Republicans (and the Tea-Baggers), the great reducers of government. They will reduce the government regulation of the wealthy business owners while increasing the regulation on anything they see as not up to their religious standards. Trickle down works for the rich, trickle up works for all.

notanota 3 years, 10 months ago

I'd suggest you get to work right away on an artificial womb that will incubate all unwanted fetuses without impacting the health of the woman involved. Come back when you've invented this, and then we'll talk.

Or I suppose another form of legislation. All fathers of unwanted pregnancies will have one testicle removed per conception. I guarantee that's a mistake they won't make more than twice, and hey, forced birthing should have consequences for men, too. You can use that law forcing DNA testing at birth to figure out who the lucky testicle loser will be.

notanota 3 years, 10 months ago

If ether makes you light-headed, I'd suggest you stop huffing paint.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 10 months ago

The bodies of the "unborn" can be anything. Unborn chickens? (Those are called eggs.) Unborn fish? (That's called caviar.) Unborn potential humans? (Those are initially called zygotes and when cell differentiation reaches a certain point it's called a "fetus". Understand that at this point it still has gills like a fish, a tail, bug eyes and looks like a tadpole).

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 10 months ago

Wow you must really hate God then, since, according to you, 80% of the human race routinely gets flushed down the toilet or thrown away in a "personal product".

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 10 months ago

Just to let ya know, 80% of all conceptions are automatically miscarried and flushed out with the woman's cycle. That's because your so called "conception" takes place too late in the cycle for the zygote to implant or something is wrong with the egg or something is wrong with the sperm, or God just didn't like it. Myriads of reasons. If you believe in God then you must hate Him because God is a far bigger aborter than any doctor on this planet. Maybe Operation Rescue should start picketing churches.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 10 months ago

Can you say "non sequitur"? I can guarantee you that women who abort do not see that decision as being done for "lifestyle choices". How is rape a "lifestyle choice"/ How is a pregnancy that has the capability of killing the mother a "lifestyle choice"? You really DO hate women don't you?

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 10 months ago

FloridaSunshine 3 years, 10 months ago

Just so that everyone knows, my comments to Liberty_One were deleted, as were his to me (regarding "South shouldn't celebrate racist history")...I wanted to say goodbye to you all. It's been great fun and you all are so terrific! However, I will not be censored when others are making far worse comments than I made to Liberty_One. I feel very sad about this.

I never wrote one curse word, nor do I think Liberty_One did...and yet I'm seeing now, and have seen in the past, several posters using WTF, etc. Do the guardians of this forum not know what certain expressions mean? If those "sayings" are accepted and mine, which had nothing to do with curse words, were not, something is VERY wrong here.

Liberty_One and I hammered each other...but certainly not any more than a lot of you do with each other. And I see the "guardians" have left many of Liberty-One's dialog with others.

I am deleting myself from this forum...I have been sorted out for some reason that I don't understand because I've read much worse things than I wrote to Liberty_One...and he to me!! I'd say the guardians of this forum are tremendously biased. It's absurd that my writings have been deleted along with Liberty_One's. Maybe it's that I'm a "new-comer"...well, "guardians", you all can have your LJW. I remember one of your names...Whitney...and I think John, also. Guess I don't know the "right people"' yet (not that I would want to).

My only regret is that I thoroughly enjoyed so many of you and your comments...I hope you know who you are!! I will miss you.

I've never been censored like this in my entire life...I feel very strange...this isn't the U.S. A. This feels like a dictatorship. Why would I want to be a part of that? I worked in politics for more than 30 years of my life and never had anything like this happen to me. This I will never forget...it leaves me with a really bad taste for all that is Kansas...but I will try to understand that it has nothing to do with the wonderful people I've met on this forum. I feel a great emptiness in leaving you all...I will truly miss you!

Well, toodles, y'all...it's been a great time 'til now...

Kathy Getto 3 years, 10 months ago

Take your ball and go home then, Florida - this IS a dictatorship as this is a private forum.

Kathy Getto 3 years, 10 months ago

I don't think you are necessarily out of the loop, oph. I have a hard time with posters who get their feelings hurt so they write a long diatribe and post it on more than one thread. Your normal person would just go away, without need for attention. Then to say that they have a bad taste in their mouth for Kansas and imply they have fallen into a third world country with a dictator, all to say goodbye to the lovely folks they met while playing on this privately run forum??? WOW indeed.

I normally skipped over Florida's posts due to my perception (admittedly vague) of FloridaShunshine, but that one irked me so I commented. I sincerely hope your perception of me up to this point has not been tarnished. :-0