Archive for Wednesday, February 9, 2011

40 years ago: Sledding accidents result in broken bones on KU campus

February 9, 2011


From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Feb. 9, 1971:

  • Three sledding accidents had been reported recently from Kansas University, mostly from the Campanile Hill area. One KU junior had suffered a broken leg when the metal food tray he was using for a sled collided with a tree. A KU freshman, sledding near Ellsworth Hall, had a broken arm. Other accidents resulted in back injuries and assorted sprains and bruises.
  • An electronic organ had been stolen from the Baptist Student Center, 1629 W. 19th. Jerry Catt, director of the center, said that at least two persons would have been required to move the organ.
  • Fire from an overheated wall furnace caused an estimated $4,000 in damages to a rental home at 731 Ala. The family in residence had been eating breakfast when a neighbor alerted them to smoke coming from the second floor of the house.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.