Archive for Monday, February 7, 2011

Christina Aguilera messes up national anthem lyrics at Super Bowl

February 7, 2011

— Christina Aguilera says she flubbed a line as she belted out the national anthem at the start of the Super Bowl on Sunday night after getting lost in the moment and losing her place.

“I can only hope that everyone could feel my love for this country and that the true spirit of its anthem still came through,” she said in a statement after the performance.

When she was supposed to sing the line “O’er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming,” she instead repeated an earlier line, with a slight variation.

She sang, “What so proudly we watched at the twilight’s last reaming,” repeating and mangling an earlier lyric, with the word ‘watched’ instead of ‘hailed’ and ‘reaming’ instead of ‘gleaming.’

The mistake immediately set social networks abuzz with people commenting on the error.

She’s not the first person to mess up the lines of “The Star-Spangled Banner.” In 2001, Macy Gray was famously booed for her off-kilter rendition of the national anthem.

She garbled the words at the Pro Football Hall of Fame exhibition game in Canton, Ohio, her home state. She later told The Associated Press: “That was definitely life’s most embarrassing moment.”

And in December in Kansas City before a game between the Chiefs and the Denver Broncos, Mike Eli of the Eli Young Band flubbed up the lines of the song so badly that he had to start over.

Aguilera, who took the stage in a black dress, was returning to the Super Bowl after being one of the performers during the halftime show in Atlanta in 2000.

Comments

Maddy Griffin 6 years, 1 month ago

Bet this causes less uproar than Roseanne's rendition.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 1 month ago

But didn't Roseanne at least get the words right?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 1 month ago

I bet the lyricist, Francis Kottke, is rolling in his grave. Maybe they should get his great-great-great grandson, Leo Kottke, to sing it next time. (He's really great.)

Moderateguy 6 years, 1 month ago

Perhaps if she hadn't been so focused on her own "artistic vision" of the song, she might have sang the lyrics correctly. I didn't hear her screwup. As soon as I realized she was re-interpreting the notes, and stretching it out like so many do, I walked out of the room.

Just sing the daggum song. We don't need your own personal vision.

bad_dog 6 years, 1 month ago

Agreed. I like Aguilara, but can't stand that "breathy" rendition.

Whitney Houston's rendition circa 1991 or so was the best Super Bowl anthem performance I can recall.

FloridaSunshine 6 years, 1 month ago

@bad_dog...I taped that rendition of Whitney Houston singing at the Super Bowl...it was in Tampa...best rendition EVER!!!!! I can't remember the exact year...and the tape is in another location right now...(it was definitely when Whitney still had her amazing voice...)

Boston_Corbett 6 years, 1 month ago

Black Eyed Pees? I thought it was Mars Attacks.

I agree with Lewis Black's observations about the Super Bowl.

Ricky_Vaughn 6 years, 1 month ago

Agreed. They were horrible!!! I guess that's what happens when you take studio magic out of the studio...

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 1 month ago

The sound was down where I was watching, so they sounded just fine. (although I do like some of their stuff with the sound up.)

ivalueamerica 6 years, 1 month ago

I can not stand her, but in her defense, she has sang it before dozens of times for sports events and never botched it. It was a one time accident, not a lack of preparation or indifference. I also wish it would be sung more traditional and I am tired of everyone trying to stretch it out to along string of vocal scales.

Kontum1972 6 years, 1 month ago

mb she was a little too high...she was seen with Snoop...LoL....mudda pudda...yeow..!

labmonkey 6 years, 1 month ago

I am not a fan of any of Chicago's teams, but personally, I think this guy should sing the national anthem at every major sporting event:

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

I thought Christina was dead. Oh, wait, that was her career I was thinking of.

Richard Payton 6 years, 1 month ago

Who was that Glee singer? Do threaders think she sang better than Christina Aguilera?

pizzapete 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm surprised anyone even noticed. Reaming, that sounds better anyway.

BMD 6 years, 1 month ago

Christina is an entertainer who probably got paid more for this Superbowl gig than most people make in a year, she should be forced to give whatever they paid her back. This was a job, she should have been better prepared for this major performance. Entertainers get paid a lot of money for doing virtually minimal at best. The least she could have done was know the words. This is a patriotic song and with that in mind the words and vocals should have been tight. No excuses excepted.

67camille 6 years, 1 month ago

Actually Super Bowl performers aren't paid: The NFL does not pay the halftime show performers an appearance fee, though it covers all expenses for the performers and their entourage of stagehands, family, and friends http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_halftime_shows We had a similar conversation last night!

deec 6 years, 1 month ago

There was a football game yesterday?

Mary Darst 6 years, 1 month ago

Lea Michaels, who is a regular on Glee is awesome. I have never heard her sing anything that isn't spectacular.

inklines 6 years, 1 month ago

Francis Scott Key's lyrics are easy to remember if you know the story behind them and you think about what you are singing rather than trying to look and sound overly profound or flashy.

sr80 6 years, 1 month ago

i've got a "reaming" that you can be "watching" my dear christina!!

sr80 6 years, 1 month ago

so you say you are dreaming of a reaming.explain yourself please!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 1 month ago

One of my favorite songs of all time is "To Ream the Impossible Ream" by Jim Nabors (AKA Gomer Pyle.)

maxcrabb 6 years, 1 month ago

Just produced a show where the topic of the mistake took over. We watched the clip, and then I watched four grown men (from all different political standpoints) struggle to pinpoint which part of the anthem she messed up on. They went through the first 3 lines several times, and could not figure it out! I wonder how many people complaining would do the same... (no googling!) Lucky for me, Mr. Robinson taught us Broken Arrow students ALL the stanzas. Quite tiring :)

sr80 6 years, 1 month ago

it is a anthem that gave you the opportunity to spew your hyperbole.can't you acknowledge anything positive??

sr80 6 years, 1 month ago

no,the opportunity gave you the anthem.a song is what you screw up in the shower every weekend.i know you conserve water, isn't that right liberty none!!

PlayNiceWithOthers 6 years, 1 month ago

I believe what sr80 was saying is that the song was written by Francis Scott Key during the Battle of Fort McHenry in the War of 1812. He and our forefathers sacrificed much so that we could have the freedoms we enjoy so much today. Asking someone to practice the song so it is sung correctly at the largest annual sporting event in the US is not too much to ask. The song itself didn't give you the opportunity, but the history behind the song dig. Respect it.

PlayNiceWithOthers 6 years, 1 month ago

It may be fake for you to be patriotic but it's the real deal to others. Perhaps you should expend some of your vitriol towards this song to petition congress to institute a simpler sing-a-long song for our national anthem. Oh yeah, it's a song...just get over it and read a message board that isn't specifically about a song if there are things more pressing on your mind.

sr80 6 years, 1 month ago

i was wondering did you bow to the king/queen this morning?you surely are of english descent,long live the empire!!!

sr80 6 years, 1 month ago

how did you know i was into autoerotica,your smarter than your language shows .truly amazing

FloridaSunshine 6 years, 1 month ago

@sr80 and Liberty_One...

And I was thinking there was no hate going on with these postings!

Do you two even KNOW each other...or is your disdain for each other just from your postings? If it's just from your postings, that seems quite sad to me...it means you really don't even know each other. What a miserable turn of events!

sr80 6 years, 1 month ago

actually florida we are twins separated at birth.from the use of transcendental meditation i was able to contact my sibling.this is how we communicate.we don't believe in hate or love.we just speak our minds.

sr80 6 years, 1 month ago

so which one of us is the smartest.i think neither.till tomorrow.sweet dreams LO!!

FloridaSunshine 6 years, 1 month ago

@Agnostick...what a great point you made when you mentioned the name of Ray Charles in the same post with this horrendously horrible "singer"...Christina or whatever...Ray Charles was one of the greats who will live on and on. He could make any song sound spectacular. And, yes, maintaining dignity and respect was a Ray Charles trait, which hardly ever happens with the young "singers" these days. This Super Bowl "singer" not only messed up the words, she was off-key so much it hurt my ears and I was SO embarrassed for her...because she certainly didn't seem to be embarrassed for herself. I wonder what the Air Force Tops-In-Blue (singing behind her) thought...they were probably horrified!! Wish they had been the focus...I only watched that part of the Bowl to see the military performers...they're always top-notch. I left the room when the featured "singer" hit that last screeching note that went haywire!! Reminded me of fingernails on a chalkboard!!! EEWWW!! YUKKKK!! UGGGG!!

We have very few of the "oldies but goodies" left...Tony Bennett comes to mind. I'm so thankful they all live on through technology! The "musicians" and "singers" of today cannot come close...it is all just so much noise...which I detest.

FloridaSunshine 6 years, 1 month ago

@The_Big_B...sorry I missed your comment on Ray Charles! I agree!!

These dang threads....

yourworstnightmare 6 years, 1 month ago

This was a hilarious moment. You are putting yourself at risk whenever you agree to sing the national anthem. It is one of the most difficult, halting, arrhythmic "songs" to sing, because it was not composed as a song. The anachronistic language makes it worse.

She knew she was in trouble, and did an admirable job of finishing the anthem.

"For" the land of the free, and the home of the brave.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

I've not watched the video, but juding by the stills I've seen Christina's face looks like she was being assaulted by an invisible tentacle monster while she was singing.

FloridaSunshine 6 years, 1 month ago

Yep, that's how she looked as she was "singing"...it was just awful. Consider yourself lucky you didn't hear it...

svenway_park 6 years, 1 month ago

Singing and bump & grinding in leather and electronic uniforms belongs on entertainment shows.

Football belongs on sports shows.

Combining the two just isn't real smart.

FloridaSunshine 6 years, 1 month ago

Well, I completely agree with that! I've always thought football is mindless entertainment...but I won't get into that...it will cause all sorts of posts and I don't feel like getting blasted right now! :~)

pizzapete 6 years, 1 month ago

Yea, I was just thinking, isn't our anthem a rip off of an old British drinking song? It really is, right?

Kirk Larson 6 years, 1 month ago

It was a common practice at the time to write lyrics to tunes people were already familiar with, which is what Francis Scott Key did in this case. Can't you just imagine a bunch of drunk guys trying to hit the high note? Today it is reserved for Weird Al Yankovik.

pace 6 years, 1 month ago

What a great excuse to express hate. someone made a mistake, unforgivable, it is a conspiracy,I have proof that dog fighting was involved.

FloridaSunshine 6 years, 1 month ago

pace...did I miss something? Is anyone expressing HATE regarding this so-called "singer" not being able to "sing"?? If so, I definitely missed that... What is the hate about?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 1 month ago

I hate Christina almost as much as I hate Missouri.

Now if I could only remember why.

But who cares!! WE kicked their butts tonight. Well, I just drank beer. But if a basketball team falls over in the forest, and there is no one there to hear it, did they really win?

But how about the National Anthem. It really sucked didn't it?

Did I tell you how much I hate Christina?

6 years, 1 month ago

If she were to have lip synced it she's had caught flak too. It's tough getting up in front of 40 million people. ( now if she were to have lip synced and still messed it up, that would be different :))

Judgesmails 6 years, 1 month ago

people choke on this song all the time she just did it in front of 500 trillion people

plus, she was probably high on salina bath salt

Brent Garner 6 years, 1 month ago

Am simply wondering about something. She knew well in advance that she would be performing and where and all the particulars. It would seem that if one is going to perform in such a public forum that one would take the time to practice and ensure that one is completely ready for said performance. Or, would that be being unreasonable?

pizzapete 6 years, 1 month ago

What's up with all those people wearing hats? They wouldn't get away with that in Lawrence.

ScottyMac 6 years, 1 month ago

Nah. In Lawrence, they besmirch the anthem by yelling "Chiefs" instead.

purplesage 6 years, 1 month ago

That butchering of the national anthem was so awful who noticed the botched line, anyway? Why do they get these pop artists that have to try out 4 different notes, sliding around from pitch to pitch and sometimes altering melody, timing and even words?

It would be a toss up for worst performance of the day though, compared to the half time show.

Whatever happened to a marching band? And even when there is one on the fiel, the talking football heads have precedence.

geekin_topekan 6 years, 1 month ago

. . . ♪ and the ♫ skies are not ♪ cloudy all day♫♪♫!

sissezz 6 years, 1 month ago

My 15 yr old daughter noticed the mistake right away.... so some people are listening

sissezz 6 years, 1 month ago

oh by the way she used to have an amazing voice but wow she did butcher the anthem!