Archive for Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Suspect sought after alleged sexual assault of 14-year-old boy who was walking to gas station

February 1, 2011

Franklin County Sheriff’s officers are looking for a man suspected of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old Kansas City, Mo., boy Monday night on Interstate 35 as the boy was walking to a gas station after his family had car trouble in the winter storm.

Undersheriff Steve Lunger said the boy’s family had car problems about 10 p.m. Monday about a mile south of I-35’s junction with Kansas Highway 68, just east of Ottawa. The boy started walking toward the nearest gas station when a man stopped and asked the boy if he wanted a ride.

The boy got into the truck, and the man sexually assaulted him. Then the suspect made the boy get out of the truck, Lunger said.

The boy then walked to the gas station and returned to his family.

Lunger said officers are looking for a white man between the ages of 26 and 28 with dark brown hair, blue eyes and a medium build. The suspect does not have facial hair and was driving a medium-sized pickup truck, although no color of the vehicle was given.

Investigators are asking anyone who might have seen something from 9 p.m. to 10:15 p.m. Monday in the area of I-35 to call 785-242-3800 and ask for Detective Bob Moews.

Comments

goodcountrypeople 4 years, 3 months ago

"Can I help you?" When random, aggressive strangers approach pedestrians with this come-on is that hick-ese for "Let me molest you"? They sure are handsy in this part of the country. Who wants a stranger pawing their stuff? Any city where you can't feel safe walk for exercise and to reduce your carbon footprint for fear of being terrorized and molested is unlivable.

ohjayhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

Perhaps it was mom OR dad, the 14 yr old and younger children in the car. I would think the parent would want to stay behind with the younger ones. I'm just speculating, but I think this would be a viable reason for why the 14 yr old was walking by himself.

SpeedRacer 4 years, 3 months ago

14 is not that young to be walking to the gas station.

evilpenguin 4 years, 3 months ago

This is terrible, I hope they find that guy and floor him! Stund makes a good point though, why was this 14 year old boy walking to a gas station by himself at 10pm?

Bladerunner 4 years, 3 months ago

Wasn't "Deliverance" filmed in Franklin County? I hear banjos every time I drive through Ottawa.

RaynRavyn 4 years, 3 months ago

Nope. Deliverance was shot in Tallulah Gorge near Clayton, Ga., the Chattooga River between Ga and South Carolina, in Salem South Carolina, and Sylva, North Carolina. :) Random bit of useless trivia...

Terry Jacobsen 4 years, 3 months ago

Sorry. I would have left the 14 year old in a locked car with whatever family was there and walked myself. An interstate hwy at 10pm on a winter night?? Please. That just sounds risky.

pace 4 years, 3 months ago

Please, after you blame the parents, the kid, exclaim in wonder that someone took a ride in the storm in an emergency. Lets talk about the creep. It the story is true, the child molester is probably known to someone. If someone knows a creep that fits the description, at least forward the name to the authorities, It might help them get an identification. I hope he gets caught or comes forward.

Glenn Reed 4 years, 3 months ago

Not exactly sure what to say about the article. I never am, when I read such material. I hope they find the guy, and he gets dealt with appropriately.

About the commentary, however....

The article said that the family had car trouble. The members of the family are not described, and the details aren't exactly relevant. The 14-year-old boy was given the task of going to get help. Given the knowledge the family had at the time, he was likely the best choice. It was an emergency scenario, hindsight is 20/20, and there is no way this possibly could have been predicted to happen.

Blaming this kid is the wrong thing to do. Blaming this kid's family is the wrong thing to do.

The fact that anyone would immediately start pointing fingers at the victims simply makes me sick.

flux 4 years, 3 months ago

I cant believe everyone missed the whole point