Archive for Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Dense fog advisory expires in Douglas County

February 16, 2011, 6:19 a.m. Updated February 16, 2011, 12:14 p.m.

The National Weather Service has canceled a dense fog advisory for most of northeast Kansas.

Visibility was reduced to less than a quarter of a mile or worse in many locations until the fog began to lift late Wednesday. Conditions will continue to improve as winds increase from the south.

Counties affected by the advisory included:

• Anderson
  • Nemaha
  • Osage
  • Pottawatomie
  • Riley
  • Shawnee
  • Wabaunsee

Comments

sallyone 4 years, 6 months ago

I personnally kept my two kids home from school today as I thought that the roads would be too hazardous to have children out on them so we are having a fog day! Hurray!

Kash_Encarri 4 years, 6 months ago

Just the opposite for me RI. It was a PITA driving down a couple of our city streets where the streetlights were out. Driving those streets that had street lights and some lighted signs at least provided some additional reference points that otherwise were difficult to pick out with 50-100 visibility.

I do agree with the comment above about using headlights. In a morning fog, it isn't so you can see BUT so you can be seen.

wmathews 4 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, they extended the advisory until noon and I was caught up with the Borders story. I updated the info.

speedykitty 4 years, 6 months ago

Don't believe I have ever driven in worse fog than that about 9 p.m. last evening, from So. Topeka, to Ottawa. Once I no longer had occasional street lights, it was really hard to find those reference points. The ramp down from US 75 onto US 56 was so dark, and turning onto 56 was hard to see. Santa Fe Trail HS was dismissing people into the fog, perhaps from basketball? All along the way the side-line of the highway was dirty and hard to see. 56 has no shoulders, and significant ditches. On the new 4 lane part of Hy 59, I was afraid I would miss my interchange as they were very hard to see, as was my driveway. Now, this morning, the fog is surrendering very slowly. Respect fog because you don't know what is coming your way!

jehovah_bob 4 years, 6 months ago

Thank you for not driving into my parents house on your way home.

Liberty275 4 years, 6 months ago

I think it's important we all remember that if it is foggy or it it isn't foggy, global warming/climate change/ocean warming/giant radiators are to blame.

somedude20 4 years, 6 months ago

it is like Cheech and Chong smokeboxed all of Larrytown.

gccs14r 4 years, 6 months ago

I've seen worse. Driving into Tulsa from the west late one night, the fog was so thick that the only thing I could see was the taillights of the semitrailer that I was glued to. I just hoped that he was above the fog enough to see, because if he had driven off into the river, I would have gone off right behind him.