Archive for Saturday, February 12, 2011

Man who fired gun at car receives jail time for ‘shock’ value

February 12, 2011

A Douglas County judge on Friday ordered a 38-year-old Fairway man to serve two months in jail as part of his punishment for firing a gun into a vehicle his stepdaughter was riding in last August in Lawrence.

“It was just unfathomable that you would use that type of judgment,” District Judge Michael Malone told Marc D. Conley shortly before he handed down the sentence.

Conley had pleaded no contest in December to criminal discharge of a firearm and was convicted after prosecutors said he fired multiple shots into the car early on Aug. 22 near 23rd Street and Naismith Drive.

According to court testimony, Conley along with others, including his stepson, were in pursuit of the vehicle in Lawrence because his stepdaughter had run away from home while she was under house arrest. Conley said he acted out of anger, never meant to hurt anyone and was trying to stop the car that his stepdaughter was a passenger in and 18-year-old Terrance Williams was driving.

Deborah Moody, an assistant district attorney, said Williams received diversion in Johnson County District Court for contributing to a child’s misconduct. No one was injured in the incident.

“I’m very sorry. I never meant any harm to you or your family. I’m very sorry,” Conley told Williams during the hearing.

Williams told Malone in court that bullet holes came close to his head, and he said Conley deserved to go to prison. “Mr. Conley fired a loaded gun at my car,” he said. “I truly believe it was an intent to kill me.”

Defense attorney Craig Stancliffe and Moody said Conley had no prior criminal history and the plea agreement included a recommendation to spend a weekend in jail in addition to registering as a violent offender, seeking a mental health evaluation, serving probation and paying $3,500 restitution to repair the car.

But Malone went beyond the recommendation from the attorneys and ordered Conley to serve 60 days in jail as “shock time” before beginning his two-year probation term.

Comments

countrygal07 4 years, 2 months ago

What? Only 60 days in jail? Was there a bullet hole in the car by the victims head? If so this case should have been looked at as possible attempted murder. Trying to stop the vehicle? Let the police do that. Whatever the situation was this guy had no right to fire a gun at anyones vehicle. Glad I dont live in Lawrence but most of all Im glad this wasnt my family member cause I would be mad as hell. Guess Lawrence is saying its alright to shoot at a vehicle if your trying to stop it. Geez. What ashame.

Daniel Dicks 4 years, 2 months ago

It is Lawrence Kansas afterall. Lots of country folks chasing down their offspring trying to mate. And guns are just handy.

Bob Forer 4 years, 2 months ago

One thug asking the judge to send another thug to prison. Funny.

RogueThrill 4 years, 2 months ago

Wait, let me get this straight.

Someone discharged a gun in city limits? While pointed at another car with people in it? Ostensibly in traffic on 23rd and Naismith? And they were under no form of duress to do so?

And Jimmy Doyle over here only gets prison time for it's shock value?

Do we live in Somalia now?

Majestic42 4 years, 2 months ago

implying guns make a society uncivilized

kernal 4 years, 2 months ago

I was surprised about this, but then I don't know All the background info that led up to the incident. Considering Judge Malone ",,, went beyond the recommendations of the attorneys..." which would include the assistant DA, there's probably more to this case than what's stated in this article.

There are somethings that occurs in peoples lives that are not a "need to know" for the public. I assume that's what happened here.

RogueThrill 4 years, 2 months ago

All I need to know is that he shot a firearm at people in public.

Scott Morgan 4 years, 2 months ago

You can get a harder sentence for harvesting illegal deer.

On gun education.

No little Jackie and Jimmy, this is not what the NRA wishes, in fact the organization is for much tougher sentences. What a horrible message to send to a violent and growing more violent society.

All I need to know is my Wissmos could have hit by a stray round.

People living in the area could have been hit by a stray bullet.

In his last hearing the criminal lied again stating he was trying to shoot the tires out.

High paid people are arguing a little "cooler time" is too much? Think about this one seriously.

Sniff sniff, I smell a bigger story, what I didn't read was whether Mr. Conley has a clean record.

tomatogrower 4 years, 2 months ago

Although I don't excuse this guy for what he did, and he should serve jail time, I would like to know where his bimbo step daughter is? Is she back in jail, and no longer under house arrest? Did he mortgage his house to bail her out, and that's why he was trying to keep her from running? What he did was wrong, but I think I would tell this step daughter she is on her own from now on.

tomatogrower 4 years, 2 months ago

She was also under house arrest. And I would guess that the father probably paid bail money. I myself would have immediately called the police to give them a description of the car and who she was with. That would have been the sensible thing to do. But he was probably seeing his bail money running down the road, and it set off a lot of fireworks. Yes, he should be thrown in jail, but the step daughter doesn't sound like any victim to me. I hope she was arrested for skipping out on house arrest.

Majestic42 4 years, 2 months ago

Failure to read the article doesn't give you a free pass, jackbinkelman.

labmonkey 4 years, 2 months ago

For once, you and I see eye to eye. Good post.

ksjayhawk74 4 years, 2 months ago

60 days for firing several rounds into a car, having bullets come close to a person's head...

Good thing he didn't have any weed on him, or else they really would have thrown the book at him.

dontcallmedan 4 years, 2 months ago

Poor guy is probably going to have to travel to Arizona to buy his guns and ammo after he gets out of jail.

Keithmichal 4 years, 2 months ago

This is disgusting. A 38 year old white man shoots repeatedly at the head of an 18 year old black college student and the District Attorney's office recommends NO JAIL TIME!

If the victim was white this would be a very different story.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 2 months ago

How clever of you to throw down the race card, keith.

brewmaster 4 years, 2 months ago

Hey Keithmichal,

Markieff Morris intentionally shot someone on campus with a BB gun. KU policy clearly defined it as a weapon. However, he didn't receive a single hour of "shock" time in jail. He didn't even get suspended from the basketball team.

I wonder...if he were a white guy...and did not play basketball...would that have been a very different story.

Majestic42 4 years, 2 months ago

OOOOO Snap. I see what you did there. [waits patiently for someone to accuse brewmaster of not being a true KU fan]