Archive for Saturday, February 5, 2011

Pedestrian flown to hospital, in critical condition following accident near 23rd and Iowa streets

A pedestrian crossing 23rd Street near Iowa Street was struck by at least one vehicle, according to police. The patient was flown to a Kansas City area hospital with life-threatening injuries.

February 5, 2011, 9:07 p.m. Updated February 6, 2011, 9:27 a.m.

A 29-year-old Lawrence man is listed in critical condition at a Kansas City-area hospital after he was struck by two vehicles at the intersection of 23rd and Iowa streets Saturday around 8 p.m., according to Lawrence Police Sgt. Kirk Fultz.

The man was transported by a LifeStar helicopter following the accident. Fultz said the critical condition status of the man was current as of 11 p.m. Saturday. The man's name has not yet been released by police.

According to Fultz, the man was crossing the intersection from the north end to the south when he was struck by two eastbound vehicles. Lawrence police blocked off an area around the scene of the accident to control the flow of traffic at the busy intersection.

Lawrence resident Joseph Henderson was stopped in northbound traffic on Iowa Street with his wife and daughter when the accident occurred. According to Henderson, the patient had left the parking lot of Freddy's Frozen Custard, 2030 West 23rd St., and was attempting to climb over the ice on the small island between the turn lane and westbound traffic lanes of 23rd Street when he slipped and appeared to fall hard.

He said the man continued to cross the street and was halfway across the eastbound lanes when a car traveling with the green light narrowly missed hitting him. The man jumped back and was then struck in the side by a truck heading east. According to Henderson the man seemed to roll over the truck and, though Henderson said he couldn't see clearly, the man looked to have been hit by the next vehicle.

Medical crews worked to stabilize the patient in an ambulance before transferring him to a LifeStar helicopter that was waiting in the parking lot of Hobby Lobby, 1801 W. 23rd St. The patient was then flown to a Kansas City-area hospital for further treatment.

As of 9 a.m. Sunday morning, Fulltz said he was not able to provide additional details regarding the incident.

Check back to LJWorld.com for more information as it becomes available.

Comments

lawrencejna 4 years, 6 months ago

probably was at the intersection but didn't see the accident. go troll somewhere else.

auntmimi210 4 years, 6 months ago

Not making light of a horrible accident in any way...but your reply was pretty funny , & non troll-like.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 6 months ago

...help only the person saying the prayer.

FloridaSunshine 4 years, 6 months ago

Oh, Puuuhhhllllleeeezzzzzeeeeee..........

lawrencejna 4 years, 6 months ago

We were at the stoplight, northbound. Guy was coming across the east side of 23rd street, headed south. He slipped and fell hard on the north island, between the turn lane and the straight lane. He got up and stumbled across 23rd. A few cars missed him, then a truck headed eastbound hit him. He flew over the truck and it appeared he was hit by a second vehicle. We called 911 and related those details to them. The people in the truck and a few others got out to help the guy. We pulled into the Freddy's parking lot to finish the 911 call and check if the guy survived. Police were on the scene within 1 minute, and the ambulance arrived in about 2 minutes.

KUDesmom 4 years, 6 months ago

I am a KU mom - and I can't get in touch with my son. lawrencejna could you tell me what color the victim was? Thank you

auntmimi210 4 years, 6 months ago

jackpot 4 years, 6 months ago

Story said fell hard. Maybe hit his head?

Nikki Kessler Pickens 4 years, 6 months ago

Ugh...that is awful. I feel so bad for the guy, and his family. Prayers. For sure.

KUDesmom 4 years, 6 months ago

lawrencejna 4 years, 6 months ago

white male, 20s or 30s. wearing black leather-ish jacket.

KUDesmom 4 years, 6 months ago

Thank you! Not my son! I pray for the young man and his family!

Bob Forer 4 years, 6 months ago

What happened to slowing down when driving through an intersection?.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 6 months ago

not meaning to make light of this or criticize the poor guy hit multiple times.

when I read the info here, it reads as if he was trying to cross when he had a don't walk/red light?

am I reading correctly? I also know the info is from one guy on the scene in an article put up quickly.

lawrencejna 4 years, 6 months ago

He was walking against the the "don't walk" signal. The cars were following the green light.

When I got home I checked ljWorld to see if the guy was still alive. Then i posted my account. The editor of the story called me up to get an official account and added it to the story. If I understood the editor correctly, he got to the scene at about the same time as the life flight helicopter, thus the video.

breeze 4 years, 6 months ago

This is terribly sad and I hope this man will survive. The winter weather in Lawrence is dangerous and I regret that he was on foot at that busy intersection in those conditions. I pray he will survive and somehow recover.

gsxr600 4 years, 6 months ago

Weird because as I was stopped at 23rd and Iowa yesterday I thought to myself why the sidewalks hadn't been cleared off at the intersection especially when the city makes it such a big deal. A lot of people cross there too, it's sad to think that could have been a contributer to the accident since he presumably fell because of it and then might have been jumbled up after the hard hit.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 6 months ago

I agree. Those 4 islands at 23rd & Iowa don't get cleared. I see all kinds of pedestrians trying to negotiate those ice and snow mountains every day.

blindrabbit 4 years, 6 months ago

That intersection is a tough one for pedestrians; streets are very wide, lots of traffic. Compounding this is the fact that 3 of the 4 corners have non-stop right turning lanes; the exception being Eastbound 23 rd. st. turning onto Southbound Iowa St. Maybe no one at fault; just need to be more attentive!

sr80 4 years, 6 months ago

either way you look at it. trying to get across that intersection even in normal conditions is quite a feat in itself.

lawrencejna 4 years, 6 months ago

Yes; at least it looked that way to me.

Lana Christie-Hayes 4 years, 6 months ago

They should keep those cross-walks clear of ice and snow! If he slipped on ice in the actual cross-walk at the intersection, is sounds to me like the city could have some fault here. Poor guy! I pray that he will survive and for his family and friends to deal with this situation in whatever way is necessary.

BigPrune 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm sure the City is exempt from any responsibility if the crosswalk was covered in a mound of snow this poor guy had to maneuver over. I think it was the Tort Reform Act that exempts them from responsibility.....as for our sidewalks, that's another story.

angel4dennis 4 years, 6 months ago

This is a sad situation. I am thankful that my family did not witness this as we came upon it as the helicopter was landing. Please pray that this young man will make a full recovery! Please also pray for those involved, hitting someone is a horrible feeling!