Archive for Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sheriff: Boy’s report of sexual assault on I-35 near Ottawa a hoax

February 3, 2011

Franklin County Sheriff’s officers Thursday morning said an alleged sexual assault reported Monday night on Interstate 35 was a hoax.

Officers said they re-interviewed a 14-year-old Kansas City, Mo., boy who made the initial allegation that he was assaulted by a stranger who picked him up as he was walking to a gasoline station east of Ottawa. The boy had initially told authorities that his family had car trouble and that he was walking to a nearby service station for help.

“The alleged victim confessed to making up the report. It is unknown at this time why the boy made up the story,” Undersheriff Steve Lunger said in a statement.

Officers Tuesday even released a description the suspect the boy had given them and asked anyone with information in the case to call investigators. Lunger’s statement to the media Thursday morning about the hoax did not say if the boy would face any criminal charges for making the false report.

Comments

jhawkinsf 3 years, 7 months ago

This one smelled fishy from the beginning.

Kontum1972 3 years, 7 months ago

somedude20 3 years, 7 months ago

what a turd thing to do. this "boy," although some would say that 14 years of age is hardly a boy, should know better. If I was going to make up a story, I don't know that I would go around saying some dude had his way with me even if it were true. weird that the "boy" picked that one, maybe he thought it would be like that "the secret" stuff when if you say something enough it happens.

ksjayhawk74 3 years, 7 months ago

My guess is the kid came up with the story because he didn't want to walk all the way to the gas station. It was during a blizzard.

somedude20 3 years, 7 months ago

This happened Monday night. The Blizzard was not until Tuesday (in fact, Monday night the freezing rain stopped and it was not all that bad)

sr80 3 years, 7 months ago

somedude20 3 years, 7 months ago

I loved that moment when ballon boy dropped the dime on his parents on live TV. I think I could smeel the parents poop themselves when they heard that. Bet Santa did not bring ballon boy much this past year

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 7 months ago

Goes to prove my point about young people having no morals and degenerates.

Stuart Evans 3 years, 7 months ago

yes, that's the correct reaction, because every child is exactly the same...please oh please tell me where you find your morals.

Lisa Rasor 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm wondering if something awful did happen to this boy, and either the real story is too hard to tell, or he's being pressured not to tell the real story. I do hope he is getting some good counseling.

pace 3 years, 7 months ago

Teenagers all pull something sometime. Some work it out, some don't . Counseling is helpful to some of them. I am hoping KEITHMILES05 gets counseling, His generalizing and denigration of the "young' people" is not a healthy and accurate view. The majority of young people I know are great and amazing people. The kid next door jumps up and helps us shovel. My daughters friends are intelligent, creative and people of character. My nephews are better than his aunts and uncles were as kids. I also know a little criminal in the making down the street that I suspect of a lot of vandalism and petty theft. Just like all the generations before them, it is a mix.

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 7 months ago

Young people today do not think they have to be held accountable. It's an entitlement attitude. With that comes very little responsibility. All this occurs with the permissive attitude of parents. As they say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Stuart Evans 3 years, 7 months ago

hold jeez you old codger. keep your stupid little dog on his leash and I'll keep my kids out of your yard. there, feel stereotyped enough?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 3 years, 7 months ago

"Here's your gas, dad. Oh, and it cost more than just $3.00 a gallon!"

My guess is he was trying to lay a guilt trip on someone and didn't think it all through.