Opinion

Opinion

Poor performance

Christina Aguilera’s performance of the national anthem at Sunday’s Super Bowl is getting attention for all the wrong reasons.

February 8, 2011

Aside from discussing the current situation in Egypt, the outcome of the Super Bowl game and the dismal weather situation throughout the country, the No. 1 water cooler conversation around the country on Monday might have been the manner in which the national anthem was delivered at the Super Bowl.

One question: Who was in charge of selecting the singer, and what was the grading system used to pick Christina Aguilera? Who was to have the honor to sing the anthem before the nation’s top sports event, which probably drew one of the largest live and television audiences of any national or international event?

Did the individual in charge of choosing Aguilera base the selection on who does the best and most inspiring job of singing the national anthem or is it based on who has the most star power? On either scorecard, Aguilera would have scored a C-minus.

Whatever the grading system, in the eyes of many, Aguilera was a disaster. She seemed determined to make herself the center of attention rather than to deliver an inspiring rendition of one of this country’s most important symbols. She forgot the words and injected too many variations from the original musical score.

Again, in the eyes of those selecting the singer for this very special presentation, what is more important: the impact and meaning of the song or the visual appearance and star power of the vocalist?

For football fans who have followed this year’s National Football League post-season games, the best and most powerful rendition of the national anthem was delivered by a male bass singer before the two Chicago Bears playoff games.

There was genuine and enthusiastic applause following his performance, whereas millions of those watching and hearing Aguilera must have wondered what her motive was in delivering the song in such a disrespectful and unprofessional manner.

Comments

915_Stroker 3 years, 8 months ago

MMMM, Smells of Kanye West, Limelight, News you Know!!:,

SkiddleKiddles 3 years, 8 months ago

Ms. Aguilera has a beautiful, powerful voice. I did not see her performance at the Super Bowl, but I can say especially in light of most of today's pop performers, I appreciate when a singer choses to perform live without lip synching, even if they do make mistakes. I'll bet that is a pretty intimidating audience knowing you are watched by billions of people worldwide.

FloridaSunshine 3 years, 8 months ago

As an "artist" (I use that term VERY loosely for this woman!!), she should be used to singing in front of anyone, don't you think? If not, she should give it up. Which isn't a bad idea, anyway. The woman cannot sing. Young people today do not have a clue as to what MUSIC and SINGING really are...it's all just so much "noise" now. If you did not see her performance then why are you posting??

cato_the_elder 3 years, 8 months ago

Made_in_China, "America the Beautiful" isn't "God Save the Queen." "America," whose first lines are "My country, 'tis of thee" was derived from "God Save the King (Queen)."

If you're going to be involved in public education, then at least demonstrate some modicum of intellect beyond bashing Sarah Palin.

Fixed_Asset 3 years, 8 months ago

Gosh, you poor, poor dear - jealous much? China has more intellect in one little whisker than you will ever hope to have.

FloridaSunshine 3 years, 8 months ago

Ewwwww...just visualizing what intellect in one little whisker may look like....ewwwwwww!!!!!!!

cato_the_elder 3 years, 8 months ago

I take it then, Fixed_Asset, that you believe that a person who doesn't know the difference between "America the Beautiful" and "America" is a person of intellect? Is that why you limited him to one whisker? What would he need to do to become a two-whisker thinker?

FloridaSunshine 3 years, 8 months ago

This is such fun!!! I love you Lawrence people!!

FloridaSunshine 3 years, 8 months ago

@cato...anyone has to admit...that's a really funny post...thanks for a hearty laugh!!

ralphralph 3 years, 8 months ago

Having a celebrity Liberal sing the Anthem is like having an atheist say the Lord's Prayer ... the words hold no meaning for her, so she can't remember them. How else can you explain such a gaffe by a woman who must know hundreds of songs? She didn't care and didn't try ... it was all about how she looked and how many syllables she could fit into each word. [note to young singers ... it's the Anthem, so just sing it straight. If you ain't Ray Charles, you ain't Ray Charles, and only Ray Charles could pull off the soulful-patriotic thing]

FloridaSunshine 3 years, 8 months ago

Ray Charles...the main man!!! He could make anything sound incredible, couldn't he?? He lives on through his music...I'm SO thankful for that!

sr80 3 years, 8 months ago

Confucius says one legged man does not enter ass kicking contest!!!! let it go people,she is only human.

meggers 3 years, 8 months ago

They should have gotten Lady Gaga. THAT would have made for some great water cooler conversation.

Seriously, though, it's silly to insist that anyone singing the anthem keep strictly to the original score. So Aguilera's interpretation wasn't to your liking- big deal. Every musician, (with the exception perhaps of a lounge singers on a cruise ship)exercises some creative license when performing a "cover song". And while it is also a national symbol, the Star Spangled Banner is one of the most frequently performed "cover" tunes in history.

Personally, I prefer Jimi Hendrix' rendition:

Meatwad 3 years, 8 months ago

Live images of soldiers in Afghanistan were on the gigantic screen above her, and then a celebrity with tearing eyes, and she got distracted. She apologized profusely, taking all of the blame. I'm sure that if it was you up there, you would be able to do it perfectly, right?

sr80 3 years, 8 months ago

of course i would,thats what its all about,doing it right.right???

FloridaSunshine 3 years, 8 months ago

You betcha...if I claimed to be a singer...and made the HUGE amounts of money some of these so-called singers make...I would be so very grateful...I would not get up and sing if I could not do it right.

sr80 3 years, 8 months ago

florida,who is the person in that photo ?

sr80 3 years, 8 months ago

so it represents your incarnate of ??.i was just wondering,she looks familiar.

sr80 3 years, 8 months ago

also florida you seem kind of feisty this afternoon,what got into you???.don't you remember giving lib1 & me crap yesterday?

FloridaSunshine 3 years, 8 months ago

It depends on the subject as to how feisty I get...my feistiness is never meant personally. We all have to "vent" and I think discussion forums are great places for that.
What was the subject you are referring to when I SUPPOSEDLY gave you and Liberty One a difficult time? :~)

There's only one person who posts who is really hard to take...can't stand to even see his/her name...he/she knows because I've posted that fact to him/her...not that he/she gives a care. I don't know the person, but can tell from his/her posts that he/she is a very self-centered, arrogant person. I cannot endure phonies.

In general, I enjoy all the folks posting on LJW!!

sr80 3 years, 8 months ago

christina ( i can't remember lyrics) messes up anthem. 2/7/11.good to hear from you!!

sr80 3 years, 8 months ago

no i don't.picture reminds me of a kids show on awhile ago.i don't remember name.

uncleandyt 3 years, 8 months ago

I'd rather see 500 singers goof up some lyrics than see one newspaper ignoring truth. I don't think she was wearing a flag-pin, Oh, the humanity !!

gccs14r 3 years, 8 months ago

I'm not a fan of the gussied-up versions of "The Star-Spangled Banner" anyway, but for a highly-paid professional singer to screw up the lyrics is inexcusable. The NFL should get a refund of her appearance fee.

bad_dog 3 years, 8 months ago

"The NFL should get a refund of her appearance fee. "

Which I believe was reported as nothing. Expenses only.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 8 months ago

This is nothing new. I have heard the National Anthem buchered by many, many "musicians" over the past many years. The basic problem is that the network people, the super bowl people, whatever people are behind the selection of the "performer" simply are musical idiots. They have no comprehension of musical talent and professionalism. The diddly-bop du whop character of much of what is amusingly termed "pop" "music" (sic) is devoid of any sort of content that would be regarded as "musical talent" And to allow an icon of this modern sludge passing for music to be trusted with this responsibility is a no brainer, most of these "American Idols" will butcher it up, with their alleged talent which consists of diddly bopping and du whopping up what should be performed straight and to the score.

But given the musical tastes and knowledge of many Americans, most could really not even notice that something was wrong.

somedude20 3 years, 8 months ago

could have been William Hung singing "she bang she bang...." Did anyone notice that after the "singing" there was a 3 hour football game on, for the super bowl,or did we just stop watching after Xina was done?

Scott Tichenor 3 years, 8 months ago

Where was Susan Boyle when we needed her?

beaujackson 3 years, 8 months ago

Singing the Star Spangled Banner requires both courage and ability.

Miss A. lacked the latter.

weeslicket 3 years, 8 months ago

i missed all this brouhaha. i guess i am now culturally deprived (i.e.,. cultural wardrobe malfunction).

here's an idea: how about at next year's superbowl, dolph simons sings the national anthem!

put your mouth where your mouth is (so to mouth).

FloridaSunshine 3 years, 8 months ago

ophiuchus...now that I've wept over these two videos, and my sinuses are completely messed up, I'm supposed to be able to sleep?
Beautiful...thanks for reminding us that sometimes "heart" is indeed enough.

redwombat 3 years, 8 months ago

There is true performance right here in our backyard. I heard this guy sing last night at the KU?Mizzou game and he was great. This is how it should be done. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv99Nk...

domino 3 years, 8 months ago

Read an article online where the writer stated that if she had sung it as well live as she had in rehersal, that it would have ranked right up there with Whitney Houston's 1991 rendetion. Apparently he is either deaf or a complete idiot!