Archive for Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Critics say Kris Kobach’s election fraud bill too drastic

February 9, 2011

— Critics of Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach's election fraud bill are criticizing him for not seeking less drastic administrative changes first.

Kobach strongly disputes that voters will be disenfranchised and he contends such changes are necessary to protect the integrity of the state's elections.

But Kevin Myles president of the NAACP's Kansas chapter, said Kobach should be exploring alternatives to a big overhaul of election laws.

Comments

thatonedude 4 years, 6 months ago

The integrity of Kansas elections isn't in danger. Kobach needs to calm down.

repaste 4 years, 6 months ago

So 30% absentee ballots let us know who is voting?

1957 4 years, 6 months ago

"They told the House Elections Committee on Wednesday that the measure would end door-to-door and other community voter registration drives and likely disenfranchise poor and minority voters."

It would more likely disenfranchise ineligible voters of the ACORN variety. Has everyone already forgotten what they did in 2008?

"The bill would require voters to show photo identification at the polls and people to provide proof of citizenship when they register for the first time in Kansas."

Wow this is really onerous, having to prove you are who you say you are.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 6 months ago

"It would more likely disenfranchise ineligible voters of the ACORN variety."

You're just repeating a lie. And just because you've chosen to be ignorant of the lie behind what you choose to believe doesn't make it any less of a lie, nor does it justify the rush to create a new law (and the expense it takes to implement and enforce it) that fixes a problem that doesn't exist.

ksjayhawk74 4 years, 6 months ago

What ACORN did was, had temporary employees that made up false registration cards, to make it look like they were working. The faked cards were reported by ACORN themselves once they figured out what happened... What more could they have done?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 6 months ago

Actually, they are required by law to turn in all registrations, even the ones they know are bogus. Which is precisely what they did, and they flagged those they suspected of being bogus.

notanota 4 years, 6 months ago

You've apparently already forgotten what they did in 2008 and replaced it with a convenient fear-mongering fiction.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 years, 6 months ago

Kobach wants to follow Brownback to the White House.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 6 months ago

Or maybe the other way around. Kris thinks he's attorney general. Why shouldn't he think he's governor. Why not president?

PalinPalms 4 years, 6 months ago

<3 <3 you say drastic, I say DREAMY <3 <3

jesse499 4 years, 6 months ago

Well we don't need to know if your who you say you are and who cares if your legal lets just go all the way and say you don't need ID for a check or a debit card or any of those everybodys so trust worthy H____ just because ilegals or coming over the border like a freeway that doesn't mean anything.

jesse499 4 years, 6 months ago

Who Cares. Makes as much sense as some of the other s___ on here.

blindrabbit 4 years, 6 months ago

Nicht kritisieren Herr Kobach! He only wants to purify the voting process; please don't confuse with 1930/40's Germanic principles. Jawohl!

kthxbi 4 years, 6 months ago

Surly his time and energy would be better spent focusing on more pertinent issues …Unless he is planning a ride to power on a wave of xenophobia.

kthxbi 4 years, 6 months ago

not to be confused with waves of mutilation. waves of mutilation waves of mutilation

optimist 4 years, 6 months ago

I don't understand the problem here. These appear to be common sense measures for protecting the integrity of the electoral process. It is my opinion that if even one ineligible person votes (or worse ballot boxes are stuffed or someone votes more than once) the system is flawed. Voting is a privilege and we must each put forth the effort to register and be prepared to vote come Election Day. Going to authorized registration sites and proving we are eligible to vote seem like basic responsibilities. If we can't take these simple steps to protect the process for everyone then none of us deserve to vote.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 6 months ago

"Voting is a privilege"

No, it is a constitutional right.

jesse499 4 years, 6 months ago

So I take it you want to give your right to anyone legal or otherwise.

WilburNether 4 years, 6 months ago

Voting is a constitutional right?

Really?

Please cite the provision in the Kansas Constitution that makes voting a "constitutional right," or come back here and admit your ignorance.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 6 months ago

You're probably right that there is no explicit right spelled out in the constitution, but there are many instances that spell out how it can't be denied, which in itself suggests a "right to vote."

But my ability to vote is not a "privilege" that you or anyone else has a right to withdraw.

andreainkansas 4 years, 6 months ago

Actually it's right there in Article 5, Section 1.

Lisa Rasor 4 years, 6 months ago

There are many problems with this proposed legislation. I'll just focus on some cost issues: Is the State of Kansas going to provide assistance for people to get copies of their birth certificates? Certified copies aren't free, and costs vary from state to state--if you were born in Kansas it's a real bargain at $15, but maybe you weren't born in Kansas. A Texas birth certificate will cost you $22. A Massachusetts one will cost you $28 (that's if you request via snail mail and can wait 30 days--or you can order one via phone/fax/internet for $45). If I'm on a limited income, that cost is a hardship. OK, now that I've shelled out the cash for my birth certificate, I need to go get a photo I.D. Not everyone has a driver's license, for a variety of reasons, and those I.D.s cost money too. And it'll cost money to get to the place that issues photo I.D.s, as it's unlikely they'll come to me. Remember, I'm on a limited income. Is the state that's requiring all of this going to help me pay for it? Oh, and maybe I'm also someone who has never had to navigate these bureaucracies, because I've gone to the same polling place for the last 40 or 50 years and they know me by name. So I might feel overwhelmed having to jump through all these hoops, and since I can't really afford to pay for the certificate/I.D. anyway, my district might just lose a voter. How is this right?

Bob Forer 4 years, 6 months ago

Considering the poor turnout for general elections, and the lack of evidence in support of Kobach's claim of voter fraud, I think the citizenry would be better served with a plan to increase rather than suppress the number of citizens voting.

William Weissbeck 4 years, 6 months ago

So does Kobach's bill out law voter registration drives at the local grocery store? How exactly does one prove citizenship? How many go off the grocery store with a copy of their birth certificate on the off chance there is a voter registration table set up. Many people don't even keep a copy at home. What they often have are their hospital birth or baptismal certificates, not the official state seal. And who is going to be qualified to judge the proof? Kobach can't be everywhere? Hey, let's just make things simple - only registered Republicans should be allowed to vote.

BigAl 4 years, 6 months ago

That's a nice rant you have going there but is there any proof of illegals voting for anyone in Kansas? No. I can't even find a hint of a possibility of illegals voting in Kansas for anyone. Western Kansas is FULL of illegals and there is no record of them trying to vote anywere at anytime. By the way, I wonder why Kobach isn't going after the beef plants out there? Could it be because Cargill and others tend to be pretty big republican donors? I don't know.

andreainkansas 4 years, 6 months ago

Noncitizens aren't allowed to vote. And trust me, they don't. Why? Because it's a false claim to citizenship, which is the surest way to be removed and permanently ineligible for readmission to the United States. The only noncitizens who might vote are those who don't know they're not citizens, which is extraordinarily rare.

Immigrants, regardless of their statuses, aren't risking removal and permanent bars to vote in a Kansas election. Kobach is simply making up garbage, the same way he continues to tell people the instate tuition law violates federal law even though federal court after federal court rules precisely the opposite.

In KKKobach's world, apparently, you can just make up things and give a pretty-boy smile, and the sheeple follow.

God help us all.

BigAl 4 years, 6 months ago

Nice article. But, that isn't Kansas and it isn't referencing illegals.

BigAl 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm still waiting to see the proof of voter fraud being a problem in Kansas? Anyone? Anywhere?

I don't mind showing ID to vote, I just mind the false accusations and the mindless uproar over and issue that isn't there. Kansas has a lot of lockstep followers.